Which NFL team has the worst QB situation going into 2014?

Which team has the worst QB situation?  

252 members have voted

1. 1. Which team has the worst QB situation?

• NY Jets (Vick/Geno)
    • Bills (EJ/Thad)
    • Cleveland (Johnny/Hoyer)
    • Tennessee (Locker/Whitehurst/Mettenberger)
    • Houston (Fitz/Keenum/Yates/Savage)
    • Jax (Bortles/Henne)
    • Raiders (Schaub/Carr)
    • Minnesota (Bridgewater/Ponder/Cassell)
    • TB (Glennon/McCown)
    • St. Louis (Bradford/Shaun Hill/Garrett Gilbert)

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I like Teddy a lot as a prospect. Cassel has had a pretty good career as well. He was decent last year and has had a few good years prior. I would rather have Teddy & Cassel than EJ & Thad.

Bridgewater seems to be a one year wonder. Not a natural passer. Struggled to throw in pro day. I don't see good things.

Bridgewater seems to be a one year wonder. Not a natural passer. Struggled to throw in pro day. I don't see good things.

It's funny because I think the exact opposite. I think that people factored in his pro day way too much. He shredded teams for 2 years including in his biggest games. His performances in the bowl games the last two years against Florida and Miami (especially Florida) were outstanding. I would trade EJ straight up for him tomorrow if offered.

Like I said I think that Teddy and Johnny will be the best QBs on that list from this point forward. I like EJ's potential as much as any of the other young QBs.

You say Johnny is unproven so you take Thad over him.

Is Thad proven? Taking Thaddeus Lewis over Johnny F. Football is quite a statement

Yes it might be a big jump. Thad I know he can make the throws I don't know about Manziel! Does Johnny have for upside yes, but he still hasn't played a NFL game yet.

Right then. Neither has proven anything in 2014. If anyone can say with a straight face they would prefer Thad Lewis over manziel as a backup for the Buffalo Bills. then I just have to disiagree. Which was the intent of my original response.

It all comes down to. Ill pick the Veteran that wins games, then a unproven rookie. No one knows how Johnny will do in the NFL, I'm going to take Thad as a backup because I know he can win in the NFL. Maybe down the road in a couple of years ill take Johnny as backup, as of right now I like Thad as a backup. I know what your saying, you have a good point though.

I deleted my vote 4 times. Settled on Tennesee. They have nothing but a QB. At least Minnesota has AP. Cleveland has a good team. Jets. Jags. TB aren't too bad.raiders and the bills both might surprise people with their QBs

I won't even mention the other team because they play in such an awful place but I like what Fitz offers that team for 2014.

I deleted my vote 4 times. Settled on Tennesee. They have nothing but a QB. At least Minnesota has AP. Cleveland has a good team. Jets. Jags. TB aren't too bad.raiders and the bills both might surprise people with their QBs

I won't even mention the other team because they play in such an awful place but I like what Fitz offers that team for 2014.

I keep changing my mind, too. Still surprised that Houston is winning the worst poll.

The fact we ALL are honestly debating whether we have the WORST, 2nd from worst or even 9th from worst QB situation in the NFL is a travesty!!! ---- we need to have that position in the top 16 to have ANY chance of making it to the playoffs --- just look at last year's playoff teams and their QB's --- NE (Brady), Balt (Flacco), Indy (Luck), KC (A Smith), Den (peyton), Cincy (Dalton), Sea (R Wilson), Car (Newton, NO (Brees), Philly (Foles), GB (Rodgers), SF (Kaepernick)!!! -- all those teams had QB's that are considered in the TOP HALF of the NFL !! --- we are debating which portion of the bottom 1/4 our guys are in, that's ridiculous -- PLAYOFFS ? --- come on -- it's travesty that this position wasn't upgraded in the off-season --- yet, polls on Buffalo Rumblings have Brandon and Whaley both over 80% fan approval, I don't get it

Edited by TXBILLSFAN

The fact we ALL are honestly debating whether we have the WORST, 2nd from worst or even 9th from worst QB situation in the NFL is a travesty!!! ---- we need to have that position in the top 16 to have ANY chance of making it to the playoffs --- just look at last year's playoff teams and their QB's --- NE (Brady), Balt (Flacco), Indy (Luck), KC (A Smith), Den (peyton), Cincy (Dalton), Sea (R Wilson), Car (Newton, NO (Brees), Philly (Foles), GB (Rodgers), SF (Kaepernick)!!! -- all those teams had QB's that are considered in the TOP HALF of the NFL !! --- we are debating which portion of the bottom 1/4 our guys are in, that's ridiculous -- PLAYOFFS ? --- come on -- it's travesty that this position wasn't upgraded in the off-season --- yet, polls on Buffalo Rumblings have Brandon and Whaley both over 80% fan approval, I don't get it

Some of those QBs (Foles, Smith, even Rivers based on where he was at that point) were not considered top half the year before that though, and that is all we have to go on at this point - last year. not saying I know for sure EJ will be in the top half in 2014, but I do think he can take this team to the playoffs this year. Edited by YoloinOhio

Some of those QBs (Foles, Smith, even Rivers based on where he was at that point) were not considered top half the year before that though, and that is all we have to go on at this point - last year. not saying I know for sure EJ will be in the top half in 2014, but I do think he can take this team to the playoffs this year.

Agree on Foles and Smith, but Rivers had a bad year in 2012, so he slipped in some minds, but is generally considered a top 16 QB by most --- I should have said, "you need a QB that performs in the top half of the league to have a legitimate chance to get to the playoffs" -- it's unusual to get to playoffs without that type of play from your QB -- if you do, you have a GREAT defense and/or GREAT running game -- or a lot of luck --- Edited by TXBILLSFAN

Agree on Foles and Smith, but Rivers had a bad year in 2012, so he slipped in some minds, but is generally considered a top 16 QB by most --- I should have said, "you need a QB that performs in the top half of the league to have a legitimate chance to get to the playoffs" -- it's unusual to get to playoffs without that type of play from your QB -- if you do, you have a GREAT defense and/or GREAT running game -- or a lot of luck ---

I of course don't disagree that a team's chances to make the playoffs when the QB is in the top half of the league are greater than not. I just don't know where EJ will be yet since only have his rookie year to go on. But, then again, I am not one of the ones debating whether he is one of the worst in the league. I only included the Bills in this poll because of another thread in which it was discussed that was the case. Just as there are top NFL QBs sitting at home during the playoffs every year, there are always a couple surprises.

I do disagree somewhat on Rivers. That fan base was very much ready to give up on him going into 2013 and they had not made the playoffs the 3 yrs previous to doing so in 2013. I have no idea where he was ranked stats-wise amongst QBs 2010-2012 but I know the fans felt he was not the answer because they didn't make the playoffs all that time. I do know the new FO wanted to give him one more year (because 2012 was SO bad) before moving on, and he took advantage. The coaching change was huge for him.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Agree on Foles and Smith, but Rivers had a bad year in 2012, so he slipped in some minds, but is generally considered a top 16 QB by most --- I should have said, "you need a QB that performs in the top half of the league to have a legitimate chance to get to the playoffs" -- it's unusual to get to playoffs without that type of play from your QB -- if you do, you have a GREAT defense and/or GREAT running game -- or a lot of luck ---

So playoffs here we come !

Just be mediocre , just be mediocre or better EJ please ! That might be all we need to get in and maybe win one .

We would still need a bit of luck too

Just be mediocre , just be mediocre or better EJ please ! That might be all we need to get in and maybe win one .

I actually agree with you --- I think if EJ can play above the bottom 1/3rd we have a good chance to make playoffs --- I think defense will be Top 10 and I think running game could be Top 10 -- that should be enough to win 10

I was gonna say Tenn as first glance, and then thought of all the talent now on their line, as they should do better this season even if Locker gets hurt again by just handing off to Sankey. Then I was going to say Minnesota but then Norv Turner is there as OC. I chose Houston, and gave it a bit more thought and now think that the Jags could have the worst QB situation with Bortles / Henne.

The Bills still have some serious questions at both their guard positions, and if not for those two positions I know I'd be much more confidant about the offensive performance in the upcoming season.

Anyway, whats funny is almost all the choices have new head coaches, and those teams have all undergone recent regime change....save the Jets who could be changing regimes after this season. :lol:

Too much bias and bitterness in this poll. Bills fans WISH they had Fitz competing with 3 young prospects. This is what we shoulda had!! Nix blew it!

I picked Titans. Locker is made of glass.

Not this Bills fan. I've seen that movie already.

The thing is, who exactly was mentoring all those rookie QB's on the Bills roster last year? No QB coach, a NFL rookie OC, and no experienced QB on the roster who knows how to read coverage's, knows how to call, set protections for the line.

Fitz did know his stuff on how to call, set protections for the line, and knew where the ball should go most of the time. He would have been a great mentor for EJ IMHO. I think one of the biggest failures of this regime under Marrone was to not recognize the fact that he needed (still needs) a proven veteran QB to help guide the new QB's, and his bromance for Jeff Tuel will help his in his undoing.

For awhile now this Board seems to pile on the Browns for having a bad QB situation and I really don't get it.

Even without Johnny F they have a QB that in 2.5 games in 2013 had 5 TDs, 3 pics, for 615, completed virtually 60% of his passes, beat his divisions eventual champion and was technically 3-0 when he left for the season.

I never want to see anyone get hurt and lose a season, but I couldn't have been the only one that breathed a sigh of relief when he went out of that game last year.

However, for some reason this guy gets Rodney type respect.

...just don't get it.

BTW, i picked the Jags.

For awhile now this Board seems to pile on the Browns for having a bad QB situation and I really don't get it.

Even without Johnny F they have a QB that in 2.5 games in 2013 had 5 TDs, 3 pics, for 615, completed virtually 60% of his passes, beat his divisions eventual champion and was technically 3-0 when he left for the season.

I never want to see anyone get hurt and lose a season, but I couldn't have been the only one that breathed a sigh of relief when he went out of that game last year.

However, for some reason this guy gets Rodney type respect.

...just don't get it.

BTW, i picked the Jags.

Not to nitpick, but Hoyer went out of the Bills game in his second series and to that point had led his team to 0 points. If he is given credit for that win, it doesn't lend to the reality of Brian Hoyer IMO. But I'll leave the hometown hero alone. If a UDFA on his 4th team in 5 yrs can beat out a 1st rd draft pick, more power to him.

Not to nitpick, but Hoyer went out of the Bills game in his second series and to that point had led his team to 0 points. If he is given credit for that win, it doesn't lend to the reality of Brian Hoyer IMO. But I'll leave the hometown hero alone. If a UDFA on his 4th team in 5 yrs can beat out a 1st rd draft pick, more power to him.

Fair enough, but still 2-0 as a starter, and that being said they do have Manziel, which above and beyond my comments concerning Hoyer, I just don't see how there in the horrible position that some here make it out to be.

Fair enough, but still 2-0 as a starter, and that being said they do have Manziel, which above and beyond my comments concerning Hoyer, I just don't see how there in the horrible position that some here make it out to be.

Probably all depends on one's view of Manziel's potential in the NFL which is pretty polarizing. If you think he will be a winning franchise QB in the NFL, then you wouldn't see it as a bad situation. If you think he is a hot mess, his style won't translate, or he is at best a project (and bound to get injured a lot), then the prospect of him +Hoyer leading the way might not look too shiny. I don't really know what to expect with Manziel and my feeling is that he could be a good, because he is accurate. But just don't know how long he'll last. There was a local reporter on the radio who was at his minicamp and commented on how tiny he looks in person. He said he just looks small out there and even without pads, there were times where he held the ball so long that he said he thought he would be out for the year rather quickly with the pass rush coming at him. Should be interesting to watch but, based on all reports out of Cleveland, I think there is a very good chance Hoyer wins the job and we don't see him unless Hoyer gets hurt or is benched. Edited by YoloinOhio

Probably all depends on one's view of Manziel's potential in the NFL which is pretty polarizing. If you think he will be a winning franchise QB in the NFL, then you wouldn't see it as a bad situation. If you think he is a hot mess, his style won't translate, or he is at best a project (and bound to get injured a lot), then the prospect of him +Hoyer leading the way might not look too shiny. I don't really know what to expect with Manziel and my feeling is that he could be a good, because he is accurate. But just don't know how long he'll last. There was a local reporter on the radio who was at his minicamp and commented on how tiny he looks in person. He said he just looks small out there and even without pads, there were times where he held the ball so long that he said he thought he would be out for the year rather quickly with the pass rush coming at him. Should be interesting to watch but, based on all reports out of Cleveland, I think there is a very good chance Hoyer wins the job and we don't see him unless Hoyer gets hurt or is benched.

Interesting, Yolo. Thanks.

That situation (hometown boy v. savior?) really could get out of hand quickly if things don't go right in either scenario.

Interesting, Yolo. Thanks.

That situation (hometown boy v. savior?) really could get out of hand quickly if things don't go right in either scenario.

I think Pettine is handling it well so far, FWIW. If hoyer wins the job, I don't think he'll cave to the pressure of the fans calling for Manziel. He seems to be really grounded and old-school in his approach to it and it setting the stage now so fans have time to get used to the fact he won't be playing. He leaving the door slightly ajar, saying Hoyer's lead is solid but not insurmountable. I think this story would have been absolute gold on Hard Knocks.

I thought Hoyer looked pretty damn good, he seemed to be making good decisions was getting the ball out quick I would take him here n Buffalo in a heartbeat. Spent the last 15 years watching indecisive QBs hold onto the ball to long, I think Hoyers the real deal!!!

I grew up watching the Bills lose 20 straight to Miami beating them twice means a lot to me.....

I actually agree with you --- I think if EJ can play above the bottom 1/3rd we have a good chance to make playoffs --- I think defense will be Top 10 and I think running game could be Top 10 -- that should be enough to win 10

Agree on both points.

Let's not forget how weak the AFC is overall.

If Manuel can be average, there is no excuse for the Bills to not get at least a wild card.

Edited by Mark Vader

just making the worst list at the single most important position on the team is bad enough.

True but to be fair it is just a made-up list in response to another thread in which it was commented something to that effect. I only put him on the list for that reason. He wouldn't make my "worst QB situation list" in reality.

You say Johnny is unproven so you take Thad over him.

Is Thad proven? Taking Thaddeus Lewis over Johnny F. Football is quite a statement

Yeah, The love for Thad in this town, I think is infounded, similarily, the hate for Tuel is also unfounded.

I actually like Tuel better as a prospect. Until, "the throw" vs. KC, i thought he moved the team better than any Bills QB last year.

Sure, it wasn't great, or maybe even good, but it didn't have to be, to be our best from last year.

I think he got the ball out to the right guy faster than the other two..... Tuel's arm still scares me, but I think he is a decent prospect; a good guy to have as your third-stringer especially because he too, enters his second season as a Bill in this offense.

I give EJ more of a bump entering his second year, because he works hard, sez all the right things, and has the skills needed to play at the ralph.

I do think we have a little more than just EJ though..... Thad did surprise me in the last game of the season, so even though I think he is over-rated in Buffalo, I think his game might surprise me again.

EJ's inaccuracies do raise my eye brow a little, but I also understand he is a raw piece of clay that has come a long way, but still has a long way to go before, the way they want him to play, becomes second nature.

Lastly, I am one of the few that was glad to see Tuel buffed-up coming to camp. Maybe his arm is a little stronger but surely, he will be less prone to injury and things of that nature.

I don't know who has the worst set of QBs; but I can tell you who has the best team to, "grow" a great NFL QB. That would be Buffalo...

Go Bills!

I'm going off menu and choosing the Carolina Panthers. I'm not a Cam hater -- I actually think he's a very good QB. But he has almost zero supporting cast. That'll force him to run more, and running QBs with limited options typically get clobbered. If and when he goes down, who steps in? Derek Anderson? Joe Webb?

• Offensive Line: LT Jordan Gross retired. Conventional wisdom was they'd draft his replacement this year. They didn't. Byron Bell -- the guy who gave up 4.5 sacks to Mario Williams last year -- is seriously being considered to protect Newton's blind side this year. That can't be good. Hangartner retired. The Panthers have Kalil at center and Nate Chandler will fit in somewhere. Who else? It's a scary situation for Cam.
  • Wide Receiver / Tight End: Greg Olsen is reliable, but a double team takes him out of the game. Steve Smith is gone, so who is Cam's go-to guy? Jason Avant? Jerricho Cotchery? Rookie Kelvin Benjamin had better be all that AND a bag of chips.
  • Running Back: Stewart and Williams are average backs who will struggle behind that ragtag offensive line. I like FB Mike Tolbert, but again -- the running game goes nowhere with that line. The Panthers were 11th in rushing last year in large part due to Cam, NOT the RBs.

Once more -- to be clear -- I think Newton could be great in the right system. This is far from an ideal situation/system for a QB like him, and, like Michael Vick -- who got injured year in and year out because he lacked a supporting cast and had to do everything himself -- I can easily see Cam getting injured very early in the season, setting up the worst QB situation in the NFL.

I'm going off menu and choosing the Carolina Panthers. I'm not a Cam hater -- I actually think he's a very good QB. But he has almost zero supporting cast. That'll force him to run more, and running QBs with limited options typically get clobbered. If and when he goes down, who steps in? Derek Anderson? Joe Webb?

• Offensive Line: LT Jordan Gross retired. Conventional wisdom was they'd draft his replacement this year. They didn't. Byron Bell -- the guy who gave up 4.5 sacks to Mario Williams last year -- is seriously being considered to protect Newton's blind side this year. That can't be good. Hangartner retired. The Panthers have Kalil at center and Nate Chandler will fit in somewhere. Who else? It's a scary situation for Cam.
  • Wide Receiver / Tight End: Greg Olsen is reliable, but a double team takes him out of the game. Steve Smith is gone, so who is Cam's go-to guy? Jason Avant? Jerricho Cotchery? Rookie Kelvin Benjamin had better be all that AND a bag of chips.
  • Running Back: Stewart and Williams are average backs who will struggle behind that ragtag offensive line. I like FB Mike Tolbert, but again -- the running game goes nowhere with that line. The Panthers were 11th in rushing last year in large part due to Cam, NOT the RBs.

Once more -- to be clear -- I think Newton could be great in the right system. This is far from an ideal situation/system for a QB like him, and, like Michael Vick -- who got injured year in and year out because he lacked a supporting cast and had to do everything himself -- I can easily see Cam getting injured very early in the season, setting up the worst QB situation in the NFL.

All good points.

I think the Panthers are going to struggle this year. They will need their defense to keep them in most games. I don't know why the Panthers only drafted 1 WR.

If Newton gets injured the Panthers are screwed.

All good points.

I think the Panthers are going to struggle this year. They will need their defense to keep them in most games. I don't know why the Panthers only drafted 1 WR.

If Newton gets injured the Panthers are screwed.

They did sign Philly Brown as a UDFA, and he was very productive at Ohio State. I would not be surprised if he eventually takes on the role Tedd Ginn,Jr. had last year (obviously he isn't quite TG2 in straight line speed but he does still run a 4.4, can return kicks and has very good hands). Edited by YoloinOhio

They did sign Philly Brown as a UDFA, and he was very productive at Ohio State. I would not be surprised if he eventually takes on the role Tedd Ginn,Jr. had last year (obviously he isn't quite TG2 in straight line speed but he does still run a 4.4, can return kicks and has very good hands).

Even if Brown makes the team, he would be a part of: Jason Avant, Kelvin Benjamin, Jerricho Cotchery, Marvin McNutt & Tiquan Underwood.

Will that roster of WR's be keeping defensive coordinators up at night?

Even if Brown makes the team, he would be a part of: Jason Avant, Kelvin Benjamin, Jerricho Cotchery, Marvin McNutt & Tiquan Underwood.

Will that roster of WR's be keeping defensive coordinators up at night?

Haha, no, I agree. Still think they should have kept Steve Smith. Brandon LaFell was pretty average IMO so replacing him with Avant/Cotchery is fine. I literally never heard of McNutt or Underwood.

Has everyone forgotten FITZ can't make an accurate throw over 15 yards so they stack the box. I like the guy as a person, but he's nothing more than a decent back up.

Andre Johnson is getting older and slower, and is now holding out to go somewhere else. There is no way they come out ok, but Clowney could be a good pick. I'm still surprised in a 3-4 why they pick him unless they really feel Mack was not up to the hype. He would have been perfect in a 3-4.

Haha, no, I agree. Still think they should have kept Steve Smith. Brandon LaFell was pretty average IMO so replacing him with Avant/Cotchery is fine. I literally never heard of McNutt or Underwood.

As a Big 10 fan I am surprised you have never heard of McNutt. He went to Iowa, and was highly regarded. He's in his second year with the Panthers. Underwood was with the Buccaneers last year.

I agree that Avant & Cotchery are fine, but the Panthers have a bunch of journeyman/possession receivers, and Kelvin Benjamin is going to take time to be an effective weapon.

I'm surprised that the Panthers did not go all out to sign DeSean Jackson. He's a jerk, but he would have helped Newton a lot.

As a Big 10 fan I am surprised you have never heard of McNutt. He went to Iowa, and was highly regarded. He's in his second year with the Panthers. Underwood was with the Buccaneers last year.

I agree that Avant & Cotchery are fine, but the Panthers have a bunch of journeyman/possession receivers, and Kelvin Benjamin is going to take time to be an effective weapon.

I'm surprised that the Panthers did not go all out to sign DeSean Jackson. He's a jerk, but he would have helped Newton a lot.

That's why. B-)

Houston has got to be the worst, I don't think theres many Bills fans that would trade QB rosters with them so theres no way the Bills are the worst...and I'm among the most serious of EJ doubters. Honestly, the only roster I would swap with would be Cleveland...Hoyer showed more than EJ did in a shorter time and J. Football has more upside than either of our guys.