Jim O'Neil hired as Browns DC

BarleyNY

Actually, in classification, the Dc and other asst coaches are all on the same level. Technically not a promotion. And, Green Bay played that card in the alex Van Pelt situation. the Bills did not in this case, and I think that Swatrz wanted to bring in Cunningham all along. Now, slaming the door on the others beside ONeil is OK.....let Pettine hire them when their contracts are up. Now, keeping the others is a mixed bag...if Swartz can live with them, and work with tem, its pretty clear that Henderson did a great job in the secondary, with Williams, McKelvin...and we need more of the same kind of coaching. Finally, continuity in coaching personnel is always good, as it will foster growth, not learning from the beginning every year. The Bills would have been better served with no change or little change on a much improved D....and with a better O, might have made the playoffs this coming year. Now, the D in addition to the O will once again be a question mark. anyhow, Marrone has to slam the door on Pettine for the other guys.....and, trust me, Buffalo is a great job to have...no trouble getting coaches in the future.

In the corporate environment I lived in for 35 years, I had to make those release to interview decisions all the time, and we only refused a promotion interview if we in fact were also going to make that promotion within 1 year. And, we lived up to those refusals (made the promotion within one year) The NFL and the Bills are indeed just another corporate environment...its just that their business is entertainment via a sport. I am sure Brandon Watley Marrone are doing this all with their eyes wide open.

Gunther?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's ironic Cunningham could come to Buffalo to work on the defensive staff. He was HC of the Chiefs in 2008 when DJ and the Trent Edwards led Bills beat KC 54-31. Cunningham said he'd get back at DJ and now he might be the LB coach. LOL

From HC to LB Coach. Seems fitting, if you allow Trentative to put up 54.

And exactly why did the NFL prohibit draft choice compensation for coaching moves?

It's ridiculous to think that a team can block a coach who wants a promotion. As Marrone said, you only want to keep people who want to stay with you. If all these guys are defecting to Cleveland, Bills should get draft picks or have Cleveland pick up the difference in contact $$ if Bills replacements cost more.

Cleveland really poached our coaching staff. Classy of the Bills to not block anything and for Marrone for helping to "prep" Pettine for his interview.

As has been mentioned in other threads, Schwartz probably wants his own guys so no reason to stop Pettines guys from moving to Cleveland.

Jets fans could have made the same statement this time last year when Pettine brought these same guys to Buffalo.

Silly me thinking next training camp would be spent watching the offense because the defense would be stable. ;)

Edited by CodeMonkey

As has been mentioned in other threads, Schwartz probably wants his own guys so no reason to stop Pettines guys from moving to Cleveland.

Jets fans could have made the same statement this time last year when Pettine brought these same guys to Buffalo.

Silly me thinking next training camp would be spent watching the offense because the defense would be stable. ;)

Totally different situation. In NY, they were at the end of Ryan's 4th year, and everyone expected him to make some changes to staff, or find himself fired as well. Rex made it known they were looking to make moves, and a change at DC was one of them.

We didnt poach them from a staff that just finished their first year and was attempting to add stability and continuity to a staff.

And exactly why did the NFL prohibit draft choice compensation for coaching moves?

I don't think that they do. All I can find to support this is an article from 2003 saying they put a rule in place after Gruden was traded, however, Herm Edwards was traded to the Chiefs 3 years later for a draft pick.

Totally different situation. In NY, they were at the end of Ryan's 4th year, and everyone expected him to make some changes to staff, or find himself fired as well. Rex made it known they were looking to make moves, and a change at DC was one of them.

We didnt poach them from a staff that just finished their first year and was attempting to add stability and continuity to a staff.

if i recall, wasnt pettine offered an extension and he declined it?