Phillip Seymour Hoffman dead of drug overdose

The Poojer

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heroin is really making a comeback, supposedly. Seems crazy, as I don't know how people can get used to the needles (though I suppose you can snort it too).

Interesting read on thie topic is Michael Massing's "The Fix"-- shows how the Nixon administration basically figured out a way to wipe out heroin use-- through methadone treatment. Flies in the face of the theory that you need to address the causes of drug use, as improved treatment was the answer.

It's been on a comeback for awhile. My brother says a lot of kids back in the small town in WNY where I grew up are doing it. There have even been some overdoses. And I"m pretty sure they're snorting it.

We did some crazy **** when I was a kid in the 70's but heroin was never an option.

Edited by Chef Jim

It's been on a comeback for awhile. My brother says a lot of kids back in the small town in WNY where I grew up are doing it. There have even been some overdoses. And I"m pretty sure they're snorting it.

We did some crazy **** when I was a kid in the 70's but heroin was never an option.

Bahhhh bahhhhhh Moooo moooooo

Bahhhh bahhhhhh Moooo moooooo

A lot of cows are now into it.

The main thing that is going on is that people, young and old, are getting hooked on prescription painkillers, but when they can't get any more Rxs, they turn to the streets and heroin is much cheaper than the pills, and it's all about being an opiate.

A lot of cows are now into it.

The main thing that is going on is that people, young and old, are getting hooked on prescription painkillers, but when they can't get any more Rxs, they turn to the streets and heroin is much cheaper than the pills, and it's all about being an opiate.

My brother just had rotator cuff surgery and they gave him 10 days worth of painkillers which he really only needed for 3 or 4 days at the most and just to sleep. They gave him 60 pills. WTF?!?!?

After not long, heroin isn't a choice. That crap owns your soul. There is no escape or recovery. Only the strongest are able to control their past. I'm sure psh would have loved to a man be free.

It isn't something that people can wake up and decide not to do. It isn't like refusing a donut.

I had acl reconstruction and I had lortabs. I had to consciously stop. I really wanted my last ones and I was not really in much pain any longer. It was strange.

Edited by May Day 10

My brother just had rotator cuff surgery and they gave him 10 days worth of painkillers which he really only needed for 3 or 4 days at the most and just to sleep. They gave him 60 pills. WTF?!?!?

a few years back I broke my ankle and has surgery on it 3 days later. they prescribed me 30 vicodin after i broke it, and 100 percocet after the surgery. I think I took 6 pills total.

a few years back I broke my ankle and has surgery on it 3 days later. they prescribed me 30 vicodin after i broke it, and 100 percocet after the surgery. I think I took 6 pills total.

I had my wisdom teeth pulled many years ago. The guy I worked for said "whatever they prescribe as far as dosage....double it!" So I did. Went back to work after three days and couldn't figure out why I couldn't function. Oh yeah, I had taken 15 percocet the past three days. :wacko:

Great actor and, by all accounts, a great guy.

I am so happy that I never even thought about trying heroine. Based on the little I know about it, it is very easy to become addicted, and it controls your life very quickly.

I am sure that he had no desire to leave his kids and family like this. The whole thing is very tragic.

Sorry but you all know me so I have to say it.......dumbass.

I agree ... Maybe in part because I an not so convinced of his talent...

Edit: yes, i am taking liberties as a mod to post in a locked thread - after taking time to read through this thread I wish to offer a sincere apology to NG and others who in some way have been impacted by addiction. My statement above was reactionary and in retrospect was inappropriate.

Heroin is making a comeback because doctors hand it out in pill form like it's candy. They get people hooked on pain meds, and then the addicts realize they can get the same fix for $10 instead of spending $300 on a single pill.

The only solution is legalization and regulation. People have been doing opiates since before the Roman empire. If anyone thinks they can even dent the opiate trade they are a fool. That leaves harm reduction as the only viable tool.

You believe I'm as boozer as you believe he was clean for 23 years.

Actually Chef, your ignorance is in full force here. Abstaining from opiates for a long time and then relapsing is perhaps the largest cause of ODs. It's perfectly plausible that he was indeed clean for 23 years.

Going on almost 2 years now in April, my brother fell off his semi that he was loading (car carrier)... He broke one ankle and the other foot. After surgery and rehab, and then subsequent surgeries... He has been on a lot of pain killers, it is amazing he isn't hooked!

Heroin is making a comeback because doctors hand it out in pill form like it's candy. They get people hooked on pain meds, and then the addicts realize they can get the same fix for $10 instead of spending $300 on a single pill.

Come on - $300 a pill?!? If that was true, all you guys who are bragging about not taking all your pills should be selling them on the street right now!

Holy Crap!

He had 50 bags of heroin in his apartment.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/philip-seymour-hoffman-dead-50-bags-of-heroin-1201084430/

I read that article and on that page it has a link to his last interview at Sundance. He and the other actors from his latest movie "God's Pocket" talk about the emotional toll the movie had on them....to the point where they felt stressed out and emotionally spent. You have to wonder if this last movie put him over the edge.

Each time a celebrity suffers a fate similar to PSH, I wonder if somewhere in the outpouring of messages is one that actually "says" to addicts and others that such a fate is glamorous and thus to be copied.

Possible.

Since there is a fair amount of misconception about heroin addiction here, please allow me to clear some things up...as you may know I have up close and personal experience in this area and ironically, it's an area I conduct research in on a professional basis. IF you are interested, there are physical changes in the brain when one uses abuses drugs for a prolonged period of time...the types of changes that occur vary with the drug, but obviously, the more powerful the drug, the more profound the changes that occur. The scary thing is these changes last much longer than the length of use...some changes last for years. It changes the way you "think" and it's not just a matter of "will power" or "character"...long term drug abuse actually changes the DNA in your brain, it "rewires" the brain and changes the way it functions, even after you stop use. After an addict gets through the physical consequences of quitting, the brain remains rewired for who knows how long. Check out this link for very recent findings in this area, http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_142397.html

I get very frustrated with the "dumbass" type of responses,but I do understand where they come from...also, I'm quite sure that very few addicts find their fate "glamorous", do you think someone dying of cancer thinks it's glamorous? Addiction is a lonely and sad experience...there is very little pleasure in it once you are trapped.

Since there is a fair amount of misconception about heroin addiction here, please allow me to clear some things up...as you may know I have up close and personal experience in this area and ironically, it's an area I conduct research in on a professional basis. IF you are interested, there are physical changes in the brain when one uses abuses drugs for a prolonged period of time...the types of changes that occur vary with the drug, but obviously, the more powerful the drug, the more profound the changes that occur. The scary thing is these changes last much longer than the length of use...some changes last for years. It changes the way you "think" and it's not just a matter of "will power" or "character"...long term drug abuse actually changes the DNA in your brain, it "rewires" the brain and changes the way it functions, even after you stop use. After an addict gets through the physical consequences of quitting, the brain remains rewired for who knows how long. Check out this link for very recent findings in this area, http://www.nlm.nih.g...ory_142397.html

I get very frustrated with the "dumbass" type of responses,but I do understand where they come from...also, I'm quite sure that very few addicts find their fate "glamorous", do you think someone dying of cancer thinks it's glamorous? Addiction is a lonely and sad experience...there is very little pleasure in it once you are trapped.

Do you believe these same findings may apply to alcoholism?

Since there is a fair amount of misconception about heroin addiction here, please allow me to clear some things up...as you may know I have up close and personal experience in this area and ironically, it's an area I conduct research in on a professional basis. IF you are interested, there are physical changes in the brain when one uses abuses drugs for a prolonged period of time...the types of changes that occur vary with the drug, but obviously, the more powerful the drug, the more profound the changes that occur. The scary thing is these changes last much longer than the length of use...some changes last for years. It changes the way you "think" and it's not just a matter of "will power" or "character"...long term drug abuse actually changes the DNA in your brain, it "rewires" the brain and changes the way it functions, even after you stop use. After an addict gets through the physical consequences of quitting, the brain remains rewired for who knows how long. Check out this link for very recent findings in this area, http://www.nlm.nih.g...ory_142397.html

With the rewiring of the brain that you describe, it seems possible that any number of things could seem "glamorous" to an addict. When one seeks approval for one's actions, seeing the adoration of another addict just might seem transferrable to him/her.

Since there is a fair amount of misconception about heroin addiction here, please allow me to clear some things up...as you may know I have up close and personal experience in this area and ironically, it's an area I conduct research in on a professional basis. IF you are interested, there are physical changes in the brain when one uses abuses drugs for a prolonged period of time...the types of changes that occur vary with the drug, but obviously, the more powerful the drug, the more profound the changes that occur. The scary thing is these changes last much longer than the length of use...some changes last for years. It changes the way you "think" and it's not just a matter of "will power" or "character"...long term drug abuse actually changes the DNA in your brain, it "rewires" the brain and changes the way it functions, even after you stop use. After an addict gets through the physical consequences of quitting, the brain remains rewired for who knows how long. Check out this link for very recent findings in this area, http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_142397.html

Not sure any one of us intentionally posted a "dumbass" comment. We all have different professions and expertise. The fact that you have a background in evaluating and treating addiction (and opiates especially) gives you the ability to approach this issue from a different perspective. On the other hand I do not have that background so I can only go with what I have seen: Morrison, Farley, Candy, Belushi, River Phoenix, Elvis...the list goes on and if young people idolize these stars while alive, is there a possibility that the attention given to one might lead a young person to try and garner similar attention from friends and family?? Not sure.

With the rewiring of the brain that you describe, it seems possible that any number of things could seem "glamorous" to an addict. When one seeks approval for one's actions, seeing the adoration of another addict just might seem transferrable to him/her.

Believe me when I say this, most addicts do not want approval, they don't want to be addicts. They want to be "normal". The shame and depression this disease produces causes a vicious cycle. Some addicts may view overdose as a way out, but the vast majority of ODs are accidental. I have seen some statistics that suggest that for every fatal OD there are between 25 and 50 near misses....some times your luck runs out

Not sure any one of us intentionally posted a "dumbass" comment. We all have different professions and expertise. The fact that you have a background in evaluating and treating addiction (and opiates especially) gives you the ability to approach this issue from a different perspective. On the other hand I do not have that background so I can only go with what I have seen: Morrison, Farley, Candy, Belushi, River Phoenix, Elvis...the list goes on and if young people idolize these stars while alive, is there a possibility that the attention given to one might lead a young person to try and garner similar attention from friends and family?? Not sure.

I understand, but my expertise comes from experiences my own son who is currently back in treatment for heroin addiction...and ironically from my job which is trying to understand the brain changes that occur with addictions and trying to come up with an effective novel compound to reverse or block these changes. The complicating factor is there is often co-occurring conditions in addiction, anxiety disorders, depression, etc...compound these conditions with the anxiety and depression that addiction does produce and you have a recipe for disaster. I am 100% certain that all addicts wish they never started...but that is just my opinion.

How do you think exposure to alcohol, Heroin, etc in the womb may predispose infants to a latter life of addiction to these substances?

Possibly, since they are "addicts" when they are born, besides the obvious fetal alcohol syndrome which is a totally different thing, if these substances change the workings of DNA (as it seems it does), they are most likely born with "bad wiring". In animals, exposure to drug in utero increases "drug seeking" in adulthood, and increases the rewarding properties of the drug...it REALLY feels good. There are a ton of factors, so I doubt it's a "certainty"...but it may indeed set things up.

Thank-you for shedding some light on the ignorance.

Thank-you for shedding some light on the ignorance.

Perhaps ignorance is too charged a term...I get it, If you haven't been touched by it (be thankful to God) you just have a different POV. I don't mean to "get on a soapbox", but I have been "doubly blessed" by personal experience and vocation. I am not looking of anyone to feel pity for addicts or anything like that...I just want to dispel some common misconceptions and give some scientific facts on what can be a nightmare for all those concerned.

Perhaps ignorance is too charged a term...I get it, If you haven't been touched by it (be thankful to God) you just have a different POV. I don't mean to "get on a soapbox", but I have been "doubly blessed" by personal experience and vocation. I am not looking of anyone to feel pity for addicts or anything like that...I just want to dispel some common misconceptions and give some scientific facts on what can be a nightmare for all those concerned.

Choose to disregard this question if too personal, but with respect to your son, is it possible to get him admitted for 6mths or a year to see if his brain will re-wire correctly? Like you said, the physical withdrawal will resolve itself after weeks or months, but the brain wiring takes longer. Just don't know how long it takes. Or is that something health insurance does not cover?

Good work. I have seen many Alaska natives destroyed by alcoholism and I can feel for them. They where born drunk, into a drunken family. What chance did they have?

Ignorance is a benign term. Lack of knowledge can be remedied and again, I appreciate your input as a way of doing that. Keep up the good fight.

I would only add that while pity isn't desirable, it's better than some of the outright ridicule I've read concerning this sad event. I simply don't understand that.

I can say his "latest" stint in rehab was great...90 days...clean as a whistle, came back buff as can be, motivated, clear headed and self directed. It didn't last that long until he was back at it and then he beat himself up for doing it, which caused more use, vicious circle...He back now and is on "scholarship", Most insurance covers 28 days...NOT EVEN A MONTH!! You are then deemed cured...that's why most addicts have multiple rehab visits. We are going to push for 6 months. We will see what happens. I am hopeful as always, but realistic...the thing is he's young so there's hope.

I can say his "latest" stint in rehab was great...90 days...clean as a whistle, came back buff as can be, motivated, clear headed and self directed. It didn't last that long until he was back at it and then he beat himself up for doing it, which caused more use, vicious circle...He back now and is on "scholarship", Most insurance covers 28 days...NOT EVEN A MONTH!! You are then deemed cured...that's why most addicts have multiple rehab visits. We are going to push for 6 months. We will see what happens. I am hopeful as always, but realistic...the thing is he's young so there's hope.

Prayers for you and your family.

Fortunately for me, I'm on the outside looking in at this topic. I do appreciate the candor and sharing of information occurring in this thread. I'm especially interested in the comments about the universal desire of addicts to be freed from their addictions, and the impact of rehabilitation efforts.

Ignorance is a benign term. Lack of knowledge can be remedied and again, I appreciate your input as a way of doing that. Keep up the good fight.

I would only add that while pity isn't desirable, it's better than some of the outright ridicule I've read concerning this sad event. I simply don't understand that.

Thanks. Sometimes I just can't sit idly by and let stuff slide. This is truly an epidemic and although it might start out as simple experimentation, it quickly becomes a trap and often leading to a lifetime of misery for the addict and their loved ones.

Prayers for you and your family.

Thanks, that helps...seriously. I used to have a ton of shame and embarrassment about this "situation"...but that doesn't do anything. Without sounding "cheesy" prayer is what is helping my son right now, we were never really a religious family, but he has turned to faith now as a support...hey, you have to have hope and grab onto to whatever works. right?