EJ knee surgery, Tim Graham questions, draft QB?

there is nothing i can say or write here to convince many here anything different.EJ injected the media into the story by asking a question. that he didn't like the answer is not the media's fault. it's the answer that some here might have raised -- or wish they could have. and that's the trick of our jobs, being confrontational.

when Alex Mogilny first got to Vancouver, i had a sitdown with him in a restaurant at training camp in whislter. we had a bland discussion that lasted 20 minutes until i ran out of questions.

it was at that point, Alex looked up and asked me: "Is that all you want to hear, bull(crap)?"

surprised by his bluntness, i said: "no, that's the last thing i need because i'm wasting my time and your time."

and then the real interview began and Alex and I got along for the rest of his career because i understood the best way to deal with him was asking blunt questions, some so blunt even other members of the media chided me on. and yet, Alex had no difficulty answering them with a wide smile.

i wish many athletes were more like Alex. many aren't. that doesn't preclude us from at times being blunt, especially when EJ has shown a sensitivity by sidestepping questions hinting at doubt. if he can't handle us non-athletic types, what's that say about oncoming defensive ends and linebackers who make far more money than I or Tim at being confrontational?

jw

Wait, what are you saying, that not all athletes and interviews are the same? And different players want and need to be treated differently? There you journalists go again, trying to stir up the pot.

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

there is nothing i can say or write here to convince many here anything different.EJ injected the media into the story by asking a question. that he didn't like the answer is not the media's fault. it's the answer that some here might have raised -- or wish they could have. and that's the trick of our jobs, being confrontational.

when Alex Mogilny first got to Vancouver, i had a sitdown with him in a restaurant at training camp in whislter. we had a bland discussion that lasted 20 minutes until i ran out of questions.

it was at that point, Alex looked up and asked me: "Is that all you want to hear, bull(crap)?"

surprised by his bluntness, i said: "no, that's the last thing i need because i'm wasting my time and your time."

and then the real interview began and Alex and I got along for the rest of his career because i understood the best way to deal with him was asking blunt questions, some so blunt even other members of the media chided me on. and yet, Alex had no difficulty answering them with a wide smile.

i wish many athletes were more like Alex. many aren't. that doesn't preclude us from at times being blunt, especially when EJ has shown a sensitivity by sidestepping questions hinting at doubt. if he can't handle us non-athletic types, what's that say about oncoming defensive ends and linebackers who make far more money than I or Tim at being confrontational?

jw

I notice the question you asked wasn't in 1989 and wasn't along the lines of, "Lots of Sabre fans still remember the Summit Series and don't really care for Russians. Do you think you should go back to the Soviet Union?"

Every question has a time and place. Tim was being a troll and he knows it.

And due to the way he chose to be "confrontational" he'll never get anything from Manuel again. So clearly it was well done and worth it. He didn't get any actual information, he burned somebody and he cut off a source of information in the future from a guy who might be around 10 years. Solid move.

Edited by DJasper Probincrux III

Wait, what are you saying, that not all athletes and interviews are the same? And different players want and need to be treated differently? There you journalists go again, trying to stir up the pot.

trouble is, we don't usually differentiate, especially when it comes to rookies.

we've been here longer than they have, and when it comes to QBs in Buffalo, we'll more than likely be here longer than they will. or at least that's been the trend.

jw

Every question has a time and place. Tim was being a troll and he knows it.

how would you know?

at this point, i'm just going to start being dismissive because i know Tim, i cover EJ and i don't know you. ...

Edited by john wawrow

trouble is, we don't usually differentiate, especially when it comes to rookies.

we've been here longer than they have, and when it comes to QBs in Buffalo, we'll more than likely be here longer than they will. or at least that's been the trend.

jw

I actually expected more out of EJ, regardless of what TG said. It makes me believe that a lot of his composure as face of the franchise is more of a put on and calculated instead of genuine. Of course, no one is who they come across as in the media, but he really should have laughed it off, IMO.

I actually expected more out of EJ, regardless of what TG said. It makes me believe that a lot of his composure as face of the franchise is more of a put on and calculated instead of genuine. Of course, no one is who they come across as in the media, but he really should have laughed it off, IMO.

some would accuse you of being a troll for even suggesting such sacrilege.

jw

i wouldn't be one, but some might ... ;)

Edited by john wawrow

jw

how would you know?

at this point, i'm just going to start being dismissive because i know Tim, i cover EJ and i don't know you. ...

I had several responses for this but other people here care what you say so out of deference to them I'll choose not to **** in the punch bowl. Have a good evening Sir.

And due to the way he chose to be "confrontational" he'll never get anything from Manuel again. So clearly it was well done and worth it. He didn't get any actual information, he burned somebody and he cut off a source of information in the future from a guy who might be around 10 years. Solid move.

oh, i see you added to your initial post, to which i'll respond: because we in the media have gotten so much insight from EJ already?

I had several responses for this but other people here care what you say so out of deference to them I'll choose not to **** in the punch bowl. Have a good evening Sir.

you're at the wrong end of the night, and i shouldn't take it out on you. my apologies. appreciate the restraint.

jw

and given the topic of conversation, you had a far better answer for this than EJ did to Tim, i think.

Add: probably time to see what's adoing on PPP. ;)

Edited by john wawrow

oh, i see you added to your initial post, to which i'll respond: because we in the media have gotten so much insight from EJ already?

jw

you're at the wrong end of the night, and i shouldn't take it out on you. my apologies. appreciate the restraint.

jw

But what percentage of athletes, or actors or politicians or anyone for that matter, give actual insight in interviews. Surely some guys are great, but it seems to me to be a very small percentage. And the main reason that interviewees do NOT give keen insight is because they can't, or think they can't, because other people will get pissed at them.

It's a very small fishbowl on the eastern end of Lake Erie, and when you're the most talented QB in a while, there are big expectations. But frankly I don't recall Todd Collins getting the same treatment even though he crumbled at the sight of a squirrel in a Houston Oilers helmet.

It's a very small fishbowl on the eastern end of Lake Erie, and when you're the most talented QB in a while, there are big expectations. But frankly I don't recall Todd Collins getting the same treatment even though he crumbled at the sight of a squirrel in a Houston Oilers helmet.

True but I think there is a significant difference between a #16 pick in the first round and a second round pick as far as expectations go. Sure Todd Collins was the "heir apparent" following Kelly, so his situation was a little different, but to me way more is expected of the first QB taken in the draft, fair or not.

But what percentage of athletes, or actors or politicians or anyone for that matter, give actual insight in interviews. Surely some guys are great, but it seems to me to be a very small percentage. And the main reason that interviewees do NOT give keen insight is because they can't, or think they can't, because other people will get pissed at them.

the problem with EJ is that he's mostly conducted interviews in group sessions making it near impossible to get any keen insight in one-on-one private sessions. and it's usually during these one-on-one sessions in which relationships are built and insight is provided. it's curious that other QBs here have been far more approachable than EJ.

jw

and, let me say this, woah: PPP hasn't at all changed.

Edited by john wawrow

True but I think there is a significant difference between a #16 pick in the first round and a second round pick as far as expectations go. Sure Todd Collins was the "heir apparent" following Kelly, so his situation was a little different, but to me way more is expected of the first QB taken in the draft, fair or not.

Yes, and...

:-)

Getting back on topic, would anyone be truly surprised if Bills pick a QB within the first three rounds?

Yes, and...

:-)

Getting back on topic, would anyone be truly surprised if Bills pick a QB within the first three rounds?

I would be shocked and bet anything they won't take one in round one, unless something crazy happens and Johnny Football or Bridgewater is there AND the Bills think he's the next great can't miss QB, both of which are unlikely.

I would not be shocked if they take one in round two or three although I don't predict it. Not the second at least. And regardless of recent successes like Kapernick and Russell Wilson, I don't think any of the 32 teams think of a QB drafted in the second round or later as anything other than a back-up with the hope they could be a starter some day.

I would be shocked and bet anything they won't take one in round one, unless something crazy happens and Johnny Football or Bridgewater is there AND the Bills think he's the next great can't miss QB, both of which are unlikely.

I would not be shocked if they take one in round two or three although I don't predict it. Not the second at least. And regardless of recent successes like Kapernick and Russell Wilson, I don't think any of the 32 teams think of a QB drafted in the second round or later as anything other than a back-up with the hope they could be a starter some day.

And if you look at the Kaepernick and Wilson picks, none were made to compete with the starters. They were both slated to be the developmental guys down the road.

I think if Bridgewater or Manziel are still there at 9th, the pick has to be made. But we know that's not happening. But if a good QB is there in Rd 2 or 4, Bills should not hesitate in picking him

And if you look at the Kaepernick and Wilson picks, none were made to compete with the starters. They were both slated to be the developmental guys down the road.

I think if Bridgewater or Manziel are still there at 9th, the pick has to be made. But we know that's not happening. But if a good QB is there in Rd 2 or 4, Bills should not hesitate in picking him

Maybe, but the chance of a #2 or #3 becoming either of them is about 5%, and I think teams know that. They should if they don't.

Maybe, but the chance of a #2 or #3 becoming either of them is about 5%, and I think teams know that. They should if they don't.

here's the problem. the Bills did this with Trent Edwards and that didn't entirely pan out, and instead set the franchise back. the smart play would be to either pick a QB in the first round or not at all unless it's a replacement to Tuel.

that said, they need to upgrade the backup position.

jw

here's the problem. the Bills did this with Trent Edwards and that didn't entirely pan out, and instead set the franchise back. the smart play would be to either pick a QB in the first round or not at all unless it's a replacement to Tuel.

that said, they need to upgrade the backup position.

jw

Exactly. Tuel needs to go, and very, very few 2 or 3 round Qbs are even very good back-ups let alone starters.

Exactly. Tuel needs to go, and very, very few 2 or 3 round Qbs are even very good back-ups let alone starters.

the trouble is how this would affect EJ, who is seemingly under the impression that he is irreplaceable, otherwise why would he be asking others for his opinion. perhaps, a competition might be best?

jw

the trouble is how this would affect EJ, who is seemingly under the impression that he is irreplaceable, otherwise why would he be asking others for his opinion. perhaps, a competition might be best?

jw

With all due respect, I don't understand how he comes across as thinking he is irreplaceable. Isn't this editorializing? Or is there more you care to share? There isn't a player in the NFL who doesn't realize that you're always in a competition for your job. It seems you're suggesting EJ doesn't realize this.

To me, he has been told by the team that they believe in him and that he'll be afforded the opportunity to prove that he is their guy. To select a first round QB would run counter to that. Now if the team has told him that and then does otherwise in the draft, it would seem that the tough questions should be directed towards the front office.

Again, I still take issue with the phrasing of the question. You can ask difficult questions without attacking. This is a frickin' football player, not a congressman.

And if it's as tough as you suggest to get these private sessions with EJ, then Graham clearly just blew it.

That's why I'd like one of the more talented QBs in the draft in Aaron Murray, at an injury discounted draft slot.