Favorite all time movie?

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked it, but there were times where the scene progression didn't make any sense.

It seemed like people were too caught up in the minor details, like, "how did Batman get from that foreign country back into Gotham in 2 seconds?" For me, that didn't really take away from an otherwise great movie. I loved the 3rd one, and the tie into the 1st. In fact, I liked 1 and 3 probably better than 2, largely because of the league of shadows storyline.

I liked it, but there were times where the scene progression didn't make any sense.

It was already a long film but it could have benefited from additional footage. He goes from being an asskicker to a decrepit, cane using hermit and theres no sense of how much time has passed. Then he puts on a leg brace and suddenly theres cartilage left in his joints, because you don't see the brace again. Who knows how long he's confined to cave jail and how long it takes him to heal from a broken back. It was a bit rushed at times.

It seemed like people were too caught up in the minor details, like, "how did Batman get from that foreign country back into Gotham in 2 seconds?" For me, that didn't really take away from an otherwise great movie. I loved the 3rd one, and the tie into the 1st. In fact, I liked 1 and 3 probably better than 2, largely because of the league of shadows storyline.

That didn't bother me, i didn't like how the last 45' of the film were put together. The progression of the scenes were all over the place.

It was already a long film but it could have benefited from additional footage. He goes from being an asskicker to a decrepit, cane using hermit and theres no sense of how much time has passed. Then he puts on a leg brace and suddenly theres cartilage left in his joints, because you don't see the brace again. Who knows how long he's confined to cave jail and how long it takes him to heal from a broken back. It was a bit rushed at times.

Exactly. Problem with edition? The Robin story took too much time to develop? It's hard to capture so many characters and their stories with so limited time.

It's been a while since I've seen it so I don't recall all the eye-rollers, but the one that stands out most is the part where the cops are marching in rows into open gunfire, Batman drops in on his bat plane, and rather than opening fire, or flying headlong into the bad guys, he lands, hops out and goes looking for a !@#$ing fist fight. :lol:

I still thought the movie was fun to watch, but as far as the writing, logic, and inconsistencies go it was comically bad.

It's been a while since I've seen it so I don't recall all the eye-rollers, but the one that stands out most is the part where the cops are marching in rows into open gunfire, Batman drops in on his bat plane, and rather than opening fire, or flying headlong into the bad guys, he lands, hops out and goes looking for a !@#$ing fist fight. :lol:

I still thought the movie was fun to watch, but as far as the writing, logic, and inconsistencies go it was comically bad.

Common man-- comically bad?! I thought there were some gaps, but, at least for me, they were easily overcome by the rest of the movie.

I thought the story was just really great. That's what made the movie for me.

What's really depressing is how few movies from the past 10 years and change are on people's list.

Alright, here is what would be on my list. I make no apologies because I love a lot of movies.

The Passion of the Christ (Should have been nominated for Best Picture)

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Van Helsing (Guilty pleasure)

Shrek 2

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Spider-Man 2

Wicker Park

The Incredibles

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

Madagascar

Batman Begins

War of the Worlds

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe

King Kong

Match Point

Brick

Superman Returns

Monster House

Little Miss Sunshine

The Prestige

Pan's Labyrinth

Ratatouille

3:10 To Yuma

Gone, Baby, Gone

American Gangster

Beowulf

Enchanted

Stephen King's The Mist

Cloverfield

Iron Man

Wall-E

The Dark Knight

Changeling

Doubt

Gran Torino

Valkyrie

Star Trek

Moon

The Hurt Locker

500 Days of Summer

Up

District 9

Where the Wild Things Are

How To Train Your Dragon

Toy Story 3

Despicable Me

Let Me In

Monsters

The King's Speech

Black Swan

The Fighter

True Grit

X-Men: First Class

Super 8

Captain America: The First Avenger

Crazy, Stupid, Love

Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Martha Marcy May Marlene

The Artist

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

John Carter

The Cabin in the Woods

The Avengers

The Dark Knight Rises

The Master

Lincoln

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Les Miserables

Star Trek Into Darkness

Man of Steel

Pacific Rim

Prisoners

Captain Phillips

Frozen

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

American Hustle

There you have it. Flame away.

Do the X-Men movies count as Marvel? That would add James Marsden and Ryan Reynolds to the list.

edit: And then there's Laurence Fishburne as Perry White and the Silver Surfer if the crappy FF movies count as Marvel.

Not counting voices, but good work with two, there are two really well known...one lesser known, but very much household named based on everyone's favorite movie...yes Ben Affleck was one of them

Clues

she is married to black Panther in the comic..

he was a lawyer in one and a colonel in the other

The lesser known one, but still a name you will know, won a Razzie for worst supporting actor and had a small part in a movie that ruined any chance of a deadpool movie.

And yes xmen count.

Edited by frogger

Alright, here is what would be on my list. I make no apologies because I love a lot of movies.

Shrek 2

Spider-Man 2

Wicker Park

The Incredibles

Madagascar

Batman Begins

War of the Worlds

King Kong

Match Point

Brick

Superman Returns

Monster House

Little Miss Sunshine

The Prestige

Pan's Labyrinth

Ratatouille

Gone, Baby, Gone

American Gangster

Beowulf

Enchanted

Stephen King's The Mist

Cloverfield

Iron Man

Wall-E

The Dark Knight

Changeling

Doubt

Gran Torino

Valkyrie

Star Trek

Moon

The Hurt Locker

500 Days of Summer

Up

District 9

How To Train Your Dragon

Toy Story 3

Despicable Me

Let Me In

Monsters

The King's Speech

Black Swan

The Fighter

True Grit

Super 8

Crazy, Stupid, Love

Martha Marcy May Marlene

The Artist

John Carter

The Cabin in the Woods

The Avengers

The Dark Knight Rises

The Master

Lincoln

Les Miserables

Star Trek Into Darkness

Man of Steel

Pacific Rim

Prisoners

Captain Phillips

Frozen

American Hustle

Wow. Great call on Brick. JGL really hit that one out of the park.

All in all a pretty solid list.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

As should have Apocalypto. Mel Gibson might be a complete loon, but damn if the man can't make some damn fine films.

Andy Serkis should have been nominated for Best Lead Actor for that movie. He did an unbelievable job conveying emotions and communicating as a CGI chimpanzee strictly through motion and facial expressions.

I really like this thread because it only asks for peoples favourite movies.....not movies that are of good or great quality. It is interesting to see what people like(& dislike) without the need for justification.

Shrek 2

Spider-Man 2

Wicker Park

The Incredibles

Madagascar

Batman Begins

War of the Worlds

King Kong

Match Point

Brick

Superman Returns

Monster House

Little Miss Sunshine

The Prestige

Pan's Labyrinth

Ratatouille

Gone, Baby, Gone

American Gangster

Beowulf

Enchanted

Stephen King's The Mist

Cloverfield

Iron Man

Wall-E

The Dark Knight

Changeling

Doubt

Gran Torino

Valkyrie

Star Trek

Moon

The Hurt Locker

500 Days of Summer

Up

District 9

How To Train Your Dragon

Toy Story 3

Despicable Me

Let Me In

Monsters

The King's Speech

Black Swan

The Fighter

True Grit

Super 8

Crazy, Stupid, Love

Martha Marcy May Marlene

The Artist

John Carter

The Cabin in the Woods

The Avengers

The Dark Knight Rises

The Master

Lincoln

Les Miserables

Star Trek Into Darkness

Man of Steel

Pacific Rim

Prisoners

Captain Phillips

Frozen

American Hustle

Appreciate the list and all you do for movies on this board in general. I'm a huge movie fan myself, love them and go to pretty much all of them. I'm jaundiced though from seeing the strings I guess and alarmed about what the future holds for the art form. There are still wonderful films being made every year, some even from the studios (I'm a popcorn guy so I naturally lean that way), but the business model that used to at least pretend to balance artistic creativity with the financial bottom line is broken.

It could be remedied and I hope that eventually it will, but from the inside it doesn't seem like the powers that be care all that much about saving it. Rather they'd like to get as much out of what they know is a dying system. Kids and teenagers just aren't going to movies in the same numbers, despite the overwhelming trend of comic book adaptations and existing IP. It's not necessarily because the films themselves are bad, many are terrific, but going to the cinemas doesn't have the same draw that it did in the years before smartphones and streaming video to your personal screens. The writing is on the wall, the audience is changing with the technology.

The response has been to go bigger, promise things that you cannot get on your home screen. Stunning 3D, astronomical budgets for VFX wizards to ply their trade, and a doubling down on tent-poles has inflated the average ticket price for audiences and the technical price tags for exhibitors. The model now is to roll 200 million into 4 pictures a year, knowing statistically two will likely not be hits and cost you money, and praying for the other two to be big earners to cover your losses. And since American audiences are dwindling while foreign markets are booming, there isn't a financial incentive to take risks on original tent poles (the ones whose names populate many of lists in this thread). So instead of Alien or Raiders -- the sort of original properties that make execs gun-shy today due to the now manditory price tags -- we get Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy, something based on a per-existing property that is recognizable at home and abroad.

That's not to knock Nolan, he did wonders with that trilogy. In fact, he did it so well that everyone has been scrambling to catch up. Marvel executed their plan to perfection by coping the dark and brooding tone and serious nature which Nolan used to tap into Gotham. But it's been over a decade now of brooding super heroes and dark anti-hero riddled landscapes. There's obvious fatigue creatively out there as the same formula is being used and abused and despite Nolan and Marvel's success, the other studios haven't been as lucky. Still, that's all those other studios continue to lust for and that takes its toll. The audience has seen it all by now, ten times over. They've seen the bells and whistles of the new technology and digital formats -- what they aren't seeing and are asking for is something fresh.

Marvel has been fresh. They took bold risks with their creative property and the talent they bankrolled. Joss was no guarantee but they stood by him and what they've accomplished so far has been nothing short of stunning from a business perspective -- and some would say critical perspective. But with the news of Edgar Wright walking away from Ant-Man, and the pretty inflammatory things he had to say about the creative environment that drove him away, cast some shadows over what will happen during phase 2 and 3 of Marvel's, now Disney's, plan. Can they stay fresh or will they succumb to the inevitable fatigue that accompanies all over saturated genres?

Many grumblers fear that Wright's departure hints at Marvel's unease with Guardians of the Galaxy's chances of being a hit (Guardians is their most obscure and least star driven movie to date) and are steering the company towards a more Disney-fied / bottom line approach. No idea if there's any truth to that, but I've read it in more than one place.

I believe the audience is there. I still believe the studio system can make good films. But it does get more and more difficult to say that with any conviction as the years go by.

/just my musings.

Wow. Great call on Brick. JGL really hit that one out of the park.

All in all a pretty solid list.

Thank you, and I am glad that I am not the only one who has seen "Brick".

As should have Apocalypto. Mel Gibson might be a complete loon, but damn if the man can't make some damn fine films.

Andy Serkis should have been nominated for Best Lead Actor for that movie. He did an unbelievable job conveying emotions and communicating as a CGI chimpanzee strictly through motion and facial expressions.

No doubt Gibson has a vision as a director. I still have not seen "Apocalypto", it's on my list of movies to see. Getting back to "The Passion", I also think that James Caviezel should have gotten a Best Actor nomination, he was fantastic.

Agree with you on Andy Serkis. Phenomenal job as Caesar. Really looking forward to "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" this summer. He was also grossly overlooked for his performance as Gollum in "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers". And he also did a fine job as Kong in Peter Jackson's "King Kong". If Serkis hasn't gotten nominated by now, he never will.

Downfall was an amazing movie.

It's in German with English subtitles but it doesnt even make a difference.

Amazing movie

CBF

Hitler is not happy about that movie.

she is married to black Panther in the comic..

If figures that it would be a DC movie I never saw.

he was a lawyer in one and a colonel in the other

Yeah, that one came to mind randomly yesterday while I was driving home.

The lesser known one, but still a name you will know, won a Razzie for worst supporting actor and had a small part in a movie that ruined any chance of a deadpool movie.

And yes xmen count.

I figured it was someone from that movie. I'm not all that familiar with it, so I'm still not sure who you're talking about.