Goodwin Needs to Play More

LB3

I know he pulled a hamstring but I'm hoping it's not serious. Every time he gets on the field he seems to do something good. Not only can he get unbelievable separation, but he also looks to have really sure hands. (See his leaping catch on an overthrow vs New Orleans). I've also noticed that even though he's a smaller receiver height wise he seems to be one of the better blocking wrs. I think with Woods and Stevie we could have one of the more exciting young promising wr cores in the league. I hate piling on Graham but we'd be better off with Goodwin getting the lions share of the wr3 reps.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

Fred Jackson said we should be throwing deep balls to Goodwin at least 5-6 times a game. The guy is scary fast

It the coverage is there, yes, put it up a few times. If for no other reason than to back the defense off a bit. But they are low percentage plays for a reason.

GO BILLS!!!

I'd have no problem whatsoever with Johnson, Woods , and Goodwin as our 3 WR core going forward as long as we land a big time TE this next offseason.

Can't completely disagree with this. I like Chandler because he makes some incredibly tough catches at times but he also had a tendency to blow some easy plays at really inopportune times. I'd also like to see what Gragg's got as a receiving option. His measurables are impressive and he's been seeing more snaps recently.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

I am worried when I see Goodwin and Woods on kickoff coverage from an injury perspective, but when you are at the game and watch Goodwin run freely straight down field it is a freakish site. He gains 5 yards on his teammates by the 50 yard line. It honestly looks like he is about to leave the ground and take off in the air.

I agree about Goodwin needing to play more. The only troubling tendency right now is him leaving the field due to injuries. You got to hope his body can adjust to the rigors of the NFL game, because he has the speed and can catch the ball.

The potential for these young WR's is great. Johnson, is solid. Wood sto me is going to be awesome once him and EJ get to play together consitently. Goodwin would be great as that Mike Wallace type receiver the Steelers used.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

I absolutely love Goodwin, he is going to be a huge weapon and open up the offense significantly. I have been saying this ever since he got back, and he has proven it. Every WR had injury issues, look around the league at guys going down left and right. You need depth - Graham should be his backup - similar speed but not as good hands. Fortunately (?) TJ has stayed healthy.

I like the discussion between Joe B and Chris Trapasso on Twitter right now. Basically, swap Goodwin's and Graham's playing time. Goodwin takes 40-some snaps and Graham takes 15-25.

Graham does have value, but he shouldn't be playing more than Goodwin from what we've seen.

I couldn't agree more. Goodwin is a threat that MUST be respected! He eliminates the option of defenses putting 8 in the box when he's on the field, nobody can go one on one with him, he'll blow by them for a deep score every time.

Edited by BmarvB

I like the discussion between Joe B and Chris Trapasso on Twitter right now. Basically, swap Goodwin's and Graham's playing time. Goodwin takes 40-some snaps and Graham takes 15-25.

Graham does have value, but he shouldn't be playing more than Goodwin from what we've seen.

Gotta think the pecking order will change with Goodwin making big plays for TDs and after Graham's critical fumble, continual poor ball tracking, and inconsistent hands.

Gotta think the pecking order will change with Goodwin making big plays for TDs and after Graham's critical fumble, continual poor ball tracking, and inconsistent hands.

The coaches can't be blind, right? Do we know if Goodwin can run any other routes well? Seems getting him the ball on a slant would be equally dangerous.

He also has a really cool td dance that cbs keeps cutting from. What's up with that??

Not sure but after his TD against Cincy, he jokingly tweeted that he was a little salty that they didn't show his "shimmy." It has something to do with the fraternity he was in at Texas. Two things I have learned about him from Twitter (1) He knows how good he is - confident but not cocky, (2) He is good friends with many of the other rookies including Jeff Tuel.

The coaches can't be blind, right? Do we know if Goodwin can run any other routes well? Seems getting him the ball on a slant would be equally dangerous.

Get him the ball on bubble screens or a crossing pattern and it could be off to the races as well.

How can Marrone so incorrectly identify talent? TJ Graham is a joke. Goodwin is the rmfd (real mother expletive deal).

Not sure if you meant to write it this way... Marrone is the one who drafted Goodwin, Gailey drafted Graham. Goodwin has only been back for 3 weeks and has seen signicant throws his way, that will only increase going forward. Since he has now played 2 different QBs since he has been back and going on a third... not easy.

Get him the ball on bubble screens or a crossing pattern and it could be off to the races as well.

Percy. Harvin.

This is an interesting theoretical debate, but not a practical one.

Goodwin can't stay healthy based on the few snaps he already gets; can you imagine what would happen if he played 40-50 snaps a game?

Can't agree. It's not as if he's an OL...He should be able to play that many snaps as an outside WR.

Can't agree. It's not as if he's an OL...He should be able to play that many snaps as an outside WR.

Injuries and WRs are tricky... one wuld say SJ can't stay healthy either, yet he plays hurt and mostly effectively so we don't call him injury prone. Goodwin has had one bad injury that kep him out but otherwise he is playing through them. Most WRs are banged up on a weekly basis, esp the smaller ones. Look at Amendola!

He only missed time because of the fluke broken hand...guess we'll see whether he can stand up to the rigors of 40-50 snaps/game. Shouldn't be a problem.

We are hoping for the same thing. But, as I mentioned a few weeks ago, it seems like these slight speedster or slot receivers are just prone to injury. We all know Roscoe, of course. But guys like Amendola, Austin Collie, Brandon Stokely, etc. all seemed to always be hurt. Welker might be the only exception.

We are hoping for the same thing. But, as I mentioned a few weeks ago, it seems like these slight speedster or slot receivers are just prone to injury. We all know Roscoe, of course. But guys like Amendola, Austin Collie, Brandon Stokely, etc. all seemed to always be hurt. Welker might be the only exception.

One thing to remember is that the guys you are mentioning are usually in the slot working the middle of the field where they're susceptible to much more punishment. On the other hand Goodwin lines up on the outside and doesn't primarily work the middle of the field.

Goodwin reminds me a lot of T.Y. Hilton... the guy we should've drafted instead of Graham. (Though obviously Russell Wilson beats Hilton easily.) The injury thing is a little worrisome, but I'm hoping it's just a series of coincidences and not a real issue. I want to see him get regular playing time and see what he can do outside of the 9 route.

Without rereading posts I have missed. Goodwin is misunderstood. Best in doses. Similar to CJ Spiller.

I'd rather have both Jackson and Spiller on the field the. Goodwin. And if Goodwin is going to be on the field more it will limit our diversity. We are a run first team. Woods, Chandler, SJ13 with FJ or CJ or both with a 3rd WR is not unheard of but we need to be constantly putting the best talent on the field regardless of position and finding a way to make it work.

Without rereading posts I have missed. Goodwin is misunderstood. Best in doses. Similar to CJ Spiller.

I'd rather have both Jackson and Spiller on the field the. Goodwin. And if Goodwin is going to be on the field more it will limit our diversity. We are a run first team. Woods, Chandler, SJ13 with FJ or CJ or both with a 3rd WR is not unheard of but we need to be constantly putting the best talent on the field regardless of position and finding a way to make it work.

Completely disagree. With Goodwin's speed as a threat, the running game is more effective because opponents are less likely to have eight in the box as they MUST respect the potential of Home Run for six.

Completely disagree. With Goodwin's speed as a threat, the running game is more effective because opponents are less likely to have eight in the box as they MUST respect the potential of Home Run for six.

I would agree if we had an effective middle passing game and Goodwin was in the slot. He is not. And I'm not sure why.

One thing to remember is that the guys you are mentioning are usually in the slot working the middle of the field where they're susceptible to much more punishment. On the other hand Goodwin lines up on the outside and doesn't primarily work the middle of the field.

And yet he is on his third injury of the season. Hand, elbow, hamstring.

There is no question the guy can fly.....the question is can he land.

At various times we were told Roscoe was going to take the league by storm after he tore up the competition at SJF in summer and nagging injuries often derailed that train. Roscoe made some big plays but he never became that player.

That's where Stevie and Chandler have to make it happen. IMO, Goodwin in the slot would subject him to too many big hits.

I watched some more of the offensive snaps this year. A few of Graham - I wanted to see something, and I did. Graham on the outside often gets past his defender but he does not capture better position. He lets the defender keep the inside and I am not sure why - clearly, this could be corrected with coaching.

I watched Goodwin, too. Goodwin on the outside covered by the nickel or dime in cases I saw, once an LB was similar - outside of the db.

I am not sure why we are sending speedy, short WR's downfield and keeping them outside.

Goodwin runs like a Porsche. Graham runs like a Clydesdale. Goodwin is good at maneuvering to avoid contact and Graham is good at just punching through the contact. He isn't as elegant or graceful and there is a reason I chose one a sports car and one a horse. I think of Graham as more utilitarian to a football team then I do Goodwin. Both are important to have and I do not knock either player in saying that.

With Chandler I do not need to see anymore then what I have. I saw great things from him in 2012. I want more of that now. I leave you with this lineup: Fred Jackson and EJ Manuel in the backfield. EJ shotgun. Chandler, Woods, SJ13 and either CJ Spiller, Goodwin, or Graham.

SJ13 at slot, Woods wide. Chandler opposite side out at WR. With Jackson on that side of the ball then using the optional player to motion depending on defensive read. The matchups would be ideal - we saw Chandler out wide in 2012. This would be nice to see in the red zone of goal line situation. The optional player could remain home or roll to the short flat as a dump/screen player, perhaps motioning toward FJ and Chandler.

Either way....just my fun whacky thoughts.