Who tops your list of "he's just not cuttn' it?" Who d

Armchair GM

He's Lee Evans on the Ravens! Reminds me of one of the all time most pathetic discussions on Evans in Baltimore after he was invisible for half his first season there : that he was having a big impact because he could stretch the field. If TJ isn't catching the ball or being targeted, he's not stretching the field. Running a fast guy deep doesn't fool or get the attention of defenses. Catching the long ball does.

I hope he starts catching some soon.

Chandler has my vote for biggest disappointment so far.

RTB

Lee Evans and TJ Graham are doubled on every play! Every Play I tell you!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems to me that we don't really need Byrd back there. At least not as much as we need solid depth at CB. Williams and Searcy seem to be holding their own at the saftey positions and Duke Williams is not underwhelming when he's played. I say trade Byrd before the deadline with a CB rich team that can spare a good CB2. Use that guy until Gilmore comes back to replace rogers and keep rogers for nickel and dime packages. Makes more sense then putting Rogers out there to get burnt. OR another trade scenario would be for a Guard to replace Brown cause he obviously has consistently under performed & Cut Brown when Legursky gets healthy.

Never liked graham. My past post of TJ GRAHAM MIA sums it up.

Chandler is rusty, mid season he'll open it back up and be 100% , right now he's playing timid. It's understandable and he's still the best we have at TE. Gragg needs a year to surpass Smith since Smith is a better blocker and Gragg has to develop more as a route runner.

Spiller hasn't played up to the hype. He'll have an occasional good run, but then gets stuffed at the line too much. Never liked his pick in the draft, too high and wrong position at the time, but that's Buddy's fault not his. I feel more confident when Fred is in that the RB will get positive yardage.

Brown was leading the competition before Legursky got hurt. He (Legursky) did not have a good preseason.

Brown won the competition without the injury.

Legursky is not a good offensive lineman.

He is little and fat and will be out of shape and not able to run with the speed of this team after taking two months off.

Don't expect Legursky to see the field when he heals unless there are injuries.

I have been rooting and pulling for Easley since he has been on the team. At some point, the injuries, all of the things that have gone wrong for the kid, they become a moot point. True, this year he has been solid on special teams, but every year in pre-season, he lights it up, has a highlight reel play, and then during the regular season, he's pretty much invisible (when healthy). I really think he needs to contribute as a WR this year, and in a noticeable way to earn a roster spot. Honestly I'm sure you can find a street free agent or late round draft pick at receiver to contribute on special teams. Just my humble opinion.

It seems to be almost universal on this board that Brown is an obvious liability on this team. None of us is a professional NFL coach, so either we are missing something not so obvious about his ability, or the coaches or front office are the ones not cutting it. If someone is so obviously a liability at their position and yet 3 games into the season is still is kept in there, who's fault is it that they are even playing in the game?

If the coaches and the front office are not either finding the talent on the team, or going out and bringing in talent to replace them with someone who is at minimum not a liability, it is their fault. Not the player trying his best, but being put in a position that he is not qualified to be in.

or they made a calculated decision that he wouldnt be a crippling liability (which he hasnt) and they didnt like other options, or thought legursky was a real option or something we dont know. even great teams have threads like this.

Spiller hasn't played up to the hype. He'll have an occasional good run, but then gets stuffed at the line too much. Never liked his pick in the draft, too high and wrong position at the time, but that's Buddy's fault not his. I feel more confident when Fred is in that the RB will get positive yardage.

Yes because averaging 6 YPC and being a home run threat every time he touches the ball is a bad thing

or they made a calculated decision that he wouldnt be a crippling liability (which he hasnt) and they didnt like other options, or thought legursky was a real option or something we dont know. even great teams have threads like this.

Legursky was the backup when he was healthy and by many accounts WORSE than Brown

Yes because averaging 6 YPC and being a home run threat every time he touches the ball is a bad thing

The lack of consistency is drive killing. I'd rather have a FJ type who gets his yards consistently and occassionally rattles off a chunk than Spiller who puts you in 3rd and long far too often.

The lack of consistency is drive killing. I'd rather have a FJ type who gets his yards consistently and occassionally rattles off a chunk than Spiller who puts you in 3rd and long far too often.

I think that's an exaggeration, going back to his first year and a half in the league. He admittedly had a bad game week one, and last week I only recall one "uh-oh" run that lost significant yardage. He's generally getting to the line of scrimmage, and having that "home run" threat is huge. It arguably saved the game last week, since his monster run early in the 4th set up the Bills FG.

Last year, I'd say Sheppard and Aaron Williams. This year, I like Williams as a safety and thrilled that Sheppard is gone. I only worry about TJ. I caught the 10 o'clock news the other night. They show a tiny snipet of Bills practice footage. EJ throws a perfect pass to TJ. He completely bobbles it, then pops it into the air, bouncing it off his helmet before catching it. No wonder EJ isn't targeting him much in games. Sadly, this is all I've ever seen from TJ. Extreme clumsiness. He lacks in just about every aspect of the WR skill set. Isn't this obvious to just about everyone at this point? It should be!! Not sure about Chandler. EJ has thrown him some bad passes. Colin Brown might come around. Carrington has been silent, but I have faith he'll make some plays and the D line as a whole has done it's job. Overall this team seems a lot more solid than in years past.

TE position is huge weak spot. With this kinda O, he need a TE that can run after catch. Chandler was slow to begin with and was good with Fitz cuz Fitz was always high on passes and he's 6'7. But in this O, lots of drop offs and quick hitters to TE and Chandler cant do that. Fortunately, it wasnt a fumble when he dropped that pass early in game. Celek from Eagles took the same play for like 40 yards in week 1.. I was really hoping we would address TE in draft and not in 7th round. Hopefully next draft.

Brown has been weak spot on OL, Carrington has been OK, just hasnt shown in stat sheets YET..

TJ Graham reminds me on Featherstone in movie Necessary Roughness! LOL

He's not crippling only because he's sandwiched between Glenn and Wood. I just went through two games of coaches' film, and I have never seen a lineman be so consistently chasing the man he's supposed to be blocking. More than a few broken plays - Spiller's fumble last week, Spiller's nine yard loss this week, Jackson's four yard loss in the first quarter this week - can be traced directly to a missed block by Brown.

His failures are so complete, they're almost entertaining to watch (his blocking on Spiller's nine yard loss is so awful it's strangely compelling...it's not every day you see the left guard let the RDT force a run over the right guard back inside. I'd post screen captures if I could.) If someone's tackling Spiller, you can be pretty sure that Colin Brown is standing nearby, watching.

I have been rooting and pulling for Easley since he has been on the team. At some point, the injuries, all of the things that have gone wrong for the kid, they become a moot point. True, this year he has been solid on special teams, but every year in pre-season, he lights it up, has a highlight reel play, and then during the regular season, he's pretty much invisible (when healthy). I really think he needs to contribute as a WR this year, and in a noticeable way to earn a roster spot. Honestly I'm sure you can find a street free agent or late round draft pick at receiver to contribute on special teams. Just my humble opinion.

Dude, you do realize that his 1st 2 years he was IR'd, last year on the practice squad? You make it sound as though he's seen the playing field during the regular season, which AFAIK he has not until this year - and this year only on ST so far.

Graham, on the other hand, has had a shot at the playing field.. I think he is getting a break because he's been open at times and EJ has missed him short but I don't like his hands, I don't like his blocking, and I don't see his ability to avoid the jam on the line. I would like to see Easley get a shot.

I think that's an exaggeration, going back to his first year and a half in the league. He admittedly had a bad game week one, and last week I only recall one "uh-oh" run that lost significant yardage. He's generally getting to the line of scrimmage, and having that "home run" threat is huge. It arguably saved the game last week, since his monster run early in the 4th set up the Bills FG.

So far this year Spiller has consistently gained little, nothing or negative yardage. Look at the numbers thus far:

CJ has 33 total carries. 17 of these carries have gone for 2 or fewer yards.

FJ has 26 total carries. 9 of these have gone for 2 or fewer yards. Consider that FJ gets the majority of the short yardage runs which figure into this as well and don't help this stat but it's still better than Spiller's.

CJ has 3 carries which gained 10+ yards out of his 33 (2 or which went over 20)

FJ has 4 carries which gained 10+ yards out of his 26 (none over 20)

So yeah, CJ is a bigger threat for the long runs but is consistently putting the team in long situations worth those few gains? I don't know, but I do know I get frustrated seeing him dance in the backfield while gaining little or nothing. I do like his big play ability but I wonder why it comes at the cost of getting stuffed half the time. He just needs to stop trying to run everything outside, take what the D gives and he'd still get the big runs when there's a big hole and get gets to the 2nd level. His big gains rarely come from trying to get outside the tackles. They usually come from hitting the cutback lane. Imagine what he'd average per carry if he got rid of all these runs that get stuffed at the LoS.

Lol

Not sure why you're laughing, the poster was right. Spiller gets stuffed at the line too much. At least in terms of what we've seen thus far.

So far this year Spiller has consistently gained little, nothing or negative yardage. Look at the numbers thus far:

CJ has 33 total carries. 17 of these carries have gone for 2 or fewer yards.

FJ has 26 total carries. 9 of these have gone for 2 or fewer yards. Consider that FJ gets the majority of the short yardage runs which figure into this as well and don't help this stat but it's still better than Spiller's.

CJ has 3 carries which gained 10+ yards out of his 33 (2 or which went over 20)

FJ has 4 carries which gained 10+ yards out of his 26 (none over 20)

So yeah, CJ is a bigger threat for the long runs but is consistently putting the team in long situations worth those few gains? I don't know, but I do know I get frustrated seeing him dance in the backfield while gaining little or nothing. I do like his big play ability but I wonder why it comes at the cost of getting stuffed half the time. He just needs to stop trying to run everything outside, take what the D gives and he'd still get the big runs when there's a big hole and get gets to the 2nd level. His big gains rarely come from trying to get outside the tackles. They usually come from hitting the cutback lane. Imagine what he'd average per carry if he got rid of all these runs that get stuffed at the LoS.

Not sure why you're laughing, the poster was right. Spiller gets stuffed at the line too much. At least in terms of what we've seen thus far.

Two things:

1) I'm gonna guess Spiller was much better against Carolina than New England and I would say that he was better last year than he was against New England in week one so I think your numbers are a bit skewed. He played poorly against New England and he and everyone else admitted it.

2) Barry Sanders had a similar run profile as the one you just broke down for us. Like Spiller he was a home run hitter. Consistent gains vs "chunk yardage" would be a good discussion for sabermetricians as far as determining which type of runner is more important to game outcomes.

Food for thought:

Most 20+ yard runs in 2012:

Adrian Peterson 27

C.J. Spiller 12

Jamaal Charles 11

Doug Martin 11

Most 20+ yard runs in one season:

2012 Adrian Peterson- 27

2009 Chris Johnson- 22

2008 Adrian Peterson- 20

1997 Barry Sanders- 19

1994 Barry Sanders- 18

1998 Jamal Anderson- 17

1993 Barry Sanders-16

1995 Barry Sanders- 16

2003 Jamal Lewis- 16

2003 Deuce McAllister-16

2005 Tiki Barber- 16

CJ had fewer carries (207) than any of the other running backs on these lists.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan