Bills acquire WR mike Williams

So, Marrone cuts Da'Rick Rogers because of his attitude, and now trades for Mike Williams who's a much bigger problem child than Rogers?! WTF is Marrone thinking?!

Listen, Mike Williams made two stupid decisions, but they were off the field, and he was known as a great teammate on the Bucs, and was liked by his coaches. He's not a thug, a bad attitude, or a distraction in the locker room. I'm glad we cut DaRick rogers. He had a bad attitude. That taunting bullcrap to his own teammates in camp was not going to be tolerated by Marrone.

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it would be a lot worse if he stabbed his brother.

To get a veteran receiver with a lot of talent for a 6th? Seems like a good pickup. Let's take Jarred Abbrederis in the 3rd.

First round Matthews, second round the TE from Notre Dame, 3rd round Abbrederis.

Or maybe that kid from Kent who ran a 4.2.

Love Abbrederis. Great hands and route runner.

Good talent and good value only giving up a 6th...but this guy is a headcase. Is bringing him back to Buffalo really a good idea? When you make it big people you grew up with feel like you owe them something. Now that he's back around all of these possibly bad influences I just can't see this going well. But the Bills don't really lose much if it doesn't work out so it might be worth the gamble. Hopefully he buys into Marrone's philosophy this time around

When the lawyers read the trust they interpreted The trust to mean that all players must be named Bill or Williams for the team to stay in Buffalo.

New stadium in Williamsville?

It IS closer to Toronto!! :rolleyes:

Edited by BobChalmers

I'm wondering if the Bills are done dealing? I think not. Clowney?

Doubtful we go receiver at 9. I think Bills will take a receiver later in the draft because it is so deep at the position.

Could be we are going to stock up in the trenches early n the draft.

They're not trading up for Clowney...At least I don't think that's a possibility...

This trade basically means nothing...They gave up a 6th round pick...If anything they are protecting themselves in case Evans is Drafted in the top 8...Mike Williams has some serious issues to overcome...He's no where near a lock to make this team...They cut Rogers...They won't hesitate to cut Williams if he's not real good on and off the field...

Edited by KOKBILLS

I like this deal if he can keep his head on straight at home!!

I was worried about Stevie getting cut but he was given a roster bonus in March and if we cut him this offseason he has a HUGE $10.25 M cap hit. The next two years he has 4 M in roster bonuses and dead cap hits are $5.6 M and 2.8 M respectively. Right or wrong, I think Stevie has a to have a good year or he might be on the chopping block.

Stevie Spotrac: http://www.spotrac.c...stevie-johnson/

On Mike Williams, he basically has a two year deal (deal cap of 5 M next year, kinda hard to cut but we could stomach it) with no affect on the cap if we cut him after the 2015 season going forward). That being said, he has pretty big base salaries in 2016 to 2018 with some big roster bonuses thrown in there. I could see the Bills definitely demand he restructure his contract in the next few years unless he has a 65-70 rec, 700-850 yds, 5+ TD year this year.

Mike Williams Spotrac: http://www.spotrac.c.../mike-williams/

Either way I'm excited about this move! It looks like we'll get to keep Stevie, add a guy (with some baggage) that may be a better value than what we'll get in the 6th round and improve our chances of seeing what EJ can do with a full receiving corps. I really wasn't too sold on either Watkins or Evans and was pretty sure this was where the Bills were going, even if we had to reach for a guy like Evans at number 9 (my opinion).

Now the Bills can do what we've all dreamed about doing for over a decade: sit back and take the BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE. Woo hoo!

Edited by TheLynchTrain

Okay, without doing much research let me ask here first. Is this guy the legit #1 WR that people are saying that we have been lacking?..........another comment is that if the locker room is dominated by good character people, then you can afford one guy with a potential for being a bad apple. He will not hurt the other people much and he may come around and behave under peer pressure. He does know that he has been traded as some combination of a salary dump and a used jock strap and suddenly can really see the end of his career if he f ups again. With Marone here, he probably knows that cutesy games are not going to have much traction.

No.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WillMi04.htm

He's had 2 good years (including his rookie year, which is pretty rare in WRs), 1 lost/injured year, and 1 healthy but bad year. Throw out the injury year, and he's caught either 63 or 65 passes every year. 964/996 yards in the good years, 771 in the bad. 11/9 TDs in the good years, 3 in the bad.

During the good years, he's a good player no doubt, but much more of a #2 than a #1. Comparing his good years to Stevie's, Williams has a small edge on TDs and yards/reception, while Stevie has a small edge in yards and a decent-sized edge in catches. Stevie also wins on consistency, with 3 good years out of 4 once he got his opportunity.

Listen, Mike Williams made two stupid decisions, but they were off the field, and he was known as a great teammate on the Bucs, and was liked by his coaches. He's not a thug, a bad attitude, or a distraction in the locker room. I'm glad we cut DaRick rogers. He had a bad attitude. That taunting bullcrap to his own teammates in camp was not going to be tolerated by Marrone.

I actually think that the Williams and Rogers situations are similar. That is kind of why I like it. A 1 year tryout for a guy that has question marks and a lot of talent and all that it cost you is a 6th round pick? That is all that I wanted for Rogers (at the expense of Hogan). I don't want to turn this into another Rogers thread we already have a really long one but the situations are similar.

Philosophically I am all for taking low risk gambles on talented players. If they traded a 3rd for MW I may feel differently. It's hard to find talent in the NFL. It is usually costly to do that and in the case the Bills got talent for a minimal investment.

I do share some of your concerns here, and agree that the worst scenario is something like 60-70 catches, 950-1100 yards, 6-8 TDs and another 6-10 record. Because at that point, he's just about worth his remaining contract, but unless EJ makes a major leap (and if we're 6-10 again, he hasn't), is it really beneficial to have 2 $7.5mil WRs who are pretty good but nothing special?

On the other hand, and this is pure speculation, Williams' contract is very cheap this year, and cutting him at any point beyond this year would be a cap savings. I hope the Bills are willing to part ways with him at any point, including after a decent but unspectacular year. Maybe the Bills are still hoping Evans falls to them (not super likely he gets past TB, but you never know), and they look at Williams as a potential transitional starter while Evans takes his rookie lumps. (Or whomever they draft in the 2nd or 3rd or whatever.)

Just in terms of straight value, Williams >>> 6th-rounder. In terms of the broader implications of this deal, I'm less enthusiastic, but there's still plenty of room for hopeful/positive interpretation.

aeb20b08a7f2f6ad646f519f19edd2547dff8d60405ae03b3d32b202e5852470.jpg

Because teams should always always always think about the near term, mid-term, and long term future. Thinking short term has been part of the Bills trouble for years. I thought Whaley would have learned that from the Steelers.

No, not having a QB is the Bills trouble.

Well, I said it before. IF the reasoning is keeping Williams and Stevie and going after a TE, I love the move. I'm just not certain that is the idea.

So, a TE in the first would make you happy, but a tackle would not. Interesting.

Chandler had 53 catches last year. How many must Ebron have to justify taking him at 9? at 15?

People see this huge need at TE and it simply does not exist. Would I like to see the position improved? Certainly, but unless Ebron can come in and grab 80 catches I don't see the 'value.'

On Mike Williams, he basically has a two year deal (deal cap of 5 M next year, kinda hard to cut but we could stomach it) with no affect on the cap if we cut him after the 2015 season going forward). That being said, he has pretty big base salaries in 2016 to 2018 with some big roster bonuses thrown in there. I could see the Bills definitely demand he restructure his contract in the next few years unless he has a 65-70 rec, 700-850 yds, 5+ TD year this year.

Mike Williams Spotrac: http://www.spotrac.c.../mike-williams/

note theres no hit next year unless you cut him AFTER the 3rd day of the league year. we can cut him in february with no penalty.

its literally no guaranteed dollars after this season until that season comes around - so we basically have a series of team options when the spring rolls around (next year salary becomes guaranteed, then future years with the roster bonus)

Edited by NoSaint

Ugh - the reviews on him have NOT been good.

I kind of think it's going to be an ORT anyway though.

You can't judge a guy on bad reviews... Russell Wilson had bad reviews! I'm sure Kiko had bad reviews!

He is at OBD right now.

Yep, just saw that.

Very conflicted by this. Mike Williams has been trouble since high school. But he is a legit NFL wr. http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/24076/ It's a very cheap price. My hope is he grows up in his hometown, moves to the burbs, and cuts his friends off. He needs to be told if he does anything dumb, his NFL career is done. I'm not holding my breath but it's a very reasonable gamble. At the same time, I think this means no Mike Evans. I've wanted him since his freshman year. But he may not even be there at #9. Hopefully, we are looking to trade down, pick up extra picks, & fill more needs in a deep draft.

Obvious Bush League move to placate the Da'Rick Rogers fans who were bummed we cut him.

No, not having a QB is the Bills trouble.

So, a TE in the first would make you happy, but a tackle would not. Interesting.

Chandler had 53 catches last year. How many must Ebron have to justify taking him at 9? at 15?

People see this huge need at TE and it simply does not exist. Would I like to see the position improved? Certainly, but unless Ebron can come in and grab 80 catches I don't see the 'value.'

And this move, along with the upcoming Draft coupled with what has been done the last two FA periods and Drafts, tell me essentially the same thing...that EJ must prove he IS the Franchise QB the BILLS have been seeking for sooooooo long....to me, it won't matter the reason "why" he can't be on the field next year, i.e. injury, or if he simply doesn't produce because of some other reason, but IF EJ does not demonstrate he has the skills to be THE QB for the BILLS, then next year in the 2015 Draft, the BILLS need to / should move heaven, earth and hell to get whomever they deem worthy of the Frace of the Franchise QB to be....the BILLS will absolutely be just that key piece from making strong points for being a real contender in the NFL...for the first time, in a long time....but QB MUST get solved in EJ's proof this year or in the Franchise QB Drafted next year, IMHO....after this year's Draft there will be no more hiding places, no more excuses, and no more reasons other than the QB for why this team couldn't / wouldn't succeed....The Dougs are convinced EJ is the guy, and dear God I hope they're right, but IF not, then move on....IMMEDIATELY!!

Another thing I like about this...

Gives us more draft flexibility. He's no guarantee, obviously, but neither is a draft pick. As long as he's healthy, though, its reasonable to expect production from him.

I really don't see this team having any glaring holes outside of offensive line, at the moment. It'd be nice to have better players in a couple spots, but we aren't drafting this year out of dire need. This is great. :thumbsup: