Buffalo News reporting Byrd wants traded by Oct. 29 deadline

YoloinOhio

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No agent should accept $1.5mil less than what (s)he feels is fair market value for their client. If Parker felt he could get that much and a long term deal elsewhere then he not only had the right to play it the way he did, but he had the obligation to Byrd as well.

It's just business. Parker and Byrd are looking out for their interests just like the Bills are looking out for theirs. This one seemingly has escalated to a decidedly adversarial situation unfortunately with Bills players and fans caught in the middle.

If Byrd in deed had plantar fascitiis last year and played through it, the best course of action may have been to get a long term deal for Byrd before it becomes worse (in case it did get worse). THAT would have been in the best interest of the player and the agent. If he's broken, value goes down quickly!

Ultimately, I agree with Badol... it doesn't matter what Byrd or his agent thinks, wants or says, it matters only how Byrd prepares and plays, and how much other teams are willing to pay for him, which better be very high. Right now, the only thing we know from the Bills is that Doug Marrone thinks Byrd is working his ass off to get better and get out on the field. The Bills should just play him and make him earn his franchise tag pay, and entertain offers for him. Unless they get a great offer, he stays and plays.

I would be shocked if he dogs it in practice or in games, although it is possible, and I would be very surprised if he becomes a locker room cancer. He doesn't seem like that kind of guy. He and Parker are just doing what they are allowed to do under the rules.

Agreed. I don't think there will be a team to offer a #1 and make him a top 3 salaried safety long term. I would hate to think the new regime is willing to just give him away, especially with our other defensive backfield players at this time.

At a certain point, they might be willing to just give him away. The alternative is having a disgruntled player this year on a bad team who will be gone next season. There is not a snowball's chance in hell that the Bills will pay him $8.3 million next season. Anyone who thinks they plan to franchise him two years in a row is crazy. The point is that the Bills don't hold all of the cards given that they'll want to get something from him if the team starts out poorly this season and they have to start planning for the next one (by, say, early to mid-October).

I won't even attempt to read all 14 pages. All I will say is HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAa what a moron.

He holds out signing until the last week of PS and then shows up with a "foot injury"

How stupid is he? He won't get squatt in trade offers if he needs a few months off to heal and or surgery and then time to heal.

OR

he's faking it ... and what team wants a player who fakes it? other than the Putrids

When exactly did he hurt his foot?

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

I don't understand his thinking. He's essentially holding out as long as he can to try to orchestrate a trade. It doesn't sound like he understands the business particularly well, or he's getting bad advice. The team is going to want a ridiculous amount in return, and I can't imagine any team would be willing to give up what the Bills will be asking.

Especially with Parker as his agent.

A lot of people say this... But do you think it's perhaps that we don't understand exactly what's going on as opposed to Parker not understanding? You know since he's a professional and actually knows what the discussions have been and future goals are?

100% agree. Clearly, Parker has not found anyone who will give the Bills a decent trade, so him and Byrd are back to whining. I'd tag his a@@ next year and sit him again. Costly, yes, but a message must be sent.

Retaliation is a foolish approach to business. The Bills are in a great situation. They have played this well.

Anything Byrd does aside from go and play at a Probowl level hurts his long term value. This includes locker room troubles, injuries both real and fake, or really anything other that being a good solder and great player. Also a new defense and coaching staff is a clear risk to repeating a Probowl performance.

They have him under contract and can tag him again and thus have right of refusal for any trade offer. Parker is going to need to squeeze equitable picks or talent out of other teams to make it work, so the Bills essentially outsource the trade talks to someone with different leverage.

I am highly impressed with how the team has handled this one without mortgaging the future or handing an inflated deal to a guy that is Likely not going to live up to his market value established in 2012...

A lot of people say this... But do you think it's perhaps that we don't understand exactly what's going on as opposed to Parker not understanding? You know since he's a professional and actually knows what the discussions have been and future goals are?

You're absolutely right on that. I have no inside knowledge of the NFL whatsoever, but I know historically that holdouts and protracted disputes usually don't end in the player's favor. I understand the need to make the most money possible, since the average player's time in the NFL is about four years. All players are one serious injury away from effectively ending their careers.

So I see both sides of it. Personally, I hope he gets whatever he's looking for. But historically, NFL teams tend to shy away from players who appear to be divas.

In reality he may not be, but appearances count for a lot. Especially if he wants to be traded to a contender.

At this late stage in season preparations, it's unlikely that any other teams is going to be willing to pay the Bills asking price, which would be at least a #1, plus multiple other draft picks, plus a player.

Edited by gobillsinytown

I remember a thread last week or the week before where Byrd was OPEN to a trade. Ian from nfl network reported that.

Everyone was crying because there was no link... A very big majority was bashing Homey D Clown.

Now how do you guys feel? :bag:

When an nfl reporter gets the vibe that a player is open to a trade, what was Ian Rapaport implying????? Of course Byrd wants $$$$ or be traded. It's just that simple.

At a certain point, they might be willing to just give him away. The alternative is having a disgruntled player this year on a bad team who will be gone next season. There is not a snowball's chance in hell that the Bills will pay him $8.3 million next season. Anyone who thinks they plan to franchise him two years in a row is crazy. The point is that the Bills don't hold all of the cards given that they'll want to get something from him if the team starts out poorly this season and they have to start planning for the next one (by, say, early to mid-October).

Then you might as well just waive a white flag if you are the Bills. Then expect every future negotiation turn into a tire fire because every agent will know that when things get uncomfortable the Bills will punt.

Do you want to be THAT team?

Parker may well have a $9M deal from some team if Byrd were "clean" but that's the rub, isn't it? Byrd isn't free. The Bills are not going to set him free. So when Parker says his client is worth X as a free agent it means jack squat!

Correct me if I'm wrong but if the Bills put Byrd on IR then he is done for the year, correct? That includes trades? So the Bills can shut him down for the year by putting him on IR. That could be the next chess move by the Bills against Parker. Go ahead and wheel and deal, Eugene. We can shut your guy down. I mean he is injured, right?

PTR

I won't even attempt to read all 14 pages. All I will say is HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAa what a moron.

He holds out signing until the last week of PS and then shows up with a "foot injury"

How stupid is he? He won't get squatt in trade offers if he needs a few months off to heal and or surgery and then time to heal.

OR

he's faking it ... and what team wants a player who fakes it? other than the Putrids

When exactly did he hurt his foot?

Read the full 14 pages and you'll know. :ph34r:

I remember a thread last week or the week before where Byrd was OPEN to a trade. Ian from nfl network reported that.

Everyone was crying because there was no link... A very big majority was bashing Homey D Clown.

When an nfl reporter gets the vibe that a player is open to a trade, what was Ian Rapaport implying????? Of course Byrd wants $$$$ or be traded. It's just that simple.

The bashing took place, not due to the absence of a link, but because it was reported that Byrd had actually stated that he was seeking a trade. That had not occurred and the person who posted it became belligerent about it. Byrd has been open to a trade; and the Bills have been open to trading him, from the onset. I think most people have realized from day one that Byrd wanted to go to the team that would pay him the most money, as most players do. Most people have also realized that Brandon and Whaley (based on letting Levitre walk) aren't the "overpay for less-significant positions," types of execs.

Then you might as well just waive a white flag if you are the Bills. Then expect every future negotiation turn into a tire fire because every agent will know that when things get uncomfortable the Bills will punt.

Parker may well have a $9M deal from some team if Byrd were "clean" but that's the rub, isn't it? Byrd isn't free. The Bills are not going to set him free. So when Parker says his client is worth X as a free agent it means jack squat!

Correct me if I'm wrong but if the Bills put Byrd on IR then he is done for the year, correct? That includes trades? So the Bills can shut him down for the year by putting him on IR. That could be the next chess move by the Bills against Parker. Go ahead and wheel and deal, Eugene. We can shut your guy down. I mean he is injured, right?

PTR

Promo, the problem is that there is absolutely no chance that the Bills will franchise him next year with a 20 percent raise given his feelings about playing here and the amount of money involved. None. Nada. Zilch. Zero.

At a certain point, the Bills can play this like it's a duel to the death with Parker in order to mark their territory, or they can try to extract something from a bad situation (i.e., a second round draft pick in 2014). I'm skeptical of slippery slope arguments, and I don't think that "losing" here points to anything in the future. It's not as if the Bills have problems with other agents. They aren't regarded as the sort of team that agents hate. They're generally regarded as a rational organization in this area (despite the fact that they're not very good). Moreover, I honestly think that the Bills regard him as too much of a risk for a long term contract given the foot. There's no happy meeting ground in this story.

Edited by dave mcbride

I don't think you got why homey caught a hard time, cause regardless of how this plays out he had the quote wrong still

Define decent. Is a 3rd round pick decent? A fourth? What message are you sending to the next guy in line?

That you are not going to be bullied into giving a crybaby with a degenerative condition best safety in the league money and that your offer of 7 million per year long term was more than fair considering he could literally be out of football in two years or completely ineffective with that condition...

If I was one of his teammates I'd be pissed the F off at him for being selfish, greedy and putting himself first before the team, especially since the offer the Bills was more than fair given the circumstances. Players understand when the team is trying to screw the player but I'm pretty sure in this case they feel like Byrd is basically giving them all the middle finger as well with his schtick...especially with the condition he has, his demands were completely unrealistic...

Byrd seems like a player who is me first and more interested in pro bowl appearances than playoff appearances...

Edited by matter2003

PTR

Hypothetically speaking:

- If the Bills place Byrd on IR

AND

- If Byrd feels he is healthy enough to play

AND

- Byrd finds a doctor that agrees with him,

he could file a grievance via the NFLPA. If he won, he would become an UFA. That's essentially what Steve Christie did a few years back.

Promo, the problem is that there is absolutely no chance that the Bills will franchise him next year with a 20 percent raise given his feelings about playing here and the amount of money involved. None. Nada. Zilch. Zero.

At a certain point, you can play this like it's a duel to the death with Parker, or you can try to extract something from a bad situation (i.e., a second round draft pick in 2014). I'm skeptical of slippery slope arguments, and it's not as if the Bills have problems with other agents. They aren't regarded as the sort of team that agents hate. They're generally regarded as a rational organization in this area (despite the fact that they're not very good).

You can tag and trade him

You can withdraw the tag before he signs if its a train wreck

There's almost no way he's not signed or tagged unless this season goes in a nearly unheard of direction

PTR

This notion intrigues me. Is this true, can the Bills do this for "plantar fascitiis"? If so, the Bills hold the ultimate trump card if he is truly sandbagging it to get traded or not franchised again. He would sit on the sidelines and his value would diminish because he's been away from a real game for an entire year.

That you are not going to be bullied into giving a crybaby with a degenerative condition best safety in the league money and that your offer of 7 million per year long term was more than fair considering he could literally be out of football in two years or completely ineffective with that condition...

If I was one of his teammates I'd be pissed the F off at him for being selfish, greedy and putting himself first before the team, especially since the offer the Bills was more than fair given the circumstances. Players understand when the team is trying to screw the player but I'm pretty sure in this case they feel like Byrd is basically giving them all the middle finger as well with his schtick...especially with the condition he has, his demands were completely unrealistic...

Surely you can point to some mid 20's guys that were big time players that had careers ended by PF? I genuinely can't think of any offhand and am curious, not being argumentative with that one