Pepper Johnson to Bills Staff as D-Line coach

BRAWNDO

For what it's worth, the person talking about "sources" was Rob's House. He was joking around all day with it...someone would post a story or tweet in a thread and Rob would relay it joking that "his sources" told him yada yada etc.

Everyone pretty much knew he was just having fun...

Yeah, I've been talking about my "sources" for a while now. You are correct, it was a joke and not intended to be a shot at anyone. Just between us, I don't actually have inside sources, but don't tell the others, I have a reputation to uphold. I, and I'll venture most of the board as well, tend to appreciate those who do have connections that take the time to share what they hear. I think it's a bit silly for someone to call you out for passing on a rumor that you heard. Just because the team ultimately went in a different direction doesn't mean it wasn't an option they contemplated.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not so sure. From what I recall and granted wasn't following Tenn all that close, but I think Schwarz was more in demand for a HC position than Pettine was now so could make the argument that his resume was more impressive at the time. The only reason Pettine got the HC job was cause Cleveland is a 3 ring circus. Schwatz has taken a hit in recent years for his HC job in Detroit, but as many said he may be a better DC than HC. While his HC job didn't go all that well, he stil ldoes have experience even at what NOT to do, so I think having a DC with HC experience is a good thing as will be better at seeing the big picture than Pettine would have given us this coming season if he were still here. Marrone may use him for a sounding board about ideas he has, even Hackert could benefit from his HC experience.

Overall I think Schwarz experience over the years as a DC was just as impressive as Pettines was. Add his years as a HC even though may have been bad, no way is he a step down. We could do worse next year, but may be more due ot injuries and other things, but I think coaching wise are in good shape.

My only point is Schwartz is not greater than or equal to Pettin.

The Bills defense is ultra talented. The pass rush is feared and people who keep blathering on about not stopping the run don't realize that when the defense did try to stop the run this past year, they did. The big issue was getting gashed for big gains when they were not expecting it. That's coaching, not talent. Pepper recognizes that this team is loaded and wants to be a part of it.

how many DL coaches have 3 Pro Bowlers to work with........just 1.

Anyone heard of the saying ..." A prophet is not honored in his own country"... I think PJ wants to branch out on his own, away from Belichek and all his cronies, to prove his worth!... If he proves he's worthy, and it parlays him into a promotion, then that means the Bills will be successful!... The more experience the Bills get on board this staff, the better. I like what the FO is doing...cudos to Whaley!

Exactly, deja vue!

AKA he is a perfect fit for the responsibilities of the MLB in Schwartz's schemes from his past. He wants his MLB to be a run stopper who barely EVER drops into coverage. His primary responsibility is to plug the A gaps (Center/Guard).

The only time the Middle LB dropped into coverage in Schwartz scheme is when the other team throws the ball

I LOVE THIS HIRE.

Pepper Johnson is not that dude to F**K with.

The Bills kinda of know what they doing. Refreshing to see.

Lets see if Dareus is late to meetings this year.

Could be the beginning of reversing the curse.

Many - myself included hoped The Bills wouldn't return to the playoffs until they go all the way and win the big one.

0-4 in SuperBowls was brutal.

Dude my thoughts exactly. If you gonna make the playoffs be good enough to win it ALL

Could be the beginning of reversing the curse.

Many - myself included hoped The Bills wouldn't return to the playoffs until they go all the way and win the big one.

0-4 in SuperBowls was brutal.

This is probably the stewpiderest thing I've heard anyone hope for.

Indeed

If anyone had any doubt about the team's desire to win, the hirings if Schwartz, Pagac, Johnson, and Hostler should put that to rest.

Very impressive, and what's even more encouraging is that these high profile guys want to be here.

Thats no lie brother.

The stars are about to align for our beloved Buffalo Bills.

and We raid college ranks for offense but re-treads for the defense!

Thank gosh someone put a pin to that balloon of happiness