The Big Lead latest mock draft - Bills take OT Zack Martin at 9?!

It's two QBs, Manziel at 26, but I'm not buying it either.

If two QBs, three OTs, Clowney, and Watkins go in the first seven, then either Evans or Mack falls to the Bills.

hmmm... an interesting choice... but I think doubtful that Mack could fall that far...

This is what I think we do. Esp. given that there will be a quality OT available in the second round.

Agree completely. You don't take the 4th best anything with the #9 overall pick. Trade down or take BPA.

How about a trade down to 13-STL or 16 DAL and pick up extra picks in the top 50-75, and then draft this guy.

So Dallas is apparently trying to get Manziel so they might do it? I don't believe it but...

Chris Trapasso@ChrisTrapasso 2h

"Hello, Friends." Jim Nantz has heard for a month that the #Cowboys will figure out a way to get Johnny Manziel ---> http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=17&post_id=31501 …

Wow...I'm as into drafting an OT at 9 as anyone, but that is under the assumption that one of the top three will be there. I saw Martin as one of the next level of OT's that would be available in round 2. There are four or possibly five OT's in that second round group. I say if we cant get Matthews or Lewan we should probably go for Evans or even Ebron and wait until round 2.

While the current Buffalo Bills FO, and most of this board hates the idea of an OT at #9... the other NFL teams all want top quality OT's. So the OT's usually climb up the board every year. Martin probably won't make it past the Ginats at 12, and will go at the latest to the fins.

I like the kid, and think he will do well in the NFL, as he can play any position on the line which is a huge positive in being so versatile.

It makes sense seeing as how the top 3 tackles are already off the board when we pick

CBF

We are not going to reach for a 2nd tier tackle when you can get the same player in round 2 or 3. There is no way this is happening as they have repeatedly stated they don't have any pressing needs and are going to leave all options on the table...

This is so ludicrous it has to be just so this guys mock is different somehow

That draft is the nightmare scenario for Bills fans. No QBs in top8.

Oh boy and the problem is. I'm starting to agree that no QBs in the Top 8 is a reality.

It is indeed a nightmare scenario...The only thing is I think getting Ebron into that top 8 instead of at least one of the QB's is a bit of a long-shot...Just too many teams with QB needs and TE is not a priority need for anyone outside of Atlanta...And they pick 6th...I guess if the top 5 is Clowney, Mack, Matthews, Lewan, and Robinson, Atlanta could look towards Ebron...But that's the only way that it works...I think if the QB's slide out of the top 8 then it's more likely Ebron will end up being the pick by default...But we'll see...All it takes is for one or two of these teams, even the teams in the vicinity of the top 10 (like Tennessee), to get a little antsy for one of the QB's and this scenario goes away quick... B-)

An OT at 9 would be a waste, get a WR or some other dynamic offensive weapon, perhaps a TE? You can get a damn fine OT in the 2nd, jumping one at the 9th overall would be a waste IMHO...

It depends on the OT...Robinson would certainly not be a waste...But that's not going to happen...And if it's Martin I pretty much agree... B-)

We are not going to reach for a 2nd tier tackle when you can get the same player in round 2 or 3. There is no way this is happening as they have repeatedly stated they don't have any pressing needs and are going to leave all options on the table...

This is so ludicrous it has to be just so this guys mock is different somehow

I tend to agree...I don't see any way they would take Martin over Donald, Mosley, or Clinton-Dix...I know they would prefer not to Draft Defense in the 1st...But if that's the way the Draft falls, and Whaley is being honest, then you have to take the better player...And I think all 3 of those guys are better prospects than Martin overall... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

That draft is the nightmare scenario for Bills fans. No QBs in top8.

Oh boy and the problem is. I'm starting to agree that no QBs in the Top 8 is a reality.

Opposite.

If no QBs go in top 8, that means no one thought they were worth taking or moving up HIGH for. I think we'd be open for QB business at 9.

Its like the response to the posters who say "trade down" all the time, and are reminded that if there's no player there that WE think is worth the 9th pick, who else will? But in this scenario, the answer is "anybody looking for a QB."

Edited by maddenboy

I don't think Martin is that high on their wish list...these guys seem to favor the more massive OLmen. I mean, look at these guys:

LT Glenn - 6'6", 345 lbs

LG Williams - 6'6", 326 lbs

C Wood - 6'4", 310 lbs

RG Urbik - 6'5", 325 lbs

RT Pears - 6'8", 318 lbs OR Hairston - 6'6", 330 lbs

Spending the #9 overall pick on a 6'4", 305 lb OT that may have to move to guard doesn't strike me as this team's M-O...which is okay by me. I only want an OLmen if he's the best guy available...and that isn't Martin IMO.

+1 one to this

i've been noticing we tend to go after size on the OL

we also like to go with speed at CB

40 yard dash times:

Corey Graham: 4.38 s

Leodis McKelvin: 4.39 s

Stephon Gilmore: 4.42 s

Opposite.

If no QBs go in top 8, that means no one thought they were worth taking or moving up HIGH for. I think we'd be open for QB business at 9.

Its like the response to the posters who say "trade down" all the time, and are reminded that if there's no player there that WE think is worth the 9th pick, who else will? But in this scenario, the answer is "anybody looking for a QB."

This is also why saying they are open to trading up actually gets the teams below them who want to take a QB later, nervous. If the Bills say they are willing to trade the #9 pick UP to say Houston, Cleveland, Oakland, Jax or anyone who needs a QB then that slot is prime QB territory as it is just below the elite talent which most experts say the QBs are not a part of. If a team like Cleveland at 26, Dallas at 16, STL at 13 wants Manziel or whoever they rate #1 QB and are afraid another team will jump into the Bills spot and take them before they can, they may be willing to trade up to 9.

I'd rather the Bills drafted Zach Randolph than Zack Martin. Sure Randolph is busy with the NBA and all- but the dude's 6-9, 260 lbs! You could line him up at TE or DE and he'd be a monster. I'm kidding, of course. Martin rising up the charts shouldn't be a surprise- I saw a report yesterday that the Raiders are interested in Lewan at number 5. Tackle could be the position we see the early run on.

Z-BO > Lewan.

If the first 8 picks go the way they do in that mock draft, with all 3 top OTs and both WRs gone, it's not a bad pick. Martin is a versatile lineman.

Seriously?? Top 10 picks should be for studs not some dude cause he is versatile

Opposite.

Good Point. Although The Bills, lions and Giants aren't drafting a QB at 9,10,12, so even if Ten takes a QB the #2 QB will be there at #13 which is considerable cheaper than a Top 10 pick.

The Bills do get the benefit having the 5th year option for a QB in the Top 10. If you're going to draft a guy that you think will be a Franchise QB have him locked up for 5 years is a big deal.

Good Point. Although The Bills, lions and Giants aren't drafting a QB at 9,10,12, so even if Ten takes a QB the #2 QB will be there at #13 which is considerable cheaper than a Top 10 pick.

The Bills do get the benefit having the 5th year option for a QB in the Top 10. If you're going to draft a guy that you think will be a Franchise QB have him locked up for 5 years is a big deal.

Isn't this true for any player drafted in the 1st round? They just get more money in the 5th year if they are drafted in the top 10.

Isn't this true for any player drafted in the 1st round? They just get more money in the 5th year if they are drafted in the top 10.

Good point, so actually I was wrong, Ten at #11 could be a better place to draft a QB based on the cost of the 5th year option.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/22037047/nfl-draft-yearfive-option-makes-qbs-more-valuable

To be really honest I haven't heard too much yet other than they really like Watkins and Mathews. That really isn't surprising I guess.

Reading the tea leaves a little I find it interesting that they have brought in some cornerbacks that will be off the board by their 2nd round pick most likely. That seems to tell me that they probably think that is a little bigger need than most of us here seem to think. In addition, they have brought in some of the top RBs in the draft. They will be drafting one of them IMO.

I would be surprised if they picked at 9 if the draft falls as many project. I think that they are going to go up and get a stud or go back and get an extra pick. This regime does not seem keen on reaching.

Thanks for the insight! I think the CB's are interesting. I think the starting two are solid, but not much depth after that as shown last year. Although, I think (and could be wrong) that there are some good CB's available later in the draft. Although the FO may not see it that way.

I will put Martin over Ebron in the Whitner over Ngata and Maybin over Orakpo completely obvious and stated pre-draft dumb move category. We have to see how things go, but he isn't the best player available at #9, he isn't a position of need, and he isn't the offensive weapon that they want to get for EJ. However the first eight picks go, there will be somebody better, and I expect it is Ebron, but I'm definitely open to someone better sliding to us.

The Bills are in a position to take a BPA approach with their pick at #9 and I expect they've 'gamed' the draft process and developed multiple scenarios based on many posisble ways it might play out. Just who's available at the 9 spot is going to be dependent on how many QB's get taken in the first 8 picks. 2, or 3, a stretch to think 4 but anything seems possible this year. So we will get immediate starter and impact player regardless of the position but I don't see Martin as the selection in any scenario. Trading back is always a possibility but you need the board to fall in the right way for someone to want to jump up along with having your contingencies in place if that happens. Finally, the draft is next week! Moving it back 3 weeks does nothing except make it unnecessarily later in the year and takes 3 weeks away from teams in offseason prep with rookies.

Nonsense. You don't reach for a guy who projects to be a solid OT or OG while passing on an elite TE.
I will put Martin over Ebron in the Whitner over Ngata and Maybin over Orakpo completely obvious and stated pre-draft dumb move category. We have to see how things go, but he isn't the best player available at #9, he isn't a position of need, and he isn't the offensive weapon that they want to get for EJ. However the first eight picks go, there will be somebody better, and I expect it is Ebron, but I'm definitely open to someone better sliding to us.

You're vastly over estimating Ebron. It's crazy that you hold this type of opinion.

Ebron is not special in anyway shape or form. He is an average TE prospect.

I don't understand the hype.

He is not overly fast, tall or productive.

Edited by Why So Serious?