Phillip Seymour Hoffman dead of drug overdose

The Poojer

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry but you all know me so I have to say it.......dumbass.

agreed brother..sucks to be addicted, but having quit a few myself sympathy is fairly low here.

Having said that, he did a wonderful job portraying a gambling addiction in Owning Mahowney...great little movie about a gambling jag that just can not be satiated.

agreed brother..sucks to be addicted, but having quit a few myself sympathy is fairly low here.

Having said that, he did a wonderful job portraying a gambling addiction in Owning Mahowney...great little movie about a gambling jag that just can not be satiated.

Well it's easy for me to say what I said because as most of you know I don't watch movies. Since the news came out I've seen his picture and what he's done and I'm actually intrigued to see Capote. In Cold Blood is one of my favorite books. I read that the movie covered Capote's life during the time he wrote it. If I love the book would the movie be worth seeing? And yes, I'm asking for advice so !@#$ y'all. :D

Edited by Chef Jim

Sorry but you all know me so I have to say it.......dumbass.

He was clean for 23 years..............Meanwhile, you drink your face off and think that you're better than him..........None of us are.

Sad? No, irrelevant. He partied himself to death. Let's be sad for those that deserve it.

http://icasualties.o...Fatalities.aspx

Yeah, the greatest actor of his generation is irrelevant.............WTF

He was clean for 23 years..............Meanwhile, you drink your face off and think that you're better than him..........None of us are.

I don't think... wait, I know... I'm not any better than him. But if I died from drinking too much, it certainly wouldn't be front page news. In fact, people would say "what a stupid drunk." But since he was good at make-believe, people will profess how sad they are.

Google any of the names killed in Afghanistan in link, and the only news stories you'll find will be from their local hometown paper. THOSE men and women are indeed better than me.

Well it's easy for me to say what I said because as most of you know I don't watch movies. Since the news came out I've seen his picture and what he's done and I'm actually intrigued to see Capote. In Cold Blood is one of my favorite books. I read that the movie covered Capote's life during the time he wrote it. If I love the book would the movie be worth seeing? And yes, I'm asking for advice so !@#$ y'all. :D

Didn't see it...so no help there.

Owning mahowney is a true story bout a Canadian banker and his gambling addiction and embezzament of millions of dollars in late 70's, early 80s ....really good movie

I don't think... wait, I know... I'm not any better than him. But if I died from drinking too much, it certainly wouldn't be front page news. In fact, people would say "what a stupid drunk." But since he was good at make-believe, people will profess how sad they are.

Google any of the names killed in Afghanistan in link, and the only news stories you'll find will be from their local hometown paper. THOSE men and women are indeed better than me.

So we focus on the wrong things and the wrong people. That's kind of an obvious and ironic point on a football message board. And I don't think this is the time or place for the debate, in a RIP thread.

Rest in peace! He was a great actor, and seemed like a good guy. What a tragedy to die so young. Already performing at such a high level, we all just had decades of solid performances taken away from us.

I definitely identified with him, coming from a Rochester suburb, and being almost the same age as me.

Why must it be a comparison?

PSH was far from a dumbass, nor has anything to do with the enlisted.

Obviously he was troubled. No reason to kick dirt on him.

Almost Famous was amazing....Lester bangs role for him was awesome

Lester Bangs: That's because we're uncool. And while women will always be a problem for us, most of the great art in the world is about that very same problem. Good-looking people don't have any spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter.

i have to wonder what the hunger games franchise is going to do. Looked like he was set to have a huge role in the last two installments.

One article I saw said they were in the middle of shooting for them, but they did not know how much he had already done.

He was outstanding in Capote. Seeing the movie inspired me to read In Cold Blood.

Capote is well worth seeing, for his acting (the rest of the cast wasn't shabby either) and the writing.

PSH went to my HS's rival and he was a year behind me. My best friend's older brother was PSH's English teacher and drama coach at Fairport and was still in touch with him. In fact, he came to NY to see him on Broadway last year and hung with him backstage after the show. Needless to say, my buddy's brother is devastated. (I found out about PSH's death via his old teacher's FB page.)

From everything I'd seen and read he was a good guy. I remember seeing him do a local Rochester news interview by satellite the Thanksgiving Truman was out. He was a big star by then and didn't need to do the interview, but was humble and gracious throughout and really seemed to be getting a kick out of doing the local news he watched as a kid.

I also saw recently that he'd had a relapse while filming a movie. The producers claimed he was now clean and sober and ready to continue filming since they'd given him a whole 7 to 10 days in rehab. I remember being worried for him at the time and thinking the producers were greedy SOB's who cared not one whit for him, so long as their movie got done on time and under budget. Wherever they are, I hope they feel suitably ashamed of themselves.....

I do??

PSH was far from a dumbass, nor has anything to do with the enlisted.

Obviously he was troubled. No reason to kick dirt on him.

Almost Famous was amazing....Lester bangs role for him was awesome

Lester Bangs: That's because we're uncool. And while women will always be a problem for us, most of the great art in the world is about that very same problem. Good-looking people don't have any spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter.

I'm sorry man you die with a needle in your arm you are the epitome of dumbass.

I saw In Cold Blood in the theatre when it first came out. Great, riveting movie. Didn't follow much of Capote's life, but he was a pisser. Never read the book, but it was a seminal psychological tome that made his career.

Sorry for PSH's early demise. He was a decent actor. Too bad he slipped and denied us more of his work, and himself and loved ones - his life.

I think that engaging in reckless behavior with deadly substances, while possibly in a state of emotional stress, falls within the definition of suicide.

Do you think riding a motorcycle is suicide? Smoking cigarettes?

Owning mahowney is a true story bout a Canadian banker and his gambling addiction and embezzament of millions of dollars in late 70's, early 80s ....really good movie

That plain ordinary movie was fantastic simply because of his acting. The cold facial expressions as he did the only thing he that gave him satisfaction, gambling, was chilling.

RIP.

Edited by meazza

That plain ordinary movie was fantastic simply because of his acting. The cold facial expressions as he did the only thing he that gave him satisfaction, gambling, was chilling.

RIP.

Very sad to hear of his passing.

Owning Mahoney was my favorite movie of his and not just because he played a Canadian.

Capote was amazing as well

I'm sorry man you die with a needle in your arm you are the epitome of dumbass.

Seriously? I hope you never have a loved one that has an addiction to heroin...what happened to him is something I have always feared for my son. I could go on and on but that statement is ignorant and insensitive on so many levels. Wow....just wow.