Jim O'Neil hired as Browns DC

BarleyNY

I would not make that deal. The Bills are under no obligation to let O'Neil go even though it is a promotion for him, and the other guys would just be making lateral moves. I say if they want him, give up a draft pick.

Yeah, I see your point, but at some point that just becomes bad business. It would make it harder down the road for Marrone to hire good coaches if they know they won't be allowed to grow and develop and move on at some point. I'm sure Marrone himself was in a position like this at one point in his career.

We had a good coordinator. Those guys move on. That's what it's like to have good people in your organization and it's a nice problem to have. This happens to teams every single year. We're just in shock here in Buffalo because clearly we haven't had many talented coaches in the last 15 years.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's also quite a bit different here with the Bill's compared to other teams. Someone pointed out how Green Bay didn't give teams permission to talk with Alex VanPelt, but to me that's completely different.

Here's the Bill's lost their DC, could have at least interviewed O'Neal for the vacant DC position, instead totally bypassed him and brought in a new guy who's styles might not even align that well with O'Neal, then to refuse to allow him to interview for a promotion that you wouldn't give him consideration for looks very unprofessional. If Pettine hadn't left and there wasn't any opening here that he'd been bypassed for, could see them refusing Cleveland, but not in this situation.

As has been pointed out, what goes around comes around, in this situation the Bill's did the correct hing and allow him to move on if he wants. Actually this was kind of similar to the Bobby April situation where he was bypassed and was not at all happy about it.

It's a bad idea to not let a guy go who wants to go especially if it is for promotion. Good luck getting other talented coaches if they believe you won't let them leave.

Marrone indicated in the press conference today that he (and Russ) want guys who want to be here. Made it very clear. I gather that Pettine's guys have said they want to go with him, and as they have only been there a year (and with Hafley, a couple weeks), it makes sense to let them move on.

Do we not put too much into coaches? Kyle Williams is going to do something different on the line with a new line coach?? Mario is going to rush harder with a new coach? Not an issue. Lets let the new team get there feet on the ground and not second guess them. It's football. A game. The players do the work. The coaches suggest and than call the plays. The players make the plays. Can't wait for Sept. 2014.

No. Yes. Yes.

Cheers,

Dave Wannstedt

CLEVELAND -- Browns coach Mike Pettine hired Jim O'Neil as his defensive coordinator on Monday, reuniting him with the coach who helped him turn around Buffalo's defense last season.

Pettine also retained special teams coordinator Chris Tabor from Rob Chudzinski's staff.

In addition, Pettine plucked assistants Chuck Driesbach (linebackers), Brian Fleury (assistant linebackers coach) and Jeff Hafley (secondary) off the staff he worked on in Buffalo as defensive coordinator.

he took half the damn staff

They were Pettine's men to help run his defensive scheme. Let Schwartz hire his own men to fit his scheme, as he has been around the league long enough to know who he wants.

Look at the talent in terms of draft picks on the current Bills defense, as 9 of 11 are 1st & 2nd round draft picks!

I would think that any DC or assistant coach in the league would jump at the chance to coach on this defense. Number 10 in total defense, #4 in pass defense & #2 in total sacks, #1 in total tackles, #2 in interceptions. Super Mario 13 sacks, Kyle Williams 10.5 sacks, Jerry Hughes 10 sacks, Marcell Dareus 7.5 sacks.

Just fix the frikken run the defense!

Welcome back, ole friend. That thing I said about not taking to non-10,000 posters-- all in jest. So where is that draft party, again?

Somewhere in the Albany/Saratoga area. As we get closer to draft we'll find a place. We can send a limo down to Pittsburgh to get you. :)

Banner's running a ****-show in Cleveland, and they did The Bills no favors in this. I hope Pettine does well there, but I'll leave it up to Schwartz, Maronne and Whaley who else they might allow to go.

Its a business.

Why are you all so supportive of Pettine?

He was a Jest for 4 years. Gave the Bills a quickie then moved on.

!@#$ Pettine and O'Neil they're basically strangers to the Buffalo Bills fans.

I hope they both crash and burn in Cleveland.

The team was still 6-10 and gave up a ton of points. He got a lot of sacks and INTs and that was a nice fling but it's time to stop the run and scoring.

I repeat !@#$ Pettine and !@#$ anyone that leaves the Bills after one year.

Edited by Why So Serious?

The team was still 6-10 and gave up a ton of points. He got a lot of sacks and INTs and that was a nice fling but it's time to stop the run and scoring.

Why So Serious?

What about when the Bills fire someone after one year?

Bills are in tough place, odds are that most assistants want to follow their promoted coordinator, because in the end, they get a promotion or a rung up in the pecking order of the coaching staff. In addition, odds are, they don't have a relationship with the new DC (in this case Schwartz) or visa versa, so, there is uncertainty at whether they'll mesh with scheme/style etc. So, the Bills will lose a good chunk of their coaching staff and they'll more than likely inherit a good chunk of Schwartz's Det coaching staff. That happens when a DC or OC leaves. Life goes on. I don't think it's a big deal. The BIG deal is whether Schwartz will be as good of a DC as Pettine.

And yet...your name is "Why So Serious?"....hmmmm, this is a mystery... :D

Bills are in tough place, odds are that most assistants want to follow their promoted coordinator, because in the end, they get a promotion or a rung up in the pecking order of the coaching staff. In addition, odds are, they don't have a relationship with the new DC (in this case Schwartz) or visa versa, so, there is uncertainty at whether they'll mesh with scheme/style etc. So, the Bills will lose a good chunk of their coaching staff and they'll more than likely inherit a good chunk of Schwartz's Det coaching staff. That happens when a DC or OC leaves. Life goes on. I don't think it's a big deal. The BIG deal is whether Schwartz will be as good of a DC as Pettine.

This

Sounds like the Bills have had time to sit down with the new DC and determine who they want to keep, and O'Neil isnt on the list. But if we're going to let him go anyways, we might as well secure the rest of the staff while we're at it. Another good move by the FO.

Agreed. The Bills seem to not want nor do they need a complete overhaul on the Defense.