Michael Sam is out.

agardin

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do we have 8 pages on that?

How's being a distraction working for Tim Tebow? Not many qb's have a playoff victory.

Yet most throw the ball better and he fits no ones scheme... So there's that too. Plenty of distractions in every locker room whether coaches like it or not

I haven't seen everything in this thread, but I have to say I find the whole thing weird.

The story goes that this guy announced to his team that he is gay in August. What is that? Why wouldn't it be all of the time or none of the time? I doubt he is making it up because he would have say April or something if it was fake. August is training camp.

Yet most throw the ball better and he fits no ones scheme... So there's that too. Plenty of distractions in every locker room whether coaches like it or not

Yes, but they rarely invite distractions, they have enough to deal with already.

You don't think Tebow has enough talent to on be a practice squad somewhere in the league?

Da'Rick didn't work hard enough, and he wasn't kept around, not even on the practice squad.

Edited by 4BillsintheBurgh

You don't think Tebow has enough talent to be a practice squad somewhere in the league?

tebow is not eligible for the practice squad any longer.

im not saying some coaches wont cross him off the list but i dont think it will be all. i think plenty will see it as no distraction at all.

Edited by NoSaint

I'd like to see the folks saying that this is attention seeking or somehow throwing it in our faces try and walk in the shoes of a gay person for a couple of days. You can still get the **** kicked out of you (or worse) in a lot of places in this country (and world) for acknowledging being gay. There are lots of good reasons to come out, insulting / spiting other people really isn't one of them.

I haven't seen everything in this thread, but I have to say I find the whole thing weird.

The story goes that this guy announced to his team that he is gay in August. What is that? Why wouldn't it be all of the time or none of the time? I doubt he is making it up because he would have say April or something if it was fake. August is training camp.

Right, but you're talking about non-conference games, which don't hurt his draft stock as much as in conference games.

tebow is not eligible for the practice squad any longer.

im not saying some coaches wont cross him off the list but i dont think it will be all. i think plenty will see it as no distraction at all.

I didn't say it would be all, but I think it will be more than you think. Front offices seem to be very risk averse, guys have dropped in the draft for many reasons and there is so much taken into account.

Somebody upthread talked about how the Titans in the 90's had a couple "rumored" to be gay but that was "back then". Guys that age are coaching now, so that attitude isn't totally gone.

Do we have 8 pages on that?

How's being a distraction working for Tim Tebow? Not many qb's have a playoff victory.

The question that you should be asking is why a man's sexual orientation is only a "distraction" when he's gay? Why do we have 8 pages on Sam's orientation? Why wasn't this glossed over just like A-Rodg's comments?

His agent is prob already getting calls from Nike or Starbucks. Not sure where you live, but many people will want to buy something with his name on it for being the first openly gay player. Nike already makes "gay" oriented appeal. Gm's will prob ask him how he would deal with morons who use slurs toward him. I doubt Whaley, Colbert, and GMs from other classy organizations will harass him. That's why I said I hope he ends up on a professionally run team (Buffalo, pit, GB, etc). I wish him nothing but the best. I don't see him falling. if the Bills miss an opportunity to get him at a good value/ where he should be and don't I'll be upset.

Starbucks is a billion dollar company that has never advertised. They don't have coupons and they don't do commercials. They sell on word of mouth. Starbucks doesn't need his help. Edited by offsides#76FredSmerlas

The question that you should be asking is why a man's sexual orientation is only a "distraction" when he's gay? Why do we have 8 pages on Sam's orientation? Why wasn't this glossed over just like A-Rodg's comments?

You mean the comments where he felt obligied to say he really liked women because there were rumors that he was gay? He felt the need to comment for the same reason we've got discussion here. You may not like where we are as a society, but it's where we are. There have certainly been changes over the course of time, but these changes do not come in the night swiftly and silently. You may hope that it would but it does not. At the time "don't ask, don't tell" was a breakthrough but now it's seen as close minded. One example of how things change.

You want to think I don't understand what's going on you are entitled to your opinon. I am merely pointing out that I don't believe most front offices will want to put up with the additional distractions. What's going to happen if he gets cut? Will it be because.... The talking points are there and therefore the distractions, right or wrong.

You mean the comments where he felt obligied to say he really liked women because there were rumors that he was gay? He felt the need to comment for the same reason we've got discussion here. You may not like where we are as a society, but it's where we are. There have certainly been changes over the course of time, but these changes do not come in the night swiftly and silently. You may hope that it would but it does not. At the time "don't ask, don't tell" was a breakthrough but now it's seen as close minded. One example of how things change.

You want to think I don't understand what's going on you are entitled to your opinon. I am merely pointing out that I don't believe most front offices will want to put up with the additional distractions. What's going to happen if he gets cut? Will it be because.... The talking points are there and therefore the distractions, right or wrong.

So we can agree that Sam did nothing more to make himself a distraction than A-Rodg.

Sam didn't make himself a distraction. Tebow didn't make himself a distraction. The idiots covering them make the distraction. Lets assign blame properly.

http://m.si.com/3861...m-announcement/

And here is why this is somewhat of a big deal. I think publicly everyone will be welcoming, because to not do so is outs you as a bigot. But the teams will be approaching this from a risk management perspective and it will be viewed as a risk for no other reason than that Sam is the first.

If teams can ignore him in the draft and stand behind the claim of evaluation on football merits, you can rest assured that some will. It's in fact the safest way for them to avoid the issue.

I find it hilarious there are and will be scouts and GMs basing their evaluations on football merit claiming that the SEC Defensive Player of the Year just isn't that good. :doh:

Edited by uncle flap

So we can agree that Sam did nothing more to make himself a distraction than A-Rodg.

Sam didn't make himself a distraction. Tebow didn't make himself a distraction. The idiots covering them make the distraction. Lets assign blame properly.

I don't agree with that because it is different sides of the majority and the media reacts to what sells and fuels the distraction.

But I will end this conversation now because I do not believe it is about football and I not here to argue.

What is there not to agree with ? You are saying he is causing a distraction by being himself. What the frig do you want him to do ?

Hide in the closet to appease people he doesn't know like you who think his way of life is distracting ?

Come on man, put yourself in his shoes. Tough spot.

I find it hilarious there are and will be scouts and GMs basing their evaluations on football merit claiming that the SEC Defensive Player of the Year just isn't that good. :doh:

hes a tweener - he was projected as a mid rounder. which makes it a tough one as an outsider to gauge. before this id seen "anywhere from 4th - 7th round" and some that were a little higher as an evaluation, so who knows what this will do.

Edited by NoSaint

Questions about his ability at the next level have existed for a while now; way before his announcement yesterday. At a reported 6' 2" and 255, he's a very short and light DE at the college level. He'll most likely have to make the transition to OLB in the pros and there are questions about his having the athleticism necessary.

GO BILLS!!!

Questions about his ability at the next level have existed for a while now; way before his announcement yesterday. At a reported 6' 2" and 255, he's a very short and light DE at the college level. He'll most likely have to make the transition to OLB in the pros and there are questions about his having the athleticism necessary.

GO BILLS!!!

Reminds me of Jerry Hughes--just let him rush the passer and he'll be fine.

Sorry if already posted...Peter King on the Sam revelation:

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/02/09/michael-sam-monday-morning-quarterback/

Reminds me of Jerry Hughes--just let him rush the passer and he'll be fine.

Good comparison in terms of size but I don't know about athleticism...yet. As I recall, Hughes had a pretty good 10 yard split time coming out as well as very good lateral quickness. I'd need to see the same from Sam before I took a guess at where he might go in the draft.

GO BILLS!!!

Yeah I got to thinking about this so I did some digging

Past Winners:

Jarvis Jones 1st round 17th

Morris Claiborne 1st round 6th

Patrick Peterson 1st round th

Rolando McCLain 1st round 8th

Eric Berry 1st round 5th

Glen Dorsey 1st round 5th

Patrick Willis 1st round 11th

DeMeco Ryans 2nd round 33rd

David Pollack 1st round 17th

Chad Lavalais 5th round 142 overall

So the last 7 players have all gone in the first round. Sam was rated 3rd-4th round before this so it will certainly be interesting to see what happens from here.

Good comparison in terms of size but I don't know about athleticism...yet. As I recall, Hughes had a pretty good 10 yard split time coming out as well as very good lateral quickness. I'd need to see the same from Sam before I took a guess at where he might go in the draft.

GO BILLS!!!

That's probably true based on what little I've seen of Sam...my comparison was more in terms of the role I expect him to play in the NFL.

GO BILLS!!!

You are correct. Hughes' sack projection was off the charts. Sam is not in Hughes' class as an athlete.

"used to be a lesbian" :lol: So she is bisexual and has had both gay and straight relationships? Did she choose to be bisexual?

What real world observations? You pointed out a person who is bisexual and mislabeled herself as a lesbian? Why would people choose to be gay? Seriously give me one good honest reason. Please! I have never understood this argument.

SHE said this less than a year ago: Bill de Blasio's wife opened up about falling in love with a man after years of identifying as a lesbian and their life as a “very conventional, unconventional couple” in a candid interview released Thursday. Chirlane McCray, 58, said her relationship with de Blasio was made possible “by putting aside the assumptions I had about the form and package my love would come in.” The interview, with Essence magazine, comes 34 years after McCray penned a groundbreaking 1979 essay for Essence entitled, “I Am a Lesbian,” about coming out as a gay black woman.

Why do people smoke cigarettes? They're bad for your health (we've known this for about 50+ years now), they make you stink. they force you to take your work breaks in inconvenient places, & the habit is expensive. Why do people do hard drugs? You could get arrested & go to jail, you could OD & die, and the habit is usually expensive. Why do some people drive their car and/or motorcycle at very high speeds on public highways? You could get arrested & go to jail. You could crash & die. Why do people drink alcohol in excessive amounts? You could get sick. With too much alcohol in a short period of time, you could actually die. The alcohol consumption could cause you to lose control of rational thoughts & actions, and you could do something illegal; you could become a danger to yourself or to others (DUI, accidents at work, etc.). Why do serial killers kill? Are they "born to do so?"

Why do people do ANY risky, dangerous, out of the norm, or looked-down-upon behavior? Are they making a choice to do those behaviors, or do they have no control? I have never understood why people would do all the stupid things I mention in the paragraph above.

This is fun.

The world ain't all rainbows and sunshine fellas. A lot of churchgoing African Americans are not "down" with the gay cause.

It is what it is, and you have heard quotes from players in the past like the 49ers cb who said something along the line of. Oh hell no, no gay dudes up in hea or something similarly intolerant.

The it's not a big deal crowd is wrong. Not a big deal in your household maybe, but is gonna be to some locker rooms.

Not everyone is a super tolerant, bravo watching, npr listening hipster. It's a big world, ya can't speak for everyone.

I love how modern day tolerance equates to being a "hipster", a word used multiple times in this thread. "Super tolerant", you know, like not hating somebody for something they have no say over.

Why do people smoke cigarettes? They're bad for your health (we've known this for about 50+ years now), they make you stink. they force you to take your work breaks in inconvenient places, & the habit is expensive. Why do people do hard drugs? You could get arrested & go to jail, you could OD & die, and the habit is usually expensive. Why do some people drive their car and/or motorcycle at very high speeds on public highways? You could get arrested & go to jail. You could crash & die. Why do people drink alcohol in excessive amounts? You could get sick. With too much alcohol in a short period of time, you could actually die. The alcohol consumption could cause you to lose control of rational thoughts & actions, and you could do something illegal; you could become a danger to yourself or to others (DUI, accidents at work, etc.). Why do serial killers kill? Are they "born to do so?"

Why do people do ANY risky, dangerous, out of the norm, or looked-down-upon behavior? Are they making a choice to do those behaviors, or do they have no control? I have never understood why people would do all the stupid things I mention in the paragraph above.

This is fun.

So, I'm addicted to being a heterosexual. Thanks for the insight.

what is sam's sack projection?

Football Outsiders usually runs their "SackSEER" projection article right after the Combine, so we'll know then. K-9 is correct that it's based primarily on the 10-yard split and lateral quickness measurements. Hughes was at the top of their projection the year he entered the draft (I almost said the year he came out!). Based on everything I've read about Sam, he's not considered to be the elite athlete that Hughes is.

SHE said this less than a year ago: Bill de Blasio's wife opened up about falling in love with a man after years of identifying as a lesbian and their life as a “very conventional, unconventional couple” in a candid interview released Thursday. Chirlane McCray, 58, said her relationship with de Blasio was made possible “by putting aside the assumptions I had about the form and package my love would come in.” The interview, with Essence magazine, comes 34 years after McCray penned a groundbreaking 1979 essay for Essence entitled, “I Am a Lesbian,” about coming out as a gay black woman.

This is fun.

This is why I, too, harbor prejudices - against people who live in Jacksonville (which I assume was a choice of yours).

Michael Sam's problem isn't that he's gay, it's that he's a tweener. He would be undersized as a 4-3 DE and may or may not have the quickness to transition to OLB. He reminds me a lot of Antonio Coleman actually. His 40 time and agility drill scores could either make or break him.