EJ knee surgery, Tim Graham questions, draft QB?

I'm pretty sure I've stated several times that the Bills should draft another QB (or 2... or 3). So, I have zero problem with the initial TG question. Its a topic of discussion in Buffalo, and nationally, for anyone that follows the Bills. Is EJ really the answer? His inconsistent play and 3 knee injuries have led to all the doubt and speculation.

With all that said, the problem with the interview is that TG showed a fundamenal lack of professionalism and ...tact. Ask the initial question .. "What would be your reaction if they draft a quarterback in the first round?" no problem EJ gives a fairly expected answer... "I don’t know. We’ll have to see if that happens. You guys think they should?"

At that point, you don't interject your personal opinion into the inerview and respond... "I do." That's just unprofessional and disrespectful. He should have responded with something more like... "Well, its been a topic of discussion in Buffalo because or your injuries. Does that motivate you to get back on the field?"...Work harder? Prove yourself again? anything?

Instead he interjected his personal opinion into an interview, making his agenda apparent, and ended the interview prematurely. All of which led to less talking to EJ and a subsequent article with more opinion than information.

That's the problem.. him answering EJs question, not him asking EJ a question.

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm pretty sure I've stated several times that the Bills should draft another QB (or 2... or 3). So, I have zero problem with the initial TG question. Its a topic of discussion in Buffalo, and nationally, for anyone that follows the Bills. Is EJ really the answer? His inconsistent play and 3 knee injuries have led to all the doubt and speculation.

With all that said, the problem with the interview is that TG showed a fundamenal lack of professionalism and ...tact. Ask the initial question .. "What would be your reaction if they draft a quarterback in the first round?" no problem EJ gives a fairly expected answer... "I don't know. We'll have to see if that happens. You guys think they should?"

At that point, you don't interject your personal opinion into the inerview and respond... "I do." That's just unprofessional and disrespectful. He should have responded with something more like... "Well, its been a topic of discussion in Buffalo because or your injuries. Does that motivate you to get back on the field?"...Work harder? Prove yourself again? anything?

Instead he interjected his personal opinion into an interview, making his agenda apparent, and ended the interview prematurely. All of which led to less talking to EJ and a subsequent article with more opinion than information.

Yes and this is one of the reasons he got canned by ESPN. I love Buffalo, but the sports media there both on the radio and with the Bflo News is just so sub-par it is embarrassing. I live in Columbus and NYC or LA it isn't, but this kind of thing would never happen here. They don't shy away from things, but at the same time they aren't going to put someone on blast to their face, just for attention. Edited by YoloinOhio

With all that said, the problem with the interview is that TG showed a fundamenal lack of professionalism and ...tact. Ask the initial question .. "What would be your reaction if they draft a quarterback in the first round?" no problem EJ gives a fairly expected answer... "I don't know. We'll have to see if that happens. You guys think they should?"

You first must have it in order to lack it.

I feel like no matter what Tim actually thinks about drafting a QB in the first round (whether or not the Bills should), in that instance he was going to say yes in the hopes that EJ took his bait and said something off color or tried to really get into it with him.

If that is really his opinion, then I'm ok with the line of questioning. However, nobody will ever know if it is really his opinion or not.

He knew that there were only a few different responses EJ could give him and he had formulated answers to each of them ready to go.

Similar to a lawyer or sales person, members of the media ask questions that they already know the answers to.

Couldn't agree more - well said, Dan!

I agree wholeheartedly. While I fully support a free press being able to ask whatever questions they want, that was kind of a jackhole move by Graham. He was inserting himself into the story. It's no wonder so many local yokel WNY media covering the Bills are never given any scoops.

<snip>

Similar to a lawyer or sales person, members of the media ask questions that they already know the answers to.

Perhaps that's the difference between sports writers and real journalists.

Thank goodness Tim Graham can't make any personnel decisions for any team in the NFL, especially the Bills. When EJ was on the field, he gave the Bills a chance to win. He struggled when his offensive line couldn't win battles.

I think Buddy Nix said a QB should be drafted or picked up every year in any case and I agree with that. Picking up a young project in rounds 5-7 or as an UDFA is fine. With that said, EJ deserves a minimum 20 starts before anyone passes judgement on him.

Ya know. I personally don't really like Tim Graham. I think he's a lazy journalist myself. But the fact is he did ask EJ a tough question. All year we complain why these reporters don't ask these guys tough questions. Then when they do, we all want to complain about it.

Having a pretty good understanding of what it's like to tear my meniscus, I'm surprised EJs preseason injury healed so quickly.

Derrick Rose decided to heal his torn meniscus the long-term way. Dwayne Wade healed it the fast way and has paid dearly with recurrent bouts of knee swelling - that plague him to this day. Wadeeven was quoted advising Rose to allow his meniscus to heal 100% and take the long road recovery..

I know EJ only plays 16 games per year, but the constant strain a QB puts on his knees, made me raise my eyebrow when the Bills elected for the quick & dirty surgical recovery method.

Edited by Beerball

Ya know. I personally don't really like Tim Graham. I think he's a lazy journalist myself. But the fact is he did ask EJ a tough question. All year we complain why these reporters don't ask these guys tough questions. Then when they do, we all want to complain about it.

I think it was a stupid question. What did he think EJ was going to say - yes, they should draft a QB?

As discussed above, the first question was certainly valid. The follow-up? Not so much.

Yes and this is one of the reasons he got canned by ESPN. I love Buffalo, but the sports media there both on the radio and with the Bflo News is just so sub-par it is embarrassing. I live in Columbus and NYC or LA it isn't, but this kind of thing would never happen here. They don't shy away from things, but at the same time they aren't going to put someone on blast to their face, just for attention.

he did not get "canned" by espn. that is inaccurate.

jw

I disagree, EJ asked Graham and he responded in truth (his truth but still). I think it shows honesty above anything else. EJ needs to stop thinking that he has arrived, if he even does that, he needs to fight to become good then continue to fight to become elite.

The point that is missed in all of this is that EJ acted very immature by countering with a "Think they should?". Shows EJ has self confidence issues that he masks well.

Also anyone consider that maybe the interview was done anyway?

Well I was going to type out a response but then this appeared in the thread and I think it answers your questions quite well...

I think it was a stupid question. What did he think EJ was going to say - yes, they should draft a QB?

according to John Kryk's transcript of the exchange, the initial question asked by Graham was:

What would be your reaction if they draft a quarterback in the first round? (Graham)

EJ's reaction to that question was:

“I don’t know. We’ll have to see if that happens. You guys think they should?”

let's be fair, here. questions about the Bills drafting a QB in the first round this year have been raised long in advance of yesterday. that EJ ended his response with a question which to his surprise was answered is not the media's fault.

jw

Edited by john wawrow

I'll admit for awhile that I thought people had been too hard on him, but he's since gone full douchebag with his twitter conduct and this kind of stuff. He is a very small man. And I don't want to run journalists off this site - it's definitely a privilege to get to hear from people who work in the business and do it well. I wouldn't put Graham in that category. He is trying to remain relevant and if he has to make himself the story, he will.

He was always the same dude you described after your first sentence. Needlessly negative and an outright d*&@k. He is a wrestling heel with a keyboard and tape recorder. Wasn’t sorry he left the board. Notice he doesn’t like people calling him out...

Yes and this is one of the reasons he got canned by ESPN. I love Buffalo, but the sports media there both on the radio and with the Bflo News is just so sub-par it is embarrassing. I live in Columbus and NYC or LA it isn't, but this kind of thing would never happen here. They don't shy away from things, but at the same time they aren't going to put someone on blast to their face, just for attention.

Allen Wilson was a great reporter and I like Joe B and Coach Sal. I think they are fair minded even if others disagree with their opinions from time to time. But the Schopp & Bulldogs and Tim Graham’s et al can be upgraded.

Edited by purple haze