Roger Goodell: NFL will explore eliminating the extra point

papazoid

This is a good idea, and at the very least, a good start and I am surprised that I am only the 4th person to reference it through 4 pages.

That's because "kicking in the NFL has become too easy" has been beaten to death in two other recent threads dedicated to this exact topic.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Snap it 2 yards and then watch it get blocked - by your center's behind. Don't think that's gonna happen.

You misunderstood. I am talking about snapping longer than the normal 7 yard distance to get the extra point for the 50 yarder. If teams had kickers that were good enough or if the score was such that it made sense then teams would do it. Terrible idea.

You misunderstood. I am talking about snapping longer than the normal 7 yard distance to get the extra point for the 50 yarder. If teams had kickers that were good enough or if the score was such that it made sense then teams would do it. Terrible idea.

D'oh, I knew I didn't think that one through - couldn't figure out what you meant, but pretty obvious now - my apologies.

I agree - just move the extra points back a ways & I also agree that FGs over 50 yrds should be 4 points.

I'm all into fairness, and I always thought that a field goal is a reward for gaining ground but not quite making it to the end zone.............This would totally defeat that purpose.

That's because "kicking in the NFL has become too easy" has been beaten to death in two other recent threads dedicated to this exact topic.

I hear ya, WEO, but kicking in some way should at least be the starting point for change.

Hell, if you want it to be exciting have the line of scrimmage for extra points be at the 25. I am not sure that would fall under the "too easy" moniker as much.

Don't tell me your back side wouldn't clench up when they lined up for that one pointer!

:P

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

Jim Rome mocked this yesterday and said, "why not have whoever scores be the person that has to make the kick, Tom Brady scored a few weeks ago lets make him kick, that should make it not boring"

In my view if it isn't broke why fix it, NFL has the highest ratings of any sport. I've never heard anyone say the extra point is why they don't watch the game. It's like having a hot girl friend/wife and you complain that maybe it would be better if..... we all know where that leads!

So do something so the extra point kick isn't so almost automatic. Moving the spot for the extra point further back would allow the chance to get more blocks.

Did I mention that I love blocked kicks...

Fandemonium: Tell it to Fred Smerlas who blocked a FG in a 9-6 OT win in 1986 against the Jets in a torrential 40 degree downpour. That win allowed the Bills to be the first ever NFL team to win the division after only 12 games.

http://books.google....emonium&f=false

Setting up for the extra point and kick can take a minute or so, maybe more if there is a penalty.

NOW The NETWORK can immediately cut away after a TD.....

I suppose the 5-10 extra minutes of commercial time (per game) has noting to do with it huh ???

This would mean another 20 million in revenue for the Superbowl alone.

Think about it.....

Edited by HOUSE

and now Roger Goodell said Thursday that if medical experts were ever able to show that medical marijuana could help treat concussions, he would consider allowing players to use it. Goodell's remarks were similar to his recent comments on the matter.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24417980/goodell-would-consider-medical-marijuana-if-helps-treat-concussions

New Rule Change

Kickers must do a Bong hit and THEN kick an extra point !

Get rid of that and the kickoff and you'd eliminate about 20% of downtime commercials.

+1. Totally agree. Extra Points and Kickoffs are meaningless garbage plays with ads in between. NFL is losing people's TV interest in addition to having a lousy in stadium experience (unless you are mainly to party). I now record games and begin watching 40 minutes after kickoff so I can fast forward through all the garbage dead time. Gets me all the way to the start of the second half where ad breaks are fewer. Especially if there is an injury delay or red flag delay.

I wasn't sure about this idea at first, but the more I've thought about, the more I like it. Not sure why the extra point was ever added in the first place when you think about it, it really doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Having said that, I think the idea of creating a 2-point try (losing one or adding one) provides additional options to HC's and allows games to be tighter, longer, which I like. I think the thing I don't like is the virtual elimination of kick returns. I know the NFL says it's for player safety, but it tends to get ridiculous and kick returns are some of the most exciting plays. I'd like to see them move the kickoff back 5 yards

IMO, they should move back the xtra point to the 33 yard line to make it a 50 yard kick. Very makeable but not automatic at all. Then because of that, coaches may feel going for a 2 point conversion is easier, so move the 2 point conversion back to the 5 or 10 yard line.

Also I think the rosters should only be allowed to have 1 kicker on the team. A guy may have a great FG/KO leg but isn't to good a punter or vice versa. Would be more interesting that's for sure.