Who wants to apologize to Jairus Byrd?

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Byrd's career shows he gets his INT's against sub par teams.

Care to back up that assertion with some facts? If I recall correctly, Byrd intercepted Brady in his (Byrd's) first game as a pro. At any rate, the notion that interceptions against non-elite QBs don't matter is so absurd that it hardly even requires a response. I continue to be amazed at the lengths to which some people here will go trash a guy who is undeniably one of the best players on the team and one of the two or three best at his position in the league, just because the Bills apparently don't want to pay him what he thinks he is worth.

He just got 2 INT's against the 6th-seeded playoff team in non-garbage time last Sunday. Wake up.

Yea but I heard he's sitting out this Sunday. What a bum. Just going to return to play in front of that big international audience the week after.

Since this is now the official Jarius Byrd thread, let me pose a couple serious questions to those who say that Byrd's demands are too high (even though we don't really know what his demands are): If Byrd is demanding a contract that would make him the highest paid safety in the league, and he's really only the second, or third or fourth best safety in the league, would it really be such a huge blunder to "overpay" such a player by making him the highest paid? Isn't safety now one of the more important positions in the NFL? How does anyone, especially anyone on this board, determine whether Byrd is the best, or just one of the best, players at his position? With QBs, RBs and WRs, we have pretty meaningful statistics that can help answer that question. With safeties, the only real statistic we have is interceptions and, while important, they only tell a part of the story. And of course if that is the main criteria, then Byrd stacks up pretty darn well anyway. My point is, it's silly to quibble over whether Byrd is the very best, or just one of the best at his position. The fact is, he is a flat-out baller, and the Buffalo Bills do not have enough of those.

Edited by mannc

Being close to the Salary Cap is one thing to consider, but when a team is 20 million below and has an up and coming Defense, just Sign the Dude Please!

This is the one reason why I'm for signing Byrd. If you're not going to spend to the cap, why not keep him.

But Weddle money or more for Byrd is nuts. He's not worth that. Very few teams in the league would be willing to pay a FS that. And the concerns are obvious after what he pulled this year.

Chris Brown@ChrisBrownBills 1m

Jairus Byrd "open-minded" about re-signing with #Bills - Full story. http://www.buffalobi...20fef4 …

I listened to him on that. He didn't sound all that enthusiastic - never really saying he wants to stay in Buffalo.........Then Murph asked him is he at least open minded, and that's when he said that.

Otherwise, he sounded great. I really wish they would get this done!

Being close to the Salary Cap is one thing to consider, but when a team is 20 million below and has an up and coming Defense, just Sign the Dude Please!

Sounds like rookie mentality. Sign him, but to a SMART contract. Don't be a dipship. too many of those in the world.

Last year we had CJ Spiller's deal looming. This year CJ is not playing well enough to expect a massive extension. That frees up money for Byrd, especially if he keeps playing games like he did against the Jets.

PTR

I was thinking the same. Mario eats up a lot of space, but ok if EJ is our guy. We can pay Mario without restructuring for three years, and Byrd we should be able get for 7.5 mil a year as long as there is a significant amt of guaranteed. spiller will be les than expected. The only problem is how long will Fred stay healthy and durable at 32. He's one of my favorites on the team as you can rely on him to get the tough yards. Lastly, one more solid draft where three are good enough to start and we have excellent talent, at a low cost, and can afford to lock up players early before contracts are up. Most players for more guaranteed money, and locked up a year early will take less than the monster contracts when they are unrestricted. That's how the great durable teams are built going to playoffs year after year. I'm really hopeful we are starting to see us come out of the desert we've been in for over a decade.

Go Bills!

I listened to him on that. He didn't sound all that enthusiastic - never really saying he wants to stay in Buffalo.........Then Murph asked him is he at least open minded, and that's when he said that.

Otherwise, he sounded great. I really wish they would get this done!

I didn't get to listen to it yet... but Byrd never really sounds enthusiastic about anything (think it is his personality). I guess I would not be shocked either way but I really hope the Bils find a way to pay him what he wants. We need to keep players like this. Not every player (agreed with not paying Levitre) but this guy is a big piece of the Bills taking the next step.

Jairus Byrd Interview with Murph: http://audio.wgr550....murphy-show.htm

The John Murphy Show, on the air Monday-Friday on WGR between 7-9 p.m., got a visit last night from Buffalo Bills safety Jairus Byrd. The Pro Bowler discussed his battle with plantar fasciitis earlier this season and his contract status.

Murphy posed the question to the veteran DB, "Is it fair to say you are open minded about staying?"

Byrd responded: "Of course. Open minded? Absolutely, yeah. Definitely. I'm not going to close my mind to anything. I'm open to whatever might come."

Byrd held out of training camp this season while looking for a long-term contract. He's playing this season under the franchise tag and could be tagged again next year.

"I've said all along I wanted to be where I'm wanted," the 27-year-old safety said. "If it's here, great. I am excited just to win games here. I've been here four years so my heart is here. I want to win here and finish what I started."

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

There were a lot of assumptions and attacks made on his character and that was total crap. Bottomline, it's a business. If he blow out his knee and never got a cent from NFL, would you offer to give him money? He should get every penny he can get because he will be dumped by some NFL team the second he isn't valuable. But the player is always the bad guy and not the team.

The lesson fans need to learn is that time heals all wounds. in the NFL, a season is an eternity. Will Byrd be re-signed, don't know but it was never really off of the table because once the talks had to be stalled, time could do it's work.

He is playing in a great system, he is in a place he is comfortable and the roster is good enough to win going forward so if the money is sufficient there is no other reason a deal shouldn't get done.

That being said.......he is just one player who will come and go.

The greater significance is that the organization stood up to Eugene Parker and made him eat a slice of humble pie in front of the rest of that lockerroom.

The organization has given in too many times to players trying to circumvent their contracts or the terms of the CBA and that drew Parker to them. The Bills can't let agents run their team. No other NFL team does, the Bills can't be the exception. And in recent years, they have.

The lesson fans need to learn is that time heals all wounds. in the NFL, a season is an eternity. Will Byrd be re-signed, don't know but it was never really off of the table because once the talks had to be stalled, time could do it's work.

yup - the other thing i will add is a lot of players realize that business is business and can put the negotiations behind them once they are complete, even if they were difficult.

the issue was never a knock on buffalo, just that he didnt want to give what he perceived as a home town discount (not arguing thats accurate value or not, just stating what i take as his perception).

This is one piece of misinformation that was continually spread on TSW last year. CJ is signed through the 2014 season and has an option year in 2015.

It is a player option, so 2014 is his last year in Buffalo without an extension, in all likelihood. Obviously anything can happen. Coming off a bad year, if I were Spiller, I would sit tight in 2014 and look to hit it big in 2015.

It is a player option, so 2014 is his last year in Buffalo without an extension, in all likelihood. Obviously anything can happen. Coming off a bad year, if I were Spiller, I would sit tight in 2014 and look to hit it big in 2015.

when does he have to exercise that option?