Favorite all time movie?

Barton Fink is my favorite film that no one else I have ever met has seen

I almost included that one on my list. I put a few Cohn Bros. films on there--Barton Fink was the next in line. John Mahoney is genius as the soused old writer.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best tidbit about Barton Fink and the Coen Bros; they wrote Fink while they were stuck trying to crack the plot of Miller's Crossing. They were half way into Miller's Crossing and hit a creative wall. So, to free their minds up they started working on Barton Fink on a lark.

Imagine that. Turning writer's block into a masterpiece like Barton Fink -- and still making Miller's Crossing which is equally as fantastic.

I wrote a 25 page paper on that flick in grad school. Love it.

"Do you act?"

"Huh? No, I'm--."

"We need Indians for the Normal Steel western."

"I'm a writer."

"Think about it, Fink. Writers come and go; we always need Indians."

What is in the box?

I almost included that one on my list. I put a few Cohn Bros. films on there--Barton Fink was the next in line. John Mahoney is genius as the soused old writer.

Best tidbit about Barton Fink and the Coen Bros; they wrote Fink while they were stuck trying to crack the plot of Miller's Crossing. They were half way into Miller's Crossing and hit a creative wall. So, to free their minds up they started working on Barton Fink on a lark.

Imagine that. Turning writer's block into a masterpiece like Barton Fink -- and still making Miller's Crossing which is equally as fantastic.

Try as I may, I am just not a fan of the Coen Bros. The one movie I really have enjoyed from them is "True Grit".

Aside from that, meh.

William H. Macy & Steve Buscemi are great in "Fargo", but I think Frances McDormand is overrated in that film. I just don't get the love for that flick.

I did enjoy "The Big Lebowski", but it's not a movie I would watch over and over again. Although John Goodman does steal the show.

Try as I may, I am just not a fan of the Coen Bros. The one movie I really have enjoyed from them is "True Grit".

Aside from that, meh.

William H. Macy & Steve Buscemi are great in "Fargo", but I think Frances McDormand is overrated in that film. I just don't get the love for that flick.

I did enjoy "The Big Lebowski", but it's not a movie I would watch over and over again. Although John Goodman does steal the show.

Though I am a big fan of "Raising Arizona", I too am not a big fan of the Coen Brothers.

For me they write magnificently quirky and interesting characters, and have some fantastic scenes within their movies......but more often than not do not deliver on an overall story. Many of their movies seem to be a very entertaining progression of events with no satisfying conclusion.....or any conclusion at all in some cases.

Re: True Grit. Perhaps the concept that they made that based upon a pre existing plot(a complete story) is the reason why you like that one in particular.

Ok. 2 new ones that I forgot about.

Johnny Dangerously- hands down hilarious and deserves more recognition.

The Departed- another movie that is amazingly done and deserves more recognition.

Though I am a big fan of "Raising Arizona", I too am not a big fan of the Coen Brothers.

For me they write magnificently quirky and interesting characters, and have some fantastic scenes within their movies......but more often than not do not deliver on an overall story. Many of their movies seem to be a very entertaining progression of events with no satisfying conclusion.....or any conclusion at all in some cases.

Re: True Grit. Perhaps the concept that they made that based upon a pre existing plot(a complete story) is the reason why you like that one in particular.

That is probably why. Also Hailee Steinfeld is splendid in that movie.

The Coens were at their best in the 90s, IMO. During that decade they cranked out Miller's Crossing, Barton Fink, The Hudsucker Proxy, Fargo, and The Big Lebowski. All I consider great movies both in terms of artistry and entertainment value, and they are my five favorite Coen movies. They've made others I consider good to great movies, like No Country for Old Men, Oh Brother Where art Thou, and Raising Arizona, but to me the 90s was far and away their prime.

Aside from that, meh.

I can understand that reaction if you went into Fargo having heard the hype. Part of what makes it great is the perspective from which they tell an otherwise unspectacular story.

Edited by Rob's House

Ok. 2 new ones that I forgot about.

Johnny Dangerously- hands down hilarious and deserves more recognition.

The Departed- another movie that is amazingly done and deserves more recognition.

I cannot vote for The Departed, as it's a sensationalized American remake of a Korean film called Infernal Affairs--and the original is a superior movie IMO.

Worth checking out.

I have seen The General and M, but it's been a very long time. I enjoyed them both, but I don't remember them very well. I might go back and revisit some of these very old classics.

Fantastic movies. M specifically was really well done. From the first scene when the mother is waiting for her daughter to come home from school, and she keeps waiting and waiting while you are introduced to the kidnappers re-occurring whistle. Great movie.

Another favorite of mine that has not been mentioned, "Ed Wood".

Martin Landau is great as Bela Lugosi. Too bad that this movie was not a box office hit, it's a great look into the lives of these people.

In my opinion, it is also the best acting performance by Johnny Depp.