Jim O'Neil hired as Browns DC

BarleyNY

Hearing O'Neil will be allowed to go to Browns as DC under condition that Browns do not go after any other coach still under contract with Bills. Released coaches obviously still fair game.

Edited by Beerball
fixed thread title

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not make that deal. The Bills are under no obligation to let O'Neil go even though it is a promotion for him, and the other guys would just be making lateral moves. I say if they want him, give up a draft pick.

Why not ask for a draft pick? If O'Neil's not worth a 4th or 5th round pick to the Browns, then why should we give him up for free on the basis that there's some moral imperative to allow people to leave for promotions. He did sign a contract with us. If he wanted the right to leave after one year if offered a DC position, he should have negotiated for that in his contract. (Sorry Doc. Saw your post when I hit post. Great minds?)

Edited by widerightradio

I would not make that deal. The Bills are under no obligation to let O'Neil go even though it is a promotion for him, and the other guys would just be making lateral moves. I say if they want him, give up a draft pick.

I don't believe they can trade picks for coaches anymore.

In this case, as you point out we don't have to agree to any - It's not really a deal as much as a "we will grant you the courtesy of saying yes to one, and you'll be courteous enough to not ask about others" if the OPs rumor is true.

The league's new policy is not restricted to head coaches. It prevents draft picks from being used to sign anyone under contract with another team, including assistants, front-office personnel

http://www.sptimes.com/2003/01/17/Bucs/NFL_nixes_draft_picks.shtml

Edited by NoSaint

If true, I think it's a good deal. We're not standing in the way of O'Neil's promotion but - at the same time - we're preventing our defensive staff from being gutted. I think the greater coaching community would consider that fair. We want to be seen as a good place to coach.

If true, I think it's a good deal. We're not standing in the way of O'Neil's promotion but - at the same time - we're preventing our defensive staff from being gutted. I think the greater coaching community would consider that fair. We want to be seen as a good place to coach.

agreed - we are being supportive to the guy on the way out, but sticking up for the ones here and on the way in. i dont think anyone would be wildly turned off by that.

Agreed.

I agree. Rex allowed some of his staff to leave when Pettine left, but not all of them. This seems like a fair move.

This is what you do if you want to ruin your reputation and not be in the running down the road for HC's and assistants. There will be a time again, hopefully not soon, when Buffalo needs another assistant or perhaps HC. You don't win the coaching community over by telling current assistants they can't leave when they want to.

It's not like it should be hard for Schwartz to find a LB coach.

This is what you do if you want to ruin your reputation and not be in the running down the road for HC's and assistants. There will be a time again, hopefully not soon, when Buffalo needs another assistant or perhaps HC. You don't win the coaching community over by telling current assistants they can't leave when they want to.

It's not like it should be hard for Schwartz to find a LB coach.

Exactly. Let the man take his promotion.

Sounds like the Bills have had time to sit down with the new DC and determine who they want to keep, and O'Neil isnt on the list. But if we're going to let him go anyways, we might as well secure the rest of the staff while we're at it. Another good move by the FO.