Another movie I must add to that list although its new, is Saving Mr. Banks

Such an incredible movie

CBF

Edited by Canadian Bills Fan

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An interesting debate I have had with friends over the godfather-- which one is better: 1 or 2?

I actually like godfather 2 more.

Take that back or else...JRinPitt sleeps with the fishes. :) I agree. Godfather II is excellent, the flashbacks with Deniro in NYC, the plotline, the acting....but I always come back to Godfather I as my favorite...I have seen it probably 12-15 times and I pick up new plot connections each time and the interplay between the characters is amazing. Although Jaws, Usual Suspects, Saving Private Ryan, Gump, One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Karate Kid, and Glitter are all fantastic movies....I voted Godfather I because it has so many parts that work well together as a whole.

How am I the only one bringing up Last of the Mohicans?

I mean: Michael Mann directing Daniel Day Lewis in one of the most finely-scored motion pictures of all time?

Seriously.

The script was a little choppy. The movie would have been better 20-30 minutes longer, I always suspected.

The cinematography in that movie is some of the best ever, though. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is the only movie I can think of that's comparable in that regard.

I mean: Michael Mann directing Daniel Day Lewis in one of the most finely-scored motion pictures of all time?

Seriously.

Great film and Daniel Day Lewis is fantastic in it, but for me Madeline Stowe kills it. Didn't like her acting in it at all. Still, it's probably in my top 50 films.

Seriously.

I agree with DC's comments on the movie being a bit choppy. Still a fantastic film. I can listen to the theme on repeat. The ending still gives me chills. Why does the hot one always have to jump?

I agree with DC's comments on the movie being a bit choppy. Still a fantastic film. I can listen to the theme on repeat. The ending still gives me chills. Why does the hot one always have to jump?

You're still dreaming about Mel Gibson jumping off that building in Lethal Weapon??

The script was a little choppy. The movie would have been better 20-30 minutes longer, I always suspected.

The cinematography in that movie is some of the best ever, though. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is the only movie I can think of that's comparable in that regard.

That's one thing about Mann--he tends to leave you about 15 minutes before you're ready. Better than James Cameron's M-O of push it 30 minutes past when you want it to be over IMO.

Great film and Daniel Day Lewis is fantastic in it, but for me Madeline Stowe kills it. Didn't like her acting in it at all. Still, it's probably in my top 50 films.

Never been a big Stowe fan; this was the exception IMO because she can play a proper snooty girl that comes unglued under adversity.

Yes to all of that...the scene where Alice calmly and silently backs off the cliff instead of going with Magua is an all-time great IMO.

There are too many to list and a lot of my favorites have already been covered. I'm trying to think this one through by genre and for now I'll stick with comedy. One I can watch any day that I'm pretty sure hasn't been mentioned yet is Spaceballs. We used to recite lines from that movie constantly on the school bus, so it always brings back a ton of memories.

Seriously.

I am a big fan. To one of your points, the score is fanatastic. I have had that soundtrack on CD for years.

Take that back or else...JRinPitt sleeps with the fishes. :) I agree. Godfather II is excellent, the flashbacks with Deniro in NYC, the plotline, the acting....but I always come back to Godfather I as my favorite...I have seen it probably 12-15 times and I pick up new plot connections each time and the interplay between the characters is amazing. Although Jaws, Usual Suspects, Saving Private Ryan, Gump, One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Karate Kid, and Glitter are all fantastic movies....I voted Godfather I because it has so many parts that work well together as a whole.

This is why the Godfather vs. Godfather II debate is so great. All of your points are well-taken. The young Vito/DeNiro, however, is what puts No. 2 over the top for me.

can't do it. there is just no possible way for me to pick one movie as my favorite. i don't even think i could pick one favorite per genre.

Glad I'm not the only one.

has anyone mentioned Rocky Horror Picture Show yet?

Not until now, and honestly is that movie really that much better without the fan participation?

It's an average movie, hardly one of the best ever. JMO.

Glad I'm not the only one.

Not until now, and honestly is that movie really that much better without the fan participation?

It's an average movie, hardly one of the best ever. JMO.

I hear you. the children (late teens) of the 80's loved it much more than the children of the 70's