A Positive Sign: Syracuse, NY Taking Notice Of The Bills!

Syracuse, New York. The home of Buffalo Bills President/CEO Russ Brandon. Home of Syracuse University, where Buffalo Bills Head Coach Doug Marrone came from. Home of the most cynical but most knowledgeable Buffalo Bills fans alive.

Well, people here in Syracuse, New York are starting to take notice of the Buffalo Bills.

And I think this is a long term notice.

At 4-7, the Buffalo Bills, believe it or not, still have a fairly decent shot of making the NFL playoffs

http://www.syracuse....ml#incart_river

Bills defense rattles Geno Smith, New York Jets in Buffalo's 37-14 win

http://blog.syracuse...ml#incart_river

Cynical Syracuse, New York finally paying attention to the Buffalo Bills. This is a very good sign!

Edited by PearlHowardman

I have long thought that Syracuse is a logical expansion of the fan base. We don't have ties to a regional team, the Bills are the closest team, and the Dome would be a great place to host a preseason game a la the Rogers Centre. There is a clear void here as you will see fans of pretty much every team. The Bills could seal this market and increase their stronghold in the region even more. No border to cross, 2.5 hours to the stadium,all thruway driving. It makes so much sense.

I think that Syracuse is a dividing line. The fan base is divided with the Bills, Jets and Giants. As you keep progressing west that obviously switches to firmly Bills territory at Rochester and so on. I would guess that Syracuse would take an interest in whatever of those three is doing best at that time. During the Bills heyday, I bet there were more mid state Bills fans. I was born in Syracuse, but have been back very few times, so I really don;t know.

I think that Syracuse is a dividing line. The fan base is divided with the Bills, Jets and Giants. As you keep progressing west that obviously switches to firmly Bills territory at Rochester and so on. I would guess that Syracuse would take an interest in whatever of those three is doing best at that time. During the Bills heyday, I bet there were more mid state Bills fans. I was born in Syracuse, but have been back very few times, so I really don;t know.

If you go to Syracuse, then drive 2 1/2 hours due north to Potsdam, NY, there are a bunch of Bills fans here. Many New Yorkers see the Bills as the only true New York team. It was good to see Cuomo at the game!

When the Bills field a good team there are no fans of any other NFL teams in Syracuse. 'Cuse fans never travel all the way down to NJ to see a game there. There's invariably lots of Bills fans at Bills home games who drove from Syracuse. It's an easy trip.

And when the Bills are getting noticed here in cynical Syracuse you know that they're a good team! :worthy:

And yes, there should be a Buffalo Bills pre-season game held at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse.

I grew up in Syracuse and it has it fair share of Bills fans (I for one, am an example of that). Giants are the other team that people seem to like. I don's remember too many Jets fans. The Jets fanbase may be growing tho due to them having training camp at nearby SUNY Cortland.

However, what I'll never forget is when Donovan McNabb was drafted by the Eagles. So many Syracuse people jumped on the Philly bandwagon because of McNabb. It still makes me sick to this day.

Edited by ldandria

I grew up in Syracuse and it has it fair share of Bills fans (I for one, am an example of that). Giants are the other team that people seem to like. I don's remember too many Jets fans. The Jets fanbase may be growing tho due to them having training camp at nearby SUNY Cortland.

However, what I'll never forget is when Donovan McNabb was drafted by the Eagles. So many Syracuse people jumped on the Philly bandwagon because of McNabb. It still makes me sick to this day.

When I was at SU for my Masters - 1990-92, I would see people in red white and blue Starter jackets (pretty much the only NFL ones) and I'd have to look closer to see if it was Bills or Giants. They really were the two main teams.

And, during my whole time, every Bills game was broadcast on the NBC affiliate, which was nice!

And what does the consensus of Syracuse cynics think about the Buffalo Bills?

Easy: The Bills are better than the team that showed up to play Pittsburgh two weeks ago and not nearly as good as the team that played the self-destructing Jets two days ago.

.500 team.

Next season schedule will be difficult.

Always listen to the Syracuse cynics when it comes to the Buffalo Bills!

:thumbsup:

I love Cuse basketball and it's cool to go there for games, but I really could care less what Syracuse thinks. :D

Well, you should.

We Syracuse cynics don't start idiotic apology threads. :thumbdown:

We Syracuse cynics know that the Patriots HC Bill Belichik likes to beat AFC East teams so don't count on the Patriots "resting their players" for the last game of the season against the Bills - played IN New England.

We Syracuse cynics definitely see the Bills improving but there's still a lot of obstacles ahead of this team.

And yes, there should be a Buffalo Bills pre-season game held at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse.

i never thought about this, or considered it. but its an excellent idea. for that fact, how about a regular season game? (INSTEAD of Toronto...not in addition)

Cynical Syracuse, New York finally paying attention to the Buffalo Bills. This is a very good sign!

More like Syracuse football has become irrelevant once again especially after getting pounded by FSU this past weekend,

while ex-FB HC Marrone won big.

If you were a reporter, which one would you want to write about?

I have long thought that Syracuse is a logical expansion of the fan base. We don't have ties to a regional team, the Bills are the closest team, and the Dome would be a great place to host a preseason game a la the Rogers Centre. There is a clear void here as you will see fans of pretty much every team. The Bills could seal this market and increase their stronghold in the region even more. No border to cross, 2.5 hours to the stadium,all thruway driving. It makes so much sense.

I would agree with that. A lot of my CNY friends are Giants or Eagles fans. Would be good to expand our fanbase into this area as it is quite similar to WNY overall. If we had fans from CNY all the way to Toronto then it would be easier to survive as a small market team

I grew up in Syracuse, and LIVE AND BREATH Buffalo Bills. Still have season tickets even after relocating to Raleigh, NC, just can't let it go!!

I spent most of my life convincing Giants fans that Buffalo was the logical team to route for. It really is the dividing line, and Jets moving training camp to Cortland really hurt b/c it was mostly Bills/Giants, now I've seen a lot more Jets influence. NY/NJ is big enough for the Jets and Giants, I say stay downstate Jets!!

Also - agree I have a lot of McNabb era fans that have become Eagles fans. Similar to here in Raleigh, there are a lot of San Diego Fans b/c of Rivers b/c Raleigh to Charlotte = Syracuse to Buffalo distance, so I think that has a lot to do with it.

Edited by qblax16

I'm from Utica and have always been a Bills fan. The other so called New York teams, are from New Jersey.

Syracuse is Bills and Giants territory, with the Bills having a pretty large advantage over the Giants. Syracuse folks are upstate people, not downstate. We are more than a little cynical but its really a very balanced place from politics to food to whatever. Just like Buffalo, you can go to a party and get into a lively discussion over your preferred model of snow shovel. I don't think downstate Giants fans talk much about snow removal equipment.

I think that if they ever built a Stadium on the Rochester side of the thruway, they could cut our trip down to 90 minutes or so from Syracuse and really pick up a lot more season ticket holders. We had season's for about 10 years but finally gave them up when the drive was just too much for my aging Dad. Put it on the amtrack route, perhaps on the grounds of one of the old quarries (a new Rockpile!) in Batavia and it would be the same drive for the folks in Buffalo, just east instead of south and it would be a very reasonable drive from Rochester, Syracuse and Utica. Taking the train directly to the game would be an awesome way to spend a Sunday in the fall and could extend the fan base to Albany.

Bills fans here in Syracuse are the most knowledgeable Bills fans there are. I think it's because we have SU football to watch so we don't put all of our eggs in the Buffalo Bills basket.

Bills fans in Buffalo seem the most gun-shy about supporting the Bills. Bills fans in Rochester seem to think the Bills are always the best team in the NFL.

The Bills having a stadium in Batavia, NY is an AWESOME idea!

If you see someone here in Syracuse wearing Giants or Jets stuff it's a good chance that they're an SU student from NYC-NJ.

I know a lot of people here in Syracuse that travel to Bills home games. I know of no one who travels to NJ to see the Giants or Jets or any other NFL stadiums - they're too far away. Gotta say there's a LOT of Pittsburgh and Minnesota fans here.

Edited by PearlHowardman

i never thought about this, or considered it. but its an excellent idea. for that fact, how about a regular season game? (INSTEAD of Toronto...not in addition)

Won't happen, I've heard it directly from Russ himself, the Carrier Dome is not up to NFL standards, plus no AC in the place, so it's like an oven in the summer.

Just like Buffalo, you can go to a party and get into a lively discussion over your preferred model of snow shovel. I don't think downstate Giants fans talk much about snow removal equipment.

I prefer the Bigfoot 20", it has a lifetime warranty on the handle.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bigfoot-20-in-Mega-Dozer-Snow-Shovel-with-Premium-Lifetime-Handle-and-Power-Step-2952/203722068#.UozpyMEo6ig

I think that would be a great idea. Not just for the Bills, but for the entire NFL.

If the NFL wants to assuage the fans who gripe about paying full price for a preseason game, why not play a bunch of preseason games at some college campuses?

Season ticket holders wouldn't have to worry about paying full price for a meaningless game, and the NFL could make money by charging reasonably priced tickets at these games.

My first year of season tickets was 1986, and I am quite sure that for a number of years we did not have 2 preseason games in Orchard Park. They would do exactly what you are talking about. I'm pretty sure there was a year or two with no preseason games here.

My first year of season tickets was 1986, and I am quite sure that for a number of years we did not have 2 preseason games in Orchard Park. They would do exactly what you are talking about. I'm pretty sure there was a year or two with no preseason games here.

To the internets!!!

(# of home games listed in pre-season)

1986 - 1

1987 - 0

1988 - 1

1989 - 2

1990 - 1

1991 - 1

1992 - 1

1993 - 1

1994 to 1998 - 2

1999 - 1

2000 - 1

2001 to 2013 - 2

I think that would be a great idea. Not just for the Bills, but for the entire NFL.

If the NFL wants to assuage the fans who gripe about paying full price for a preseason game, why not play a bunch of preseason games at some college campuses?

Season ticket holders wouldn't have to worry about paying full price for a meaningless game, and the NFL could make money by charging reasonably priced tickets at these games.

How about the NFL let teams charge a reduced fee for preseason games regardless of where it's played at.

To the internets!!!

(# of home games listed in pre-season)

1986 - 1

1987 - 0

1988 - 1

1989 - 2

1990 - 1

1991 - 1

1992 - 1

1993 - 1

1994 to 1998 - 2

1999 - 1

2000 - 1

2001 to 2013 - 2

Thanks! So, my memory was right. In our first 8 years with tickets, only one year did we have 2 games. Man, I wish it was like that again! (Especially now that we have one less real game!)

When the Bills field a good team there are no fans of any other NFL teams in Syracuse. 'Cuse fans never travel all the way down to NJ to see a game there. There's invariably lots of Bills fans at Bills home games who drove from Syracuse. It's an easy trip.

And when the Bills are getting noticed here in cynical Syracuse you know that they're a good team! :worthy:

You go away and send the real PearlHowardman back to us! :D Your optimism is very refreshing!

This one is better and cheaper:

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Suncast-20-in-Snow-Pusher-Shovel-SC270040D/100179908/

It isn't the handle that wears out (unless see next paragraph), it is the metal blade (steel wear strip) that wears out Gotta have a metal blade! I only use the all plastic ones on my deck. The one I posted is nice because it works well as a pusher and a scoop! I literally wore my other one's metal blade down to nothing... Was having a hard time finding this exact Suncast model again until I strolled into Home Depot and saw them for 20 bucks... I picked one up... I Should have got two and I would have been set for the next 15 years! LoL

And those curved (ergonomic) handle pushers? LoL... I tried one, pushed too much snow and the handle bent in half! LoL

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I have always had the view that the largest number of people in Syracuse follow the Giants. I still do. Retailers have to make money to stay in business. Giant colors far outnumber Bills colors on retail shelves. They do it because it sells better.

You also see more Giant clothing being worn.

I will say this though, signing Marrone as coach has picked up interest.

If you go to Syracuse, then drive 2 1/2 hours due north to Potsdam, NY, there are a bunch of Bills fans here. Many New Yorkers see the Bills as the only true New York team. It was good to see Cuomo at the game!

Ahhhh Potsdam, I remember it well. I went to Clarkson back in the day :)

The Bills ARE the only true NY team.

I have always had the view that the largest number of people in Syracuse follow the Giants. I still do. Retailers have to make money to stay in business. Giant colors far outnumber Bills colors on retail shelves. They do it because it sells better.

You also see more Giant clothing being worn.

I will say this though, signing Marrone as coach has picked up interest.

Bills fans in Syracuse spend their money on Bills home game tickets and the gas to get to the home games.

Most people in Syracuse wearing Giants/Jets stuff are SU students from NJ.

The local news here covers Bills/Sabres stuff pretty heavily.

Syracuse fan only really cares about the Orange.

Mostly true!

Saved my first post for this. I was born and raised in Endicott, NY became a Bills fan when the Giants moved out of NY. Been to many games with lots of Bills fans from Endicott and Vestal. I have been in NC for 13 years, haven't been to a game since. Going to try to make Fish game in Dec. Thanks for the snow shovel tip.

Go Kiko

At least you guys live close to a bunch of Bills fans. I'm here in Queens, N.Y. and wear my jersey on Sundays no matter the outcome. There's nobody to share my pain with just walking to the grocery store or heading to the pizza shop. I'm one of the few lone soldiers carrying the Bills flag to war against Jets and Giants fans.

There are many Bills fans who make it to McFaddens but I'm more of a stay at home and watch the game in the comfort of my own space kind a guy...

Edited by DefenseWinzChampionshipz

Won't happen, I've heard it directly from Russ himself, the Carrier Dome is not up to NFL standards, plus no AC in the place, so it's like an oven in the summer.

I prefer the Bigfoot 20", it has a lifetime warranty on the handle.

http://www.homedepot...68#.UozpyMEo6ig

My driveway is sloped enough that a straight-handled pusher works best, I let gravity do as much of the work as possible. I also prefer a plastic blade because wet snow doesn't freeze to it as it would with a metal blade. I keep one steel bladed shovel for when its too deep to push or when I need to chip ice.

I think the next great invention should be a snow plow that doesn't deposit a lode of immovable snow boulders at the bottom of everyone's driveway. Never should have sold the Jeep.

I live here in Syracuse (but originally from Rochester so not sure if that counts) and I'm a season ticket holder and I'd say its about 50/50 Bills and Giants fans. I think you see more Giants gear at stores because of the recent Super Bowl success making them more relevant to casual fans.