EJ is ready to return: Set to Start at QB in Pittsburgh

I will say one thing. I don't think the Bills as a team dropped a ton of balls before this game. There were some, of course. EJs worse pass seems to be the swing pass that is not on target and dropped.

I contend Tuel does not throw a good catchable ball because he floats it.

You know darn well that the receivers get ready to feel the hits. WIth Tuel's floaters I think they are aniticpating hits and make for more drops.

Didn't they practice all week?

I can sort of see the players are used to the balls thrown by one QB, and then get balls from another QB, but come on. They had a week of practice.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If EJ underthrows Goodwin or Graham on a bomb, he's gonna get his ass chewed out by Marrone on the sidelines. Coach made that clear in his morning interview. They can't underthrow those guys and it's been happening too much.

If EJ underthrows Goodwin or Graham on a bomb, he's gonna get his ass chewed out by Marrone on the sidelines. Coach made that clear in his morning interview. They can't underthrow those guys and it's been happening too much.

And he should be judged. But still, I would be crazy happy to see him back.

There are some folks on here who saw a completely different performance that what I saw from Tuel. I agree with you, I can't imagine anyone wanting him right now, especially with all the QBs coming out of the draft next year. Maybe New England signs him to the PS so they can download the playbook from his brain.

Luckily, I don't think he sees the field again for a couple years, barring another rash of injuries. You can be sure that next year Buffalo has a much better plan for the backup position (recognizing that it was a bit unusual what happened this year).

Let's hope Eeej plays out the year and shows a lot of promise!!

Go Bills!

If the Bills waive Tuel in an attempt to put him on the PS and the Pats claim him, they have to sign him to the active roster. They can't put him on their PS without first waiving him again.

I don't think that's common practice to sign someone off another team's PS just to pick their brain. Otherwise they could just snag a WR or someone else off of the Bills PS, no need to wait for someone to get waived.

Overall, this is the healthiest team we will have fielded. Exciting. On paper, we should beat them handily.

Yep.

I get the sense this young Bills team does not care about what is painted on the side of a helmet. The fact the Steelers where good now means nothing to them.

Proper play calling and execution should result in a win finally. Man to man the Bills are a better team. They just need to cut down on mistakes and untimely turn overs.

That's very good to hear! Tuel is one thing, but there's no excuse for EJ to underthrow guys on a deep route. Overthrowing is generally pretty safe, and if the guy is fast enough to catch up to the throw, it can be the difference between a TD and a guy being caught while he's making the catch.

Didn't they practice all week?

I can sort of see the players are used to the balls thrown by one QB, and then get balls from another QB, but come on. They had a week of practice.

I think his point is that all things being equal, the QB who gets the ball to the receiver later will have more drops because the longer the receiver has to wait for the ball, the more he'll be thinking that he's gonna get whacked.

I could see a "cut EJ now, tank the season, and draft a QB with the first round pick" thread getting some traction.

Sweet baby Jesus you are right - it seems most of the fanbase as well as dope and his lapdog forgot the whole breakdown on EJ when we drafted him "Not the most NFL ready QBin the draft - but has the upside potential - needs further development and could/should become a top tier QB given time". Dope/Lapdog spent a whole show describing on how the Pitt game is the whole final referendumon EJ.....yikes......

Looks to me that EJ is EXACTLY what was expected of him when he was drafted.....not the most polished...needs developmnet...he has shown patches of poise and leadership as well as the skills that top QB's have. He had basically no training camp and very little practice......Brees took 4 years, Rodgers took 3, JK took 4-5, now we are 5 games into a career......

It's going to be important to shake the rust off and give EJ some confidence so hopefully they can connect on some quick passes early on just to get him back in the flow of things. But overall I think our RB's can gash this defense well enough where QB play shouldn't be a big factor. We will just need some 3rd down passes here and there to move the chains but hopefully they won't have to ask too much of EJ if we can establish the run early

Dude gets banged up a lot but at least he's a quick healer. They gotta start him as long as he shows a good handle on things in practice and can zip the ball and get out of harms way.

I don't think he gets banged up a lot. The question I have isn't whether he's a quick healer, it's whether he's a quick learner and how much time he's spent practicing his slide.

In college, he was a big tough fast sturdy guy, and only a handful of the guys were bigger and tougher and hit NFL-hard.

Now he's average in size and toughness and speed, and every guy on D is big tough and hits NFL hard.

EJ, one word for you: SLIDE!

Well, OK, two additional words for you: KNEE BRACES!

Edited by Hopeful

Even talking to some Bills fans whose opinions I respect, it seems like many people can't put rookie QBs in the proper perspective.

Luck and Wilson are the exceptions. We're seeing RG3 working his way through a sophomore slump.

Clocker and Ponder were more highly drafted than EJ. Ponder finally had a good game the other night in his 3rd season. Clocker has finally shown signs of being decent in his third season. Both of those players basically sucked for their first two seasons.

People who don't understand that it takes the great majority of QBs several seasons to properly develop simply don't understand NFL football.

You can't pass judgement on whether EJ is good or not. He's not.

Yet.

You can only judge whether he seems to be developing and improving.

That's... optimistic.

I think we'd be better but I can't say there's a direct correlation to wins.

I don't think it's optimistic. They lost by a closer margin than the final score would indicate against the Browns as Tuel was unable to move the team, took the Bungles to OT, and lost another close game to KC.

Thankfully Heinz Field looks good at half of ND/Pitt. I read it was re-sodded between the hashes recently. That part looks good. Only a few bare spots between the hashes and sidelines. I just hope it stays dry there until the game ends when I assume they will cover the field until tomorrow.

I agree. Except for the Saints game, fewer turnovers/better QB play would have won the other games. EJ showed both of those when he was in.

I'm going to say that the team would be 5-4 if EJ played all the games; beating Cleveland and KC. I'm just not convinced that the uptick in QB play that EJ would have provided over Thad against Cinci and NO--though it likely would have been noticible--would have made the difference in either game.

Nevertheless the gist of the point is legitimate--with EJ we're in the thick of the playoff hunt IMO