Colts Elevate Da'Rick Rogers to the Active Roster

26CornerBlitz

The Bills need to get better - more strategic, thoughtful, and determined - when it comes to player development.

Is there anyone in this 42-page thread who disagrees with that statement?

id say no, that we all atleast agree on that, but im honestly not sure based on some of the arguments that have been made. most of us probably agree though.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone one here think that CH will make more of an impact than Rogers either short or long term? It boils down to that. The Bills job is to build a team that can win. They have 53 spots that comprise that roster. They need to select the 53 guys that give them the best chance at winning. The Rogers situation is magnified because of his pedigree and production over the last month of the season. It was the worst roster decision IMO. There are worse decisions that the franchise made like not finding an NFL caliber LG or OL depth in the offseason. In terms of picking 1 player over another this was the worst decision that they made and as time goes on the gap between CH and Da'Rick will only continue to widen. My frustration is that the Bills are not in a position to let talent go unless there is a viable alternative to replace him. No one thinks that he is a HOFer but we do think that he can be a contributing NFL player in a position of need. The other guy does not belong in the league.

David Tyree's catch, the music city miracle, the immaculate reception, the 2 auburn plays....

1 play can't decide a game?

I strongly disagree. We need to find more guys from Monmouth that can get 10 catches for 83 yards, drop a couple balls and miss some assignments on ST. We need less 6'3 WR that led the SEC in receiving.

So you're saying this catch was a TD in the waining seconds of a game that won the game for the Colts? Or that it was one that extended the final drive to win the game? Those are high pressure situations, this was a game that was out of hand, no one thought they would come back.

However, the point is moot. At this point, we're just going round and round and round, I'll just have to agree to disagree with you good sir. It's just not going anywhere. We're both strongly positioned in separte camps, and I dont think either of us is going to convince the other. Carry on sir!

Does anyone one here think that CH will make more of an impact than Rogers either short or long term? It boils down to that. The Bills job is to build a team that can win. They have 53 spots that comprise that roster. They need to select the 53 guys that give them the best chance at winning. The Rogers situation is magnified because of his pedigree and production over the last month of the season. It was the worst roster decision IMO. There are worse decisions that the franchise made like not finding an NFL caliber LG or OL depth in the offseason. In terms of picking 1 player over another this was the worst decision that they made and as time goes on the gap between CH and Da'Rick will only continue to widen. My frustration is that the Bills are not in a position to let talent go unless there is a viable alternative to replace him. No one thinks that he is a HOFer but we do think that he can be a contributing NFL player in a position of need. The other guy does not belong in the league.

Apparently he is and does. Ok done :D

Apparently he is and does. Ok done :D

He WAS in the league; he doesn't belong in the league. I suspect that this was his 1 and only NFL season. 10 catches, 83 yards, a couple of drops and miserable ST play.

I think that you would have a difficult time convincing me that CH will have a better NFL career. I am more likely to be convinced that Trent Edwards could win a championship as a starter.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

this thread really isn't about Da'Rick Rogers at all. It's really a thread about how bad the front office is, and while I think normally this team misses on a lot of talent in years past, I think it's safe to say that any scrub receiver could do what Rogers has done so far, which isn't much by the way, due to Andrew Luck being the QB. Lets also note that the team has a better offense, so the law of averages just about guarantee he'd look better in Indy. now it's time to /thread.

The only explanation that people are STILL defending the decision to cut Rogers has to be that they are so dug in on that position. Too much so to admit that they are wrong.

As homey said, this is all about roster management, not Da'rick per se. The Bills made a very shrewd move in signing him prior to TC. His skill set filled a role that hasn't been filled on this team since Eric Moulds (although SJ made a physical reception 2 years ago against KC). They brought him in knowing that he was was a work in progress on a team that wasn't going to truly compete this year, so in other words setting up the team for '14 and '15 and beyond.

Instead, they cut him and didn't try to sign him to the PS.

Then Indy picks him up and stashes him on the PS, twice! Moved him up to the team because of injuries and Rogers fills in nicely. He's obviously not a number one receiver for them, but in limited action makes about 15 catches and a couple TDs. Then in the playoff game makes an outstanding, physical catch.

The point is, Indy had enough foresight and patience to say, "this kid has great tools and needs some time to develop. Let's give that to him, give him a chance. If he matures and learns how to be a pro, its a huge win. If not, we cut him and lose nothing".

I like Marrone, Whaley, and where this team is going, but it was a mistake, plain and simple.

this thread really isn't about Da'Rick Rogers at all. It's really a thread about how bad the front office is, and while I think normally this team misses on a lot of talent in years past, I think it's safe to say that any scrub receiver could do what Rogers has done so far, which isn't much by the way, due to Andrew Luck being the QB. Lets also note that the team has a better offense, so the law of averages just about guarantee he'd look better in Indy. now it's time to /thread.

because his two biggest highlights were lucks throws?

hes made a couple physical nfl plays that you would never expect out of hogan. with any qb. turning a slant upfield to break tackles and house, and fighting for that ball were real nfl WR plays. they are the types of plays he made frequently in college.

(although SJ made a physical reception 2 years ago against KC).

:lol: Nice

To your point about posters like myself being dug in. That's a gross overstatement. I recognize Rogers has more physical ability. Big whoop. If the team said he just wasn't the right fit, that could likely be coachspeak for "He's an entitled p.o.s. who thinks he can get by on talent alone while higher skilled, proven veterans still work their ass off. We don't think that kind of person in this locker room is a good thing. Especially since he'll only play in a reserve role." ... Am I making an assumption there? Sure. So are the people who think talent equates guaranteed production.

It looks to me like everyone lamenting the loss of Rogers must not care about the coach having integrity. Question. If any of you are/were running a business, would you keep a guy who comes in late all the time and constantly misses deadlines because when he occasionally does do the work on time, it's superb?

... exception would be certain posters who seem to have a weirdly unhealthy hatred for CH.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

The only explanation that people are STILL defending the decision to cut Rogers has to be that they are so dug in on that position. Too much so to admit that they are wrong.

As homey said, this is all about roster management, not Da'rick per se. The Bills made a very shrewd move in signing him prior to TC. His skill set filled a role that hasn't been filled on this team since Eric Moulds (although SJ made a physical reception 2 years ago against KC). They brought him in knowing that he was was a work in progress on a team that wasn't going to truly compete this year, so in other words setting up the team for '14 and '15 and beyond.

Instead, they cut him and didn't try to sign him to the PS.

Then Indy picks him up and stashes him on the PS, twice! Moved him up to the team because of injuries and Rogers fills in nicely. He's obviously not a number one receiver for them, but in limited action makes about 15 catches and a couple TDs. Then in the playoff game makes an outstanding, physical catch.

The point is, Indy had enough foresight and patience to say, "this kid has great tools and needs some time to develop. Let's give that to him, give him a chance. If he matures and learns how to be a pro, its a huge win. If not, we cut him and lose nothing".

I like Marrone, Whaley, and where this team is going, but it was a mistake, plain and simple.

100% truth

Another way to think about it is how the 8 teams left in the playoffs have players that fill that big, physical role. I think we are all in agreement that it's been lacking on the Bills for quite some time. I like the receivers Buffalo has, but the corps is incomplete without a guy that can help his QB out by making 50/50 balls, 80/20 balls.

Denver: Loaded. D. Thomas, E. Decker, J. Thomas

NE: Gronk (out now, but they have a guy that fills the role)

SD: Gates, Ladarius Green

Indy: Not much (which is probably a big reason why they are taking a chance on The Rick)

Seattle: actually not much.

Carolina: Olsen (eh..),

49ers: Boldin, Davis

NO: Graham

So, the point is that most of the teams left in the playoffs have a player that fills that role. Indy, which doesn't, smartly signed Rogers to perhaps fill that role one day.

:lol: Nice

To your point about posters like myself being dug in. That's a gross overstatement. I recognize Rogers has more physical ability. Big whoop. If the team said he just wasn't the right fit, that could likely be coachspeak for "He's an entitled p.o.s. who thinks he can get by on talent alone while higher skilled, proven veterans still work their ass off. We don't think that kind of person in this locker room is a good thing. Especially since he'll only play in a reserve role." ... Am I making an assumption there? Sure. So are the people who think talent equates guaranteed production.

It looks to me like everyone lamenting the loss of Rogers must not care about the coach having integrity. Question. If any of you are/were running a business, would you keep a guy who comes in late all the time and constantly misses deadlines because when he occasionally does do the work on time, it's superb?

... exception would be certain posters who seem to have a weirdly unhealthy hatred for CH.

It's a fair point. I don't know if that pertains to Rogers though. I've never read anything or heard anything other than speculation about his work ethic. We've all heard speculation from vested parties. Speculation from the Buffalo side that he's not a hard worker, from the Colts side that he's an extremely hard worker and a very smart football mind. Not surprisingly, those are incongruent points. Buffalo cut him and the Colts have him playing in playoff games.

All I can form my opinion on is what I see and what I'd consider reliable information. I see a big, physical, young receiver making contributions to a playoff team. I see a void in Buffalo. To me, that equates to a mistake we made.

Edited by dubs

It's a fair point. I don't know if that pertains to Rogers though. I've never read anything or heard anything other than speculation about his work ethic. We've all heard speculation from vested parties. Speculation from the Buffalo side that he's not a hard worker, from the Colts side that he's an extremely hard worker and a very smart football mind. Not surprisingly, those are incongruent points. Buffalo cut him and the Colts have him playing in playoff games.

All I can form my opinion on is what I see and what I'd consider reliable information. I see a big, physical, young receiver making contributions to a playoff team. I see a void in Buffalo. To me, that equates to a mistake we made.

Fair enough.

I just hate that CH took a roster spot from a guy that could have potentially helped the team both short and long term. To me it was a total waste and you might as well have kept 52 guys. If it was CH or Ruvell Martin he may have been a better option.

No, I do not care about my Marrone's integrity. The worst people (ie Belicheck) often make the best coaches. I care about wins and losses.

I have run a few different sales teams over 10 people and I do not treat them all the same. Production is ultimately what matters. The top guy that I ever managed was a huge pain in the butt. I had to give him a little more leash because he played an important role in us attaining our goals. I am not sure how this is different?

Edited by Kirby Jackson

because his two biggest highlights were lucks throws?

hes made a couple physical nfl plays that you would never expect out of hogan. with any qb. turning a slant upfield to break tackles and house, and fighting for that ball were real nfl WR plays. they are the types of plays he made frequently in college.

Right. When that highlight played on ESPN, Dilfer commented on what a great play it was by Rogers, not Luck. That's coming from a QB. He said Luck just threw it up there for grabs and gave his physical WR a chance to make a play on the ball. This was a HUGE mistake by the FO/Marrone , who should have seen what all us fans saw. This WR corps lacks physical play. Rogers could have provided it. Instead we get a "mediocre white guy" playing WR. Rogers looks like a stud in the making, I mean the guy is an Adonis. The Bills had a diamond with some off field issues that they got for essentially nothing. They should have had the patience with him that was obviously going to be required. This isn't college, where you just bring in the next batch of recruits. A player of Rogers physical talents will cost a draft pick, and may not pan out. This was a zero risk, high reward situation for the Bills and they screwed the pooch.

I have run a few different sales teams over 10 people and I do not treat them all the same. Production is ultimately what matters. The top guy that I ever managed was a huge pain in the butt. I had to give him a little more leash because he played an important role in us attaining our goals. I am not sure how this is different?

I agree on different leashes for different people. The example you gave is a good one. You gave your top guy the longest leash, which I agree should be done in situations like that. But this, IMO, wasn't one of those situations. It's not like it is FJ, CJ, or SJ we're taking about, it was a candidate for last spot on the roster. I would not give that guy extra room on his leash. He never earned it and thus doesn't deserve it.

I respect your opinion and I want to win games as well, I just think our philosophies differ here.

I agree on different leashes for different people. The example you gave is a good one. You gave your top guy the longest leash, which I agree should be done in situations like that. But this, IMO, wasn't one of those situations. It's not like it is FJ, CJ, or SJ we're taking about, it was a candidate for last spot on the roster. I would not give that guy extra room on his leash. He never earned it and thus doesn't deserve it.

I respect your opinion and I want to win games as well, I just think our philosophies differ here.

i think where you diverge reading this is thinking that rogers was a standard issue number 6 guy like hogan, or roosevelt, or aiken or ruvell martin, or about 100 others that bounce around the league and never have a shot to be a CJ, or stevie, or.... while he was low on the depth chart he was probably our most physically talented guy in the entire stable of WRs and TEs not just this year but over the last several as well - and hes shown football production at a high level with that talent. he has the ability to be our #1 some day, if he can get his act together and THAT does earn a lot of guys around the league longer leashes than you would see your average #6 getting. would he have ever reached it - who knows, but kirby and i, and i think even you, agree hogan wont.

Edited by NoSaint

i think where you diverge reading this is thinking that rogers was a standard issue number 6 guy like hogan, or roosevelt, or aiken or ruvell martin, or about 100 others that bounce around the league and never have a shot to be a CJ, or stevie, or.... while he was low on the depth chart he was probably our most physically talented guy in the entire stable of WRs and TEs not just this year but over the last several as well - and hes shown football production at a high level with that talent. he has the ability to be our #1 some day, if he can get his act together and THAT does earn a lot of guys around the league longer leashes than you would see your average #6 getting. would he have ever reached it - who knows, but kirby and i, and i think even you, agree hogan wont.

Wait... You must not have seen my post earlier in this thread where I predicted Chris Hogan being NFL MVP in 2014. ;)

I agree. I don't think that Hogan will ever be a number one or probably even a number two receiver in this league. I think Rogers could be a legit number one, but I'm not holding my breath. Wasted talent is a routine occurrence. To me, the fact that he didn't get drafted due to negative feedback, paired with the fact that Chris Hogan beat him out on work ethic alone (I just can't think the staff or anyone could say CH is a more talented WR), that it speaks volumes. Maybe he gets his act together and makes us truly regret the move, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it til it happens over the course of more than just one game or one awesome catch.

Wait... You must not have seen my post earlier in this thread where I predicted Chris Hogan being NFL MVP in 2014. ;)

I agree. I don't think that Hogan will ever be a number one or probably even a number two receiver in this league. I think Rogers could be a legit number one, but I'm not holding my breath. Wasted talent is a routine occurrence. To me, the fact that he didn't get drafted due to negative feedback, paired with the fact that Chris Hogan beat him out on work ethic alone (I just can't think the staff or anyone could say CH is a more talented WR), that it speaks volumes. Maybe he gets his act together and makes us truly regret the move, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it til it happens over the course of more than just one game or one awesome catch.

ill say i can cheers to that and agree to disagree with little frustration - unlike some of the arguments ive seen levied in favor of the cut that drive me a bit crazy. ill agree that rogers could have been all kinds of terrible behind the scenes or there very well could be more to the story.... but i suspect it was a matter of preference and a philosophy of not wanting to take the time/effort to develop that type of guy more than anything and that worries me immensely going forward. similarly im very worried about the decision on crossman, and a few others that independently wouldnt be the end of the world but collectively have my optimism that we have the right decision makers in place waning a bit right now.

Edited by NoSaint

.... but i suspect it was a matter of preference and a philosophy of not wanting to take the time/effort to develop that type of guy more than anything and that worries me immensely going forward.

If that was indeed the case, my stance on this matter would drastically change. I have to hope it wasn't.

The Crossman retention does concern me WRT what is says about his positron on accountability.

1389013841[/color]' post='3026972']

Who cares what he did in college. All I know is that he did zero to earn a spot on his first pro team. If he learned enough to stick with Colts, more power to him. There are dozens of decent college players coming out every year who don't amount to squat in the NFL.

I think what he was getting at is that to the average fan he was just some guy that was supposed to be good and fell in the draft. To people who followed college football and actively evaluated the WR class, Rogers was considered a 1st-2nd rd talent. Even with the off-field issues most had him mocked in the 3rd or 4th. If You'd put a mock in your sig listing him in the 4th or 5th people would have told you he wouldn't have been available. I for one was stoked to see we signed him after the draft. In the 6th and 7th I was watching hoping we'd call his name.

I get what you're saying and I'm not arguing the point, just offering some context that might explain why it grates on so many nerves to watch this guy succeed after we cast him aside.

I think what he was getting at is that to the average fan he was just some guy that was supposed to be good and fell in the draft. To people who followed college football and actively evaluated the WR class, Rogers was considered a 1st-2nd rd talent. Even with the off-field issues most had him mocked in the 3rd or 4th. If You'd put a mock in your sig listing him in the 4th or 5th people would have told you he wouldn't have been available. I for one was stoked to see we signed him after the draft. In the 6th and 7th I was watching hoping we'd call his name.

I get what you're saying and I'm not arguing the point, just offering some context that might explain why it grates on so many nerves to watch this guy succeed after we cast him aside.

Exactly the point I was making. Or atleast trying to.

To act like seeing him play a full season doesn't matter cause he had a less than stellar 10 or 15 days of training camp that you heard second hand reports on is definitely a bit of a hot button for me. That's not just da'rick but a lot of young players discussed on this board. (The tuel over ej crowd being another example that drove me nuts - ignore their physical skills and college résumé, and look at 6 drives in a preseason game!) Just because someone hasn't watched them for 1, or even sometimes 4 years in college they act like that's totally irrelevant when discussing a players ability or potential. It's not the end all or the draft would be a lot easier and there'd be no busts but combining past performance, in the SEC nonetheless, with great athleticism.... It isn't exactly going out on that shaky of a limb to say I want to collect guys with that college track record. Some will bust but you'll get a lot of great ones too. In this case you didnt even have to weigh him against another use of a premium pick, or noteworthy cap dollars or a guy we couldn't replace easily on the 53..... He was a totally free lottery ticket for 2014 and beyond and instead we kept one that didnt win lastnights drawing.

Edited by NoSaint

ill say i can cheers to that and agree to disagree with little frustration - unlike some of the arguments ive seen levied in favor of the cut that drive me a bit crazy. ill agree that rogers could have been all kinds of terrible behind the scenes or there very well could be more to the story.... but i suspect it was a matter of preference and a philosophy of not wanting to take the time/effort to develop that type of guy more than anything and that worries me immensely going forward. similarly im very worried about the decision on crossman, and a few others that independently wouldnt be the end of the world but collectively have my optimism that we have the right decision makers in place waning a bit right now.

I wish you would try not to transfer emotions from one situation to the next.

Crosman and Rogers have nothing in common except what we fans attempt to string up. Me included .

I make my own connections deciphering the patterns that Marrone generates.

Let us stand fast and see what becomes , and less so conjecture negative presumption.

: )

I agree on the context. A big part of the issue is the receivers we kept failed to delight and amaze us. If Easley, Goodwin, and even Graham and Wood were lighting it up a bit more, it would be like "Da'Rick who?". (Course, we have to remember which one had Luck throwing to him)

Shep had a decent playoff game for the Colts, but watching Kiko all season doesn't have many people pining for Shep based on his playoff appearance.

The thing is, we don't know what getting kicked to the curb by the Bills may have done for Da'Rick. He may have had someone give him the wake-up call speech: "look, buddy, your attitude and work ethics just sent you from 1-2nd rnd draft pick, to underdrafted, to cut by a losing team with no-name wideouts ahead of you. Some other team gives you a chance, straighten out and fly right or enjoy the view from momma's basement."

Edited by Hopeful

If the #2 wideout (that's how he was introduced on the telecast) for the Bills, had 1 catch in a playoff game, where the QB threw for 443 yds. Everyone here would be super pissed, and say the guy had disappeared.

Honestly, Hogan would have matched that performance had he played for the Colts in Da'Rick's stead.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

but i suspect it was a matter of preference and a philosophy of not wanting to take the time/effort to develop that type of guy more than anything and that worries me immensely going forward.

This pretty much sums up how I feel on the entire situation... B-)

This pretty much sums up how I feel on the entire situation... B-)

I understand that perspective, but it can be flipped. They have a roster full of guys that need to be developed, and there is a limited amount of "time/effort". Training camp was where rookies competed for a share of the coaches "time/effort", and apparently, Da'Rick didn't make the cut.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

I understand that perspective, but it can be flipped. They have a roster full of guys that need to be developed, and there is a limited amount of "time/effort". Training camp was where rookies competed for a share of the coaches "time/effort", and apparently, Da'Rick didn't make the cut.

But the used the time and effort on Colin Brown, Sam Young and Chis Hogan? Why? Were those guys ever going to be able to impact your team?

But the used the time and effort on Colin Brown, Sam Young and Chis Hogan? Why? Were those guys ever going to be able to impact your team?

It's a balance, between experience and teaching new guys.

Really, it's not that big of a deal, and it doesn't reveal some kind of deficiency in the coaches. They know more about the situation than we do. Whining about this all season is really ridiculous.