Alan Branch Signs Extension

FluffHead

It of course now raises the question about Carrington.

I would still like to resign him, but this would appear to give the Bills the real negotiating power now. If he continues to ask for too much, perhaps the saved money could go to that guy named Byrd.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills began the process of addressing their upcoming free agent decisions re-signing one of their veteran defensive linemen Monday. Alan Branchicon-article-link.gif re-signed with Buffalo agreeing to a new contract with the club.

Branch, who signed as a free agent this past offseason, was playing the 2013 season on a one-year deal. The veteran run stuffer proved to be a reliable asset on Buffalo’s defensive line especially after the team lost starterAlex Carringtonicon-article-link.gif for the season to a torn quadriceps in Week 3.

The seven-year vet, who will celebrate his 29th birthday in Sunday’s season finale at New England, has expressed a desire to stay in Buffalo beyond this season more than once. He likes the group of players around him and doesn’t mind doing the dirty work on what is currently the eighth-ranked defense in the NFL.

“I like to stop the run and get out there and get my nose dirty,” Branch said recently. “Sometimes you have stats, sometimes you don’t. As long as we win I’m happy.”

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/DL-Alan-Branch-signs-extension-with-Bills/72db05dd-5f02-4b23-828b-cc5d75f28094

This guy is expensive though. Is he really worth it? I just don't want the FO saying they can't sign Byrd or someone else because there's no money left

there is soooooo much money left. this boards fear of spending is often worse than the front offices. we are allowed to sign good players and build a strong roster that can compete with all the other teams that get the "how can they afford that" posts

It of course now raises the question about Carrington.

I don't view it that way at all. There is nothing at all wrong with having quality depth at a position which utilizes rotations; also I think it's important to note that Branch and Carrington's roles are very different. Carrington was a rotational DE/DT, while Branch's roll has been much more situational and consistent.

I havent seen any numbers released yet. What do you have?

Haven't seen any either. I wonder if Carrington is gone. Parker is his agent and maybe Bills anticipate tough (or non existent) negotiations. Then again, as well as he's played when healthy, Carrington is in a tough spot trying to get a new deal coming off an injury.

Nice to see u back DrD!

I don't view it that way at all. There is nothing at all wrong with having quality depth at a position which utilizes rotations; also I think it's important to note that Branch and Carrington's roles are very different. Carrington was a rotational DE/DT, while Branch's roll has been much more situational and consistent.

This

If we could only trade Spiller now we would be headed in to great position for the offseason. Great move, Spiller needs to go next.

I don't understand this setiment at all, but to each their own. CJ and FJ have been very effective this year. CJ has a better YPC average. I get it, its because of his long runs. How can you put that against him, when this team is in need of big plays? It's laughable. He's been injured for the large part of this year, and is probably still playing a bit hobbled. Our run game is just fine as it is.

hes currently on a 1 year 3m deal.... it wont be anything astronomical.

That's my thought too. I wonder where he got this idea.

Great move. The D-Line is a strength of this team and Branch is a big reason behind that.

In terms of who this leaves for deals next offseason.. big names will include Scott Chandler, Jairus Byrd, and Carrington.

Hughes is signed until 2015 (1 more season) and Lawson is on a 4 year deal.

Haven't seen any either. I wonder if Carrington is gone. Parker is his agent and maybe Bills anticipate tough (or non existent) negotiations. Then again, as well as he's played when healthy, Carrington is in a tough spot trying to get a new deal coming off an injury.

Nice to see u back DrD!

its a lot harder to play hardball with a backup than it is a guy thats top 5 at his position. that said, carrington would be an unrestricted free agent so we cant play hard ball either.

either they will agree on a deal, or part ways, but it wont be dramatic.

I don't have any report, but my semi-educated guess is that it's going to be multi-year (2 or 3) and in the neighborhood of $4M/year

i was going to guess similarly but wouldve said 3-4 years at 3-4 million, in lines with what lawson is getting as a ballpark. essentially take over the brad smith slot.

Edited by NoSaint

its a lot harder to play hardball with a backup than it is a guy thats top 5 at his position. that said, carrington would be an unrestricted free agent so we cant play hard ball either.

either they will agree on a deal, or part ways, but it wont be dramatic.

Strategically, Carrington's best career move is likely going to be signing a 1-year "prove it" deal with Buffalo, where he knows the team, players, and system, and can be comfortable with his situation. Sign a 1-year deal, put together a solid year, and get the big money next off-season.

That's how I'd advise him.