Houston looking to trade 1st pick (Buffalo?)

Todd McShay was saying how he has heard that the Raiders really like Taylor Lewan. Could the Bills get from 9 to 5 for only a 3rd? Last year Miami went from 12 to 3 for a 2nd. I realize that this is a better draft. If the Bills could get from 9 to 5 they would have a shot at Watkins, Robinson, Mack or Evans. This seems like a realistic option IMO. It would allow the Bills to secure an elite player at a position of need without having to sacrifice their 2nd where they can land another starter. Something to chew on...

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Todd McShay was saying how he has heard that the Raiders really like Taylor Lewan. Could the Bills get from 9 to 5 for only a 3rd? Last year Miami went from 12 to 3 for a 2nd. I realize that this is a better draft. If the Bills could get from 9 to 5 they would have a shot at Watkins, Robinson, Mack or Evans. This seems like a realistic option IMO. It would allow the Bills to secure an elite player at a position of need without having to sacrifice their 2nd where they can land another starter. Something to chew on...

Who would you think the target would be then?

There is some twitter buzz this afternoon. Apparently schefter was on the mike lupica show and said the bills would "love to" move up to 1 for clowney. I did not hear this myself.

@Merk256: Adam Schefter on the Mike Lupica show #ESPNRadio: The #Buffalo #Bills would Love to go to #1 for J.Clowney

@SalSports: After hearing Whaley talk Friday + reports from Pompei & now Schefter re: Bills wanting to go to #1, I believe (don't know) it to be true…..

There is some twitter buzz this afternoon. Apparently schefter was on the mike lupica show and said the bills would "love to" move up to 1 for clowney. I did not hear this myself.

@Merk256: Adam Schefter on the Mike Lupica show #ESPNRadio: The #Buffalo #Bills would Love to go to #1 for J.Clowney

@SalSports: After hearing Whaley talk Friday + reports from Pompei & now Schefter re: Bills wanting to go to #1, I believe (don't know) it to be true…..

I'm sure the Bills would love to. Whether they can pull that off is another matter.

I do get the feeling that I am going to be saying "Wow" at least once about the Bills strategy on draft weekend. Not necessarily in a good or bad way but I think they are going to do something a little unexpected. If they stay at #9 and select Taylor Lewan I'd be surprised.

I really hope this rumor is false. For those who think it would be a good idea for the Bills to move up to take Clowney (or anyone else), please remind of one time that a team has bundled a bunch of picks to move into the top five and it has worked out well.

Love clowney but my worst fear is you give up next years #1 and Manuel flops.

This is why I'm not buying this. Could see Bills trading up for Clowney if it didn't include next year's 1st rounder but don't see how they'd get up to #1 otherwise. More likely that Whaley trying to lure someone like Atlanta to trade up to #1 with Houston taking a QB at #6, pushing one of the top non-QB's closer to #9.

With two free agents signed this year that have buffalo connection, maybe the Bills don't want clowney but want that UB player.

That would be awesome. Give up a ton of picks to move up to select a LINEBACKER from small conference school.

If Clowney is the next Bruce Smith, this would be a great move, I'd give #1, #2 and next years #1. If he isn't we are in trouble. Is he or isn't he?

Too much. If we trade picks and give them this year and next year's second round, then I'd say yes. Clowney is going to be a freak, and with Mario on the other side, OMG. I'd love that trade. If we hit on our third, and 4th round, it would be an awesome draft. My sense is Whaley is already planning for a quick strike in undrafted free agents as well, and pick up some depth.

God I wish if Finley were healthy, we'd take a shot at him. I know it was a bad neck injury, but what if he really came back to form. It could be a sweeping change in this team.

I really hope this rumor is false. For those who think it would be a good idea for the Bills to move up to take Clowney (or anyone else), please remind of one time that a team has bundled a bunch of picks to move into the top five and it has worked out well.

I think the Falcons hunting down Julio Jones worked out well. They had a down year, last year, but I expect them to bounce back.

I also think that the jury is still out on Washington with RG III. Looked like a great move year one. Last year struggled with injuries, etc. But he still may turn out to be a franchise guy.

I agree that it is a big roll of the dice and probably works out less often than not. But I wouldn't say it is a guaranteed loser move. Also, how many times do teams blow the picks they could have traded on guys that don't work out anyway?

I think the Falcons hunting down Julio Jones worked out well. They had a down year, last year, but I expect them to bounce back.

I also think that the jury is still out on Washington with RG III. Looked like a great move year one. Last year struggled with injuries, etc. But he still may turn out to be a franchise guy.

I agree that it is a big roll of the dice and probably works out less often than not. But I wouldn't say it is a guaranteed loser move. Also, how many times do teams blow the picks they could have traded on guys that don't work out anyway?

Even though Jones turned out to be a great player, many people have blamed that trade for the general depletion of the Falcon's roster. And of course he suffered a serious injury this year--which is another reason I hate giving up multiple high picks for one guy. All it takes is one injury and the team is SOL, whereas with multiple picks, you are much less dependent on one guy's ACL. By the way, I don't think too many Redskins fans would make the RGIII trade if they had it to do over again. I just hate the idea of the team putting all of its eggs in one basket. Too many things can go wrong, especially with a guy like Clowney, who has way too many question marks to be viewed as a sure-fire franchise player.

It's a good article and glad he points out last years Dolphins trade. Only cost them a second round pick to move from 12 to 3. Some very convincing arguments made.

I don't know...I don't think that point is all that valid...

The talent pool at the top last year is no where near the one for this year...That's why the Fish were able to move that far up for only a 2nd round pick...Dion Jordan compared to Robinson, Watkins, Clowney, Matthews, Evans, and Mack? There's not much comparison there...And I like Dion Jordan...But the best comparison to Dion Jordan in this Draft is Barr...And he's probably not going in the top 10...Maybe not in the top 15...Also, what the Redskins gave up had little to no bearing on what the Fish had to give up the following year contrary to what this author claims...The Skins were moving up for an unquestioned Franchise QB prospect...A QB who was considered at the time to be one of the best prospect QB's in a decade...You're always going to have to give up more to move up for a Franchise QB because in all likelihood there is going to be competition for that pick...Everyone knows that...I doubt there was too much competition for #2 overall last year considering the prospects...So... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

I don't know...I don't think that point is all that valid...

The talent pool at the top last year is no where near the one for this year...That's why the Fish were able to move that far up for only a 2nd round pick...Dion Jordan compared to Robinson, Watkins, Clowney, Matthews, Evans, and Mack? There's not much comparison there...And I like Dion Jordan...But the best comparison to Dion Jordan in this Draft is Barr...And he's probably not going in the top 10...Maybe not in the top 15...Also, what the Redskins gave up had little to no bearing on what the Fish had to give up the following year contrary to what this author claims...The Skins were moving up for an unquestioned Franchise QB prospect...A QB who was considered at the time to be one of the best prospect QB's in a decade...You're always going to have to give up more to move up for a Franchise QB because in all likelihood there is going to be competition for that pick...Everyone knows that...I doubt there was too much competition for #2 overall last year considering the prospects...So... B-)

You can't compare Jordan to Barr and where he would go now. Jordan was thought of as the best pass rusher in last years draft. Hence why the Dolphins went up and got him.

And that's my point, the Bills wouldn't be trading up for a QB. It's a possibility that a QB won't even go top #4. So that price the Redskins paid already isn't there. The Texans wouldn't really be able to fleece anyone for a ton of picks because that franchise QB isn't there, like it was when St. Louis traded out.

I'm not saying it still wouldn't take a lot, just not maybe automatically two #1's.

Chris Trapasso@ChrisTrapasso 3m

Don't necessarily agree, but good argument here from @RQUINN619 saying #Bills should move up to No. 1 for J.Clowney | http://forgedinbuffalo.com/media/sports

The trade from 9 to 1 would cost much more than he says. It's barely close to what he says. Add a 2015 first to it and then probably. Chances are we don't get 9 to 1 without giving up a 2015 first. Would be a bad move.