$22,846,458.00 available cap space is GONE

papazoid

$22,846,458.00 current available cap space.

EDIT UPDATE: now $19,408,017.00 current available cap space (as of 9/11)

BAD NEWS....all of it is going to be used up next year with the players we already have.

NAME - 2013 Cap - projected 2014 CAP

Mario - $12.4 - $18.4

Stevie - $5.6 - $8.5

Kyle - $5.9 - $5.8

Marcell - $5.5 - $6.5

CJ - $3.7 - $4.2

Freddy - $3.7 - $3.7

Eric Wood - $3.3 - $5.3

Leodis - $3.0 - $4.2

Pears - $2.8 - $3.5

Urbik - $2.8 - $3.3

Fitz - $3.0 - $7.0 (dead money)

TOTAL - $54.4 - $73.4

http://www.sportscity.com/nfl/salaries/buffalo-bills-salaries/

Edited by papazoid

As you can see here, Bills are in pretty good cap shape compared to rest of NFL...

We have $110 million committed to cap next year which includes 11.5 mil in dead money. Only 10 teams have more available cap room than we do next year and many of those teams have under 40 players under contract with some having low 30s and one 28...Bills have 43, so if they had and equal number, they would likely exceed our cap number or be right with us...

we also get to add our 22.5 mil to next year's cap, so if it stays the same we likely have over 35 million in available cap room next year...

http://overthecap.com/nfl-cap-space2.php?Year=2014

Saints and Cowboys flirting with disaster as they are well over cap room with only 43 and 46 players under contract...lots of restructuring or cutting going on there...

Edited by matter2003

$22,846,458.00 current available cap space.

BAD NEWS....all of it is going to be used up next year with the players we already have.

Mario - $12.4 - $18.4

Stevie - $5.6 - $8.5

Kyle - $5.9 - $5.8

Marcell - $5.5 - $6.5

CJ - $3.7 - $4.2

Freddy - $3.7 - $3.7

Eric Wood - $3.3 - $5.3

Leodis - $3.0 - $4.2

Pears - $2.8 - $3.5

Urbik - $2.8 - $3.3

TOTAL - $54.4 - $73.4

http://www.sportscit...bills-salaries/

I want the Bills to Be Bowl Bound Baby

why the heck is fitcrapick on next year's insteda of this year?

Sir, the Bills Business model has always been the bottom line. Profit.

Thanks for asking though

Regards, Jeff Littman

Ya but would he restructure?

CBF

Cut him then. His guarantees are all paid out this year. Edited by Best Player Available

Pretty sure Mario will be restructured...no way they allow an 18+ mil cap hit to hit the books

if Mario says no to a restructure and you cut Mario after this season, you will have $17.8 million worth of DEAD MONEY to spread out over the 2014 & 2015 seasons.

All you need to know is that the Bills have over $20M in cap room left over this season and yet they are rolling dead money into next season.

I am kind of incredulous that Bills fans know this........yet are concerned about the cap next year.

I am critical of the Bills organization but by no means do I think they are so stupid that they would do that and then somehow end up in a spot where they didn't have enough money to field the team they intended to.

They simply aren't going to be spending any closer to the cap then they have to.

So if I understand this thread correctly, with the rollover, restructuring and cuts the Bills will still have $15m - 20m in cap space next season the way things look now, correct? So it's not gone.

folks keep asking "why are they sitting on over $22 million in cap space"

#1- because $19 million of it will be used up by their core players in scheduled increases if they do nothing.

#2- they will still need to set aside around $5 million to sign their rookies for 2014.

#3- Mario Williams deal is NOT getting restructured. the soonest he will get cut is after 2015 ($7 mil of dead money).

#4- the "rollover" money is uncertain and more of a one time thing. we will have some again in 2014 but may not have any in 2015.

#5- then you have your own Unrestricted Free Agents (UFA) after this season like: Scott Chandler, Alex Carrington, Moats, Branch, Choice, Legursky.

#6- might need to make more room if we sign Byrd long term.

#7- will they create more cap space by cutting some players ? absolutely (Kolb, Brad Smith)

we are just not in as great a Cap Space position as it looks.

folks keep asking "why are they sitting on over $22 million in cap space"

#1- because $19 million of it will be used up by their core players in scheduled increases if they do nothing.

#2- they will still need to set aside around $5 million to sign their rookies for 2014.

#3- Mario Williams deal is NOT getting restructured. the soonest he will get cut is after 2015 ($7 mil of dead money).

#4- the "rollover" money is uncertain and more of a one time thing. we will have some again in 2014 but may not have any in 2015.

#5- then you have your own Unrestricted Free Agents (UFA) after this season like: Scott Chandler, Alex Carrington, Moats, Branch, Choice, Legursky.

#6- might need to make more room if we sign Byrd long term.

#7- will they create more cap space by cutting some players ? absolutely (Kolb, Brad Smith)

we are just not in as great a Cap Space position as it looks.

Your point #5 if the big world of NFL players that actually produce are all arguably scrubs including Chandler.

Also don't forget we can roll the unused cap space this year on top of our allotted cap space next year, so it will be normal cap+22.5 mil next year

This part isn't correct.

Around 10m of that $22.5mil cap room money is rollover cap money from last season. This does not get re-rolled into future seasons.

Assuming that $22.5mil figure is accurate, only $12.5mil would be rolled over onto the 2014 cap.

To my knowledge, our cap space figure is now actually just under $19mil. This means we will be rolling over only $9mil onto next years cap. A cap that from all reports is not going to be increased much (maybe up to $126mil).

As we have already a 2014 projected cap number of $109mil which doesn't include Byrd, Carrington, Chandler, Moats, Summers and a raft of others(including the 2014 rookie class), the Bills not spending more $$$ this season is actually sound cap management for the immediate future(2014).

On a side note, I am extremely interested/curious/amused at the situation the Cowboys have put themselves in. They are already projected to be at $144mil cap spending in 2014 plus FAs & rookies......and the cap looks to be only increasing to $126mil. ....and they have already extended several key players contracts. I look forward to their cap demise.

edit: sorry, didn't follow rest of thread....already been corrected.

I could be wrong but I thought I read something about how they were taking a bigger hit this year on Fitz's contract so there wouldn't be any next year. Anyone know the specifics on this?

No, twas the opposite......but due to the rollover ability, the end result will be exactly the same result on the 2014 cap(unless we spend into our rollover from last season).

Edited by Dibs

This part isn't correct.

Around 10m of that $22.5mil cap room money is rollover cap money from last season. This does not get re-rolled into future seasons.

Assuming that $22.5mil figure is accurate, only $12.5mil would be rolled over onto the 2014 cap.

I keep reading in various threads that unused cap room can't be "re-rolled" into future seasons, but I have never seen a link to back up that claim. Maybe there's verification for your interpretation of the salary cap rules and I just missed it, or maybe the "common wisdom" is more common than it is wise.

I don't consider what my own search found to be the final say on the matter, but consider this:

http://profootballta...-automatically/

Under Article 13, Section 6(b)(v) of the CBA, each team may carry over any remaining cap room from one year to the next by submitting written notice, signed by the owner of the team, to the league office no later than 14 days before the start of the next league year. The written notice must indicate the maximum amount of cap room that the team wishes to shift from one cap year to the next.

The fans in each city should be clamoring for the maximum remaining cap room to be carried over, and the media in each city should be poised to get a full explanation if the full amount isn’t carried over.

Meanwhile, we’ll try to think of a plausible explanation for not carrying over the cap space. If nothing else, the excess cap space from 2011 will create excess cap space in 2012 that can be carried into 2013, and so on, until the need arises to use it.

And I've actually read the cited section of the 2011 CBA, and it says nothing one way or the other about whether unused cap room can be "re-rolled:"

http://images.nflpla...les/2011CBA.pdf

(v) Carrying Over Room. A Club may "carry over" Room from one League Year to the following League Year by submitting notice in writing signed by the owner to the NFL no later than fourteen (14) days prior to the start of the next League Year indicating the maximum amount of Room that the Club wishes to carry over. The NFL shall promptly provide a copy of any such notice to the NFLPA. The amount of Room carried over will be adjusted downward based on the final Room available after the year-end reconciliation."

All of the salary cap rules are contained in the CBA. It's possible that some other section of the lengthy CBA prohibits "re-rolling" unused salary cap space, but if such a provision exists, I haven't seen it.

Do you have a link to support your interpretation of the rollover rules? If not, can you show me where in the CBA it prohibits "re-rolling" unused cap space?

Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead

I keep reading in various threads that unused cap room can't be "re-rolled" into future seasons, but I have never seen a link to back up that claim. Maybe there's verification for your interpretation of the salary cap rules and I just missed it, or maybe the "common wisdom" is more common than it is wise.

I don't consider what my own search found to be the final say on the matter, but consider this:

http://profootballta...-automatically/

And I've actually read the cited section of the 2011 CBA, and it says nothing one way or the other about whether unused cap room can be "re-rolled:"

http://images.nflpla...les/2011CBA.pdf

All of the salary cap rules are contained in the CBA. It's possible that some other section of the lengthy CBA prohibits "re-rolling" unused salary cap space, but if such a provision exists, I haven't seen it.

Do you have a link to support your interpretation of the rollover rules? If not, can you show me where in the CBA it prohibits "re-rolling" unused cap space?

I used to have a link saved to all of these things(for just this sort of occurrence) but my computer died and I lost them all....

Here is one from a quick search I just did.

http://www.spotrac.com/terms/nfl/can-a-team-carry-excessunused-cap-space-into-the-next-year-295/

Teams cannot rollover money that was rolled over in the previous year.

UPDATED:

$19,408,017.00 current available cap space.

BAD NEWS....most of it is going to be used up next year with the players we already have.

Mario - $12.4 - $18.4

Stevie - $5.6 - $8.5

Kyle - $5.9 - $5.8

Marcell - $5.5 - $6.5

CJ - $3.7 - $4.2

Freddy - $3.7 - $3.7

Eric Wood - $5.0 - $5.3

Leodis - $3.0 - $4.2

Pears - $2.8 - $3.5

Urbik - $2.8 - $3.3

TOTAL - $56.1 - $73.4

This part isn't correct.

To my knowledge, our cap space figure is now actually just under $19mil. This means we will be rolling over only $9mil onto next years cap. A cap that from all reports is not going to be increased much (maybe up to $126mil).

As we have already a 2014 projected cap number of $109mil which doesn't include Byrd, Carrington, Chandler, Moats, Summers and a raft of others(including the 2014 rookie class), the Bills not spending more $$$ this season is actually sound cap management for the immediate future(2014).

On a side note, I am extremely interested/curious/amused at the situation the Cowboys have put themselves in. They are already projected to be at $144mil cap spending in 2014 plus FAs & rookies......and the cap looks to be only increasing to $126mil. ....and they have already extended several key players contracts. I look forward to their cap demise.

edit: sorry, didn't follow rest of thread....already been corrected.

No, twas the opposite......but due to the rollover ability, the end result will be exactly the same result on the 2014 cap(unless we spend into our rollover from last season).

The cowboys and a few others deal with this annually with few major issues. I think were so used to being 5-10m under even in our big years that we don't realize how often teams dance on the edge.

With Dallas going Tampa 2 don't be surprised if their high priced secondary gets a makeover saving some dollars. Add a restructure or two in and they'll be right near the cap.

All you need to know is that the Bills have over $20M in cap room left over this season and yet they are rolling dead money into next season.

I am kind of incredulous that Bills fans know this........yet are concerned about the cap next year.

I am critical of the Bills organization but by no means do I think they are so stupid that they would do that and then somehow end up in a spot where they didn't have enough money to field the team they intended to.

They simply aren't going to be spending any closer to the cap then they have to.

The issue regarding the cap gets tiresome. The Bills have their business model and they stick to it. Is it unique to the rest of the league or is a standard approach that a segment of the teams also abide by? I suspect they do what some others do with a little more stringency. You can look for conspiracies and fiscal manipulations all you want: They simply do what they usually do with respect to finances and managing their cash flow.

You don't have to be a forensic accountant to observe how they manage their money. There is nothing new here. Don't be distracted by a side issue that has for a long time been ingrained in how this franchise is run. If you make the mistake of getting sucked into that realm of business instead of the realm of football your focus will be distracted from the fun part of the business i.e. the product on the field.

There are people here who act as if it is a crowning achievement when the franchise spends a certain amount of money. For them they find it acceptable that they are allowed to participate in the NFL. It is like a little brother being allowed to play in a game with his big brother, even though he is on the sidelines carrying the water bucket.

My point is don't get stuck in the muck of how the business is being run unless you want to get involved in an activity that is going to frustrate you. Put more attention on the football operation. From that standpoint I see some good things happening. EJ is a player and plays the position that is the foundation for success in this league. Brandon was play acting as a GM but as President of the franchise he has put together a quality football team to manage the football side of the business. Whaley, Marrone and his staff are qualitatively better than the prior retread and whacky hires. I don't want to get too carried away but for me this organization has gone from being an odd-duck organization to being normal. For this aberrant organization that is a great leap forward.

In other words don't get too immersed with the $$$$ numbers----- just watch the games. It's about having fun---not getting aggravated.

assuming Mario plays at the same level he did last year, his contract will not be restructured or terminated until after 2015.

Mario Williams will have already received $40 million in CASH in the first two years of his deal !!

$19,000,000 Signing Bonus 2012

$ 5,900,000 Base Salary 2012

$ 100,000 Workout Bonus 2012

$25,000,000 TOTAL CASH 2012

$ 8,000,000 Option Bonus 2013

$ 6,500,000 Base Salary 2013

$ 500,000 Workout Bonus 2013

$15,000,000 TOTAL CASH 2013

$40,000,000 TOTAL CASH GIVEN 2012 & 2013

$ 9,800,000 CAP HIT 2012

$12,400,000 CAP HIT 2013

$17,800,000 DEAD MONEY if cut after year 2013.

$ 1,900,000 BASE SALARY 2014

$10,600,000 ROSTER BONUS 2014

$ 500,000 WORKOUT BONUS 2014

$13,000,000 TOTAL CASH PAID 2014

$18,400,000 CAP HIT 2014

$53,000,000 TOTAL CASH GIVEN THRU 2014

$40,600,000 TOTAL CAP HIT THRU 2014

$12,400,000 DEAD MONEY IF CUT AFTER 2014

$12,100,000 BASE SALARY 2015

$ 1,000,000 ROSTER BONUS 2015

$ 500,000 WORKOUT BONUS 2015

$13,600,000 TOTAL CASH GIVEN 2015

$19,000,000 CAP HIT 2015

$66,600,000 TOTAL CASH GIVEN THRU 2015

$59,600,000 TOTAL CAP HIT THRU 2015

$ 7,000,000 DEAD MONEY IF CUT AFTER 2015

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/mario-williams/

Edited by papazoid

I used to have a link saved to all of these things(for just this sort of occurrence) but my computer died and I lost them all....

Here is one from a quick search I just did.

http://www.spotrac.c...-next-year-295/

Teams cannot rollover money that was rolled over in the previous year.

Maybe we are getting all tied up in semantics about what it means to "re-roll" unused cap room. The following link is to just a Seattle fan's blog, but it relays a tweeted explanation provided by Brian McIntyre (a guy who writes a blog on the nfl.com site). It shows that a team's unused cap room from 2011 can be carried over to 2012 and added to the league-wide standard cap for 2012. That higher, combined figure then becomes the team's adjusted cap for 2012. If the team spends less than its adjusted 2012 cap figure in 2012, it can then carry over the full amount of the unused 2012 adjusted cap to 2013.

Each year a team can only roll over the unused part of that same year's adjusted salary cap to the next year, but there is never any need to subtract out the amount of unused salary cap from some earlier year.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2012/7/17/3165014/nfl-salary-cap-team-rankings-rolloever

I received a timely response tweet from Brian McIntyre, a longtime salary cap and blogging master who currently works for NFL.com's "Around the League" blog. Brian explained how the salary cap rollover really works . . .

In the Seahawks case, I deduce that they spent $99M in salary cap in 2011, since the NFL league cap was $120M and they rolled $21M. There are things called "adjustments," which I won't get into in this blog, but the 2013 [sic] Seahawks Adjusted Cap worked out to be $143M (it's not as simple as $120 + $21 = $141M).

Right now the Seahawks are spending $134.5M in 2012 salary cap, and have $8.5M in cap room. If the Seahawks do not cut any of their 51 highest paid players out of the 89 currently on the roster, they will be able to roll $8.5M into 2013.

The above explanation seems consistent with the previously cited section of the 2011 CBA (linked above).

So for the Bills, any portion of the team's current adjusted salary cap that doesn't get spent this year can be rolled over to next year, even though they did the same thing last year.