Pepper Johnson to Bills Staff as D-Line coach

BRAWNDO

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The day he left New England I tweeted Thurman Thomas, "What about Pepper Johnson as a replacement for Mike Pettine?"

Thurman replied, "What happened to Pep? He would be a great addition to this coaching staff, in any capacity."

I wanted him as DC, but this is even better, in my opinion. I believe our defensive coaching staff is much stronger than it was (especially if Weaver stays), and I love that we actually have a real staff on that side of the ball. Guys who are known and have a pretty damn good track record. And if Schwartz warrants another HC gig, we now have a viable replacement on staff in Pepper. (Which might be why he agreed to come on board, knowing he might have a shot at a defensive coordinator position next year.)

I am very happy with this...it shows they are not hoping/waiting to be good, they are being proactive and making moves to get better.

KUDOS to the Bills front office...finally making some moves that make 100% sense.

(On a side note, Pepper has been with Belicheat for 26 years...NOBODY would know his playbook and tendencies better than Pepper.)

So is Brandon Spikes on the way too?

I actually think this is a very good possibility...he and Pepper are very close, and he is exactly what Buffalo needs at MLB with Kiko.

(Not to mention, if he came here, people could pull out their #51 "Spikes" jerseys...because Hughes is #55, so Spikes would go back to #51.)

Edited by Bob Malooga

I could care less about sacks and interceptions. I'd be willing to bet just about ANYTHING this team will be better against the run, better in points against and better in wins than under Pettine. Part of it is the uptrend in talent. But I also think the Bills brought in a great defensive staff.

I live in the New England area, about a 30 minute drive from Foxboro. I've always been very impressed with Pepper both as a coach, and as a person. (I have several connections to the Patriot's staff, and have heard nothing but great things about him and that way he approaches the game.) Pepper was passed over for the DC position in NE by Matty Patricia, and it was a very narrow decision.

I said "wow!", because I hadn't heard anything at all about his talks with our organization, and was stunned, in a good way, by this move. The level of accountability he will bring to the position group he coaches will surprise you.

cool, hopefully he can get Marcy to show up on time.

I'll believe this when I see it on the field. I hope it is true but by gut tells me that this is wishful thinking/sour grapes by fans.

There's not much of a debate. Obviously he has to prove it but the consensus is Schwartz >= Pettine.

You can keep your sour grapes to yourself.

Edited by Why So Serious?

I could care less about sacks and interceptions. I'd be willing to bet just about ANYTHING this team will be better against the run, better in points against and better in wins than under Pettine. Part of it is the uptrend in talent. But I also think the Bills brought in a great defensive staff.

Well, interceptions are good but sacks are overrated. Nice to see quality experienced and arguably successful coaches coming here.

I wanted him as DC, but this is even better, in my opinion. I believe our defensive coaching staff is much stronger than it was (especially if Weaver stays), and I love that we actually have a real staff on that side of the ball. Guys who are known and have a pretty damn good track record. And if Schwartz warrants another HC gig, we now have a viable replacement on staff in Pepper. (Which might be why he agreed to come on board, knowing he might have a shot at a defensive coordinator position next year.)

Don't get ahead of yourself. Schwartz' professional "rehab" is going to take time. He won't be going anywhere (for a HC gig) for a couple years minimum.

I love how bandit27 was claiming in the shoutbox a week or two ago that his "sources" said that he was going to the texans and I quote something along the lines it's a done deal, it's just not official yet.

BTW, surprising and an excellent hire by the Bills front office. I'm impressed with this one.

First off, thanks for the shout out...always nice to know others are thinking of you.

Second, I said I heard from John McClain of the Houston Chronicle, not some "source".

Just search his twitter feed if you're that interested.

EDIT:

Or just read this, which is the same link I posted in the Shoutbox last week...

http://m.nbcsports.com/content/belichick-respects-pepper-johnson-who-could-join-texans

Edited by thebandit27