Phillip Seymour Hoffman dead of drug overdose

The Poojer

Thanks. Sometimes I just can't sit idly by and let stuff slide. This is truly an epidemic and although it might start out as simple experimentation, it quickly becomes a trap and often leading to a lifetime of misery for the addict and their loved ones.

Thanks, that helps...seriously. I used to have a ton of shame and embarrassment about this "situation"...but that doesn't do anything. Without sounding "cheesy" prayer is what is helping my son right now, we were never really a religious family, but he has turned to faith now as a support...hey, you have to have hope and grab onto to whatever works. right?

Hoping for the best for the family. This hits close.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, that helps...seriously. I used to have a ton of shame and embarrassment about this "situation"...but that doesn't do anything. Without sounding "cheesy" prayer is what is helping my son right now, we were never really a religious family, but he has turned to faith now as a support...hey, you have to have hope and grab onto to whatever works. right?

It does work...and I can attest to it over Thanksgiving. Consider it done.

Fortunately for me, I'm on the outside looking in at this topic. I do appreciate the candor and sharing of information occurring in this thread. I'm especially interested in the comments about the universal desire of addicts to be freed from their addictions, and the impact of rehabilitation efforts.

Here is something that may provide further insight.

http://www.everystudent.com/wires/addiction.html

It does work...and I can attest to it over Thanksgiving. Consider it done.

Outstanding...check out that link I provided above, I sent the article to my son...

Hoping for the best for the family. This hits close.

Thanks GG...seems like this thread has become my personal therapy thread, which was not my intention.

I know 2 people who OD'd the past 6 months. One was an old friend, who I didnt recently interact with, but one was a guy who I hung out with many weekends. When I met him, he was "recovered" and seemed to be doing well. Fit, good outlook, etc. Then you could see him fading in many ways, and eventually he would become pretty scarce. Got indebted to a few people, when he did show, he was a mess, falling asleep, etc... it was rough. Nothing we could do. Then he passed away suddenly. It was hush, hush (as was the other case), but everyone knew, and nobody was surprised. It was sad because we know this individual did not want to fall back. It was uncontrollable. Like a suicide too, we were left wondering why, and what we could have done...

I lost a friend to a tragic accident a few years back. That was much, much worse (we were closer as well).

Each time a celebrity suffers a fate similar to PSH, I wonder if somewhere in the outpouring of messages is one that actually "says" to addicts and others that such a fate is glamorous and thus to be copied.

I think there are people who will start using or relapse because of this. I agree with Nervous Guy that no active addict is considering it glamorous.

Agree Ng my girlfriends cousin has a littl meth thing going on and her whole family is trying to help and she's stonewalling them acting like she needs no help.

Was a normal wife w 2 kids a year ago.....now is out doing who knows what looking all cracked out.

Sad stuff.

Nervous Guy is exactly right on everything he is saying about those addicted. And, with PSH, he was first addicted very young, while hanging out in that artsy NYC scene in the 80s/90s. I can see how he first started and how he relapsed, etc.

What I always wonder is how does somebody like this START an addiction. How does a normal wife with two kids decide to take up meth?

I know somebody who was exactly the same - he was married to the best wife you could ask for with two kids, and started smoking crack. Predictably, his life is in shambles. I was telling his wife that he had no choice when he was doing the crazy things like selling the TV to get more crack, etc.. But, she asked but why would he start...........And, I had no answer for that.

Thanks GG...seems like this thread has become my personal therapy thread, which was not my intention.

Yes, but...having talked to you about this, I think you could use it, intention or no. You're deeply private about it - as is your absolute right, of course, and entirely reasonable - but know that if you choose not to be, lots of us are here for you. And speaking from personal experience (as a bipolar), the first step of successful treatment is to stop being embarrassed about it and accepting that you're an addict (or bipolar), with which open discussion helps.

You and Nervous Boy should both know that he has a lot of people here pulling for him Like it or not, you're both part of our extended dysfunctional family here. Let him know that. Not the least because it demonstrates that there's far worse things than being an addict.

you could be me :bag:

Yes, but...having talked to you about this, I think you could use it, intention or no. You're deeply private about it - as is your absolute right, of course, and entirely reasonable - but know that if you choose not to be, lots of us are here for you. And speaking from personal experience (as a bipolar), the first step of successful treatment is to stop being embarrassed about it and accepting that you're an addict (or bipolar), with which open discussion helps.

You and Nervous Boy should both know that he has a lot of people here pulling for him Like it or not, you're both part of our extended dysfunctional family here. Let him know that. Not the least because it demonstrates that there's far worse things than being an addict.

I guess the thread got locked because of some knuckleheads.

.Anyway, I just wanted to thank everyone for the support and the opportunity to vent. Some of you expressed some interest in the impact addiction has...here is a link to a relatively new organization that was founded by someone here in CT whose son committed suicide after a long battle with addiction and their quest to improve treatment and end the stigma of "being an addict"...it also shares perspectives from parents and loved ones...if you know anyone who is affected by addiction don't ever give up....they need you.

http://www.shatterproof.org/pages/our-story