What are the 3 MOST IMPORTANT THINGS for building a championship team

PolishDave

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So having a really solid quarterback, if not a great one is not important?

SB 47 - Flacco - good QB

SB 46 - Eli Manning - good QB

SB 45 - Aaron Rogers - great QB

SB 44- Drew Brees - great QB

SB 43 - Big Ben - good QB

SB 42 - Eli Manning - Good QB

SB 41 - Payeton Manning - great QB

SB 40 - Big Ben - poor QB at that time

SB 39 - Tom Brady - great QB

SB 38 - Tom Brady - Great QB

SB 37 - Brad Johnson - poor QB

SB 36 - Tom Brady - good QB at the time

SB 35 - Trent Dilfer - poor QB

SB 34 - Kurt Warner - Great QB

I'm not seeing how the QB position doesn't play a role in building a championship side.

maybe I'm missing something

This is a bit understated too. In some of those Super Bowls, even the "good" QB's had great Super Bowl games. e.g., Eli and Big Ben GW TD's.

This is a bit understated too. In some of those Super Bowls, even the "good" QB's had great Super Bowl games. e.g., Eli and Big Ben GW TD's.

And I think Big Ben is very, very good. Not many QBs have played behind such a bad oline and produced as much as he has. Stats don't tell the whole picture with him.

I really don't know how it cannot be QB, coach, pass rush? I really am not sure that it can be debated. It is a passing league won by teams that can throw the ball. So you need to be able to throw it and defend against that. If you do no scheme appropriately (see Wannstedt, Dave) it doesn't matter who is out there playing.

I would classify both Ben and Eli as "great" QBs.

My opinion listed in order of importance:

1) Must have an above average run stopping defense

2) Must have an awesome pass rush (close to best in the league)

3) Must have a consistent deep threat passing the ball that other teams fear constantly

I am a firm believer in the idea that you are better off having an above average defense rather than an above average offense if you could only have one or the other. I believe that because I think it is easier to play consistently good defense than it is to play consistently good offense.

So, if I was a head coach in the NFL, those three attributes would be the three top things on my “overall philosophy” of building a championship team.

I am excited for the Bills because I see them getting much better at number one and two. Actually I believe that is the only reason that our games this season haven't been one sided blowouts against us.

I am not too optimistic about number three on my list given the way that the Bills have been playing so far this year.

What is your take?

1. Quarterback

2. Coaching

3. Pass Rush

That was an easy question for me.

Agreed. If you have those you probably have both the right people running your franchise and a commitment to winning.

The Bills have never really had top quality at all 3 at any given time.