Alan Branch Signs Extension

FluffHead

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as Spiller goes, we'll have to agree to disagree. Spiller is much better than he was this year, and this is the year to extend him rather than release him. IMO

Not to steer away from the Branch theme, but I am just in the belief that the value of the RB is important but not more then a 1st round pick. Regardless if I am New Orleans or Seattle. I would trade any RB on my roster at any time for a 1st round pick at any time.

I heard someone say it on WGR many weeks ago and thought about it for a while, stunned to find I agree.

Not to steer away from the Branch theme, but I am just in the belief that the value of the RB is important but not more then a 1st round pick. Regardless if I am New Orleans or Seattle. I would trade any RB on my roster at any time for a 1st round pick at any time.

I heard someone say it on WGR many weeks ago and thought about it for a while, stunned to find I agree.

I don't think Seattle would part with Lynch for anything. Their offense runs through their RB. Edited by JaxBills

Great move and I would think it takes some leverage away from Carrington (more importantly Eugene Parker).

Next up: Byrd!!!!

I hope. And the less leverage Parker has, the better

Great move. The D-Line is a strength of this team and Branch is a big reason behind that.

In terms of who this leaves for deals next offseason.. big names will include Scott Chandler, Jairus Byrd, and Carrington.

Hughes is signed until 2015 (1 more season) and Lawson is on a 4 year deal.

The man doesn't have the sexiest of positions, and if Carrington is ready to go I think its a tough call as to who should be playing, but the man has done a great job as a gap plugger. It also convinces me that we aren't going to try to fill the spot with a draft pick, which is a load off my mind.

Strategically, Carrington's best career move is likely going to be signing a 1-year "prove it" deal with Buffalo, where he knows the team, players, and system, and can be comfortable with his situation. Sign a 1-year deal, put together a solid year, and get the big money next off-season.

That's how I'd advise him.

I would love to see that. He's always had bad luck with system changes, and he was finally in one that looked to suit his unique talents before he got hurt. I would love to see a full, healthy squad and an extra year to get used to the system.

I don't think Seattle would part with Lynch for anything. Their offense runs through their RB.

At this point, no. It's too late to trade him, but this off season before the draft - they could. By the draft they could lose a few of their best players and need major help. They could get someone to come in and perform. Think Jacque Bell. Reggie Bush goes down, Bell comes up.

A good offense doesn't rely on a great back any more. It really bothers me, too. And I really expect it to change. The RB is not worth much anymore.

I hope. And the less leverage Parker has, the better

The man doesn't have the sexiest of positions, and if Carrington is ready to go I think its a tough call as to who should be playing, but the man has done a great job as a gap plugger. It also convinces me that we aren't going to try to fill the spot with a draft pick, which is a load off my mind.

I would love to see that. He's always had bad luck with system changes, and he was finally in one that looked to suit his unique talents before he got hurt. I would love to see a full, healthy squad and an extra year to get used to the system.

While I was purely analyzing the situation from a what-makes-the-most-sense-for-the-player perspective, I'd like to see it as well

Agree with both of you. I just meant that if Parker holds some acrimony toward the Bills as a result of Byrd's negotiations, he may attempt to steer Carrington toward another team, or simply flat out refuse to entertain offers from Buffalo. I don't think it's likely, as Carrington's best bet is likely the one year deal described here, I was simply wondering out loud if a hypothetical impasse crossed Buffalo's mind in re-inking Branch.

Branch certainly deserves the extension on his own merit, and I assume Carrington's status didn't impact the decision. I just love a good conspiracy theory.

If Parker refused to negotiate with the Bills, or if he tried to punish the team for the Byrd situation, he would be in violation of his fiduciary responsibility and could open himself up to losing his license with the NFL as well as facing a lawsuit and potentially jail time.

Solid player and the gets rewarded for his play. Glad to see him returning next season, The defense needs another ILB and CB depth but it is a good group, the back bone of the Bills heading into the next season.

If Parker refused to negotiate with the Bills, or if he tried to punish the team for the Byrd situation, he would be in violation of his fiduciary responsibility and could open himself up to losing his license with the NFL as well as facing a lawsuit and potentially jail time.

Under what criminal statute?

He could potentially be guilty of malpractice, but that'd be adjudicated in civil court.

At this point, no. It's too late to trade him, but this off season before the draft - they could. By the draft they could lose a few of their best players and need major help. They could get someone to come in and perform. Think Jacque Bell. Reggie Bush goes down, Bell comes up.

A good offense doesn't rely on a great back any more. It really bothers me, too. And I really expect it to change. The RB is not worth much anymore.

as a generalization you're right. But I don't think it can be a blanket for every team. Spiller or Bush were/ are not comparable to Lynch.

I would still like to resign him, but this would appear to give the Bills the real negotiating power now. If he continues to ask for too much, perhaps the saved money could go to that guy named Byrd.

If he continues to ask for too much? You mean Carrington? I don’t think there’s been any news about what he does/doesn’t want. Unless I missed something.