EJ is ready to return: Set to Start at QB in Pittsburgh

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marrone holds on Manuel decision

Wednesday was the first day that Bills head coach Doug Marrone watched his starting quarterback in the full practice setting since he sustained an LCL knee injury in Week 5. Though EJ Manuelicon-article-link.gif was able to practice fully, Marrone wants to see more before cementing him as the starting quarterback Sunday.

“We had both quarterbacks taking snaps,” said Marrone in reference to Manuel and Thad Lewisicon-article-link.gif, who also returned from injury Wednesday. “I feel good. Both guys have been out for a while so there’s a little bit of rust that they’re working through. I’m just going to keep it going during the week and I think that we’ll see where we go as far as who the starter is.

“EJ is obviously taking more reps than Thad right now. I just want to make sure I feel comfortable before I come out with a statement. But right now we’re working with both of those guys.”

Lewis did not practice at all last week after suffering badly bruised ribs in Week 8 at New Orleans, but he too was a full participant in practice and worked through as the backup quarterback behind Manuel in the rotation.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Marrone holds on Manuel decision

Wednesday was the first day that Bills head coach Doug Marrone watched his starting quarterback in the full practice setting since he sustained an LCL knee injury in Week 5. Though EJ Manuelicon-article-link.gif was able to practice fully, Marrone wants to see more before cementing him as the starting quarterback Sunday.

“We had both quarterbacks taking snaps,” said Marrone in reference to Manuel and Thad Lewisicon-article-link.gif, who also returned from injury Wednesday. “I feel good. Both guys have been out for a while so there’s a little bit of rust that they’re working through. I’m just going to keep it going during the week and I think that we’ll see where we go as far as who the starter is.

“EJ is obviously taking more reps than Thad right now. I just want to make sure I feel comfortable before I come out with a statement. But right now we’re working with both of those guys.”

Lewis did not practice at all last week after suffering badly bruised ribs in Week 8 at New Orleans, but he too was a full participant in practice and worked through as the backup quarterback behind Manuel in the rotation.

Ok, QBs are healthy, defense playing well and hopefully more consistent. I see a win this week.

If EJ proves he's ok and plays this week, why don't they practice squad Tuel and bring in someone who can contribute whether as a backup or on special teams? It seems pretty clear that once EJ is deemed fully recovered that he will take all of the first string reps and we will want to make sure Thad gets all of the other reps to keep him ready just in case

If EJ proves he's ok and plays this week, why don't they practice squad Tuel and bring in someone who can contribute whether as a backup or on special teams? It seems pretty clear that once EJ is deemed fully recovered that he will take all of the first string reps and we will want to make sure Thad gets all of the other reps to keep him ready just in case

Can't imagine that the Bills would drop down to 2 QBs on the active roster with all that has happened with injuries this season.

Ok, QBs are healthy, defense playing well and hopefully more consistent. I see a win this week.

For the first time in a while, I feel they can beat the Steelers in Pittsburgh. I probably just jinxed it, too.

I just want Manuel out there if he's as healthy as he can be. We don't need to rush him back, even though he needs the NFL experience. This guy is the latest franchise - let's not irreparably damage him.

For the first time in a while, I feel they can beat the Steelers in Pittsburgh. I probably just jinxed it, too.

I just want Manuel out there if he's as healthy as he can be. We don't need to rush him back, even though he needs the NFL experience. This guy is the latest franchise - let's not irreparably damage him.

DRs cleared him and he seems to be ok. Just a sprain no major surgery. He'll be fine.

Despite a few people screaming about one throw on Sunday, Tuel showed enough that he would likely be claimed if released. Someone would take a flyer on a guy that for the most part was pretty poised against a good defense

Despite a few people screaming about one throw on Sunday, Tuel showed enough that he would likely be claimed if released. Someone would take a flyer on a guy that for the most part was pretty poised against a good defense

He did? Not from what I saw. Far too many inaccurate passes that included both overthrows and underthrows. I wasn't impressed at all.

If anything, he probably could have played sooner. Sprains are tricky though...

I haven't seen this mentioned, but one "positive" to EJ's injury may be that the left knee -- the one he actually had surgery on -- has gotten an additional five weeks of recovery.

Very interesting point -- hadn't thought of that, or even considered if the 2 injuries were to the same knee or not.

As a developmental 3rd QB? If I was a GM and saw Tuel go on the waiver wire I'd make a claim. JMO

That's what the Practice Squad is for. There's no way IMO that Tuel is worthy of being on any NFL team's active roster at this stage of his career. Had Kolb not suffered the preseason concussion, he would have been right where he belongs....on the Bills' PS.

That's what the Practice Squad is for. There's no way IMO that Tuel is worthy of being on any NFL team's active roster at this stage of his career. Had Kolb not suffered the preseason concussion, he would have been right where he belongs....on the Bills' PS.

Exactly... that was where it all began...

18/39 with 2 picks=poised? A 45 QBR (52 in this game) screams take a flyer on him?

He made that one throw to Goodwin but blew 10 others. I'm not so sure all the GMs in the land are clamoring for his poise....

18/39 with 2 picks=poised? A 45 QBR (52 in this game) screams take a flyer on him?

He made that one throw to Goodwin but blew 10 others. I'm not so sure all the GMs in the land are clamoring for his poise....

There are some folks on here who saw a completely different performance that what I saw from Tuel. I agree with you, I can't imagine anyone wanting him right now, especially with all the QBs coming out of the draft next year. Maybe New England signs him to the PS so they can download the playbook from his brain.

Luckily, I don't think he sees the field again for a couple years, barring another rash of injuries. You can be sure that next year Buffalo has a much better plan for the backup position (recognizing that it was a bit unusual what happened this year).

Let's hope Eeej plays out the year and shows a lot of promise!!

Go Bills!

I haven't seen this mentioned, but one "positive" to EJ's injury may be that the left knee -- the one he actually had surgery on -- has gotten an additional five weeks of recovery.

Hmmm. What's better, one knee completely healthy and the other banged up twice. Or each knee banged up once. Not sure.