(Offseason)QB coach: EJ Manuel could be bound for Pro Bowl season

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well at least he's working hard at improving his game. Whaley certainly set the table for him so hopefully we continue to be at the top in the run, defense improves and if he can just be a game manager, we'll improve to possibly the playoffs.

In year 3 we could see even more improvement. I think often of Cam Newton as he threw for a ton of yards his first year, and they were 6-10. He did it on his athleticism. Then he regressed in year 2 and was frustrated. Then he finally put it together in year 3 and had a great year.

Our hope can only be he makes modest improvements this year, we win on the run and defense, and turns into an excellent QB by year 3.

It's plausible, but not pre-determined. Cross your fingers.

A lot of times it just doesn't matter how hard of a worker you are. You either have the talent or you don't. I love how hard of a worker EJ is. He is determined to be successful. Really rooting for him.

Genetics give you mental and physical potential. But without hard work you will not achieve your full potential. Hard work is the necessary ingredient that turns that potential into positive results. EJ's work ethic appears to be solid. I'm rooting for the guy.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

Optimist's reaction to that article: Great! EJ's a hard worker and is healthy; the sky is the limit.

Pessimist's reaction to that article: Fitz had a QB guru working on his mechanics too. See where that got us.

You get to choose which guy you are.

good one. I chuckled.

changing a QB's mechanics is always iffy.

lets hope this has a positive effect on EJ.

There's a difference between working on the mechanics of a guy who has been in the league for a while like Fitz, who was what, 28, when we hired Lee? I'd consider EJ to be refining his mechanics not necessarily changing them. I mean, look at Brady. He considerably increased his arm strength throughout his career and tightened his mechanics. It's a process. I don't think anyone believes mechanics are perfected in one offseason, but you have to work at it. Good for EJ.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/qb-coach-ej-manuel-could-be-bound-for-pro-bowl-season-051414

"The training sessions include all aspects involving the quarterback position, but Manuel’s was specifically designed to work on three areas of improvement: his throwing motion, understanding how the ball comes out of his hand and shortening his stride step."

of course this guy is touting the upside...would you expect him to say EJ has no hope of being an NFL QB? The end of the day, EJ is working his craft and I think he is the answer...but not because his paid tutor is saying he could be a pro bowler..he's advertising.

Optimist's reaction to that article: Great! EJ's a hard worker and is healthy; the sky is the limit.

Pessimist's reaction to that article: Fitz had a QB guru working on his mechanics too. See where that got us.

What does the realist say?

http://msn.foxsports...l-season-051414

"The training sessions include all aspects involving the quarterback position, but Manuel’s was specifically designed to work on three areas of improvement: his throwing motion, understanding how the ball comes out of his hand and shortening his stride step."

Things usually end well when QBs try to change everything about the way they throw the ball.

http://msn.foxsports...l-season-051414

That doesn't smell like an impending Pro Bowl season...

That EJ has only played 10 games in the NFL, is nowhere near a finished product and probably still won't be by the end of this season even if he plays all 16 games. So we really have no idea if he is the answer or not and won’t know for sure for awhile. His desire and work ethic appear to be what you want from your franchise QB and we all hope it pans out. The truly great ones are never satisfied and will always work to get better.

I'm cheering for Manuel. I hope he plays a full season.

Honestly, is there anyone here that doesn't want to see Manuel succeed?

I have my reservations about whether or not he will develop into a franchise guy. With that being said the guy is so easy to cheer for. He is exactly what you want the face of your franchise to look like. EJ is humble and hard working. I hope that he makes the leap!

Yep

"I'm not a pessimist, I'm a realist"...even though he's a pessimist :D

Realist is just what Egomaniacs call themselves, or people who think they know everything but don't..

It's funny...I've never met a "realist" that is a positive person.

I'm not about to say that having a QB coach will guarantee success. But EJ is still early in development, so there's always a chance that increased coaching will help. We'll find out over the course of the next two years (yes, I think he's going to get this season and next, unless something catastrophic happens).