What's the plan for next year?

Virgil

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Marrone touched on it in the post game press conference. The team and the lack of discipline. We have seen it all through the season. Blown assignments, lost tempers, bad penalties and poor decisions. This team does have talent, unlike past years. The draft can bring in needed up grade in talent and make a few assistant coach changes but the MENALITY of the team needs an overhaul.

Upgrade at TE. Chandler to TE2/red zone threat. If the draft then Ebron or Seferian-Jenkins. If a free agent, Greg Olsen.

Upgrade the Bradham/Moats LB spot with another stud. Khalil Mack or CJ Mosley for example.

Upgrade at LG and RT. Plug the holes.

OL and DL depth. You saw the first half tonight without Dareus on the field. Run after run after run right up the gut. The backups are not good.

Agree with you, but to me the run D is first priority. I’m tired of seeing average RB’s look like Jim Brown highlights. So my first pick is the best front 7 defensive stud we can get. They HAVE to spend some money in FA. Re-sign Byrd. Sign a TE: Pitta, Pettigrew. And a couple OLineman.

Have we seen enough of EJ to say that the future is with him or we need to bring in some legit competition (Maybe even 1st round competition)

What's the point of all these sacks and interceptions if you can't stop the run? We may sack the quarterback on first and second down, but give up a 50 yard bomb on third. So what do we fix? We have a monster D-Line and possible the DROY at LB, so what's the fix?

Do we re-sign Carpenter or keep the kid we drafted (To me, it's a no-brainer, but with the Bills....)

What's the deal at WR? We can't exactly just cut Stevie. We just spend a 2nd rounder on Woods. What then, draft a WR and bump those guys down a notch?

Yes, we need a TE, but is that the difference maker on offense?

We had the 3rd best offensive rushing attack, so you can't say our O-Line is that bad. And even if you upgrade a few spots, was that really what was holding us back?

I just don't know what I'm supposed to be hoping for this offseason to get excited for next year....

Absolutely KEEP Carpenter. Add a big physical WR and another TE to compete with Stevie & Chandler, upgrade the guard positions, bring in a solid veteran QB to help EJ & Thad develop, put Hackett on the hot seat for next year, and for Christ's sake GET A REAL ST COACH!!!! Crossman is #2 right behind Ronnie Jones as the worst Special Teams coach in team history

For those of you saying, all we need is a [LG, LB, WR, TE, etc.], please stop deluding yourself. If you put Jimmy Graham on this team, we would still be 6-10. If you put Megatron on this team, we would still be 6-10. If you put Ray Lewis in his prime on this team, we would still be 6-10.

What we need is the type of divine intervention that the Patriots received when they lucked into a hall of fame QB. That's it. So, let's all start praying.

For those of you saying, all we need is a [LG, LB, WR, TE, etc.], please stop deluding yourself. If you put Jimmy Graham on this team, we would still be 6-10. If you put Megatron on this team, we would still be 6-10. If you put Ray Lewis in his prime on this team, we would still be 6-10.

What we need is the type of divine intervention that the Patriots received when they lucked into a hall of fame QB. That's it. So, let's all start praying.

Don't disagree with your premise as a Franchise QB would cure a lot, but for what we can realistically expect - it ain't happening this year! LG is terrible, a big time WR or TE would help out a lot when we do find the Franchise guy. We could use another LB, but I think a big nasty NT is the way to go....

Don't disagree with your premise as a Franchise QB would cure a lot, but for what we can realistically expect - it ain't happening this year! LG is terrible, a big time WR or TE would help out a lot when we do find the Franchise guy. We could use another LB, but I think a big nasty NT is the way to go....

I hear ya.

You know, the more I think about it, the more I believe that you need to identify a core of clutch players/winners and build around them. It may not be popular to start creating holes, but I don't want guys on my team that drop easy passes, or fumble in crucial situations, or jump offsides on FG's. I think we almost need to start by getting rid of the "losers," and build around guys that have either won or have the mental framework to be winners.

What does that mean? I think it means cutting or trading guys like Graham, Chandler, Stevie, Dareus, etc. We will never win with these guys.

I hear ya.

You know, the more I think about it, the more I believe that you need to identify a core of clutch players/winners and build around them. It may not be popular to start creating holes, but I don't want guys on my team that drop easy passes, or fumble in crucial situations, or jump offsides on FG's. I think we almost need to start by getting rid of the "losers," and build around guys that have either won or have the mental framework to be winners.

What does that mean? I think it means cutting or trading guys like Graham, Chandler, Stevie, Dareus, etc. We will never win with these guys.

I posted this in Bill's thread, but Talley had a few tweets saying that they need a leader on the field. Tim Graham has an article up talking with Freddie about Dareus. Getting rid of the losing stench is not going to be easy and I worry that it may be ingrained in some players. Being in numerous managerial positions throughout the years, you have to realize that not everyone is motivated, have similar work ethics, only there for a pay check and you either have to reach them (very hard to do at times), get rid of them (easier to do) or change the culture around them and hope that they eventually buy in (unlikely). You may be very right about needing to dumping some of these players. Trying to wait for players to come around isn't conducive to the world of sports, when the goal is to win now.

The big take away seems to be a lack of accountability between everyone and honestly that is concerning as hell. I think what separates us from other winning teams is that they find guys who love football (we used to have that). Aside from Kyle Williams, Wood and Freddie - who do we have that loves football?

I don't think Sj loves it, Dareus doesn't love it, etc....

I am not sure that a rookie or second year player will grab the ear of a vet. I think your best bet is to overpay a bit in FA and bring in that veteran respected leader. The question is, who is out there and can we realistically get them....

you would think that was some of the guys that we have on our team EJ Manuel went to Florida State they're going to play for the national championship this year.

Cordy Glenn went to Georgia they're a 9 or 10 win team. Robert Woods went to USC in the national championship game a few years ago, alright Kiko Alonso played for Oregon there always a 10 11 12 win team playing for national title.

What happens when somebody puts on that Buffalo Bills, is the inferiority built right in, and the its ok to lose mentality seeps in.

All the WNY negativity , the 14 years of no playoffs Homerun throwback, wide right or any other excruciating loss from the Cowboys on Monday night, to the two touchdowns we gave up against the Patriots several years ago when Leodis muffed the kickoff.

The pain in Buffalo never seems to end.,..

When is Russ announcing that the Bills aren't renewing the Toronto contract?

I am not sure that a rookie or second year player will grab the ear of a vet. I think your best bet is to overpay a bit in FA and bring in that veteran respected leader. The question is, who is out there and can we realistically get them....

Richie Incognito is that man.

A couple discussions about this topic or similar going on right now, here were my thoughts from another one:

Here's my offseason checklist:

Bills Free Agents (all predicated on each player agreeing to these things):

1) Re-sign Byrd. It's a must. He's a stud and a top-3 FS in the league, so pay him like one.

2) Re-sign Carrington for a low guarantee, incentive laden deal.

3) Chandler, eh..whatever. If he dies, he dies.

Positions to fill in free-agency:

1) Bring in a Guard. Doesn't have to be an All-Pro, but someone who's average or slightly better. Just better than what we have.

2) Target Hakeem Nicks if he becomes available. He's young, productive, and exactly what Buffalo needs in terms of size. He's been hurt, but we have to take some risks.

3) Bring in a linebacker for depth.

4) Possibly a veteran QB backup. I think Thad is ok and wouldn't be disgusted if they went into the season with him as backup, but there's room for improvement.

Draft:

1) Gotta focus on offense, early. I think we need another big WR, no matter what we do in FA. Not sure if I like the guys at the top of the first round for that, but in the first few rounds try and get a big WR.

2) Also in Round 2 or 3 target a high-upside QB. If Mettenberger or someone like that falls in Round 2 or 3 to Buffalo, he'd be a good insurance policy for EJ.

3) Get some Oline depth in Rounds 3 - 5. (not all the rounds, just get a guy somewhere in there).

Couldn't agree more with this thought JR... they need to aggressively pursue their franchise QB (if they believe he exists in this year's draft class), even if they need to trade up. It's not ingoring other needs and "giving up on EJ"... it's hedging our bets in a smart way, and not subjecting us to 1.5-2 more years of spinning our wheels.

I think your best bet is to overpay a bit in FA and bring in that veteran respected leader. The question is, who is out there and can we realistically get them....

The Bills need to assess the available free agent veteran QB's available bring one of them in to be that leader and potential starter should EJ not improve enough to earn the starting job. They can't devote season-two of the Marrone era to another year of on-the-job rookie QB training experiment. That is what this season was supposed to be about but injuries and the missed playing time didn't let that happen. Year one was about putting in the foundation, year two is about seeing some success and pushing for the playoffs not repeating the failed mission of training a QB while another season of every other players careers are wasted.

Year two is about results and not promise, period. Nothing less.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

Random thoughts.

* Fire Danny Crossman.

* Hire a good QB coach. A really good one. Someone who can not only help our young QBs but also our young OC.

* Sign Byrd.

* Draft another QB (in case, EJ doesn't develop), more WRs and both a Guard and Tackle. Our O Line needs to get better at opening holes for our RBs.