(Offseason)QB coach: EJ Manuel could be bound for Pro Bowl season

One point from the article I found interesting and hadn't thought of:

I wonder if some (not all) of EJ's inefficiency with his lower-body mechanics was related to the knee injury...thinking back on it, I didn't notice it at all in the first 2 pre-season games, and then we didn't get to see him under live fire until after his injury against Minnesota that ended his training camp.

I'll say this: if some of that was due to the knee, it bodes very well for his development moving forward IMO.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was liking what i was reading until I got to this

Also his stride step," said Calhoun, who has been working with Manuel since his junior season at Florida State.

I initially got the impression he just started working with Manuel this offseason but if he has been working with EJ since his junior year and his mechanics are still this bad then i dont know how much improvement to expect

Edited by Max997

So...why did we hire a QB coach then?

I am not aware of any NFL QBs who do not work with an offseason QB coach/guru. They are not allowed to work with team's QB coach in the offseason, only during OTAs, mini camp and TC. Their roles are also very different. The team QB coach usually spends the majority of time preparing the QBs for the games/opponents and helping them understand what they are seeing on the field. Some may work with individual mechanics, etc but that is something these guys work on in the offseason, a lot. Not sure why this would be looked at as a negative when everyone from Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck and Cam Newton swear by it.

Also his stride step," said Calhoun, who has been working with Manuel since his junior season at Florida State.

I initially got the impression he just started working with Manuel this offseason but if he has been working with EJ since his junior year and his mechanics are still this bad then i dont know how much improvement to expect

Probably in small doses. College QBs do not have a lot of time outside the program, even in the offseason. Braxton Miller went to Cali to work with George Whitfield for about a week before his Junior year. It's likely the same type of thing. Edited by YoloinOhio

I think a lot of QB coaches in college focus on maximizing the most of what they can, the quickest. They don't try and develop the total package, as that takes years to do generally, and college programs tend to only have players for 2-4 years.

I think a lot of QB coaches in college focus on maximizing the most of what they can, the quickest. They don't try and develop the total package, as that takes years to do generally, and college programs tend to only have players for 2-4 years.

this is basic mechanics we are talking about here which is just that, the basics so i cant buy the not enough time stuff

this is basic mechanics we are talking about here which is just that, the basics so i cant buy the not enough time stuff

College coaches usually truly do not care about developing their QBs for the NFL. They care about the QB running their offense, which many times does not mimic an NFL offense, and winning. They chew them up and spit them out. The only reason they care where they are drafted is so they can tout it for recruiting purposes. IMO.

College coaches usually truly do not care about developing their QBs for the NFL. They care about the QB running their offense, which many times does not mimic an NFL offense, and winning. They chew them up and spit them out. The only reason they care where they are drafted is so they can tout it for recruiting purposes. IMO.

Ain't that the truth.

There's a difference between working on the mechanics of a guy who has been in the league for a while like Fitz, who was what, 28, when we hired Lee? I'd consider EJ to be refining his mechanics not necessarily changing them. I mean, look at Brady. He considerably increased his arm strength throughout his career and tightened his mechanics. It's a process. I don't think anyone believes mechanics are perfected in one offseason, but you have to work at it. Good for EJ.

College QBs are rarely churned out as polished NFL products. That was what made Luck such a huge commodity. He was a unique prospect because of the perceived lack of learning curve. Anyone who thinks it is a bad sign that EJ wants to/needs to work on everything about his game in the offseason doesn't understand the reality of the transition for college to the NFL, IMO.

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't, if you ask me.

If he hadn't been working with a QB coach fans would have thought he wasn't committed to getting better. And since he is working with one, mechanics can't be fixed, so whats the point.

I love all the people that basically assume if you suck as a rookie, you suck for your career.

What a load of BS.

(For the record, I don't agree that he sucked last year, but whatever)

Edited by Dorkington

It's funny...I've never met a "realist" that is a positive person.

Could it be that reality really isn't positive?

Good news that he still works with a QB 'guru" in the off-season.

Bad news, it's the same guy he's had since junior year in college, yet he still has same mechanical issues.

Bad news part 2 - EJ's footwork was flagged as his biggest issue and he couldn't work on that because of the knee injury.

I would feel better if the coach had 4 players rushing at EJ during the drills.

You can practice all you want but its all different when you have 4-6 players coming at you full speed.

CBF

That's what mini camp and TC are for :)

Bad news, it's the same guy he's had since junior year in college, yet he still has same mechanical issues.

Bad news part 2 - EJ's footwork was flagged as his biggest issue and he couldn't work on that because of the knee injury.

He could and he did. He posted videos of the workouts, in fact. They just started out with the above the knee mechanics because of the knee.

The article says this guy has been coaching EJ since college. Time to get a new coach imo. Not sure why he thinks he will go from the season he had to the pro bowl if he's doing the same stuff he's been doing for years. Time to switch it up and get with an NFL qb guru

In my opinion? No, it cannot. Everyone gets to choose how he/she views the world. Sorry for diverting the subject...I'll get back on topic.

I agree with Yolo that, most of the time, the college coach is more interested in taking advantage of the player's natural ability and ensuring he can run the offense and win at the college level as opposed to preparing them for the NFL.

As for part 2, the article said that they couldn't work on footwork when they met in March...EJ has been training with Calhoun much of the off-season thus far, so my understanding is that they've worked on it in subsequent sessions...I remember that EJ posted instagram videos of him working on his footwork with Calhoun.

The article says this guy has been coaching EJ since college. Time to get a new coach imo. Not sure why he thinks he will go from the season he had to the pro bowl if he's doing the same stuff he's been doing for years. Time to switch it up and get with an NFL qb guru

He is an NFL QB guru. These guys work with both college and NFL QBs. He is also working with Russell Wilson, Nick Foles and Cam Newton. He also trains WRs, and Robert Woods is one of his clients.

NFL players don't sit around and play Madden in the offseason. They may not be permitted to work with the team coaches, but they are still working.

Edited by YoloinOhio

He has a new coach: Downing. He cannot work with him right now due to provisions in the CBA that limit contact between coaches and players in the off-season.