Favorite all time movie?

Some solid ones on your list.

I remember watching Big Night in the theater. People were audibly groaning in mouth-watering hunger over those food scenes.

Not sure the best way to say this, but in terms of 'best final scenes that featured no dialogue,' it's up there with the final scene from Parenthood.

Oh, and add Parenthood to all time favorite movies. Not a bad scene in the entire flick.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In that case you are cutting off a great portion of the movie industry.

The superhero stuff has some very good offerings. "Captain America: The Winter Soldier", while not a summer film, was outstanding.

Summer has also given us some great animated movies recently as well: "Wall-E", "Up", "Toy Story 3", & "Despicable Me". You can also go back a little further with "The Lion King", "Aladdin", & "Tarzan".

I agree that movies about "real people" are good and important, but the same can be said for the fantastical movies. They are a big part of entertainment. Some people need to escape reality and see these types of movies.

Imagination has always been a key element in movie making.

I understand if it's not your thing. I don't see every movie that comes out, because there are some things I choose to avoid. Nevertheless, I do enjoy all types of films. From the mega blockbusters, to the tiny independents.

It actually helps me to be picky. I feel like I really don't even get to see all the movies that I want..........So, for me to eliminate all this futuristic, apocalyptic, animated, superhero stuff, that let's me barely get to all the ones I do want to watch.

For animated, I really liked Shrek, and then you guys talked so much about Toy Story 3 that I watched Toy Story to get in the know about 3. I barely got through it, and haven't had it in me to watch 2 yet, much less 3.

People here were raving about the Lord of the Rings stuff. Tried the first one. Holy cow - that was about the most painful three hours I ever spent!!

Lots of great movies listed here in this thread that are high on my lists too.

American History X

Godfather 1&2 (it's 2 by a nose for me)

Shawshank

Se7en

LA Confidential

American Beauty

Goodfellas

and more I'm sure I'm forgetting after 7 pages....

It is impossible for me to pick 1 overall or even 1 per genre but just to add to the mix on here for unmentioned greats I would throw The Prestige and Gattaca into the ring.

Even with the Batman movies being as good as they are I still think Prestige is Nolan's best work to date and Gattaca is a fantastic sci-fi film with good social commentary that doesn't get talked about much.

Speaking of sci-fi I also have to throw Forbidden Planet out there as an amazing classic movie that was WAY ahead of its time.

Thanks for bringing up "The Prestige", an overlooked Christopher Nolan movie. Hugh Jackman & Christian Bale are fantastic in that one.

I love "Forbidden Planet". Robby the Robot, the Krell, the ID monster, Walter Pidgeon, and a time when we were supposed to take Leslie Nielsen seriously. "I'll have less dreaming aboard this ship!"

Amazingly, in this time of re-makes, "Forbidden Planet" remains untouched.

Forgot to mention The Sixth Sense. :thumbsup:

Was just going to post, "where's the love for m. Night?"

His trio of sixth sense, unbreakable, and signs was awesome.

Not sure the best way to say this, but in terms of 'best final scenes that featured no dialogue,' it's up there with the final scene from Parenthood.

Oh, and add Parenthood to all time favorite movies. Not a bad scene in the entire flick.

I have a feeling you like steve Martin.

How about planes, trains, and automobiles?

Not sure there is a more solid holiday comedy. I am getting teary eyed just thinking about the final scene.

Was just going to post, "where's the love for m. Night?"

His trio of sixth sense, unbreakable, and signs was awesome.

I have a feeling you like steve Martin.

How about planes, trains, and automobiles?

Not sure there is a more solid holiday comedy. I am getting teary eyed just thinking about the final scene.

Candy literally was dragging his baggage around the whole movie...

How about that montage when everything clicks for steve Martin re candy, and then back at the bus terminal? Some classic moments there.

Yeah, I guess I am a big Steve Martin fan, and Planes, Trains and Automobiles is another favorite. The scene where John Candy is trying to take off his coat while driving and gets both arms stuck is comedy gold.

That is a great scene at the end of "Big Night".

What a jerk Ian Holm is in that movie. And I am being kind in that description.

Edited by Mark Vader

Peter Jackson, on the other hand... :death: The man stretches two minute action scenes to 15 minutes. He couldn't decide on the ending to The Return of the King...so he just showed all seven. "What, this movie isn't over? How many endings does this friggin' movie have???"

What more proof do you need then his desire to make The Hobbit into 3 movies. There are numerous scenes in the first 2 that just carry on and on and on and on.... Considering the book is great, IMO, for it's quick read ability I hate that it was made into 3 movies.

Good call on Jackson...too long; every time.

Alright, I feel like I have to stick up for Peter Jackson. I think The Lord of the Rings trilogy is splendid. Yes, the third movie has a long drawn out ending, but overall that series is fantastic. I've read the books and they are great adaptations.

I do agree that "The Hobbit" being three movies is ridiculous. I know that they are trying to tie in this story along with the Rings trilogy, but it isn't necessary. Still I have enjoyed both Hobbit movies so far, and I look forward to the last one in December.

And let's face it, all the scenes with Smaug were awesome. In the book, the payoff with Smaug is a downer. So by adding a far more lengthy interactive scene with Smaug was a great move.

I also really liked "The Adventures of Tintin" which was Jackson & Spielberg, and I also really enjoyed Jackson's "King Kong" remake.

That is a great scene at the end of "Big Night".

What a jerk Ian Holm is in that movie. And I am being kind in that description.

Yeah, he was a complete douche. Alternately, though, I thought Tony Shalhoub was brilliant. At the time he was mostly the goofy dude on "Wings," and he completely impressed the hell out of me.

Two other terrific things I've gotten from that movie: the soundtrack, and the recipe for the timpano, which came out in Stanley Tucci's cookbook Cucina & Famiglia. I bought it for the timpano recipe (which I've probably made a dozen times), but from cover to cover, it's one of our most used cookbooks.

What's really depressing is how few movies from the past 10 years and change are on people's list.

I can't think of many movies I'd even call very good from the last 10 years. The King's Speech was probably the best I recall, but I wouldn't put it in my top 10.

Closest I can come is the '90s for that. Dances With Wolves, LA Confidential and Shawshank are all in my top 5, along with The Godfather and probably Silence of the Lambs.

Alien, The Terminator, American Beauty, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Goodfellas and The Sting are in the next group for me.

I can't pick an all-time favorite movie. Too many great ones.

But I can say that my favorite move from this year so far is Grand Budapest Hotel.

One movie that I thought was great from last year was "Prisoners". Very disturbing film, but a great performance by Hugh Jackman.

Alright, I feel like I have to stick up for Peter Jackson. I think The Lord of the Rings trilogy is splendid. Yes, the third movie has a long drawn out ending, but overall that series is fantastic. I've read the books and they are great adaptations.

I do agree that "The Hobbit" being three movies is ridiculous. I know that they are trying to tie in this story along with the Rings trilogy, but it isn't necessary. Still I have enjoyed both Hobbit movies so far, and I look forward to the last one in December.

And let's face it, all the scenes with Smaug were awesome. In the book, the payoff with Smaug is a downer. So by adding a far more lengthy interactive scene with Smaug was a great move.

I also really liked "The Adventures of Tintin" which was Jackson & Spielberg, and I also really enjoyed Jackson's "King Kong" remake.

Funny...I consider Jackson's "King Kong" a better example of his "stretch....everything.....out" style of directing than even Return of the King (still haven't seen any of the Hobbit movies). There was absolutely no reason to watch Adrien Brody run from a dinosaur avalanche for an interminable ten minutes (point of note: a REAL dinosaur avalanche wouldn't have taken as long as that scene) or a fifteen minute mutant bug attack.

Jackson's got some definite good qualities as a director. Economy of direction and editing ain't any of them. He can give Michael Cimino a run for his money.

What's really depressing is how few movies from the past 10 years and change are on people's list.

True...but I'm expecting really great things from "Snakes on a Plane 2: Snakes on a Bus."