EJ knee surgery, Tim Graham questions, draft QB?

He clearly should have. But maybe a feud with him involved is good biz for him? Who knows what these guys think.

I'm glad you appreciated the rhetorical meaning of my question.

Unfortunately, I don't think your scenario is far-fetched. Little talent as a writer plus an ax to grind is a dangerous combination and right up Tim Graham's alley.

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

well, I don't have the time to listen but based on your quote and the fact that you are replying I'm assuming IM WRONG. Chalk it up to bad media I guess. I heard that he would only wear the brace for this upcoming season.

Go Bills

Edited by mrags

The worst part about it is that Graham showed his hand and even if Manuel does well this season, Graham is probably going to push the narrative that he sucks and we need to look elsewhere.

No, the worst part about it is that a legitimate newspaper finds Graham worthy of a paycheck when there are trained chimps, some not too highly, that can be had for a mere fraction of the cost.

GO BILLS!!!

well, I don't have the time to listen but based on your quote and the fact that you are replying I'm assuming IM WRONG. Chalk it up to bad media I guess. I heard that he would only wear the brace for this upcoming season.

Go Bills

Just providing a quote (hopefully accurate) from the QB's mouth.

First, I hate how these threads become massive and are combined into one hodgepodge forcing those on a cell phone to click though multiple pages discussing different topics.

On the Tim Graham front, it's always impressive to see a guy who is so thin skinned (witness how easy he was to upset on this board) being the first to really give it to a player. I understand if you're a straight shooter, that's something to be commended especially in the current media landscape. But Graham's comments read like something else. This is the same guy who bolted this board because he didn't like being questioned / challenged, yet he is the first to do it to EJ then write an article about it that he knows will get picked up nationally. I'm not saying I disagree with Graham's take, personally with the new rookie cap, I'd take a QB at the top of every draft (if they were good enough) until you had a franchise QB you could bank on, but I question his methods and motives. I'm sure Tim and his defenders will spin this as having the guts to say something to a QB that you are going to write in the paper the next day, but you can also say this is a report on a local paper desperate for national attention taking a shot at provoking a player during media week of the Super Bowl.

Nobody ran TG off this board except TG. He threw a hissy fit over some fairly innocuous criticism. He simply does not like to be disagreed with. Ample evidence of this.

Point in fact is that if TG were just another random fan posting on this site, it wouldn't have been tolerated. The fact is / was his press credentials don't / didn't open the door for personal attacks or for consistently taking jabs at the guy as a person or man. I don't agree with him on anywhere near the term "often" would imply, but attacking someone - anyone - for their personal opinion is uncalled for and juvenile. TG didn't just leave the board, I was on the board when the discussion erupted and a couple of times he alluded to the fact that he may just leave the board altogether and a few bullying as*wipes decided to make it happen. TG came here as a person, on his personal time, in his own personal interest - not representing ESPN at the time. Again, no one - I repeat - NO ONE deserves to be ridiculed or belittled for their opinion. All are of equal status in a forum such as this. We may disagree and there will be some who are using out-dated stats or their own subjective bias to slant facts to their advantage, but it doesn't make that person worthy of attack or turning anything on this board personal. To be clear, I am NOT defending TG the professional writer and employee of Buffalo News or previously of ESPN, I am defending the idea that all people on this board should (and I think are) be afforded the protection to voice their opinions and observations regarding the BILLS as an organization and a team without fear of retribution or cyber-bullying of any kind. Go back and review the thread that ultimately forced him to depart. TG not posting on this board, at best, has caused us all to lose some good inside information, and at worst, a revelation of just how silly we can all be at one point or another. I applaud the person who hotly debated JW yesterday regarding the contract negotiation with Byrd as he didn't make it personal or nasty, and in fact said as much that he wished to continue on topic - not implying JW did anything wrong either - just that everyone was focused on making it about the argument of fact or perception and not the person writing it. And I may be mistaken, but it's the loss of Lori, and yes TG, and other posters like them that have caused us all to have a heightened sense of fairness and decorum when having these discussions that make us so zealous or impassioned about our opinion.

Edited by BigBuff423

Oh good, another Tim Graham article for me to ignore. :thumbdown: Frrrrrrrrrrrrt

Point in fact is that if TG were just another random fan posting on this site, it wouldn't have been tolerated. The fact is / was his press credentials don't / didn't open the door for personal attacks or for consistently taking jabs at the guy as a person or man....

I shortened the post for quoting purposes, but am replying to the entire thing...

I was here when the TG thing went down too. The entire "attack" was against ESPN, not TG personally. When Leonidas made a comment along the lines of "tell your employer to cover other cities besides Boston and Dallas", that is when TG had his hissy fit and started with the "Well maybe you dont want a credentialed reporter posting here" and his other BS. And yeah, a number of people called him on it and said "Fine, we dont". So he took his ball and went home.

IT was clear in what TG posted that he didnt come here to be a peered member of the community. He showed up thinking that he would be worshipped and given special treatment where no one would question what he said and he'd never have to respond or have an actual discussion. Where as that is exactly how JW has approached posting here and what makes him a welcomed member of our community.

It was only after that all went down, and he was already off the board, that the more personal attacks started.

And if you don't like personal attacks, then stay away from TG's twitter, because that is his MO when responding to people.

Dude is a little weasel. When he started at TBN, he actually had a couple of good articles, but has since developed into the new, even worse, Jerry Sullivan. I don't know if it is ordered from the top to write antagonistic stuff in order to get clicks, or what, but he's losing whatever credibility he had left by the second.

Edited by DrDareustein

The evolution of the web has made it more difficult than ever for writers who want to cover sports for a living to be successful at it. As a result there is always going to be pressure to sensationalize stories to get clicks/views/ratings. As for this particular story, I'm not sure if that was the intent but it definitely comes across that way.

The only way to find out if EJ is injury prone is for him to play. I think last year was somewhat of an aberration in the sense that the coaches knew that the team wasn't going to make the playoffs, so there was no point in playing him even on a slightly injured knee. IMO if the team had been in serious contention for the playoffs he would have played.

If EJ learns that he can't run with the ball the way he did in college, I think he'll be fine. But if he doesn't learn to slide or get out of bounds, he won't be able to play a full season.

What a douche I don't blame ej for ending the interview then.

I disagree, EJ asked Graham and he responded in truth (his truth but still). I think it shows honesty above anything else. EJ needs to stop thinking that he has arrived, if he even does that, he needs to fight to become good then continue to fight to become elite.

The point that is missed in all of this is that EJ acted very immature by countering with a "Think they should?". Shows EJ has self confidence issues that he masks well.

Also anyone consider that maybe the interview was done anyway?

Edited by bladiebla

I disagree, EJ asked Graham and he responded in truth (his truth but still). I think it shows honesty above anything else. EJ needs to stop thinking that he has arrived, if he even does that, he needs to fight to become good then continue to fight to become elite.

He did ask him but it was a sucker punch that he took on EJ just to be able to write another column. I'm sure there are plenty of other players in the the league that would have walked away right after he answered, if not given it back Graham.

The worst part about it is that Graham showed his hand and even if Manuel does well this season, Graham is probably going to push the narrative that he sucks and we need to look elsewhere.

100% right! It's the safer bet. More of these guys don't pan out than do. Unless EJ becomes a perennial probowler Graham can always op Ed "I told you so's"... Being a vocal dissenter generates more clicks. Downside for him is he's certainly not building the type if relationship with EJ that will get him extra interviews or candid answers.

Seriously for the last almost 20 years, just in b-lo, every single guy was not "the guy".

Why not keep playing those odds.

Remarkable to me is that it is considered controversial after seeing this result for so long.

Tim Graham is Skip Bayless without a TV show.

I actually don't mind him asking Graham that hack that question, because Graham that hack was obviously being confrontational for his own purposes, not for any journalistic reason. WTF is EJ supposed to say? "I don't think I deserve the job?" "They should bring in competition?"

I think EJ *was* being media savvy. He could have answered stupidly, or just ignored it, or done the "I don't make personnel decisions for the team" line. Instead he made everyone's favorite "journalist" look like a complete ass.

Oh..What happened to being a reporter, and reporting the news, passing along you know....accurate info! Everyone in the media has to editorialize and give their own opinion. I really don't give a **** about how Graham thinks a team should be run. Has he ever run one? Does anyone want him to run one for that matter? The answer of course is no !@#$ing way!

Oh..What happened to being a reporter, and reporting the news, passing along you know....accurate info! Everyone in the media has to editorialize and give their own opinion. I really don't give a **** about how Graham thinks a team should be run. Has he ever run one? Does anyone want him to run one for that matter? The answer of course is no !@#$ing way!

+1000 :thumbsup: