Which Bills could switch sides of the ball?

I got to thinking, after commenting on another topic... Which players from the Buffalo Bills roster do you think could switch sides of the ball? IE a guy who typically plays offense, taking a couple effective snaps on defense, or vice versa. This is purely conjecture, I'm not saying we should actually do it, and I think Buffalo's roster is now skilled enough that if someone were to pull a George Wilson, he would probably would be cut for someone more talented before they fully had the switch down, instead of when Wilson played on an already weak roster.

I'm going to try to pick one person from each side of the ball, but if you have a couple, that's fine. And I won't take the obvious one, because we all know Sanborn and Kiko can play all 22 positions on the field. Let's REALLY test ourselves. My picks are:

OLB/DE Manny Lawson to TE Manny Lawson. Lawson has the kind of length and size to generate a considerable catch radius, short area quickness to get open, and strength to be a capable run blocker. I like this idea, but just don't know how good his hands are... I assume bad, otherwise, a guy that size, with those physical skills, would be best utilized on offense.

LT Cordy Glenn to NT Cordy Glenn. Glenn has shown good power, balance and quickness as a remarkably large left tackle, which would be valuable skills as a 0-gap Nose Tackle. He is 6'6", 345 lbs, which would be a major problem for any center to move, or he could either bulk up to the 360lbs range and almost always require 2 blockers or drop down to 315 lbs range and really become a problematic long and strong penetrator ala Muhammad Wilkerson.

Who else do you guys have in mind as possible layers who could transfer their skills to the other side of the ball, with success?

No doubt in my mind that Freddy could play WLB.

I think on his heaviest day, he weighs as much as Keith Ellison, on his average day he is Aaron Maybin, so he may not be big enough to effectively get through blocks. And I say that with no bad intent whatsoever, he is by far my favorite Buffalo Bill, ever. Just so much a 225 lb 5'10" guy can do at linebacker.

Eric Wood DT

Stephon Gilmore WR

CBF

If I was going to have an honorable mention, it would have had Wood at DT. I see Kyle and Wood as similar mentality, and similar physical makeup.

Do you think Stef has the ball skills to play WR? And he's really kore known for physicality than speed... But I guess there are guys who make that work at WR, good call.

I thought about Searcy, first at RB too, but then thought he might make an effective Aaron Hernandez slot TE type more, as (and I could be wrong) but he just seems a little too long/tall for RB.

Searcy is identical in weight to Fred Jackson, but 2 inches shorter...that's not to say it proves anything, just thought I'd point that out from a logistical standpoint.

Great thread by the way.

Searcy is identical in weight to Fred Jackson, but 2 inches shorter...that's not to say it proves anything, just thought I'd point that out from a logistical standpoint.

Great thread by the way.

Thank you for pointing that out, I didn't realize that.

How about a heavy hitter like Searcy, only bigger... Nigel Bradham to RB? 6'2", 240 lbs, nice speed, likes contact.

I would like to see Da'Norris Searcy as a RB; he's built to handle 20-25 carries per game, and seems to have closing speed.

Going the other direction, I'd bet TJ Graham could acquit himself nicely as a CB.

He's got bad hands for a CB.

GO BILLS!!!

That took twelve minutes, what's wrong?

It was in the OP. You don't start a thread like this without immediately acknowledging Kiko could dominate at all 22 positions, as well as coaching. Who could dispute a Kiko challenge on the play?

The only scenario I see is a goal line big package to punch it in with either Kyle Williams, or Allen Branch, or maybe even Dareus.

obviously kiko would win at all positions, but FB in these situations would suit him perfectly. ok kiko, just run as fast as you can at the guy in the b gap, and go!

Captain obvious here, but Kiko Alonso would be all-pro at just about every position.

with no one else on the field for the Bills. !

If I was the Bills coaches, I'd make Lee Smith a OT. He is the worst receiver in the league but he would be a really athletic tackle.

I love this idea. And with Marrone being a former OL coach, you think he could teach him the techniques. He has the athletic ability. Plus, he could be one of those "eligible" offensive lineman in goaline situations. Perhaps this happens if they draft a TE early as they will have too many then. At least train him to play OT for depth purposes

The only scenario I see is a goal line big package to punch it in with either Kyle Williams, or Allen Branch, or maybe even Dareus.

Would love this. And on the off chance we draft Barr from UCLA, he could obviously be used as a red zone/goaline RB/FB.

How about Easely----6'2" 217 lbs he's fast, obviously tackles well, and apparently gets no respect from Bills as a WR.

Does Easley really tackle? He does not really ever make open field tackles on special teams. He runs into people. Return men are typically smallish. A punt returner who has a focus on catching the ball is way different than tackling a RB in the open field.

Does Easley really tackle? He does not really ever make open field tackles on special teams. He runs into people. Return men are typically smallish. A punt returner who has a focus on catching the ball is way different than tackling a RB in the open field.

I get what you're saying, and yes those skills are different, between safety and gunner, but from what I remember, he is a surprisingly strong tackler for a guy whose only ever played offense.

It's too bad that the NFL doesn't have an effective minor league system, like the MLB, to send a guy down, work on his craft by getting many snaps against others in a game-type situation, and come back up having improved on a weakness at their current position, or having learned a whole new position, like what Rick Ankiel did with the Cardinals. A guy like Easley, who is likely stuck on ST's if he wants to make a roster, not good enough to make it at WR, and limited coaching time under the new CBA with heavy restrictions on practice time, to hinder his coaching interaction to make the position switch, would be perfect for it. He's on the edge of the Bills' roster (though he is a valuable STer), but a year in the "minors" and he could come back up with a valuable new skill set, and get new life in the league.

I know he is gone now but I always wanted to try Corey McIntyre at MLB

Oh, and I'll be the one to make the joke... I really have him pegged more as the Jack LB.