Colin Brown to be released

Bangarang

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously. People are upset I question the move? We didn't address LG in the off season. We did not do anything in regard to LG until this? He knows the playbook and he has played some. Chemistry on the OL is hard to explain.

Marrone, as a former offensive lineman and offensive line coach, was asked about the value of chemistry on the OL early in the season. He basically said that he thinks it's overrated. He believes that you put the 5 best players out there and it's his job as the coach (or maybe specifically the OL coach) to get them to play well together.

I remember Nix on the John Murphy show awhile back, explaining why they let Levitre and Reinhart leave... something to the effect that they had several "good" players that will step up. This was before Legursky was even signed.

Not a specific dig on Nix, just funny I guess.

“Not at all. Not at all,” said Nix, according to the Bills website. ”I know people have said we’re taking one of those top two guards. Our roster in house is better than I think we get credit for especially offensive line. We’re pretty deep there. We’ve got six guards and we think a couple of them can play.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/57578/bills-gm-buddy-nix-guard-not-a-need

People actually believed him too.

The point is that Brown doesn't belong on an NFL roster. Legursky is the starter, and they picked up a backup guard last week. Bye-bye Colin.

Depth chart lists Mark Asper as Legursky's backup.

Let's review (from Wiki):

Professional career

Projected as a seventh round selection by Sports Illustrated, Asper was ranked as the No. 18 offensive tackle available in the 2012 NFL Draft.[1] SI noted his "limited upside in the NFL" and labeled him "as an inexpensive utility lineman".[2]

He was cut by the Bills on August 31, 2012, and subsequently claimed off waivers by the Minnesota Vikings on September 1, 2012.[3]

Asper was claimed off waivers from the Vikings by the Jacksonville Jaguars on December 24, 2012. He was released by the Jaguars on August 25, 2013.

On September 1st 2013 he was signed to the practice squad of the Buffalo Bills.

I can't believe how many people are praising Marrone/Whaley for cutting Colin Brown. Releasing a truly terrible player, the worst offensive linemen in the league no less, shouldn't be praiseworthy. That's something that any team would do. What we all should be doing is condemning the fact that they chose to enter this season with Colin Brown as our team's starting left guard.

When you're in a total rebuild situation, you have to do it. ;)

I can't believe how many people are praising Marrone/Whaley for cutting Colin Brown. Releasing a truly terrible player, the worst offensive linemen in the league no less, shouldn't be praiseworthy. That's something that any team would do. What we all should be doing is condemning the fact that they chose to enter this season with Colin Brown as our team's starting left guard.

What you forget is that, after a dozen years, when we ask "What are they going to do about X?" we're conditioned to expect a response along the lines of "I have to look at the tape" or "He had a good practice Friday, it just didn't translate to game time."

This may not be a breath of fresh air...but it's at least a breath of mildly bovine air after a dozen years of inhaling eau de skunk.

What you forget is that, after a dozen years, when we ask "What are they going to do about X?" we're conditioned to expect a response along the lines of "I have to look at the tape" or "He had a good practice Friday, it just didn't translate to game time."

This may not be a breath of fresh air...but it's at least a breath of mildly bovine air after a dozen years of inhaling eau de skunk.

it is that.

Colin Brown was garbage. He and Sam Young were turnstiles. Good riddance. I'm shocked anyone would be against this move.

I think the logic for those concerned with the cut is.....

If Legursky gets injured, who fills in for him.....and why wasn't that player starting instead of Brown two weeks ago?

Blatnik done. Hmmm, I guess?

Which end is the air coming from. It can smell worse from the front.

Marrone, as a former offensive lineman and offensive line coach, was asked about the value of chemistry on the OL early in the season. He basically said that he thinks it's overrated. He believes that you put the 5 best players out there and it's his job as the coach (or maybe specifically the OL coach) to get them to play well together.

thanks. I'll have to think on that. Wait. Maybe not. He played OL at a higher level then I did. Thought done.

Gotta give the Bills credit here. They could never have known that letting Levitre go would mean Brown would stink so bad. But, in their infinite wisdom, they signed someone the Steelers didn't want to make sure they were set at LG.

Well, if you can't anticipate problems, work like heck after they're obvious to show you're trying. ;) They're rebuilding anyway.