EJ knee surgery, Tim Graham questions, draft QB?

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

well this thread certainly serves at as a litmus test regarding the critical thinking of a lot of posters here.

to be honest i'm somewhat surprised at the responses.

Is TG's question/answer that out of bounds? If you don't think EJ's performance doesn't raise the question that he's infallible, I question your judgement.

Perhaps TG could have been more cordial, but is that what we really want from the media? Or would you prefer someone who doesn't question the status quo?

Chris Brown gets mocked as "Baghdad Bill," but TG gets vilified for suggesting EJ might not be the franchise QB we're pining for?

How many of you who are bashing Graham truly think that EJ has shown to be the unquestioned answer going forward?

Or are you just gonna talk about civility?

What's more important? An a-hole reporter or a mediocre QB?

Don't get caught up in media drama. We can talk about TG's interviewing methods, but that doesn't win or lose games. The performance of a QB does. TG is verbalizing what we are all thinking, I'm glad I got to hear/read EJ's response. While not the end all be all, I'm not happy the QB that is supposed to lead us to the promised land seems to be shaken by an innocuous question regarding his status.

If EJ is the franchise, it doesn't matter that he faced a jerk question from a jerk. If he isn't, it still doesn't matter.

As inappropriate you might find TG's question, I find EJ's answer more concerning. Instead of asking, "Do you think they should?" He could have easily asked, "Why would they?" and proceeded to provide reasons that they wouldn't. Unfortunately, he couldn't or didn't.

I'm not an EJ hater. I think he's shown enough potential to earn a shot going forward. But to me, to decry TG's question and response as unfair is saying EJ deserves the benefit of the doubt. I'm not totally there, and I don't believe Thad is an adequate backup plan. For whatever confidence I have in EJ, if I'm the GM, I want a viable backup plan ASAP. At the moment, I don't think the Bills have one.

The mother hen syndrome on this board is palpable.

Fact is, until he does something significant in the NFL he is just another dude passing thru and collecting 7 figure paychecks.

Results and respect are EARNED in the NFL. Until then, "the respec is in the chec", EJ.

Next time, EJ won't ask that stupid question. And it WAS a stupid......who in their right mind comes off performing like one of the very worst QB's in the NFL(rookie or not)......suffers 3 knee injuries that caused him to miss time in that season and then labors under the delusion that people don't think he should be challenged as the starting QB? :doh:

Jim Kelly would have punched him.

Jim Kelly was a fierce competitor who performed at a high level. We don't know what kind of will to win EJ has and he has yet to play up to his elite measurables, not only at the pro level, but also at FSU. It's easy to be confident in the offseason. Trent Edwards was Joe Montana in the offseason.

The mother hen syndrome on this board is palpable.

Fact is, until he does something significant in the NFL he is just another dude passing thru and collecting 7 figure paychecks.

Results and respect are EARNED in the NFL. Until then, "the respec is in the chec", EJ.

Next time, EJ won't ask that stupid question. And it WAS a stupid......who in their right mind comes off performing like one of the very worst QB's in the NFL(rookie or not)......suffers 3 knee injuries that caused him to miss time in that season and then labors under the delusion that people don't think he should be challenged as the starting QB? :doh:

None of this changes the fact that Graham I's a douche trying to cause problems. His myopic response was more than a shot at EJ. It was a shot at Lewis too and even Tuel. We can all say tha EJ hasn't proven anything blah blah blah but using a number 1 to draft the 4th QB in this draft is instant dysfunction and drafting in a later round is a multi year project or a Lewis replacement. Graham thinks like a gnat thinks.

None of this changes the fact that Graham I's a douche trying to cause problems. His myopic response was more than a shot at EJ. It was a shot at Lewis too and even Tuel. We can all say tha EJ hasn't proven anything blah blah blah but using a number 1 to draft the 4th QB in this draft is instant dysfunction and drafting in a later round is a multi year project or a Lewis replacement. Graham thinks like a gnat thinks.

The mother hen syndrome is the rush to shelter EJ against imaginary concerns. EJ is cut a lot of slack simply for being a rookie........but in terms of just being a starting NFL QB......his season was ATROCIOUS. HORRENDOUS. It's one thing to allow people to grade you on a curve. It's another thing to get injured 3 times and play like sh*t and then act as if you are unaware that anyone noticed. :doh: In truth, the only ones in the wrong here are the mother hens making a mountain out of a mole hill. I can at least cut EJ some slack for not letting a nightmare season get his confidence down. And as I said, EJ asked the stupid question, not Graham. The people who think Graham is......or more importantly CAN.....cause problems for EJ are living in a fantasy world. He's going to sink or swim, and something tells me all the hens will forget all about their poor baby if some unknown QB were to come out of nowhere and supplant EJ and lead them to the playoffs.

The mother hen syndrome is the rush to shelter EJ against imaginary concerns. EJ is cut a lot of slack simply for being a rookie........but in terms of just being a starting NFL QB......his season was ATROCIOUS. HORRENDOUS. It's one thing to allow people to grade you on a curve. It's another thing to get injured 3 times and play like sh*t and then act as if you are unaware that anyone noticed. :doh: In truth, the only ones in the wrong here are the mother hens making a mountain out of a mole hill. I can at least cut EJ some slack for not letting a nightmare season get his confidence down. And as I said, EJ asked the stupid question, not Graham. The people who think Graham is......or more importantly CAN.....cause problems for EJ are living in a fantasy world. He's going to sink or swim, and something tells me all the hens will forget all about their poor baby if some unknown QB were to come out of nowhere and supplant EJ and lead them to the playoffs.

Mutually exclusive topics. EJ as a question mark heading into next season. Tim Graham as an amateur journalist. Let's not conflate the two.

Mutually exclusive topics. EJ as a question mark heading into next season. Tim Graham as an amateur journalist. Let's not conflate the two.

Totally agree and I will agree that EJ deserves some criticism for taking Graham's childish bait. If he gets better as a QB he will undoubtedly get better questions from better reporters trying to trap him. EJ asked the question but Graham baited him into it. I'm hoping EJ gets more polished and professional as he gets more experience. He had better because Graham likely won't ever resemble a professional .

Edited by 4merper4mer

At times like these I like to ask myself, "What would Jim Everett do?"

Frankly, IMO, if EJ has thin skin about Tim Graham and his questions, that does not bode well for his career. When he asks do you think they should, he is opening a different can of worms himself, regardless of TG's snarkiness.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

I see. So the logic is the Bills keep drafting a QB in the 1st round until a rookie QB looks great? Brilliant.

Thad Lewis performed on par with EJ. He is also young and relatively inexperienced. Why is he not considered on par with Manuel?

Simple answer.......pedigree.

EJ was considered an underachiever......or simply a non-elite prospect at FSU.

You could argue that there are a half dozen or more QB's in this draft with a higher pedigree in regard to their performance or perceived NFL potential.

The Bills picked EJ early with the idea that there was much untapped ability in what was a very inconsistent package at FSU.

In truth, his performance at a football factory with otherwise national championship talent probably warranted only 4th or 5th round consideration.

He didn't elevate the level of that program so asking him to do that in the NFL required a significant leap of faith by an NFL team.

For a QB starved organization like Buffalo, selecting a player like that was only wrong if they weren't willing to draft another QB the next year if he didn't knock their socks off.

People can cherry pick for stats to show how EJ played relative to other rookies in NFL history........but the reality is that he played like one of the very worst starting QB's in the NFL, he had injury problems and his deficiencies in college were still there, if not magnified.

At the risk of get crap for bringing he-shall-be-not-be-named...

This EJ nonsense is pretty much exactly what predicted would happen. Our last QB was also "the worst in the NFL." :rolleyes: "WE HAVE TO DRAFT A FRANCHISE QB!!!" Are you willing to deal with the leaning curve? "YES! YES!! GIVE US ANYBODY BUT F***!!"

So now we draft a 1st Rd QB and he misses half the season due to injuries and we are already to toss him in the lake. Even our news media feels compelled to insult him. Draft another QB? Why not 3? Why not draft all QBs? Throw in a couple of UDFA's too. After all competition is good right?

Same as it ever was. :wallbash:

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

At the risk of get crap for bringing he-shall-be-not-be-named...

This EJ nonsense is pretty much exactly what predicted would happen. Our last QB was also "the worst in the NFL." :rolleyes" "WE HAVE TO DRAFT A FRANCHISE QB!!!" Are you willing to deal with the leaning curve? "YES! YES!! GIVE US ANYBODY BUT F***!!"

So now we draft a 1st Rd QB and he misses half the season due to injuries and we are already to toss him in the lake. Even our news media feels compelled to insult him. Draft another QB? Why not 3? Why not draft all QBs? Throw in a couple of UDFA's too. After all competition is good right?

Same as it ever was. :wallbash:

PTR

in retrospect, this would have been a worthy discussion say after JP's first offseason, or Trent's, no? they leash is short because of those who preceded EJ. that's not EJ's fault. but he has so far failed to show he's the definitive answer on a team that's not made the playoffs in 14 seasons and not had an answer at QB since Jim Kelly.

jw

It's FAR too late for that. Why we debate the journalistic merits of Tim Graham or Jerry Sullivan on the football section of TSW is beyond me. I think there is a considerable amount of career envy in many of those critiques though.

I am not sure where this comes from John, and a little surprising. People can debate all day long about EJ's performance on the field and whether or not he is the answer. However, off the field, he has consistently presented himself with class, diginity, and maturity. He has conducted himself remarkably well in the media for a 23 year old kid who "we" as fans decided to annoint as the savior of a downtrodden franchise. I certainly do not recall him ever acting in any way that should lead anyone to believe he feels this job is his for life, or that he has nothing left to prove. Quite the opposite actually.

This is pretty much the way I see this situation...We can debate EJ as a QB all day and night...But I don't think, at this point anyway, his character can be questioned...He'll learn from this I hope...I don't think he was being conceited or assuming anything...I think he was surprised by the question and blurted out a response...I don't think it says squat about his character or his overall attitude...He truly wants to be great, and he wants to lead the Bills to great things...Whether or not he actually has that ability is up in the air right now...But again, I don't question his character...He's a good kid... B-)

Full interview: http://blogs.canoe.c...sday-afternoon/

#awkward

So Graham has now moved on to directly trolling the players looking for content. That's a ridiculous, baiting question on so many levels and kudos to EJ for answering it the way he did. Well done Graham, we now more fully understand why nobody on the team feeds you anything.

And to be clear I'm not at all satisfied with EJ's rookie year. However, since we all know the Bills WON'T draft a QB in the first round the question is rendered moot and is thus trolling. Next year maybe you can legitimately ask that. This year? Nope.

Edited by DJasper Probincrux III

I just read Graham's article on the front page. I have a problem with reporters injecting themselves into the articles. He basically manufactured a story. Classic pseudo event (if anyone is familiar with Boorstein: http://www.transpare...ow.com/boor.htm )

I refuse to reward him and his superiors by contributing to their click count. Being a douche to drive traffic is Graham and Sullivan's game and I'm done. They bring no value to the party. Graham is an ass, Sullivan tweets his approval, Skurski RTs Sullivan's approval. Giant circle jerk of mediocrity.

Vic Carucci or Larry Felser do not ask that question in that way at this time. No chance.