Mettenberger?

Smart move...if he drops to round 3 it wouldn't be a bad idea to scoop him up as a fallback option.

Exactly. Checking him out in case he falls (a la every QB last year except EJ) is a great idea. I've been an advocate of taking another guy this year since we only have one QB on the roster. Tuel should be in the Arena League, Thad is ok for a spot start, Dixon...uh no.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you're reading into this too much.

The Bills invested a #1 pick in a QB. He showed some potential (not much imo) for success and some potential for concern. Everyone in the world paying attention expects the Bills to take a QB 3rd round or later for depth.

The rumors of the Bills moving up were never linked to Manziel not once. The prevailing assumption in a dubious rumor was that the Bills would move up for Clowney.

Taking Mettenberger in the 3rd in no way means that EJ is not the man.

Now no one is really impressed by EJ at this point in time, but Bruce Smith looked like a huge bust after his rookie year. So I'm not ready to completely give up.

Maybe I am reading too deep into it. I know that the Bills came away impressed from JF's pro day and the next day there were rumors about the Bills talking to the Texans. Mettenberger is not likely to be there in the 3rd IMO so we are talking about a 2nd round guy. I do not think that it is likely (at all) but I am not totally ruling it out. I say there is about a 5-10% chance that the Bills take a QB prior to their 3rd round pick.

If they were linked to Tajh Boyd, Connor Shaw or someone like that I would not have thought twice.

Maybe I am reading too deep into it. I know that the Bills came away impressed from JF's pro day and the next day there were rumors about the Bills talking to the Texans. Mettenberger is not likely to be there in the 3rd IMO so we are talking about a 2nd round guy. I do not think that it is likely (at all) but I am not totally ruling it out. I say there is about a 5-10% chance that the Bills take a QB prior to their 3rd round pick.

If they were linked to Tajh Boyd, Connor Shaw or someone like that I would not have thought twice.

I'm with you 100% on this comment. 3rd round pick for a quarterback? No thanks. Give me someone later than the 5th round and preferably someone that's even a UFA. Boyd, Shaw, Gilbert and a host of others will be available late or after the draft is over.

One more thing on that is that the Bills are known to do their business quietly. How many rumors of Mike Williams surfaced before it was a done deal? Brandon Spikes interest didn't surface until Massare's paparazzi had him turning his head and coughing.

I am not sure that there is much more here than them checking but it's certainly interesting. Nothing would surprise me at this point. If the Bills are "all in" on anything I think it is ending the playoff drought. They are capable of pretty much anything IMO good, bad or otherwise.

As I mentioned in a previous thread, a trade down would give us an extra 2nd. Thus enabling us to use this extra pick for a QB. Without the trade down, I don't think they will go QB early.

Bills checking out Mettenberger as per James Walker. Thoughts?

He is probably gone in the 2nd which leads me to believe that maybe the Bills aren't as "all in" as they keep indicating. I think that they like EJ but I am not as convinced as some that not only might he not be the answer, but that the Bills may feel the same way.

They went to LSUs pro day. You would expect that, wouldn't you?

Kid has a hose

is that good?

Look at the Bills lists of visits. They are late first rounders.

The Bills are looking at capitalize on players that fall lower than their projections and or trading back.

I think there is a solid chance Mettenberger falls to the 3rd.

If so the Bills will be there.

I think there is 0.0000001% chance the Bills take a QB at 41 or before.

Now if they trade back and get a second 2nd. Maybe.

I've been on the Mettenberger bandwagon for some time now, though I thought the injury would scare people off and drop him to the 4th or later. The kid has a cannon and he's willing to let it go. If he falls to the 3rd I am all for us taking him. I honestly don't know if I'd want the team to take him in the second. I have not given up on EJ and I'm against a 1st round QB pick. If we were to trade back and acquire another 2nd round pick though, then I'd be much more open to us taking him in the second. We'd get a guy who without the injury could have been in consideration for top QB overall.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

Look at the Bills lists of visits. They are late first rounders.

The Bills are looking at capitalize on players that fall lower than their projections and or trading back.

I think there is a solid chance Mettenberger falls to the 3rd.

If so the Bills will be there.

I think there is 0.0000001% chance the Bills take a QB at 41 or before.

Now if they trade back and get a second 2nd. Maybe.

I'm sure the odds of the Bills picking a QB at 41 or earlier are better than one in ten million. :nana:

Why do you think ZM is a potential second rounder? I would be shocked if he went that high, especially in this loaded draft. Very limited record of success, ACL injury a few months ago, and he had a TON of weapons at his disposal at LSU. Yes he improved over his college career, but I think he is still a pretty raw prospect. Would much prefer Shaw, Boyd, or even Murray.

Why do you think ZM is a potential second rounder? I would be shocked if he went that high, especially in this loaded draft. Very limited record of success, ACL injury a few months ago, and he had a TON of weapons at his disposal at LSU. Yes he improved over his college career, but I think he is still a pretty raw prospect. Would much prefer Shaw, Boyd, or even Murray.

Late last year he was considered a late 1st, early 2nd round guy. He completed 65% of his passes with 22TDs & 8 INTs in the SEC. He has a huge arm and played in a pro style offense. He is up to 97% after his injury according to this: http://nfl.si.com/2014/04/09/zach-mettenberger-injury-update-2014-nfl-draft/ ....the way that it looks like the draft may shake out there will be a few guys late 1 (teams trading up) to early 2. I think that his talent will have him off the board in the group with McCarron & Garoppolo. Edited by Kirby Jackson