Jairus Byrd [was Jarius Byrd]

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If Cleveland offered us their 2nd 1st for Byrd I would take it in an instant. If the Bills had a plan in place. How about they sign FA Chris Clemons from the Fins. Yes he is a step down from Byrd, but still a very solid player. A whole lot less money, and less issues than Byrd. Reliable and durable.Can he play FS? Using a mid round draft pick could get us another decent S prospect for the future. Ahmad Dixon SS, Calvin Pryor FS, Deone Bucannon SS. Hakeem Smith SS, Kenny Ladler in later rounds for development.

And add in a trade down with our 1st, wow, what a draft the BIlls would have to totally transform the team in one year.

Pettine is rumored to want Byrd, Cle has an extra 1st round pick #23. Win, win for both teams. Whaley should already be testing the waters on this trade!! It's been reported that either Byrd signs or he gets the tag, Buffalo won't let him walk on his own terms and they shouldn't.

That's why it's so implausible. The bills aren't going to get a 1st from anyone for Byrd.

Why not? Cle has a pick to burn and Byrd has more value than any safety they can get with pick #23 since he can teach the defense like Pettine wants? Edited by NorCalBillsSabres

I don't think it's money that's at the top of Byrd's decision criteria. He wants to win, and he doesn't think he can do it here. I think the last straw for him was losing to the Falcons in Toronto. Every player on the team knows the Toronto series shows the Bills aren't about winning, they're about making money for Wilson and his family. There are probably enough good ex-Bills in the NFL now to replace half our starters and would be upgrades, but the Bills are still millions under the salary cap, and they couldn't use that money effectively because few FAs will tolerate an environment like this. How we're able to keep ANY good players is a mystery to me. The Bills will never get past this until the Wilson lapdogs, primarily Jeff Littman, are gone.

Edited by Utah John

I don't think it's money that's at the top of Byrd's decision criteria. He wants to win, and he doesn't think he can do it here. I think the last straw for him was losing to the Falcons in Toronto. Every player on the team knows the Toronto series shows the Bills aren't about winning, they're about making money for Wilson and his family. There are probably enough good ex-Bills in the NFL now to replace half our starters and would be upgrades, but the Bills are still millions under the salary cap, and they couldn't use that money effectively because few FAs will tolerate an environment like this. How we're able to keep ANY good players is a mystery to me. The Bills will never get past this until the Wilson lapdogs, primarily Jeff Littman, are gone.

This. The day is soon coming when the owner will be gone then we will see a change. Till then, accept what this team is: a farm team.

I think that last year was the 1st year that Russ Brandon had total control. Despite what some may think -that is a good thing. Russ is a really bright guy with a good reputation around the league and his top people on all sides are pretty strong. Prior to that he split power with Litmman really and he was a problem IMO. I think that the team is in a much, much, much better place now that Littman's reign of terror is over. I guess only time will tell but from my knowledge of the situation it is definitely a positive.

I think that last year was the 1st year that Russ Brandon had total control. Despite what some may think -that is a good thing. Russ is a really bright guy with a good reputation around the league and his top people on all sides are pretty strong. Prior to that he split power with Litmman really and he was a problem IMO. I think that the team is in a much, much, much better place now that Littman's reign of terror is over. I guess only time will tell but from my knowledge of the situation it is definitely a positive.

If Buffalo doesn't re-sign Jairus Byrd it'll be hard to see how much has changed considering their cap situation before possible cuts.

If Buffalo doesn't re-sign Jairus Byrd it'll be hard to see how much has changed considering their cap situation before possible cuts.

It depends on the number. He is not worth $10M a year IMO (no saftey is). If the number gets up there you have to make wise business decisions. The 49ers let Goldson go last year in a similar situation and I think of them as a good organization. It is never as simple as "is this player good? Then he must stay." There is a value that you have to put to each player and each position.

I would love to have Byrd back at the right price. If they can't work out a deal tag him and trade him. Use those savings to sign at least 1 starting OL and to extend Dareus.

Why not? Cle has a pick to burn and Byrd has more value than any safety they can get with pick #23 since he can teach the defense like Pettine wants?

I do not know if it is that simple. It sounds good? But, its a big pill to swallow when putting it in front of reality. A team that is so unorganized uniting to make a huge decision spending a first round pick for a player that suits their head coach, someone that may or may not work out and is not even the preferred target for the new big chief all while the player is not considered to be truly elite by the measurable blablabla the stats like and is still just a free safety...?

I'd like to think it was as simple as Cleveland wanting a premier and elite player to compliment their new head coach and solidify a very good unit... but, I cannot say it is.

It depends on the number. He is not worth $10M a year IMO (no saftey is). If the number gets up there you have to make wise business decisions. The 49ers let Goldson go last year in a similar situation and I think of them as a good organization. It is never as simple as "is this player good? Then he must stay." There is a value that you have to put to each player and each position.

I would love to have Byrd back at the right price. If they can't work out a deal tag him and trade him. Use those savings to sign at least 1 starting OL and to extend Dareus.

San Francisco allowed Goldson to leave after they'd re-signed Patrick Willis, Navorro Bowman, Joe Staley, Ahmad Brooks, Vernon Davis, and Anthony Davis to contracts totaling more than 70M in guarantees between 2010 and 2013. It's not hard to see why they prioritized those guys over Goldson.

http://www.spotrac.c...rancisco-49ers/

The Bills simply don't have the guys coming up who'll need contract extensions and which might preclude them from re-signing Jairus Byrd. And it certainly doesn't matter what us fans think Byrd is worth because the market determines value.

Edited by BillsVet

San Francisco allowed Goldson to leave after they'd re-signed Patrick Willis, Navorro Bowman, Joe Staley, Ahmad Brooks, Vernon Davis, and Anthony Davis to contracts totaling more than 70M in guarantees between 2010 and 2013. It's not hard to see why they prioritized those guys over Goldson.

http://www.spotrac.c...rancisco-49ers/

The Bills simply don't have the guys coming up who'll need contract extensions and which might preclude them from re-signing Jairus Byrd. And it certainly doesn't matter what us fans think Byrd is worth because the market determines value.

I hear you and make no mistake I am a fan of Byrd. He is a really good football player. I just look at it if I would rather have Byrd for say $10M or TJ Ward for $7M (slide AW to Byrd's spot), Travelle Wharton for $3M and an extra 2nd - 3rd round pick? Just thinking out loud there...