EJ knee surgery, Tim Graham questions, draft QB?

Was EJ rushed to play before he was ready? Perhaps. Was EJ completely ready to play against New England week 1? Perhaps. The major cause for concern is that EJ had 2 surgeries to the same left knee within the course of the season.

Tim Graham's article simply states that given EJ's injury history it would be short-sighted for the Bills not to draft a QB whom they feel can perform.

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After cutting Kolb or Kolb retiring -- the Bills will likely have the least amount of cap dollars invested in the QB position in the league.

Did EJ show you enough last year to not bring in competition and invest more resources in the most important position on the field? If you say yes -- ignore this post because its just going to piss you off....

If I were Whaley I would address three or four need positions in FA -- Byrd, RG, LB, TE and give yourself some options so that if a QB you like is there at #1 the Bills can take him. Prove to all of us this is a new era...this would be tangible proof. At 9 -- you get a player for less than $4 Million a year for a five year deal (Bonus included) -- peanuts for a QB. All four of our QB salaries wouldn't add up to a mid tier starter.

This FO has proven it can unearth talent -- rely on that a bit and solidify the most important position for the long term.

What's this all mean- to me? It means lay off TIm Graham. He asked a legit question in a legit way -- EJ needs to mature. You aren't a God in Tallahassee any more--you get paid to play.

Edited by JoeF

If in fact it happened the way Graham says, it sounds like an immature spoiled little punk answer. IMO we should be looking at another QB after the mess from last year. The FO should be constantly looking to upgrade this team at all costs no matter what position.

Seriously? Because he got caught off-guard a little bit by a reporter engaging him in conversation about something he has zero control over? While he is the sitting starting QB on the team? I mean...I'm not saying the Bills should not Draft a QB, and I'm not saying EJ is the answer...But EJ is, if nothing else, a classy kid...A good kid...I think he's the exact opposite of a spoiled little punk...He was just surprised, and probably more than just a little irritated about Graham trying to get him riled up...That's all... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

i have no issue with how Tim explained how the first part went. it's not his fault that EJ was pulled away before Tim could explain himself and bring the discussion to its logical conclusion. if EJ took offense to it without allowing time for an explanation then that's not entirely on Tim.

as Tim tried to begin explaining, he said, "I do," and then attempted to begin explaining himself by saying he does because quarterback is the most important position on the team, and one that's been unfilled.

remember, EJ asked: "do you think they should?" should is an interesting word in this case, and open to almost begging for an answer. that EJ didn't stick around waiting for an answer continues a trend for him. he doesn't take kindly or have patience for those raising questions about his performance or status in Buffalo.

at the very least, he needs to realize that he has a long way to go before proving he is a bona fide long-term starter.

he needs to realize that based on his inconsistencies, injuries and the questionable numbers he put up that this question will continue to be raised until: 1) he proves different (Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees and Peyton Manning don't have to face this line of questioning because they're proven themselves) or 2) the Bills proceed to draft another quarterback.

now sure why the media is being faulted here for asking questions and providing responses that have been raised and discussed on this board for quite some time.

jw

Sorry JW. Always respect your opinion; however, Graham responded, "I do" with no attempt to put it into any context consistent with the interview at the moment he said it. It is not as if EJ cut him off in mid sentence. That was his complete response. EJ said "Thank you" and then walked away. You pointed out the interesting use of the word "should" by EJ. You should find it equally interesting that, in spite of a number of ways Graham, who was doing what he does for a living, could have responded in a way that immediately put it into a journalistic context, he chose a response that appeared to be nothing more than a personal statement. I have nothing wrong with Graham writing anything he wants about what he believes in regard to EJ. But the way he chose to respond at that moment to EJ was, in my opinion, wrong.

Edited by billsfan1959

If in fact it happened the way Graham says, it sounds like an immature spoiled little punk answer. IMO we should be looking at another QB after the mess from last year. The FO should be constantly looking to upgrade this team at all costs no matter what position.

Immature??? Are we taking about EJ or Tim Graham responding to a negative tweet?

PTR

Sorry JW. Always respect your opinion; however, Graham responded, "I do" with no attempt to put it into any context consistent with the interview at the moment he said it. It is not as if EJ cut him off in mid sentence. That was his complete response. EJ said "Thank you" and then walked away. You pointed out the interesting use of the word "should" by EJ. You should find it equally interesting that, in spite of a number of ways Graham, who was doing what he does for a living, could have responded that immediately put it into a journalistic context, he chose a response that appeared to be nothing more than a personal statement. I have nothing wrong with Graham writing anything he wants about what he believes in regard to EJ. But the way he chose to respond at that moment to EJ was, in my opinion, wrong.

dunno. maybe EJ needs a reminder that this job is not his for life, and he's got plenty still to prove.

jw

i have no issue with how Tim explained how the first part went. it's not his fault that EJ was pulled away before Tim could explain himself and bring the discussion to its logical conclusion. if EJ took offense to it without allowing time for an explanation then that's not entirely on Tim.

as Tim tried to begin explaining, he said, "I do," and then attempted to begin explaining himself by saying he does because quarterback is the most important position on the team, and one that's been unfilled.

remember, EJ asked: "do you think they should?" should is an interesting word in this case, and open to almost begging for an answer. that EJ didn't stick around waiting for an answer continues a trend for him. he doesn't take kindly or have patience for those raising questions about his performance or status in Buffalo.

at the very least, he needs to realize that he has a long way to go before proving he is a bona fide long-term starter.

he needs to realize that based on his inconsistencies, injuries and the questionable numbers he put up that this question will continue to be raised until: 1) he proves different (Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees and Peyton Manning don't have to face this line of questioning because they're proven themselves) or 2) the Bills proceed to draft another quarterback.

now sure why the media is being faulted here for asking questions and providing responses that have been raised and discussed on this board for quite some time.

jw

Tim was within the boundaries until he answer EJ's question. At that point he is no longer impartial which I assumed was important to reporting. It doesn't matter if EJ posited the question. Tim could have answered it many ways other than "I do!" explanation pending or not.

Tim Graham is not a doctor, a coach, a scout or a team official. He is a reporter. And frankly Tim loses some benefit of the doubt based on his behavior on Twitter.

Tim was within the boundaries until he answer EJ's question. At that point he is no longer impartial which I assumed was important to reporting. It doesn't matter if EJ posited the question. Tim could have answered it many ways other than "I do!" explanation pending or not.

Tim Graham is not a doctor, a coach, a scout or a team official. He is a reporter. And frankly Tim loses some benefit of the doubt based on his behavior on Twitter.

dunno. i prefer interviews that are more discussions than Q and A's. and Tim, by definition of his role as the News' blogger and columnist (which has become his Super Bowl coverage role) is provided a little more leeway. ... i might have raised my eyebrow and said, 'hmmm.'

but if EJ takes exception to that comment given the questions already raised about his status, well ... shrug.

jw

dunno. i prefer interviews that are more discussions than Q and A's. and Tim, by definition of his role as the News' blogger and columnist (which has become his Super Bowl coverage role) is provided a little more leeway. ... i might have raised my eyebrow and said, 'hmmm.'

but if EJ takes exception to that comment given the questions already raised about his status, well ... shrug.

jw

Just curious, if EJ had responded the same way to you would you have bluntly came out with "I do" or would you have formulated an answer first instead of blurting out the first thing you thought?

dunno. maybe EJ needs a reminder that this job is not his for life, and he's got plenty still to prove.

jw

I am not sure where this comes from John, and a little surprising. People can debate all day long about EJ's performance on the field and whether or not he is the answer. However, off the field, he has consistently presented himself with class, diginity, and maturity. He has conducted himself remarkably well in the media for a 23 year old kid who "we" as fans decided to annoint as the savior of a downtrodden franchise. I certainly do not recall him ever acting in any way that should lead anyone to believe he feels this job is his for life, or that he has nothing left to prove. Quite the opposite actually.

I am not sure where this comes from John, and a little surprising. People can debate all day long about EJ's performance on the field and whether or not he is the answer. However, off the field, he has consistently presented himself with class, diginity, and maturity. He has conducted himself remarkably well in the media for a 23 year old kid who "we" as fans decided to annoint as the savior of a downtrodden franchise. I certainly do not recall him ever acting in any way that should lead anyone to believe he feels this job is his for life, or that he has nothing left to prove. Quite the opposite actually.

id agree but concede that i spend far less time around him than the person making the comment, so it may give me pause.

jw

Graham basically called him a bust to his face by flatly stating "I do" on whether he thinks the Bills should draft a QB in the first round of this draft.

To me, having that opinion is pretty silly on a number of accounts. First off, the Bills at the #9 pick are in no position to draft any of the big three of this draft (Bridgwater, Manziel or Bortles). Secondly, EJ Manuel had a very typical rookie QB season where he showed good, bad and ugly. He had the very season everyone was predicting he would, but for some strange reason since he didn't have a "magical" rookie season like RGIII or Wilson then he's now considered a bust after one year by a reporter from the Buffalo News? Does Tim Graham know what Eli Manning looked like his rookie season?...LOL

If I were Graham's editor I'd be embarrassed at his retort to Manuel since no sensible football fan would declare EJ Manuel a bust after only one season and any team picking a QB in the 1st round two years in a row is a loser franchise that doesn't know what they are doing.

Graham and The Buffalo News look like losers in all this. EJ stayed classy and did nothing wrong IMO.