Bills hire Jim Schwartz DC, Todd Downing QB coach

FluffHead

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So let me get this straight, we lined up Mario, Kyle, Dareus and Branch on run downs, and replaced Branch with Jerry Hughes on passing downs where 99% of the time he lined up on the LOS and rushed the passer at the snap like a bat outta hell. We started and played three LBs almost every play, except when we played two with an extra DB, including Kiko in the middle, usually Lawson and either Moats or Bradham on the other OLB positions, but we're a 3-4 and OMG we're screwed with a 4-3 guy coming in?

:wallbash:

Edited by Kelly the Dog

So let me get this straight, we lined up Mario, Kyle, Dareus and Branch on run downs, and replaced Branch with Jerry Hughes on passing downs where 99% of the time he lined up on the LOS and rushed the passer at the snap like a bat outta hell. We started and played three LBs almost every play, except when we played two with an extra DB, including Kiko in the middle, usually Lawson and either Moats or Bradham on the other OLB positions, but we're a 3-4 and OMG we're screwed with a 4-3 guy coming in?

I wish there was a way to nominate a post to be considered required reading. If there was?

I would nominate this post.

Imagine all of the nonsense, spawned by ignorance of the facts, that we will have to endure about 3-4 4-3, for literally months :rolleyes:...the draft :wallbash:.... that could be avoided right here and now, if we had that feature?

EDIT: Now since it's me? I also wish there was a way that, if people persisted in their nonsense, you could push a button and nominate them for the "remedial reading class", whose syllabus is the required reading. :lol: But, I imagine that would make too much sense, and hurt to many delicate feelings.

EDIT 2: See? Here is exactly what you are talking about: http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/165468-3-4-hybrid-to-a-4-3and-keeping-danny-crossman/

Edited by OCinBuffalo

They'll go in house, they said. There's no way we'll change defensive scheme for the 4th time in 4 years, they said.

Bye bye Byrdy, complained about switching schemes and now this? Gone.

He more so complained about switching coaches.

:thumbsup:

May the Schwartz be with us!

I think the Bills chose the best of available DC's out there. Although I'm not a big fan of the "wide-nine" defense Schwartz installed in Detroit.

I'm more of a fan in where they guy got his roots from in the NFL, as he was an assistant under Bill Belichick. He then worked as the Titans DC under Jeff Fisher who cut his teeth with Buddy Ryan and his famous 46 defense.

The thing is that the "wide-nine" defense gives way to the run game in favor of rushing the passer. Yet the 46 stops the run and forces the opposing team into passing. It should be interesting what Schwartz does in Buffalo.

I like the hire tho :thumbsup:

EDIT:

Just to give some insight. Schwartz was hired away from Tennessee after the 2008 season.

In 2009 the Titans then fell to 28th in pts & 28th in yards without him.

2008 #2 in points & #7 in yards allowed- 3 players in the secondary made the pro bowl

2007 #8 in points & #8 in yards allowed- Albert Haynesworth- Kyle Vanden Bosch both moved to the right side.

2006 #31 in points & #32 in yards allowed

2005 #29 in points & #19 in yards allowed

2004 #30 in points & #27 in yards allowed- Moved Kevin Carter off LDE, and lost RDE Jevon Kearse

2003 #13 in points & #12 in yards allowed

2002 #11 in points & #10 in yards allowed

2001 #25 in points & #25 in yards allowed Schwartz the DC

2000 #2 in points & # 1 in yards allowed under Gregg Williams DC- Note* Schwartz was the LBers coach

1999 #15 in points & #17 in yards allowed Williams DC & Schwartz defensive assistant

1998 #12 & #16

1997 #12 & #22

As for the QB coach hire Todd Downing. He certainly should help tutoring all those young QB's

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2014/1/24/5343462/buffalo-bills-add-todd-downing-as-quarterback-coach

Edited by FeartheLosing

Schwartz is a solid DC . He is all set financially after being a HC and dealing with that intense pressure. Now he can enjoy what he is best at. He can use his experience to help Marrone.

Downing as QB coach also looks good , 3rd Detroit coach here should help them be more at home.

http://www.buffalobi...80-a82acbda1ae5

Edited by ALF

Curious if he tries to bring suh with him.

Tough to really have an opinion on this. The bills were awful against the run with pettine so if we can stay aggressive against the qb and improve our run D I will be satisfied.

Maybe Schwartz was in over his head as a HC and is better suited as a DC

Interesting that all around the NFL.....writers, coaches...players...etc like this hire but Bills fans do not.

That means it will workout great! I for one like the hire! With the opening so late into the coaching carousel there was not a tremendous amount of options out there. Had we waited to maybe talk to the guy in Seattle there is no guarantee he would take it. Considering what was out there this is an excellent choice.

I know people like to point to average points per game as an indicator if a defensive unit is good, but I like to look at % of drives ending in scores and average points per drive. Here's how Schwartz has faired as DC:

2002 - % of DEIS: 27.1(5th in NFL) APD: 1.58(8th in NFL)

2003 - % of DEIS: 29.8(15th in NFL) APD: 1.53(12th in NFL)

2004 - % of DEIS: 36.5(26th in NFL) APD: 2.07(28th in NFL)

2005 - % of DEIS: 33.8(23rd in NFL) APD: 1.94(27th in NFL)

2006 - % of DEIS: 37.3(27th in NFL) APD: 2.06(29th in NFL)

2007 - % of DEIS: 27.3(7th in NFL) APD: 1.52(11th in NFL)

2008 - % of DEIS: 23.2(2nd in NFL) APD: 1.21(3rd in NFL)

It's a mixed bag really. What look like some good defensive units sandwich a 3 year period of bad defenses. The 2007, 2008 defenses were top 5 in the league. Overall, the Titans from 2004-06 were a pretty bad teams overall to begin with, these were on the downside of McNair's career and Billy Volek was getting time at QB. 2006 was Vince's Young's rookie year.

I'm happy the Bills went outt and executed their plan and got "their guy". I can't really ask for more than that. Could they have gone a different way? Sure, and people/fans would still be upset. We'll just have to see how this plays out. Maybe Schwartz thinks he needs to prove himself again after his failed stint as HC.

BTW, his defensive units in Detroit, besides his first year, didn't finish below 15 in both % of scoring drive ending in points and average points per drive. I don't really think this says much about his DC abilities, but at least they were top half of he league.

In a span of what 3 days? He's been beaten to the punch by Schefter, Rappaport, Ryan Talbot, and the New Orleans Pelicans play by play guy.

45172881.jpg

2 of the 3 30+ and 4 of the 20+ scoring defenses were in TEN, 2 of the 20+ and the 30+ run defense were in TEN. He had good years there too and talent does matter but he but up some crap as well.

As I said early, I remember my gut being that he was a good not GREAT coordinator and his head coach search might've been aided a bit by Jeff fisher being on his side. All the stats you've been bringing kind of back that. I'm ok with a decent and well experienced guy in the position but I also think that he will at times frustrate.

I know people like to point to average points per game as an indicator if a defensive unit is good, but I like to look at % of drives ending in scores and average points per drive. Here's how Schwartz has faired as DC:

2002 - % of DEIS: 27.1(5th in NFL) APD: 1.58(8th in NFL)

2003 - % of DEIS: 29.8(15th in NFL) APD: 1.53(12th in NFL)

2004 - % of DEIS: 36.5(26th in NFL) APD: 2.07(28th in NFL)

2005 - % of DEIS: 33.8(23rd in NFL) APD: 1.94(27th in NFL)

2006 - % of DEIS: 37.3(27th in NFL) APD: 2.06(29th in NFL)

2007 - % of DEIS: 27.3(7th in NFL) APD: 1.52(11th in NFL)

2008 - % of DEIS: 23.2(2nd in NFL) APD: 1.21(3rd in NFL)

It's a mixed bag really. What look like some good defensive units sandwich a 3 year period of bad defenses. The 2007, 2008 defenses were top 5 in the league. Overall, the Titans from 2004-06 were a pretty bad teams overall to begin with, these were on the downside of McNair's career and Billy Volek was getting time at QB. 2006 was Vince's Young's rookie year.

I'm happy the Bills went outt and executed their plan and got "their guy". I can't really ask for more than that. Could they have gone a different way? Sure, and people/fans would still be upset. We'll just have to see how this plays out. Maybe Schwartz thinks he needs to prove himself again after his failed stint as HC.

BTW, his defensive units in Detroit, besides his first year, didn't finish below 15 in both % of scoring drive ending in points and average points per drive. I don't really think this says much about his DC abilities, but at least they were top half of he league.

I think another fair assessment.

I am cool with Schwartz...was hoping for somebody a little more accomplished for the QB job. A "guru" type. Downig has been in the NFL coaching ranks for 12 years, but is only 33. I guess that is not a big deal, but the biggest criticism of Matt Stafford has been poor mechanics...EJ's biggest issue.

But hell, what do I know?

I've strayed away from the downing talk but spot on. It's a case of hoping the common sense on him doesn't prove right. I'm not able to say he's the wrong guy but honestly nothing on his résumé proves he's not, it simply suggests that he's not and he's young enough that suggests is about as firm as we can get. I've seen a few mentions of anyone being better than no one and I'm not sure that's true. He will have some hard work ahead and I hope he's ready for it. If he can sharpen ejs mechanics it'll be huge but it's not easy and could be the single biggest task of this coaching staffs tenure (he certainly won't be solo in his efforts)

Sometimes the obvious concerns prove very valid, sometimes we learn stafford is a lazy jerk that doesn't want to work on mechanics.

Edited by NoSaint

In the words of the great Dick Jauron, "players play." And that may be the best thing he ever said on camera....But I digress.

Schwartz arguably has better talent (top-to-bottom including Byrd which I know is a ? mark) than he ever had in Detroit.