Bills sign CB Corey Graham--interview on BB.com

#21 or #24 may be competing for the starting job in camp. Graham will be making $4 mill/yr? Not really bench money. And Robey was the #1 Nickel corner in the NFL. Plus this:

Kevin Massare@KevinMassare 3m

@RQUINN619 Nope, he will get significant time. He has escalators if he plays more than 60%

A little competition never hurt anyone, right?

It's all good...After the injury problems we had at CB last year I say the more the merrier... :thumbsup:

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I really the only one who thinks that Gilmore has underachieved. Obviously his injured hand affected his play, but often he gets caught out of position. Say what you guys want, but I cant believe Im the only one who thinks this.

No you're not alone. If you listen to all the hype about Gilmore you'd think he's a top 10 corner. If you watch him on game day, what you see is a corner who gets beat too often, is inconsistent and has no hands to turn the ball over. He's a very average corner at this point and I hope he turns a corner this season.

#21 or #24 may be competing for the starting job in camp. Graham will be making $4 mill/yr? Not really bench money. And Robey was the #1 Nickel corner in the NFL. Plus this:

Kevin Massare@KevinMassare 3m

@RQUINN619 Nope, he will get significant time. He has escalators if he plays more than 60%

A little competition never hurt anyone, right?

I just want to point out that you are referencing a conversation between two nobodys on Twitter. It carries as much weight as linking a conversation from page 2 of this thread. (No offense if you know/are those people, just sayin')

I don't get this signing. Robey was great last year. Certainly better as a cb3 than Gilmore and Leo were in their relative positions. The upgrade, if there is one, will be marginal. Either way, one of them is getting bumped to the 4th cb spot. Good for injury insurance, I guess. Otherwise, seems like a lateral move.

Tell me if I'm crazy...Robey gets a look at FS.

Wouldnt surprise me if they try this after the succesfull project Williams was (is). Also wouldnt surprise me if they grab Carol with the intention to move him to FS.

No you're not alone. If you listen to all the hype about Gilmore you'd think he's a top 10 corner. If you watch him on game day, what you see is a corner who gets beat too often, is inconsistent and has no hands to turn the ball over. He's a very average corner at this point and I hope he turns a corner this season.

I disagree, the hype was justified given his year 1 performance. He looked even better prior to his injury, then after the injury it was bad but actually getting better each game, especially once he was playing without his cask. Basicly the season was a disaster for Gilmore, let's hope he bounces back this year.

I like Robey a lot, but I wouldn't put him on a bigger WR or TE. Graham can help with the bigger guys and Robey can shut down the smaller guys. The Vincent Jackson TD that made Robey look like a kindergartener is probably what prompted this move. Either way, pretty much every team starts 3 corners anyway.

Love the pick-up. He will add experience and passion to an already exciting secondary. Special team skills help a lot too, and he wants to be here. How many Buffalo fans get to play for the team? Just awesome! Internal competition is so important and Donnie may even help him get better. I like our dime and quarters packages already. :thumbsup:

I like Robey a lot, but I wouldn't put him on a bigger WR or TE. Graham can help with the bigger guys and Robey can shut down the smaller guys. The Vincent Jackson TD that made Robey look like a kindergartener is probably what prompted this move. Either way, pretty much every team starts 3 corners anyway.

It just occured to me that the addition of another nickel might be specifially targeted at playing the Pats* and other teams/systems who have basicly two guys in the slot.

I don't get this signing. Robey was great last year. Certainly better as a cb3 than Gilmore and Leo were in their relative positions. The upgrade, if there is one, will be marginal. Either way, one of them is getting bumped to the 4th cb spot. Good for injury insurance, I guess. Otherwise, seems like a lateral move.

I understand your question, but with the Pats, we need 4 good CB's on defense. He's also an excellent Special teams player. It's nice to know we finally will get some depth at the position. With Byrd gone, we'll see how those two draft picks will do behind Williams and Searcy. The real question is this new Guard going to pan out as well as the new LB. they. Filled holes, but are they value picks.

I see us making more of these role player additions. Based on Branch, Lawson, and Hughes as successes, I'm hopeful Whaley will make good decisions. His only miss was the Brown, Legursky pick ups last year. Legursky looked like a good decision prior to arriving, but didn't workout.

It just occured to me that the addition of another nickel might be specifially targeted at playing the Pats* and other teams/systems who have basicly two guys in the slot.

Or tight ends. Robey is a great nickel corner but you don't want him matched up on Gronkowski... Graham is bigger, albeit not by much.

I just want to point out that you are referencing a conversation between two nobodys on Twitter. It carries as much weight as linking a conversation from page 2 of this thread. (No offense if you know/are those people, just sayin')

Oh, I get that. They are a couple of Bills bloggers who are a pretty good follow in that have some good thoughts and insight. One of the nobodies. Massare, says he has a source at OBD so I thought the contract details on the PT escalators was interesting, which was why I used the Tweet. I re.alize these things are always FWIW

I understand your question, but with the Pats, we need 4 good CB's on defense. He's also an excellent Special teams player. It's nice to know we finally will get some depth at the position. With Byrd gone, we'll see how those two draft picks will do behind Williams and Searcy. The real question is this new Guard going to pan out as well as the new LB. they. Filled holes, but are they value picks.

I see us making more of these role player additions. Based on Branch, Lawson, and Hughes as successes, I'm hopeful Whaley will make good decisions. His only miss was the Brown, Legursky pick ups last year. Legursky looked like a good decision prior to arriving, but didn't workout.

Good point and also, remember we play the NFC North this year and Schwartz is all too familiar with the WRs and TEs in that dicision. We need to cover Megatron, Brandon Marshall, Alshon Jeffery... plus we play Houston with Andre Johnson and Browns with Josh Gordon. All huge WRs and the TEs Martellus Bennett, Gronk, Ladarius Green and Gates in SD, Julius Thomas in the AFC West, etc. It not only provides depth at corner and ST boost, but we will likely be playing all 4 quite a but when all healthy. Edited by YoloinOhio

I really like this signing, along with almost everyone else. I'm guessing that Graham will start as the nickel/slot corner. (And make no mistake, that is a starter. All this talk about looking for a 2-down LB should really be about looking for a 1-down LB. Teams only spend 30-40% of the time in "base" personnel with 4 or fewer DBs.) If anyone gets hurt or needs a breather, Robey will come in at the slot, with Graham moving outside unless he's the one who came out. If 2 guys get hurt, then Ron Brooks comes in, and while he's no great shakes, I don't think he's automatic to get torched the way Rogers was last year. I actually really like our depth at CB! (Not really any other positions, though. Maybe D-line or kicker?)

Other things to like: the money's right -- about $4mil/year plus incentives. That's low-end starter money, fairly similar to McKelvin, and seems fair for both team and player. Of course, you gotta love that he's from Buffalo and has dreamed about playing for the Bills! And, not that it means a lot, I like that he's had some big success against Brady and the Pats. One would hope that Graham will be a very positive presence in the locker room, especially in terms of bringing a winning attitude.

I really like this signing, along with almost everyone else. I'm guessing that Graham will start as the nickel/slot corner. (And make no mistake, that is a starter. All this talk about looking for a 2-down LB should really be about looking for a 1-down LB. Teams only spend 30-40% of the time in "base" personnel with 4 or fewer DBs.) If anyone gets hurt or needs a breather, Robey will come in at the slot, with Graham moving outside unless he's the one who came out. If 2 guys get hurt, then Ron Brooks comes in, and while he's no great shakes, I don't think he's automatic to get torched the way Rogers was last year. I actually really like our depth at CB! (Not really any other positions, though. Maybe D-line or kicker?)

Other things to like: the money's right -- about $4mil/year plus incentives. That's low-end starter money, fairly similar to McKelvin, and seems fair for both team and player. Of course, you gotta love that he's from Buffalo and has dreamed about playing for the Bills! And, not that it means a lot, I like that he's had some big success against Brady and the Pats. One would hope that Graham will be a very positive presence in the locker room, especially in terms of bringing a winning attitude.

In addition to Graham's DB duties as the most likely candidate for slot Corner, he'll also be a great ST gunner in tandem with Easley.

agreed on all fronts. ive been frustrated in a few spots this offseason but like this one a lot. this is a great spot to drop names of value vets that have played well and fit a role on our team like branch or lawson