Jairus Byrd [was Jarius Byrd]

I think this whole Byrd controversy is way overblown. This isn't an all-time great Buffalo Bill we are talking about. He is very good safety, that stood out playing for a string of very bad Bills teams. If he doesn't want to be here, use the money to shore up another area, and pay the guys that want to stay with the team.

I have him as my 3rd best Buffalo Bill safety behind George Saimes and Bill Simpson. I'd actually put Tony Green in the conversation as well.

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think this whole Byrd controversy is way overblown. This isn't an all-time great Buffalo Bill we are talking about. He is very good safety, that stood out playing for a string of very bad Bills teams. If he doesn't want to be here, use the money to shore up another area, and pay the guys that want to stay with the team.

I agree.

I really couldn't care less where Byrd goes or what he does.

And while I think Byrd is very good, I wouldn't exactly be shaking in my boots when/if he played him.

It's been pretty quiet for a year now. We will see if that's a soft market or an agent that keeps quiet most of the time. If he hadn't fielded any offers one would think he'd be jumping on ours.

It'll be interesting to see the conclusion this week, as it really could go a number of ways on dollars and location

I'm starting to think there was a bit of genius in what the Bills did.

First they float that they will franchise him. This may cause some teams to not exactly due to their diligence on him as he won't be available so why bother. They then craft their off-season plan without him in consideration.

Second they float 3 years 30 million dollars. This lets teams know that it will take 10 million per year to get him. Even if they had thought about him this had to give at least a couple of teams pause forcing them to re-evaluate whether they wanted to spend that kind of money on a safety.

This strategy (if I'm even close) forces teams to make high dollar decisions rapidly without a lot of preparation. I'm a kool-aid drinker and an optimist so I may be just imagining all of this but I'm starting to see the logic and ingenuity in all of this.

http://www.nj.com/ea..._to_report.html

Sorry if already posted....

CBF

Aaaaannnnddd just as I post I get brought back to reality. He is only looking for 9 million a year but turned down 10 from the Bills? Maybe he does just want to leave then :cry::blush:. This is going to be an interesting few days...

Edited by section122

I'm starting to think there was a bit of genius in what the Bills did.

First they float that they will franchise him. This may cause some teams to not exactly due to their diligence on him as he won't be available so why bother. They then craft their off-season plan without him in consideration.

Second they float 3 years 30 million dollars. This lets teams know that it will take 10 million per year to get him. Even if they had thought about him this had to give at least a couple of teams pause forcing them to re-evaluate whether they wanted to spend that kind of money on a safety.

This strategy (if I'm even close) forces teams to make high dollar decisions rapidly without a lot of preparation. I'm a kool-aid drinker and an optimist so I may be just imagining all of this but I'm starting to see the logic and ingenuity in all of this.

Nothing wrong with hoping for a positive outcome. Even better if the Bills forced the issue with some shrewd FA tactics. I'm one of the few (only?) who thinks there's a good chance he resigns so I'd personally love nothing more than your plan coming to fruition.

Better weather, a team that's closer to success, and either as much, or more money? Why would I hate him for that?

Edit: And isn't there no income tax in Florida? That's like a bonus as well.

Edited by Dorkington

Better weather, a team that's closer to success, and either as much, or more money? Why would I hate him for that?

Edit: And isn't there no income tax in Florida? That's like a bonus as well.

Closer to success? Based on what? Tannahill? The Martin/Icognito fiasco? Did we not sweep them?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Closer to success? Based on what? Tannahill? The Martin/Icognito fiasco?

Maybe he's referring to the nonexistent running backs ? Count me as a homer, I think buffalo is in a better position with all the young talent coming up (Kiko/Woods/cordy/EJ**)

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Heard it on the radio on the way in this morning from the Fins beat writer. Apparently its solid but a lot of people use Miami as leverage for other spots to land, that is the word with Byrd and Albert. They think 5 years 50 mill will be the number but it all depends on the guarantee money. I still think he ends up a Texan.

ESPN - Pro Bowl Bills free-agent S Jairus Byrd seeks long-term deal averaging $9M per season, source tells ESPN

Mind you all that ESPN has barely said a thing about Byrd. This may be the second Terry about him. The first was that he was not tagged

Edited by jboyst62

ESPN - Pro Bowl Bills free-agent S Jairus Byrd seeks long-term deal averaging $9M per season, source tells ESPN

Mind you all that ESPN has barely said a thing about Byrd. This may be the second Terry about him. The first was that he was not tagged

might that imply that our roughly 30m in 3 years was either inaccurate or quickly fell off in pay after that? it did strike me as odd that there were the 10m rumors but that it was always in a window, and described as simply one of the highest paid... 10m per year i thought wouldve garnered more attention as being noteworthy.

They were 8-8 last year, we were 6-10.

Have they lost a bunch of talent in the off season? (serious question)

they haven't shown success with that talent. I am fairly certain I am not mixing last year up with every other year they have had but they started out and got many of those wins earlier in the season. By December they were done.

Ok, fine. The Dolphins are not closer to success... no matter what recent records state.

I still don't hate Byrd for going to another team. It's clear he doesn't want what we are offering, either in money, environment, or success.

might that imply that our roughly 30m in 3 years was either inaccurate or quickly fell off in pay after that? it did strike me as odd that there were the 10m rumors but that it was always in a window, and described as simply one of the highest paid... 10m per year i thought wouldve garnered more attention as being noteworthy.

the only source I trust with this is Wawrow and that cannot really be used for much to fuel speculation. With the AP regulations he can't just post gossip. When Werder tweeted about Byrd turning down the deal Wawrow quickly pointed out he was entirely off base and it was rumor.

The money was probably high and I don't doubt the Bills. A 5 or 6 year deal. Offering $10mm the first 3 years and maybe $25-30mm over the last 3 seasons. It'd not be hard to imagine him getting a big deal from the Bills.

What I am curious about:

Where is his full time residence?

Does he rent or own in Buffalo?

Is he an NY resident?

Does he drive a Taurus?

Either Buffalo didn't make an offer consistent with what Parker believed Byrd was worth or the player was not re-signing with Buffalo. I'm interested to know how much guaranteed money was in that release the Bills put out about 3 years and 30M via back door channels. Something doesn't wash about it.