Buffalo News reporting Byrd wants traded by Oct. 29 deadline

YoloinOhio

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, there are no direct quotes from the agents, and usually you don't hear the player's negotiating position directly. But there's been enough reporting from various "sources" as to what each side's position was.

But I will also put my broken record on. The demand that Byrd be the highest paid safety in the game came from that Benigni tweet, and I think mischaracterizes the situation. I believe that Parker's demand is that Byrd get the highest paid safety contract in 2013 free agency, which would likely make him the highest paid safety. To me that's a big distinction. The contract mark gets reset each spring, and the guys who are free agents at the time benefit from the contract escalations. The Goldson deal established the mark, and Byrd's deal should have been in line with that deal.

I get that, I am just saying think there could be lots of reasons for the impasse...could be as you state simple as being highest paid safety , in fact that is the most logical reason.

But, if could also be asking for a three deal to hit UFA again while still in his 20's . Or, he could be asking for a higher percentage guaranteed than is normal.

I just don't know, and if you put me in his situation , say I was a player for Arizona....I would want every penny as well

The Bengals are keen on running an offense with two good tight ends, which is good strategy. No way do they make that trade.

How do you know they're keen on running an offense with two good TEs? This is the first year they've had two good tight ends for as long as I remember. That doesn't mean they're keen on anything. They've always been known for taking best player available. Gresham could likely be had for the right price.

i know! can you believe it! he doesnt even have an interception yet this year! not even a tackle!

can we atleast let him play poorly before we criticize him for poor play? im pretty sure he played hurt last year in a scheme that the coach himself might not have understood yet alone the players and did pretty well. thats not to say he will for sure this year but he definitely hasnt proven he wont.

Umm, I was speaking hypothetically to a different poster, who suggested the Bills lose in this situation if he is unhappy and doesn't perform. Get it?

All I've heard publicly from the Bills is that they want to re-sign him to a long term deal.

GO BILLS!!!

i think we can only say a handful of things that are certain--

the bills would love to have him, but at their named price

the bills have and will continue to explore options to make sure they maximize value of an asset with good value - with or without byrd staying in buffalo.

byrd wants to be paid, whether in buffalo or somewhere else and after showing up and playing out his rookie deal like a good soldier he is willing to do what it takes to maximize his own worth, not his worth to buffalo - although those two things may at some point align.

Yup, there are no direct quotes from the agents, and usually you don't hear the player's negotiating position directly. But there's been enough reporting from various "sources" as to what each side's position was.

But I will also put my broken record on. The demand that Byrd be the highest paid safety in the game came from that Benigni tweet, and I think mischaracterizes the situation. I believe that Parker's demand is that Byrd get the highest paid safety contract in 2013 free agency, which would likely make him the highest paid safety. To me that's a big distinction. The contract mark gets reset each spring, and the guys who are free agents at the time benefit from the contract escalations. The Goldson deal established the mark, and Byrd's deal should have been in line with that deal.

In the Buffalo News piece today, it says that he'll be the 8th highest paid safety in the league this year.

Umm, I was speaking hypothetically to a different poster, who suggested the Bills lose in this situation if he is unhappy and doesn't perform. Get it?

my apologies, a bit frustrated and have seen several say the last week or so (really all offseason) that hes 100% not going to play well.

How do you know they're keen on running an offense with two good TEs? This is the first year they've had two good tight ends for as long as I remember. That doesn't mean they're keen on anything. They've always been known for taking best player available. Gresham could likely be had for the right price.

Because it has been reported on for a while: http://bigstory.ap.org/article/bengals-get-started-2-tight-end-offense.

You're looking at the short-term only. NFL teams, and the Bills in particular, have a choice whether to continue to let Eugene Parker play this game. The player doesn't win in this case either. Yes, he gets his 6.9 Mil for not a lot of production, but he hurts himself in the long run. You can tell me all you want that some team will pony up big cash, and I have no doubt one will. But it won't be top safety money, I would bee willing to bet my life on it.

Not after clearly playing the game like he has, not after performing poorly because "him not happy." And moreover, it sends a message to Eugene: Don't overplay your hand and expect us to cave in to you in the future. I see that as a win for the Bills.

Especially with Carrington looking so good and possibly about to breakout this year

In the Buffalo News piece today, it says that he'll be the 8th highest paid safety in the league this year.

In terms of "average" salary, which is a crock.

In actual salary this year, he is the 4th highest paid in the league.

And it's all about the guaranteed money anyway, with Berry having received $25m plus as the highest. Weddle and Goldson are at $19m and $18m, respectively.

GO BILLS!!!

so most of his high end play the last four years amounts to a couple of poorly thrown balls?

The 9 interception season came about from plenty of poorly thrown balls. I'm not saying that he isn't good but top safety money is for guys like Ed Reed or Polamalu. I have never heard anyone talk about Byrd they way they talk about guys like Reed and Polamalu. Other teams fear safeties like that. He isn't in the same class.

my apologies, a bit frustrated and have seen several say the last week or so (really all offseason) that hes 100% not going to play well.

It's all good. I'm not one that thinks he will pout and malinger. But he would certainly be harming his own future to do so.

I do NOT like Eugene Parker. I think he has overplayed his hand in this case, and continues to do so. It has become this game of chicken to see who will blink first. I want the Bills to stay the course and simply stick it to him as much as possible. He should not be rewarded for his tactics.

i wasnt speaking to you specifically, necasarily. i dont remember what your opinion was two weeks ago when he was showing up and we had no idea about the issue. many started on the "no way will he be in shape or have any chance of learning the playbook" then went to "omg hes faking an injury" to "HES CHRONICALLY INJURED YOU CANT PAY HIM" to "trade him for a first rounder so he can contribute to a super bowl run" in the matter of 2 weeks. when a single person goes through that entire progression, you have to question a little bit if they are thinking rationally or just grasping at reasons to be angry

I understand you weren't talking to me specifically; and I'm not trying to be a smartass either; I'm just describing a line of thought. I like Byrd when he plays and he was awesome last year. My thoughts on Byrd have spiraled downward this offseason however. He didn't get his contract but he's still getting paid pretty damn well this season so I expect him to produce.

The 9 interception season came about from plenty of poorly thrown balls. I'm not saying that he isn't good but top safety money is for guys like Ed Reed or Polamalu. I have never heard anyone talk about Byrd they way they talk about guys like Reed and Polamalu. Other teams fear safeties like that. He isn't in the same class.

Not that Polamolu isn't a great player, but he hasn't had a good season since 2011. Polamolu has played in 42 out of 64 games the last four seasons too -- he's missed about 1/3 of all Steelers games since 2009. Reed had a bad season last year too, if statistical analysis is to be believed.

Edited by dave mcbride

Byrd really has no leverage in these negotiations --- for sake of argument, let's say he has the best intentions and wants to play and is really hurt --- what does it say to other teams that he CAN'T play because of an injury, that ALL EXPERTS say heals with rest, when he spent last 8 months RESTING ?? --- now let's say, he doesn't have best intentions, that he is "orchestrating" a trade through an exaggerated injury and being a pain in the a$$, how does not playing and performing on the field play to the other 31 NFL teams ? ---- this guy is between a rock and a hardplace -- if he (and his agent) are smart, their best course of action is performing ON THE FIELD --- I've read that Parker normally tells his clients just that, "take care of your business, and I'll do the rest" -- we might all be making more of this than we should -- maybe we should wait and see how he performs on Sunday and then react

Albert Breer@AlbertBreer 7m

My sense is Byrd isn't pushing the trade issue hard right now. He also wouldn't be opposed to one. Doubt Bills do it, would be selling low.

Albert Breer@AlbertBreer 5m

I know Bills brass held to principle in previous talks. And value in dealing an injured guy who can't be extended til Feb likely not high.

Thank you, what I've been saying for a while now.

If, and I stress if, that's the case, then I can get on board with the mindset. That said, I think you're making a leap in logic that I haven't seen supported by any evidence or even hearsay, which isn't the case with the "highest paid" talk.

Know what I mean?

The problem with these types of reports is that the original quote or story gets recycled enough that it becomes the gospel truth. The line about Byrd needing to be the highest paid safety came from the Benigni tweet and people ran with it. There were plenty of stories in late spring, early summer that discussed Byrd's ask to be in the Goldson range. Here's a good summary from WGR. I think that Byrd is worthy of Weddle, Goldson type of contract.

Not that Polamolu isn't a great player, but he hasn't had a good season since 2011. Polamolu has played in 42 out of 64 games the last four seasons too -- he's missed about 1/3 of all Steelers games since 2009. Reed had a bad season last year too, if statistical analysis is to be believed.

True, both have seen better days as players and are on the downside of their career tracks.

That said, both of them redefined their respective positions. They were transcendent players at their positions.

Byrd? Not so much.

GO BILLS!!!

I know I am in a huge minority here, but I do not hate on Byrd for this situation.

#1) I think the team and Byrd and Parker have all been extremely professional to date. Seems to me, no negotiating in the press by either side...everything seems to be kept between the parties.

# 2) this trade request is a rumor at best. What if the Bills are the ones putting out feelers to gauge value?

#3) agree with Dave..sucks to be the player tagged...and if I am Jarius I am going for every last penny . I know the CBA gives the team this right, just sucks when you see other people getting long term security and not you.

#) I am prolly only person here does not believe he is faking injury

My position here is that the Franchise Tag is part of the equation, whether players like it or not. It is not as if Byrd did not have any choice in this matter. He did. He could have chosen to accept what ever offer the bills made, in which case he would have received his signing bonus and long term deal. Or he could have chosen not to. Byrd chose not to accept the offer. He also knew at the time of his decision, it would mean signing and playing under the one year tag or sitting out the season - or until he got traded. He then chose to sign and play for one year. There is no blame on either side because we do not know the details of the negotiations - and I have no ill will against him for making the decisions he made. However, once he made the decision to sign and play, he should have reported in time to learn the new system, get into playing shape, and be ready to play the opening game. I have no idea how serious his foot condition is. What I do see, is someone who wanted to take a purely business approach (which is his right) and then feel like it is personal when the organization does the same thing (which is their right). In the end, I see a player that has not been there for his teammates...and that is something I do have a problem with.

Dave - I wasn't trying to make a comparison to them now and Byrd now. What I was saying is that top safety money is a guy in that mold. I don't believe that Byrd is in that class. That's all.

My position here is that the Franchise Tag is part of the equation, whether players like it or not. It is not as if Byrd did not have any choice in this matter. He did. He could have chosen to accept what ever offer the bills made, in which case he would have received his signing bonus and long term deal. Or he could have chosen not to. Byrd chose not to accept the offer. He also knew at the time of his decision, it would mean signing and playing under the one year tag or sitting out the season - or until he got traded. He then chose to sign and play for one year. There is no blame on either side because we do not know the details of the negotiations - and I have no ill will against him for making the decisions he made. However, once he made the decision to sign and play, he should have reported in time to learn the new system, get into playing shape, and be ready to play the opening game. I have no idea how serious his foot condition is. What I do see, is someone who wanted to take a purely business approach (which is his right) and then feel like it is personal when the organization does the same thing (which is their right). In the end, I see a player that has not been there for his teammates...and that is something I do have a problem with.

Exactly how I feel.

As for the "news" that Parker is trying to orchestrate a trade, what exactly did anyone expect? This is his MO, and since it has worked with the Bills before, he is trying it again. This is more of a media story, and paranoia of the fans, than anything else right now, I think. I expect that when the bullets start flying Byrd will be on the field and playing hard. If not, you would have to seriously question his character, and I do not expect it. We will see.

I have said it in other threads, and I'll say it here.... next up is Alex Carrington, Parker's other client currently on our roster, time to bench him now and cut your losses while he has yet to develop into a good player. Let someone else grow into our system.

I did not realize that. Too bad. Good as gone, now that he finally seems to be ready to play to his potential.

If Byrd and Parker believe he's the best safety in the NFL then the Bills should tell Parker to go find them a team that's willing to give them a 1st and a 3rd and they'll sign the trade agreement

immediately.

Certainly the best safety in the league is worth that right?

Right there! Bingo.

Exactly how I feel.

As for the "news" that Parker is trying to orchestrate a trade, what exactly did anyone expect? This is his MO, and since it has worked with the Bills before, he is trying it again. This is more of a media story, and paranoia of the fans, than anything else right now, I think. I expect that when the bullets start flying Byrd will be on the field and playing hard. If not, you would have to seriously question his character, and I do not expect it. We will see.

Agreed. I question the hell out of Parker and his tactics but until Byrd indicates he's putting himself before the team when he's between the lines, he gets all benefit of my doubt in the meantime.

GO BILLS!!!

Nevertheless, the information – from an executive on another NFL club and another agent who is not employed by Byrd – lends credence to the uncomfortable situation that exists between the Bills and their Pro Bowl safety.

I'm not buying it. I want hear Byrd acknowledge or deny this. Call him out coach Marone.

The problem is the contract situation. You don't get Byrd cleanly, you get Byrd playing under a 1-year contract at $7M, which can't be negotiated until the end of the season, and you can't franchise him again without paying a huge tender. Maybe you want him for your 2013 run and it's worth it, but if you're thinking long term, you can just sign him without giving up a pick in the winter.

Has a franchised player ever been traded after the July deadline?

That is what makes it hard for me to understand why Parker or Byrd would demand a trade. Parker and the Bills have to know Byrd's trade value is low given the fact he can't get a new deal from anyone until year's end. If he were traded, why would Parker make any promises to the new team when he could negotiate with 32 teams once the season ended? Why would any new team promise not to franchise Byrd again? It would be the only leverage they have.

For the trade partner, the major motivation would have to be a rental of a safety to put them over the top for this year. How many teams can be in a position to think that way about themselves before week one? If there is an injury to a safety for a team that is 4-1 and looking good I could see this changing, but that is a narrow field of potential teams and a narrow window of time.

For Byrd, I'm not sure I understand the motivation unless Parker thinks he has a deal in place with a certain team (collusion?). Maybe he has a few teams about which he feels comfortable enough about the prospects for a deal. That seems to be taking a lot on faith. It almost seems like Byrd would be better off playing for the Bills and opening up the field wider for 2014 (via trade or FA), than giving some sort of gentleman's agreement to his new team. He can't expect any new team to promise not to use next year's franchise tag can he? On paper that is the only potential advantage to Byrd the new team could offer that is not already there with the Bills. The only exception to this I can see at all is a crazy one where Byrd has a specific team in mind. Did he grow up in San Diego when his dad was playing? I doubt it is about something like that.

Clearing an immediate headache would be the only motivation I could see for the Bills trading Byrd, but if they do this they would be creating far bigger headaches down the road. Because Byrd can't negotiate with the new team, any draft pick would be too low (IMO). Again, only a wild scenario could make any sense. Is there another team with a player on a one year tender who would feel comfortable working with the Bills long term while Byrd went there and felt comfortable? I highly doubt that scenario.

I don't think a trade makes logical sense at all to Byrd, the Bills, or the new team from a practical point of view. All of the above was my roundabout way of saying that this seems to have become about winning to both Parker and the Bills. I think the Bills have made their share of mistakes over time with how the organization has been run, but this is supposedly a new regime. On the field it certainly seems like a new feeling from the coach to the new QB and at least one potential superstar in Spiller. Off the field who knows, but I am rooting for the Bills to win this apparent battle with Parker. Losing it will eventually erode whatever progress they make on the field. I like Byrd and losing his full capabilities on the field in 2013 hurts (I in no way expect him to play hard for the Bills this year....it is Parker's only leverage against the CBA). I'd rather lose Byrd for one year than lose the ability to leverage the CBA and basic negotiating tactics for a long time, with any player.

Its a business. I'm not mad at Byrd, I would love to have him on the team, more disappointed to hear something like this

This isn't "just business".

This is a KID with a lot of money that is clueless with an agent who is even more clueless.

I own a business. This isn't business. This is foolishness.

Isn't their a clause where the Franchise Tag mandates two first round picks, or has that passed? Not sure. I thought maybe you could sign him to a long term deal then trade him, but we aren't allowed to do that now that the date has passed. Can somebody help me clear this up

I don't think a trade makes logical sense at all to Byrd, the Bills, or the new team from a practical point of view. All of the above was my roundabout way of saying that this seems to have become about winning to both Parker and the Bills. I think the Bills have made their share of mistakes over time with how the organization has been run, but this is supposedly a new regime. On the field it certainly seems like a new feeling from the coach to the new QB and at least one potential superstar in Spiller. Off the field who knows, but I am rooting for the Bills to win this apparent battle with Parker. Losing it will eventually erode whatever progress they make on the field. I like Byrd and losing his full capabilities on the field in 2013 hurts (I in no way expect him to play hard for the Bills this year....it is Parker's only leverage against the CBA). I'd rather lose Byrd for one year than lose the ability to leverage the CBA and basic negotiating tactics for a long time, with any player.

Woah, what curse of McLoughlin brought you out?

I think the above doesn't get discussed much.

What constitutes a win for each side? It's easy to gauge a win for the player/agent - to get the best long term contract. But what is a win for the team? Get the best contract from its side, or to build a winning program, knowing that sometimes you need to pay more than your comfort level?

I'm not buying it. I want hear Byrd acknowledge or deny this. Call him out coach Marone.

behind closed doors they likely all know the answers. calling him out publicly for the fans is a questionable tactic at best. well the speculation drives me crazy - id rather it continue behind closed doors.

Isn't their a clause where the Franchise Tag mandates two first round picks, or has that passed? Not sure. I thought maybe you could sign him to a long term deal then trade him, but we aren't allowed to do that now that the date has passed. Can somebody help me clear this up

No long term deal for Byrd until next season with the Bills or any other team. The window has closed for this season.

We really need to keep our own draft picks... 2nd rounders that perform like 1st round talent is what we need to get competitive.

We need to win some games, and then he'll be happy to be here and play through some pain.

Lastly he needs to realize we drafted him and moved him to safety where he could be successful, so take top 5 safety $ and be happy. He would not have been a pro bowl corner.