Mettenberger?

Bills checking out Mettenberger as per James Walker. Thoughts?

He is probably gone in the 2nd which leads me to believe that maybe the Bills aren't as "all in" as they keep indicating. I think that they like EJ but I am not as convinced as some that not only might he not be the answer, but that the Bills may feel the same way.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is probably gone in the 2nd which leads me to believe that maybe the Bills aren't as "all in" as they keep indicating. I think that they like EJ but I am not as convinced as some that not only might he not be the answer, but that the Bills may feel the same way.

Smart move...if he drops to round 3 it wouldn't be a bad idea to scoop him up as a fallback option.

Smart move...if he drops to round 3 it wouldn't be a bad idea to scoop him up as a fallback option.

The rumors about them trying to move up following Manziel's pro day and now this just have me wondering. I think that they will be very careful about what they say publicly in case they don't get a guy that they love this year. They don't want to have EJ looking over his shoulder. The Bills are certainly throwing their support behind him in the media but I wonder what's going on behind closed doors. Edited by Kirby Jackson

thats what i would take it as. i was surprised they are all in on their 3 guys.... if someone in that second group was available in the 3rd/4th round i would be frustrated if we didnt atleast strongly consider it. good depth, and long term potential are good at an unsettled qb spot. i dont see tuel as either, and thad is ok depth but not a whole lot of upside from here

I heard Mettenberger could play today if there was a game, 3 months post-surgery. Would like the pick, although I really like EJ.

I'm not sure I'd see it as an indictment of EJ as much as a recognition that having quality depth at the game's most important position is crucial.

The rumors about them trying to move up following Manziel's pro day and now this just have me wondering. I think that they will be very careful about what they say publicly in case they don't get a guy that they love this year. They don't want to have EJ looking over his shoulder. The Bills are certainly throwing their support behind him in the media but I wonder what's going on behind closed doors.

It's an interesting situation, that's for sure.

The rumors about them trying to move up following Manziel's pro day and now this just have me wondering. I think that they will be very careful about what they say publicly in case they don't get a guy that they love this year. They don't want to have EJ looking over his shoulder. The Bills are certainly throwing their support behind him in the media but I wonder what's going on behind closed doors.

They could be both supporting him, and ensuring they have quality depth....

One more thing on that is that the Bills are known to do their business quietly. How many rumors of Mike Williams surfaced before it was a done deal? Brandon Spikes interest didn't surface until Massare's paparazzi had him turning his head and coughing.

I am not sure that there is much more here than them checking but it's certainly interesting. Nothing would surprise me at this point. If the Bills are "all in" on anything I think it is ending the playoff drought. They are capable of pretty much anything IMO good, bad or otherwise.

One more thing on that is that the Bills are known to do their business quietly. How many rumors of Mike Williams surfaced before it was a done deal? Brandon Spikes interest didn't surface until Massare's paparazzi had him turning his head and coughing.

I am not sure that there is much more here than them checking but it's certainly interesting. Nothing would surprise me at this point. If the Bills are "all in" on anything I think it is ending the playoff drought. They are capable of pretty much anything IMO good, bad or otherwise.

I know first full year of the new regime, but Manuel was no surprise, good or bad spot to grab him, I don't think anybody following the Bills was shocked. Same with Spiller a few years prior. Woods was a gimme as well.

I know first full year of the new regime, but Manuel was no surprise, good or bad spot to grab him, I don't think anybody following the Bills was shocked. Same with Spiller a few years prior. Woods was a gimme as well.

I was referring to what may happen this year. Manuel wasn't a surprise but I would think that Mettenberger in the 2nd would classify as a surprise? It is not likely IMO but I think that the Bills are going to do whatever they can to end their playoff drought.

I might be in the minority but I was never wowed by ZM. He was whatever. not bad, but never looked special. He was just a guy. He's got size and the arm but he also benefit from playing under a good former NFL OC, which I think is a big advantage. If he was in the 4th or later, sure. But anything higher is a mistake IMO.

I never heard the rumor that the Bills were possibly trying to move up to draft Manziel. Where's the link to that crazy one?

Mettenberger is the first QB I've seen the Bills interested in and IMO he'd be considered only if he makes a Barkley or Nassib drop to the 3rd or 4th round.

I never heard the rumor that the Bills were possibly trying to move up to draft Manziel. Where's the link to that crazy one?

Mettenberger is the first QB I've seen the Bills interested in and IMO he'd be considered only if he makes a Barkley or Nassib drop to the 3rd or 4th round.

All rumors before the draft are true. Fact.

FWIW, the Bills came away from Johnny's pro day impressed. I didn't say that they were trying got move up to draft JF. I said that they were trying to move up following his pro day.

I think you're reading into this too much.

The Bills invested a #1 pick in a QB. He showed some potential (not much imo) for success and some potential for concern. Everyone in the world paying attention expects the Bills to take a QB 3rd round or later for depth.

The rumors of the Bills moving up were never linked to Manziel not once. The prevailing assumption in a dubious rumor was that the Bills would move up for Clowney.

Taking Mettenberger in the 3rd in no way means that EJ is not the man.

Now no one is really impressed by EJ at this point in time, but Bruce Smith looked like a huge bust after his rookie year. So I'm not ready to completely give up.

Edited by Why So Serious?

FWIW, the Bills came away from Johnny's pro day impressed. I didn't say that they were trying got move up to draft JF. I said that they were trying to move up following his pro day.

His ability to throw to wide open guys and elude brooms was impressive. :) I'm not doubting you but if anyone changes their opinion on based on a pro day, they shouldn't have a job. Pro days are a joke.