(Offseason)QB coach: EJ Manuel could be bound for Pro Bowl season

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember when Bill Walsh told us Trent Edwards was good...this is next to useless information

i haven't been this excited since david lee fixed fitz.

These ^^^

I think it is very difficult to overhaul your mechanics. It's not impossible, but I imagine it would take a huge amount of effort and repetition. Are two one week sessions enough? I would think he needs to practices these things for hours everyday. Is he? I don't know.

Tom Brady did it after the Giants Super Bowl win over the Pats, but he's Tom Brady. He shortened his throwing motion so it is very compact and fast. I could see him spending 10 hours a day in front of a mirror to change his throwing motion. He's that dedicated.

I hope EJ is that dedicated.

These ^^^

I think it is very difficult to overhaul your mechanics. It's not impossible, but I imagine it would take a huge amount of effort and repetition. Are two one week sessions enough? I would think he needs to practices these things for hours everyday. Is he? I don't know.

Tom Brady did it after the Giants Super Bowl win over the Pats, but he's Tom Brady. He shortened his throwing motion so it is very compact and fast. I could see him spending 10 hours a day in front of a mirror to change his throwing motion. He's that dedicated.

Did he? You don't know.

There are two diametrically opposed kinds of bad mechanics in QBs and the NFL.

1) Guys with basically good or very good mechanics for the most part, or when they don't panic, who just tend to lose them in the heat of battle too often.

2) Guys with crappy mechanics who can still throw a decent ball when things go right for them.

EJ is the first type. Fitz is the second type. It's much harder and often almost impossible to teach type two guys to retain better mechanics because they either developed bad habits they cannot break, or in Fitz's case and a lot of other guys, they don't have the physical tools to get off consistently good NFL worthy passes with what would be good mechanics. Fitz has to wind up and throw it as hard as he can like a baseball pitcher.

EJ has good mechanics for the most part and they can definitely be fine tuned. What he needs to be shown, is to not lose those good mechanics so often, or while turning and looking for new receivers or while the heat starts to come, etc. That is what his QB guru is trying to fix. He can plant and throw, he just doesn't always plant and throw. Some guys that is tough to coach out of, too.

There are two diametrically opposed kinds of bad mechanics in QBs and the NFL.

1) Guys with basically good or very good mechanics for the most part, or when they don't panic, who just tend to lose them in the heat of battle too often.

2) Guys with crappy mechanics who can still throw a decent ball when things go right for them.

EJ is the first type. Fitz is the second type. It's much harder and often almost impossible to teach type two guys to retain better mechanics because they either developed bad habits they cannot break, or in Fitz's case and a lot of other guys, they don't have the physical tools to get off consistently good NFL worthy passes with what would be good mechanics. Fitz has to wind up and throw it as hard as he can like a baseball pitcher.

EJ has good mechanics for the most part and they can definitely be fine tuned. What he needs to be shown, is to not lose those good mechanics so often, or while turning and looking for new receivers or while the heat starts to come, etc. That is what his QB guru is trying to fix. He can plant and throw, he just doesn't always plant and throw. Some guys that is tough to coach out of, too.

Phillip Rivers. Weird mechanics. Great QB.

These ^^^

Every QB that makes it in the NFL works on their mechanics...the ones that are great work on them tirelessly. The shining example of refining mechanics is Drew Brees. Watching him in his early Chargers' days, you can't help but notice the erratic footwork and inefficient throwing motion. He spent the time rehabbing those habits over years (not weeks) and became perhaps the most efficient passer in football history.

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't, if you ask me.

If he hadn't been working with a QB coach fans would have thought he wasn't committed to getting better. And since he is working with one, mechanics can't be fixed, so whats the point.

That's not true at all W3. It's a good thing, he's working out with his personal trainer and he's found time to work out with the receivers.

Whether that translates to something on the field we don't know, but, he should not be criticized for hard work.

Realist is just what Egomaniacs call themselves, or people who think they know everything but don't..

So, someone who thinks of themself as realistic is an egomaniac? That may be the silliest thing I've read since last week.

It's funny...I've never met a "realist" that is a positive person.

Then you positively haven't met me! :D

These ^^^

1 hour of throwing motion mechanics, 9 hours of staring at himself.

I think if EJ can get to Flacco level, I will be very pleased. I feel they have the same mentality and arm strength, it's a matter of having the necessary tools, working out the rookie kinks, and taking care of his body.

That's not true at all W3. It's a good thing, he's working out with his personal trainer and he's found time to work out with the receivers.

Whether that translates to something on the field we don't know, but, he should not be criticized for hard work.

If you look at some of the responses I'd say it's certainly true. It's not like EJ asked for this to be reported so that he could prove to fans he's getting better. But when it is reported, some people shoot it down and say you can't fix mechanics, so whats the point? Or start comparing him to other QB's who ended up sucking, that did work with QB coaches.

In some people's mind's, it doesn't matter what EJ does. He's damned if he does or doesn't.

If you look at some of the responses I'd say it's certainly true. It's not like EJ asked for this to be reported so that he could prove to fans he's getting better. But when it is reported, some people shoot it down and say you can't fix mechanics, so whats the point? Or start comparing him to other QB's who ended up sucking, that did work with QB coaches.

In some people's mind's, it doesn't matter what EJ does. He's damned if he does or doesn't.

I agree, some say it is a "fluff piece" but it wasn't done by BB.com. It was Fox Sports.

Remember when Bill Walsh told us Trent Edwards was good...this is next to useless information

LMAO

Yeah, he said that Edwards was going to be a great one. I guess to his credit he never specified a great what. Maybe he did go on to become a great one at tiddlywinks or something.

We're so starved for quality football in Buffalo that mere opinions like this and statements of the "talk is cheap" variety translate into 12-4 seasons for some people. It's the same crowd that needs meds come November.

Talk about being bipolar.

Realist is just what Egomaniacs call themselves, or people who think they know everything but don't..

That makes no sense. I'd say a realist is someone who isn’t swayed by opinion – either their own or another’s - and is willing to admit when they don’t have all the answers. IMO, the egomaniacs are the people that state their opinion as fact. Like those who say they know that EJ will be a bust after only 10 games or anyone that reads this article and says I know he’s going to the Pro Bowl. None of us know for sure but I think that we all just hope.

My problems with the QB are is accuracy and his penchant for injuries.

The injuries might be avoidable if he gets smarter. Accuracy is a different story. He needs receivers that can steal passes from defenders. Watkins appears to be that. We'll see.

EJ is a big, athletic, smart guy who has huge upside if he can put it all together. I'm glad to see he's working and the Bills are determined to give him a shot. Not fair to compare his upside to guys like Trent or Fitz.

It seemed like he really struggled with accuracy outside the hashmarks last season. It looked like his footwork wasn't good enough to set up and throw accurately to the sideline, especially on 10yd comebacks. He's got to be able to hit these.

Ball security is nothing new for him. This was one of the biggest knocks on him coming out of High School and College.

If the Bills can run the ball against 7 man fronts, EJ can be successful and there is no doubt he'll show improvement in yr 2. He's got to use his legs but be smart about it and stay healthy...

good one. I chuckled.

changing a QB's mechanics is always iffy.

lets hope this has a positive effect on EJ.

Throwing mechanics are very difficult. Footwork can be fixed and that would have a greater impact on EJ if you ask me.

I am far more concerned with EJ's progressions than I am with his mechanics. Mechanics can be improved and many QBs have done so. Making the correct reads in nanoseconds is what the great QBs do and what I wonder if EJ can do.

Generally I felt good about his progressions. He had one or two terrible games but for the most part I thought his decision making was good.

His footwork can be improved and I'm happy to see he's trying.

I agree, some say it is a "fluff piece" but it wasn't done by BB.com. It was Fox Sports.

snark aside, we're all happy that ej is trying to get better and improve. hopefully the extra work pays off.

i think the issue here is that the source is some dude ej paid for a couple weeks of training. it's not like he's going to say, "honestly, i think ej's future is with the practice squad." well, at least not until the check clears.

Edited by Dirtbag