Andy Levitre

BreezeMafia

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Overpaying for Levitre would not have been a wise move because of you pay him then that sets the standards for the tackles who will want more money.

Guards arent as important and you can replace them. Tackles are what you invest in.

The standard is set based on league wide averages, not the Bills ---- the tackles on Buffalo (Glenn in this case) will use Levitre's deal whether he signed with Buffalo or Tennessee

The standard is set based on league wide averages, not the Bills ---- the tackles on Buffalo (Glenn in this case) will use Levitre's deal whether he signed with Buffalo or Tennessee

And if he keeps playing as he has, Glenn will be more than worth it and the Bills will have no problem signing him. But if he keeps playing as well as he has, I doubt he'll settle for Levitre money, anyway.

GO BILLS!!!

Overpaying for Levitre would not have been a wise move because of you pay him then that sets the standards for the tackles who will want more money.

Guards arent as important and you can replace them. Tackles are what you invest in.

if Levitre played left guard for the bills yesterday, we would have beat the Jets.

paying a stud like Levitre $7.8 million/year is money well spent. he makes your running AND passing game better.

if only we had over $19 mil in available cap space.......oh wait......we do.

if Levitre played left guard for the bills yesterday, we would have beat the Jets.

paying a stud like Levitre $7.8 million/year is money well spent. he makes your running AND passing game better.

if only we had over $19 mil in available cap space.......oh wait......we do.

Lol b.c you said it makes it the truth?

Will we pay Glenn or trade him ala Peters bc we dont want to pay a LT 11 mill a year? (which Glenn is showing he will be worth)

I say the will either pay him or tag him when the time comes. Hopefully, they'll extend him before it gets that far but he's earning every penny of that future deal as I type this.

GO BILLS!!!

How do we all feel about giving a guard big time money now? Just saying. When he was playing for the Bills, he was no doubt our best O Lineman. Looks like we will have to revisit the guard spot in April 2014.

Big mistake. Unless you think Colin Brown is just as good. If you saw yesterday's game the answer is obvious.

I dont recall ever reading that the Bills made a contract offer to Levitre and that bothers me to no end (refresh my memory with a link to an offer if you can). To think that our offseason plans were to let AL and CR walk without offering them contracts and then playing hardball with JB by offering him a contract and refusing to negotiate is astounding. That sounds like a plan for discarding your best players and fielding a losing football team to me.

First off there is no question Levitre is a good player...every Bills fan knows it and every Bills fan would have like to have seen Levitre come back at a fair price...

But the problem was not letting Levitre go for outrageous OG money...The problem is, and will continue to be, not finding a viable replacement for him in Free Agency or in the Draft... B-)

I agree. But I think what gets lost in the simplicity of these arguments is that the Bills didn't simply have two options: to (1) pay Levitre premium dollar in a talent-starved free agent market, or (2) to let him go. The Bills could have done with Levitre what they did with Eric Wood this year, or with Fitzpatrick two years ago, or with any number of previous veterans that they rightly or wrongly recognized as important fixtures of their roster: they could have negotiated a contract well IN ADVANCE of free agency (likely by a full season, as with Wood), and kept competitors from dictating (or driving up) his value.

Granted, BOTH sides need to be interested in coming to these agreements early, but most players tend to be willing to trade the possibility of a premium contract for the security of long-term agreement one year before their current contract elapses. The Bills certainly understand this, but while there were some preliminary discussions (if memory serves) with Levitre early last year, they didn't last very long, and there wasn't a lot of interest on the part of the Bills in keeping discussions open-- with Levitre OR Byrd. The Bills instead took a chance, saved money last year, and ended up losing (arguably with both players). I know Whaley wanted to set a precedent-- he didn't want to get kicked around by aggressive negotiations, especially with Wood, Spiller, and others soon to enter contract years-- but the BILLS could have set a far more important one by locking up their core players BEFORE they hit the market. The front office's approach to Eric Wood-- showing loyalty and providing security by extending him early-- set a far more valuable precedent than letting Levitre walk (who did that benefit?) or playing hardball with Byrd.

I agree. But I think what gets lost in the simplicity of these arguments is that the Bills didn't simply have two options: to (1) pay Levitre premium dollar in a talent-starved free agent market, or (2) to let him go. The Bills could have done with Levitre what they did with Eric Wood this year, or with Fitzpatrick two years ago, or with any number of previous veterans that they rightly or wrongly recognized as important fixtures of their roster: they could have negotiated a contract well IN ADVANCE of free agency (likely by a full season, as with Wood), and kept competitors from dictating (or driving up) his value.

Granted, BOTH sides need to be interested in coming to these agreements early, but most players tend to be willing to trade the possibility of a premium contract for the security of long-term agreement one year before their current contract elapses. The Bills certainly understand this, but while there were some preliminary discussions (if memory serves) with Levitre early last year, they didn't last very long, and there wasn't a lot of interest on the part of the Bills in keeping discussions open-- with Levitre OR Byrd. The Bills instead took a chance, saved money last year, and ended up losing (arguably with both players). I know Whaley wanted to set a precedent-- he didn't want to get kicked around by aggressive negotiations, especially with Wood, Spiller, and others soon to enter contract years-- but the BILLS could have set a far more important one by locking up their core players BEFORE they hit the market. The front office's approach to Eric Wood-- showing loyalty and providing security by extending him early-- set a far more valuable precedent than letting Levitre walk (who did that benefit?) or playing hardball with Byrd.

Correct --- if you are "forward thinking" FO, you identify talented players BEFORE they hit FA year and extend them --- what is astonishing about Brandon is that he stood up in front of all Bills fans and proclaimed the Bills were going in a new direction to rebuild the tarnished brand, blah, blah, blah . . . . or we should say BS, BS and more BS !!

Edited by TXBILLSFAN

A very good player can have a huge impact on a game.....especially when the other option is a very bad player. As you mentioned, some sustained offensive drives would have helped this defense. I expect the injuries to keep piling up. The Carrington injury looked like it was just fatigue getting the best of him and his plant leg giving out. Teams with good offensive lines will do that to you.

So true. This is one of the toughest things to explain to people on a message board imo. The Bills defense with Bryce, Bruce, and Big Ted could have been one of the best ever imo. I am talking top 10, perhaps less. But the Bills had poor qb play and NO blocking. I mean zero, and this great defense was often gassed in the 4th quarter.

Call me old school, whatever. But I cannot picture a place in this football league when it will make sense to let your best blocker walk.

There is a myth making the rounds that we couldn't afford both Levitre and Wood. I'm calling B.S. Letting Levitre walk was Overdorf drawing a line in the sand and deciding that Levitre is worth x, and Levitre's camp saying he's worth x plus $1M (or $2M), and Overdorf not budging. In the meantime, nothing - and I mean absolutely nothing - was done proactively before (or during) the offseason to address the issue of Levitre's potential departure. In short, it was a typical OBD clusterf--.

TBD Myth Number Two: a young "rebuilding" team with a rookie QB doesn't need to pay for a quality LG. Honestly, I can't fathom how anyone could buy into this one. Doesn't your rookie QB need to be protected in the passing game, and with a quality running game?

And when are the fans around here finally going to stop buying into the 3-year rebuilding cycle that keeps occurring? How about we actually load up and try to win this year?

dont worry this 3 yr rebuild will work.....really...................................................................................................................just trust this Bills adm.

I wouldn't overpay for a LG especially since this team is in rebuild mode.

You pay for good players no matter the position. We do not have agood player at that position. You can say that overpaying at a spot is not smart. Underpaying at that spot that costs you games is even dumber.

You don't pay him LT money if he is signed before the 2012 season. That is how you get these guys at a discount. Redo their rookie deals early. Use the worry of injury to get them at a small discount. Maybe they tried. I'm guessing they didn't because they blew their wad on Mario and Anderson. RW then said no more signing bonus money between his tablespoons of baby food. Nix was wrong when he said you can't sign them all. He knew they were both up for new deals. All he needed was one of them to sign early and the core of the team is intact.

Has anyone bothered to look at the Titan blogs and articles? If they did they would see that they are full of complaints about Locker needing better protection from an o-line that has Womack and Levitre as their bookend guards.

I am not saying that it was not a mistake to not address the guard position - it was, but paying Levitre the kind of coin the Titans did when he was nursing a bum knee does not make a lot of sense when rebuilding.

The coaching staff did not seem to have much faith in any of our left guard candidates through camp. We will see...next year's draft DB, OL, TE, and maybe throw in a 2-gap wide body run stuffer to boot.

Getting pretty tired of losing though, but we do not have that veteran all-star QB to hide all our team warts like NE does. No choice but to take our lumps, and hope the kid is not ruined before he finds his game.

I dont recall ever reading that the Bills made a contract offer to Levitre and that bothers me to no end (refresh my memory with a link to an offer if you can). To think that our offseason plans were to let AL and CR walk without offering them contracts and then playing hardball with JB by offering him a contract and refusing to negotiate is astounding. That sounds like a plan for discarding your best players and fielding a losing football team to me.

You might want to check the facts before voicing an opinion.

Levitre, who was a great player for the Bills, made it plain that he was going to test free agency. He did and received an offer that the Bills or most of the other NFL teams wouldn't dream of matching. The Bills were remiss in not bringing in an adequate replacement.

"I'm in limbo right now," Levitre told me this afternoon from his home in Northern California. "I don't know what their plan is.

"Now that Jairus got his franchise tag, there's a week and a half for them to work a deal out with me. But I haven't been offered anything yet. We're waiting around to see if something will pop up."

"It would be in the Bills' best interests to at least throw me an offer to see if we can get this thing rolling. There's a lot of unknown for me."

"If the Bills offer me a fair deal, I would love to stay there," Levitre said. "I'm very familiar with the place. I love the people there. My girlfriend's from there. There are a lot of reasons to be there.

"It would be great to come back, but I understand the business aspect of it. Sometimes, things don't work out. Hopefully, we'll know something soon."

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-coverage/2013/03/andy-levitre-is-waiting-bills-should-at-least-throw-me-an-offer.html

I would have loved giving Rinehart 2 million dollars a year.

Yeah, this was the much bigger mistake made IMO. They had a decent talent in Rinehart who they could have signed for relatively low money.....and they obviously didn't fully recognize that talent and/or overestimated the talent left on the roster.

"I'm in limbo right now," Levitre told me this afternoon from his home in Northern California. "I don't know what their plan is.

"Now that Jairus got his franchise tag, there's a week and a half for them to work a deal out with me. But I haven't been offered anything yet. We're waiting around to see if something will pop up."

"It would be in the Bills' best interests to at least throw me an offer to see if we can get this thing rolling. There's a lot of unknown for me."

"If the Bills offer me a fair deal, I would love to stay there," Levitre said. "I'm very familiar with the place. I love the people there. My girlfriend's from there. There are a lot of reasons to be there.

"It would be great to come back, but I understand the business aspect of it. Sometimes, things don't work out. Hopefully, we'll know something soon."

http://blogs.buffalo...e-an-offer.html

If what Levitre said back then is even 1/2 true, what an indictment to this FO --- again, Brandon is the problem -- get rid of him and we might have a chance --- isn't 13 years enough misery for one fan base

Edited by TXBILLSFAN

I can understand not wanting to pay that kind of cash for a Guard...Levitre is a a good solid guard, not great, so i can get past letting him go. I can never understand why the position was never addressed, not by an aging vet, not by retaining rhinehart, not by the draft....Colin Brown who has never been good in his life was handed the job.

LG Andy Levitre wouldn't fix the Bills offensive woes all by himself. Would he be able to help that left side run pass / run block better then they currently are, sure thing. But the scheme, and play calling are dooming this offense more then one player can fix.

The Bills need more then one upgrade on that O line IMO. They also need a decent pass catching TE that can run after the catch.

You don't give OT money to a guard.

Play-calling was a bigger issue than O-line play. EJ took a couple of those sacks because he held the ball too long. He's a rookie. The pass protection was good enough.

I think the money you give a guy is a function of the distance between the quality of his play and that of his replacement. Using that measure, Levitre was invaluable.

LG Andy Levitre wouldn't fix the Bills offensive woes all by himself. Would he be able to help that left side run pass / run block better then they currently are, sure thing. But the scheme, and play calling are dooming this offense more then one player can fix.

The Bills need more then one upgrade on that O line IMO. They also need a decent pass catching TE that can run after the catch.

it's about TIME & SPACE

EJ has less time & CJ has less space. Levitre provides more of both.

Fact: if the Bills never let go of Peters and Levitre, they would have never lost a game. I wonder how many fans can name the starting guards of the 3-0 Bears? guards are very easily replaced and I still won't pay AL that much money. But as others have said, the problem is not getting some better than Brown to be the replacement.

You don't pay him LT money if he is signed before the 2012 season. That is how you get these guys at a discount. Redo their rookie deals early. Use the worry of injury to get them at a small discount. Maybe they tried. I'm guessing they didn't because they blew their wad on Mario and Anderson. RW then said no more signing bonus money between his tablespoons of baby food. Nix was wrong when he said you can't sign them all. He knew they were both up for new deals. All he needed was one of them to sign early and the core of the team is intact.

I think many neglect that if we gave him a 6m raise last year and then paid him 7m a year instead of closer to 8 like the titans, we'd just be shifting money around not actually saving. I don't think we were getting him at a massive discount last year. He wanted to maximize money, and that's his choice to make - can't fault him.