Please explain the Cutler facination

PromoTheRobot

Jay Cutler is going to be a free agent in 2014. I've heard his name mentioned as a player the Bills should target. But to me Cutler is just another version of Fitz, except he was drafted higher and comes with a little more hype. Cutler and Fitz are having virtually identical stat years in 2013. So I ask: why on earth would anyone consider signing Jay Cutler to the Bills?

PTR

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jay Cutler is going to be a free agent in 2014. I've heard his name mentioned as a player the Bills should target. But to me Cutler is just another version of Fitz, except he was drafted higher and comes with a little more hype. Cutler and Fitz are having virtually identical stat years in 2013. So I ask: why on earth would anyone consider signing Jay Cutler to the Bills?

PTR

He is a flashy bigger named toy that might get the Bills mentioned on Sportscenter a few more times

Plus IIRC, his wife is very good looking and a minor celebrity

Jay Cutler is a "gunslinger" very much like Fitz in that they both take chances trying to fit the ball into small windows. The difference is that Cuter has the arm to make every NFL throw, and then some.

That O line in Chicago has been horrid the last few years, so the guy is always injured. Then you have that lame Mike Martz offense he was in for so long. I can see Cutler going to a super bowl under new HC MarcTrestman

Jay Cutler is a good (not elite) NFL QB. (If you truly can't see the difference in talent between Cutler and Fitz, then I don't know what to tell you.)

The Bills have not had good NFL QB in over 20 years (save maybe 8 games with Bledsoe)

The Bills do not yet know what they have in EJ Manuel

Therefore, the Bills should target Jay Cutler if he becomes available in the offseason. He is a proven NFL starting QB. I do not believe he will be available, though. I'd say he likely either works out a deal with CHI or is tagged and then a sign/trade deal to somewhere he wants to land. The Bills had a better shot at Alex Smith last offseason than they will have with Cutler. I don't think there has been any "fascination" with Cutler, just that his name has been mentioned a few times. What I truly don't understand is the amount of fans who say "EJ will never be good, so lets replace him with another unproven draft pick because player X will truly be amazing in the NFL!" Yet when a proven NFL starter is mentioned as a possible addition, it is always "but THAT guy isn't good enough/stinks/ is a d-bag/ is the same as Fitz". I mean, the Bills were never in the running to land Peyton Manning. This has been a QB starved franchise, so it should not be surprising when a good, proven NFL starting QB might be available that the Bills are mentioned as possible suitors. You either stick with the drafted guy or you add a veteran. It's way too soon for another draft pick at QB.

Ok, maybe it just seems like over 20 years. Let's say 17 years.....ALMOST 20

Jay Cutler is a good (not elite) NFL QB. (If you truly can't see the difference in talent between Cutler and Fitz, then I don't know what to tell you.)

The Bills have not had good NFL QB in over 20 years (save maybe 8 games with Bledsoe)

Therefore, the Bills should target Jay Cutler if he becomes available in the offseason.

I disagree with getting him. He does remind me a tad of Bledsoe but with a poorer attitude. When Cutler went down, McCown ran the offense with not much loss in beat. That itself should indicate how Cutler has done less with a lot more at his disposal. Till 2 seasons back, there may hvae been valid reasons - OL, lack of targets etc but not since last year and definitely not this year. He has done fairly well this season but nothing to distinguish himself from McCown. The Bears D has been pretty bad this year and perhaps the Bears could have gone much farther with a half way decent D. Despite that, there is little evidence to say that Cutler was worth all that the Bears gave up for him in terms of draft picks and resources around him.

I still think the Bears will make only a nominal effort to retain him. I do agree that we don't know what we have in EJ (quite a shame after a full season) but the Bills should look elsewhere to challenge/backup EJ.

How many years since the Bills have been to the playoffs? Enough said. Has Jay ever taken a team to the playoffs? Don't worry, we have JP! Draft 'Lil Donte!

Oh... Remember Jay's first game as a pro? A rook, first game? Yeah... Let's forget that!

All the marbles will be on the table w/Cutler this Sunday... That will decide it, IMO... He craps the bed, easier to part ways? Remember what they were saying about Pat Kane before the 'Hawks won their second Cup? They were ready to run Kane outta town!

Someone will over pay for Cutler. Hopefully not Buffalo. He's fragile and is not known for his leadership skills.

I don't know if I'd go so far as to call him fragile. He's had a couple injuries, but let's not forget, he's been running for his life with that putrid offensive line. I will agree with the lack of leadership sentiment though. Who knows what he is like behind the scenes, but he comes across as aloof on the football field. The Bills do not need that type of player with such a young team. Watching Cutler after a bad play saunter over to the bench with a smug look on his face is comical.

The primary advantage to signing Cutler or another good veteran is to avoid using another high pick on a QB. The team still has lots of needs in other positions, and while we did have injuries at some positions we avoided them in others so our lack of quality depth didn't hurt as much as it could have. The Bills need to get on track with solid drafts, hoping for another gold mine like this past year, fix their salary structure, and take their chances.

I am not convinced about Manuel. Why the heck not take those shots? I think the coaches are holding him back, looking to expand his game next year. That's OK, could work out, but there's also Manuel's frequent injuries to think about. Thad Lewis is a valid 3rd stringer but there's no way he should have started so many games. Whether Manuel or the veteran they bring in will work out better probably depends on who can stand up on any given day.

Not to make excuses for Cutler. He was doing well in Denver when Chicago traded for him. Gave up way too much. Made Denver a stronger team in the long run. Made Chicago a weaker team in the short and medium run. So Cutler gets dropped into a collapsing system in Chicago and still gets thinigs to work fairly well. He still has a cannon for an arm and several years experience with several years left in the tank.

Edited by Utah John

He would be a substantial upgrade at QB from what we have now which does make this team better. EJ could probably learn a lot from him too.

But, I doubt the Bills will pay the price he would command. And I am not sure he would be worth that much either. And his style of QB is different than what Hackett wants to run. So the Bills would probably need to do some redesign there too.

For those reasons, I doubt he ever gets serious consideration here even if he does hit the market. But yes, he would be a big upgrade over what we have now. And yes the Bills would be much more likely to make a playoff run in my opinion.

A lot may be said whether the Bears win on Sunday and if so, how deep they go into the playoffs. If the Bears lose (thereby missing the playoffs) the sentiment will certainly be to off load him. The local fan base here is astute enough to understand the Bears woes are hardly Cutler's fault alone. However, there is not widespread love for the guy.

He is an upgrade over the current situation in Buffalo but the whole situation reminds me of the Bledsoe failure. I think it would be like an adrenaline shot if he were acquired by the Bills there could be short-lived remarkable improvement. Long-term who knows what would happen. If the Bills want to play win-now and the hell with the down the road scenarios they will go after him assuming he is available.

It is a bet your head coaching job sort of decision.

Therefore, the Bills should target Jay Cutler if he becomes available in the offseason. He is a proven NFL starting QB. I do not believe he will be available, though. I'd say he likely either works out a deal with CHI or is tagged and then a sign/trade deal to somewhere he wants to land. The Bills had a better shot at Alex Smith last offseason than they will have with Cutler. I don't think there has been any "fascination" with Cutler, just that his name has been mentioned a few times. What I truly don't understand is the amount of fans who say "EJ will never be good, so lets replace him with another unproven draft pick because player X will truly be amazing in the NFL!" Yet when a proven NFL starter is mentioned as a possible addition, it is always "but THAT guy isn't good enough/stinks/ is a d-bag/ is the same as Fitz". I mean, the Bills were never in the running to land Peyton Manning. This has been a QB starved franchise, so it should not be surprising when a good, proven NFL starting QB might be available that the Bills are mentioned as possible suitors. You either stick with the drafted guy or you add a veteran. It's way too soon for another draft pick at QB.

Ok, maybe it just seems like over 20 years. Let's say 17 years.....ALMOST 20

And yet this guy had never won anything, and has never come through in a big game. To me he is the definition of average.

PTR

He would be a substantial upgrade at QB from what we have now which does make this team better. EJ could probably learn a lot from him too.

But, I doubt the Bills will pay the price he would command. And I am not sure he would be worth that much either. And his style of QB is different than what Hackett wants to run. So the Bills would probably need to do some redesign there too.

For those reasons, I doubt he ever gets serious consideration here even if he does hit the market. But yes, he would be a big upgrade over what we have now. And yes the Bills would be much more likely to make a playoff run in my opinion.

What the hell would EJ learn from Cutler? How to throw terrible ints? How to shove your teammates in the back? How to act like a complete douche?

I love how some what to run EJ out of town and then turn around and want Cutler. Jay Cutler who had gone to the playoffs once in his career. Jay Cutler who shouldn't have gotten his job back from Josh McCown.

But I guess there were fans who wanted Jeff George.